Do you love or hate Puerto Ricans and...

Do you love or hate Puerto Ricans and why?

Created by pollster on Sep 9, 2009

1,900 votes

Click on an option to vote

I Love them

I hate them

Not sure.

First Prev
of 60
Next Last
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#1 Sep 9, 2009
Americans of Puerto Rican roots is not the same as Puerto Ricans.

Jorge

Since: Jun 08

Plantation

#2 Sep 9, 2009
Jorge wrote:
Jorge
Are you prejudiced, Jorge?
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#3 Sep 9, 2009
Dave-Lopes wrote:
<quoted text>Are you prejudiced, Jorge?
Well, it is high time that we start calling things by their names.

The current confusion only benefits the colony.

The name Puerto Ricans should identify (only) those island born or stateside American who believes that Puerto Rico should have its own sovereignty.

Those who think that Puerto Rico should be a state of the union or remain a colony, should be addressed as Americans.

Jorge
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#4 Sep 9, 2009
Americans of Puerto Rican roots.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#5 Sep 9, 2009
Dave-Lopes wrote:
<quoted text>Are you prejudiced, Jorge?
He11 yes, agaisnt the colony and everything it represents.

I've always been honest about my feelings; hate the current state of things in Puerto Rico.
baba boo rishi

United States

#6 Sep 10, 2009
damn! let people call themselves what they want. other people will make up their own names for them. it's YOUR identity and if you dont have that, you have NOTHING.

all labels are meaningless
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#7 Sep 10, 2009
baba boo rishi wrote:
damn! let people call themselves what they want. other people will make up their own names for them. it's YOUR identity and if you dont have that, you have NOTHING.
all labels are meaningless
In a colony, everything has a meaning (according to Albizu).
baba boo rishi

Knoxville, TN

#8 Sep 10, 2009
anyone who is stupid enough to let someone else decide how to define him, deserves to be called whatever others choose to call him
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#9 Sep 10, 2009
baba boo rishi wrote:
anyone who is stupid enough to let someone else decide how to define him, deserves to be called whatever others choose to call him
When were Puerto Ricans imposed the U.S. citizenship?
Secret Asian Man

Oakland, CA

#10 Sep 10, 2009
Jorge wrote:
Jorge
I was born in America. But my parents were born in the Phillipines. Am I less Filipino because I was born in America?
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#11 Sep 10, 2009
Secret Asian Man wrote:
<quoted text>I was born in America. But my parents were born in the Phillipines. Am I less Filipino because I was born in America?
Do you have a passport from The Phillipines?

Since: Jun 08

Plantation

#12 Sep 10, 2009
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a passport from The Phillipines?
With all duer respect to you Jorge.

Jorge I think you are insulting Puerto Ricans in gneral by not allowing them to express their own Puerto Rican pride within themselves, whether they were born in the Island, as I was, or those who were born here from Puerto Rico Puerto Rican born parents.

Albizu Campos is now dead and his words are not for every Puerto Rican here and there, just for a few.
Please allow us Puerto Ricans to call themselves Puerto Ricans if they so choose without you defining it for them, as a one person out of many of us very proud to be Puerto Ricans, whether born here or there.

Thanks.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#13 Sep 10, 2009
Dave-Lopes wrote:
<quoted text>With all duer respect to you Jorge.
Jorge I think you are insulting Puerto Ricans in gneral by not allowing them to express their own Puerto Rican pride within themselves, whether they were born in the Island, as I was, or those who were born here from Puerto Rico Puerto Rican born parents.
Albizu Campos is now dead and his words are not for every Puerto Rican here and there, just for a few.
Please allow us Puerto Ricans to call themselves Puerto Ricans if they so choose without you defining it for them, as a one person out of many of us very proud to be Puerto Ricans, whether born here or there.
Thanks.
Don't feel insulted, its just my opinion.

I think Puerto Ricans are those who believe that sovereignty ought to rest in the island...regardless if these were born in the island or in the States.

Those of us who think that Puerto Rico ought to be a state (so that our sovereignty is shared with the rest of our nation), should feel that we are Americans, first.

I think it cuts on the confusion; it is a historical (as well as current) definition and it hits, the colonial issue, right in the bull's eye.

Jorge

P.S.

I hope that this explains where is that I am coming from.

Remember, we may be bonded by blood here, but we can also disagree and/or debate (to get to a new understanding).

¿Qué crees tú?

Te pregunto,¿crees en la estadidad para Puerto Rico?

Also, remember, one view is the one you have from the States, and a different one is the one that I have from our islands. One does not have to cancel the other...same issue, different views.

Can't wait for your reply or anyone else's.
Dave Lopes

Dania, FL

#14 Sep 10, 2009
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't feel insulted, its just my opinion.
I think Puerto Ricans are those who believe that sovereignty ought to rest in the island...regardless if these were born in the island or in the States.
Those of us who think that Puerto Rico ought to be a state (so that our sovereignty is shared with the rest of our nation), should feel that we are Americans, first.
I think it cuts on the confusion; it is a historical (as well as current) definition and it hits, the colonial issue, right in the bull's eye.
Jorge
P.S.
I hope that this explains where is that I am coming from.
Remember, we may be bonded by blood here, but we can also disagree and/or debate (to get to a new understanding).
¿Qué crees tú?
Te pregunto,¿crees en la estadidad para Puerto Rico?
Also, remember, one view is the one you have from the States, and a different one is the one that I have from our islands. One does not have to cancel the other...same issue, different views.
Can't wait for your reply or anyone else's.
No further comment.

I've already expressed what I feek and made my own point of view and what I think.

I wish not to further engage with you on this political controversy of who is Puerto Rican, according to you, and whi is not Puerto Rican, even though they know they are.

Good night Jorge...Peace...
HairyGuy

Fontana, CA

#15 Sep 10, 2009
Jorge wrote:
Americans of Puerto Rican roots.
Interesting concept.

I've been calling myself Puerto Rican American or American of Puerto Rican ancestry.

Jorge, which is more accuralte for someone like me who is the first generation born here in NYC?
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#16 Sep 10, 2009
It's interesting how every island born American and every state born American (of Puerto Rican roots) are vying for an identity.

This is what a colony does to its people.

It's time to say, bye, bye to the colony.

If stateside Americans (of Puerto Rican) want to be treated as Puerto Ricans; they have their motives to feel whatever is they feel.

Us, island Americans, have to define (first) what is it what we want.

Enough with the colonial confusion. We don't need to identify ourselves as Puerto Ricans, if some of us are demanding statehood.

Let those, island Americans, who want to rid the island of American influence, call themselves Puerto Ricans, for they can care less about American citizenship, anyways.

Jorge

PS

Remember, your socializing (in such a heterogeneous society, where identity is the way of life) is very different from a homogeneous, island society (where there's no need to identify ourselves socially, except by our last names).
Dave Lopes

Dania, FL

#17 Sep 10, 2009
An after thought.

This thing about being Puerto Rican, is a genetical DNA proven proud to be a PR thing, not to be confused with a political one....

Politics tends to take away or define people in one or the other, but their DNA defines them more clearly the more correct way.
If a parent is Puerto Rican and Puerto Rican born, his DNA is from Puerto Rican roots, not from American roots as there is no true Americans in America, except for the American Indians themselves.

We can all make a case and have our own opinions, but opinions are like azzes, we all have one.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#18 Sep 10, 2009
Dave Lopes wrote:
An after thought.
This thing about being Puerto Rican, is a genetical DNA proven proud to be a PR thing, not to be confused with a political one....
Politics tends to take away or define people in one or the other, but their DNA defines them more clearly the more correct way.
If a parent is Puerto Rican and Puerto Rican born, his DNA is from Puerto Rican roots, not from American roots as there is no true Americans in America, except for the American Indians themselves.
We can all make a case and have our own opinions, but opinions are like azzes, we all have one.
Told ya', opinions are like azzes...so true. But, thank God, that we can share them..I mean, our opinions (not our azzes...) lol...

Our DNA, yours and mine (have American Indian-Taíno blood), some Spanish (whatever that is...for it's got a little of everything there, from Roman, Iberian, Celtic, Visigoth, Arabian, Gaelic, Jewish, you name it) and African (also, whatever that is...for it may be a little of all the races there, also).

You are helping me define it more accurately. See, that's why I prefer to engage in exchanges.

My definition is political. Your definition is cultural; for we share the same DNA with (I would dare to say) with a lot more people (in the Caribbean) than we care to admit.

In this thread, I speak, mostly on political terms. So, from now on, I will make the difference.

Before we were Americans, we were Spanish (and those who believe that we were different from them; defined themselves as Puerto Ricans).

Jorge
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#19 Sep 10, 2009
HairyGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting concept.
I've been calling myself Puerto Rican American or American of Puerto Rican ancestry.
Jorge, which is more accuralte for someone like me who is the first generation born here in NYC?
Well, my brother Dave confronted me to revise my views.

It all depends how you feel, I guess.

I was posting to him that in a place as New York, so diverse; where an identity is forced by that state's special circumstances...the term Puerto Rican has a different meaning from (what Puerto Rican means) here in our islands, where (you know) that if your family hasn't been here (for at least a hundred years) you are still considered a foreigner. Our islands are more homogeneous.

Hundreds of thousands of our islanders can care less for their American citizenship.

Politically speaking, our island society is heading towards a final definition.

I guess that, once we define ourselves, that issue will not be as important as it is now in the colony.

If I would have been born in New York, to island parents...I would be called whatever is they taught me...and my own particular circumstances, revealed for me.

But, to think that each and everyone of us, holds the key to our true identity, is as preposterous as playing God.

Tu amigo,

Jorge
HairyGuy

Fontana, CA

#20 Sep 10, 2009
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, my brother Dave confronted me to revise my views.
It all depends how you feel, I guess.
I was posting to him that in a place as New York, so diverse; where an identity is forced by that state's special circumstances...the term Puerto Rican has a different meaning from (what Puerto Rican means) here in our islands, where (you know) that if your family hasn't been here (for at least a hundred years) you are still considered a foreigner. Our islands are more homogeneous.
Hundreds of thousands of our islanders can care less for their American citizenship.
Politically speaking, our island society is heading towards a final definition.
I guess that, once we define ourselves, that issue will not be as important as it is now in the colony.
If I would have been born in New York, to island parents...I would be called whatever is they taught me...and my own particular circumstances, revealed for me.
But, to think that each and everyone of us, holds the key to our true identity, is as preposterous as playing God.
Tu amigo,
Jorge
Jorge,

I hear you!!

I myself fear that with time the Puerto Rican Culture may be fully assimilated to the multi-everything that is the USA.

I fear losing the music of the Jibarito, the recipes of our cuisine, the land (El Campo) to builders that wish to create more housing, the mining uncontrollable of the land by Industry and the slash and cut logging by greedy timber industry if Puerto Rico becomes a State of the Union.

As the current status quo I believe selfishly that for now it works however many things need to be redefined in it's relationship with the mainland USA.

Lastly, as an autonomous independent country Puerto Rico I believe can not survive on it's own without much compromise.

It will not be able to maintain it's current standard of living.

Puerto Rico has a very limited Eco-system.

It relies heavily on imports from their mainland.

I believe by observing other Central and Southern American countries and their problems I fear in time what will PR turn into.

I do not have the answers or can clearly view the many complexities involved in this most controversial issue.

Jorge, Thank you for bring this issue to the Topix thread.

I wish to read and try to understand others feedback on this.

To conclude, all my life I have been and am very, very proud of my ancestry linked to Borinquen.

Although I love the USA, am proud to have served in the Armed Forces Honorably and reside in the mainland, my eyes tear up when I hear "El Lamento Borincano", my mouth drools extensively at the thought of Mofongo, Bacalaito frito and cold Mabi and when I see the Flag of PR, I stand a little taller and glow with a grin on my face.

This I know, Yo Soy BORICUA con todo el alma ....HG

..........In honor of my ancestors..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 60
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Puerto Rico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
US presidential hopeful Martin O'Malley visits ... 15 hr ALLANKs 1
PR's tourism weathering the storm of potential ... 15 hr ALLANKs 1
Puerto Rico will default 15 hr ALLANKs 1
If Puerto Rico is going down, it could start th... Fri ALLANKs 1
4 Reasons Independence Is the Right Path for Pu... Fri ALLANKs 3
why do puerto ricans look down on black america... (Sep '12) Fri I knoe 322
News Cuba's popularity concerns Caribbean tourism of... Jul 29 WE JUST DONT CARE 368
More from around the web