Birthday of Dr. Jose Celso Barbosa!

Birthday of Dr. Jose Celso Barbosa!

Posted in the Puerto Rico Forum

Since: Oct 12

West Islip, NY

#1 Jul 27, 2014
The first Puerto Rican to graduate from a US medical school.
Founder of the Republican Party on the island.
Father of the statehood movement.

Great man, great American.

Today he will be honored by what could possibly be the largest manifestation of the statehood movement to date. Virtually every statehooder I know on the island is going to the march and even a few from the mainland.
TPMP

New York, NY

#2 Jul 27, 2014
El nuevo dia says hundreds marched. Hardly a big showing.

For some reason El nuevo dia links don't go through anymore.

So, i found El Vocero.

http://elvocero.com/arranca-marcha-puerto-ric...

Most supporters of either of the 3 main parties hardly ever bother to march.

Who wants to march in the hot sun on Sunday no less?.

That aside...My late grandfather was a big statehood supporter.

==========

Besides, the election rallies.....The biggest PNP rally i ever to date saw was the manifestation of the support for the navy in Vieques by the PNP.

Now...That was huge and spirited..... Folks were fired up.

West Islip, NY

#3 Jul 27, 2014
LOL every other news source says thousands of marchers ... but El Popularrrrrrrr Dia says only 'hundreds'.

For sure, it's larger than anything the PIP and MUS can muster. Their rally on the 4th of July in Cabo Rojo had but a few dozen.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#4 Jul 27, 2014
LongIslander1987 wrote:
LOL every other news source says thousands of marchers ... but El Popularrrrrrrr Dia says only 'hundreds'.
For sure, it's larger than anything the PIP and MUS can muster. Their rally on the 4th of July in Cabo Rojo had but a few dozen.
Actually we were around 10,000 in marching under a heat wave of 104 degrees.

How's that for a first march?

In fact it is the first of many marches, until Washington respect our decision.

Heck, over 840,000 of us voted for statehood, as Ricky pointed out today, way more than what most of these same anti statehood congressmen get in their districts.

How many states became one with a 48% of the total vote?

We got over 60% in Nov. 2012.

The only card the colonialists, here and in Washington, have is either a new plebiscite, where their colony wins by a landslide, or even a simple majority, or win the next elections without celebrating any plebiscite, while continuing to ignore a solid mandate.

Either way, it will give Washington enough time to continue their colony while we celebrate constant marches and civil disobedience for the world to take notice.

In the meantime, where are the over 5 million stateside Ricans, if they love Puerto Rico so much?
Allan

United States

#5 Jul 27, 2014
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>

The only card the colonialists, here and in Washington, have is either a new plebiscite, where their colony wins by a landslide, or even a simple majority, or win the next elections without celebrating any plebiscite, while continuing to ignore a solid mandate.
Either way, it will give Washington enough time to continue their colony while we celebrate constant marches and civil disobedience for the world to take notice.
LOL , you are delusional ,There was no SOLID mandate, make it a yes or no vote for statehood and you will have your answer, the island keeps playing the confusion game with the 3 question game and I am quite sure you posted that you left the statehood question blank on one of your posts about the last vote.

we had a procession of maybe 25 cars packed with people parade up and down through town today, not sure if it was related but they seemed highly enthusiastic
Allan

United States

#6 Jul 27, 2014
By the way it only reached 90 today but the humidity did take the heat index up over 100

West Islip, NY

#7 Jul 27, 2014
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
Heck, over 840,000 of us voted for statehood, as Ricky pointed out today, way more than what most of these same anti statehood congressmen get in their districts.
In the meantime, where are the over 5 million stateside Ricans, if they love Puerto Rico so much?
10,000 marchers would be more like what I saw in the pictures. It was a great day for the statehood movement! Civil disobedience, strikes, and marches is what it took for Congress to end their Polynesian colony in the Hawaiian islands.

West Islip, NY

#8 Jul 27, 2014
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#9 Jul 27, 2014
LongIslander1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
10,000 marchers would be more like what I saw in the pictures. It was a great day for the statehood movement! Civil disobedience, strikes, and marches is what it took for Congress to end their Polynesian colony in the Hawaiian islands.
No other choice, my friend, no other choice.

I have always posted that the worst thing to happen to a US citizen is to be a powerless minority.

Its an insurmountable uphill battle.

On the other hand, we Puerto Ricans ,will have to grab the current anti Hispanic wave sweeping the US to create the "statehood for Puerto Rico cause" crisis. There's no other alternative, for the US Anglo majority hates being spotlighted, for the whole world to see, as a segregated, ethnic society.

We have to exploit the current anti Hispanic discrimination for our own cause, for we have been part of it for over a century.
TPMP

Astoria, NY

#10 Jul 27, 2014
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
"Actually we were around 10,000 in marching under a heat wave of 104 degrees"

(unquote)

We????

You weren't there, Jorge....You were right here most likely lurking as always. You got your news of the march just as quickly as we did here.
Allan

United States

#11 Jul 27, 2014
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
No other choice, my friend, no other choice.
I have always posted that the worst thing to happen to a US citizen is to be a powerless minority.
Its an insurmountable uphill battle.
On the other hand, we Puerto Ricans ,will have to grab the current anti Hispanic wave sweeping the US to create the "statehood for Puerto Rico cause" crisis. There's no other alternative, for the US Anglo majority hates being spotlighted, for the whole world to see, as a segregated, ethnic society.
We have to exploit the current anti Hispanic discrimination for our own cause, for we have been part of it for over a century.
How do you sleep at night telling so many lies ? the US majority is something you obviously know nothing about

West Islip, NY

#14 Jul 28, 2014
El Cacique wrote:
<quoted text> When I made that post. The news was still fluid. The march was still going on.
Besides, the fact that as you alluded to. El Nuevo dia is partial to populares. As El Vocero is to PNP.
You know.....Just like our mainstream media is partial to Israeli's. You get the picture.
Everything is partisan....Just a way of life. Unfortunately.
The media ... they always seem to have their own agenda.

I don't even read print newspapers anymore since the Long Island Press folded.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Puerto Rico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NewYorican Tuller may have his days numbered. (Dec '13) Sun gdawg 15
Why do Puerto Ricans THINK they're AMERICAN? (Oct '11) Jun 20 Moca red 1,168
Why do Puerto Ricans Hate African-Americans? (Jun '12) Jun 17 Jenny 163
News Angelica Campos (Jun '10) Jun 9 freddy 253
The US should make Puerto Ricans illegal. (Apr '11) Jun 6 Mix 61
News Another Condado murder: Body found could be the... (May '11) Jun 4 Puerto Rican love 29
San Juan during the Disco years. (Mar '14) May 29 Elana 23
More from around the web