Puerto Rico: More than 100 murders in...

Puerto Rico: More than 100 murders in less than a month – Primera Hora – 29/01/11

There are 255 comments on the www.primerahora.com story from Jan 29, 2011, titled Puerto Rico: More than 100 murders in less than a month – Primera Hora – 29/01/11. In it, www.primerahora.com reports that:

[Back by popular demand. - Robert McCarroll - Upfront Yankee]

The number of murders rose to over 100 in less than a month, with three deaths last night in Dorado, Puerto Nuevo and Cupey.

With a total of 101 violent deaths so far in January, killing dozens have been overwhelmed by the number reported by police of 76 murders in January 2010 and 56 January 2009.

At about 10:15 pm yesterday a man was killed in clashes in Avenida De Diego # 551, in Puerto Nuevo.

According to the police report, unidentified gunmen, Enrique Sánchez Carmona finalized a 23-year-old.

Carmona Sanchez, a resident of Carraízo of Trujillo Alto, was treated by paramedics at the scene before being transported to the Medical Center in Rio Piedras, where he was pronounced dead.

Luis Cordero's agent, assigned to the Homicide Division of Criminal Investigation Corps of the Region of San Juan and the prosecutor Jennifer Reyes, began investigating the death. Remains unknown motive.

In separate incidents another murder was reported at about 11:32 pm yesterday on Central Street, the neighborhood Mameyal in Dorado.

According to the police report, the deceased was identified as Miguel Alamo Feliciano, 31-year-old resident of Dorado. Was reportedly shot in different parts of the body, unknown from a moving vehicle.

Alamo Feliciano was transported alive to the CDT Dorado, where he was pronounced dead.

Agent Mariel Hernandez Homicide Division of Vega Baja and the Prosecutor Sergio Rubio Paredes investigated.

Moreover, a body shot, was found at the edge of Highway 199 in front of the Monte Athens in Cupey.According to the preliminary report, the unidentified man died from multiple bullet wounds in different parts of your body.

In the scene, they recovered 15 caps 9 mm and a gray motor Yamati brand.

The deceased was described as about 24 years old, swarthy complexion, eyes and curly brown hair, five feet tall, 130 pounds and has a distinctive oriental tattooed on his right calf.

José Rivera Padró agent, assigned to the Homicide Division of Criminal Investigation Corps of the Region of San Juan and the prosecutor Jennifer Reyes, began the investigation.

[Check the Primera Hora Puerto Ricans readers comments. Open above link.}

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.primerahora.com.

First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1 Jan 29, 2011
Using a pen name on a blog is the same as a protester wearing a mask...

How I miss the VOICES section of the Puerto Rico Daily Sun. I hope readers will submit lots of comments to the editors in order that this section will appear again.

What is wonderful about the Daily Sun's VOICES is that you must give your real name and not hide behind a phony name as on blogs like Topix.

I often expressed how I am totally against protesters wearing masks. It is not only cowardly but if you are going to accuse someone or an institution, you should be willing to identify yourself.

I recently realized that when I post a comment on Topix using a pen name, it is the same as wearing a mask.

Please editors and readers of the Puerto Rico Daily Sun make VOICES happen again. I miss it as a reader and as a contributor. I like the high standards set for VOICES -- and these standards are enforced by the excellent editors of the Daily Sun.

Location hidden

#2 Jan 29, 2011
Primera Hora

Statistics, 2009 and 2010 - See a map of the murders

Let us know your opinion regarding this item, you can also comment on other users.
You need to register and activate your account to participate.

To comment on Primera Hora...

You must register with your real name and indicate a contact e-mail. It is prohibited any insult or injury, threat of any kind or advances to or against any person.

Language is not permitted libelous, defamatory, infringing, obscene or offensive, disrespectful and use of nicknames in bad taste or messages that violate the privacy rights of others.

Primerahora.com reserves the right to decide what messages violate these rules, the Rules for Comment or Terms and Conditions of Use Primerahora.com , delete them without warning and remove a user that, in its sole discretion, violate the them. You are solely responsible for the content you contribute.

[I wish Topix has the same rules as Primera Hora.]
Halo

Fort Wainwright, AK

#3 Jan 29, 2011
Crime occurs in places where the behavior is tolerated and accepted as just a part of life. When citizens stand up and say no more, communities can rid themselves of the vermin that feed off decent people. Build more prisons, rid the country of corrupt cops, legalize drugs and clean up our beautiful Puerto Rico.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#4 Jan 30, 2011
Halo wrote:
Crime occurs in places where the behavior is tolerated and accepted as just a part of life. When citizens stand up and say no more, communities can rid themselves of the vermin that feed off decent people. Build more prisons, rid the country of corrupt cops, legalize drugs and clean up our beautiful Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico is not a country.

Location hidden

#6 Jan 30, 2011
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
Puerto Rico is not a country.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cou...

Merriam-Webster definition of country....

1 coun·try

noun \&#712;k&#601;n-tr &#275;\
plural countries

Definition of COUNTRY

: an indefinite usually extended expanse of land : region<miles of open country>
a : the land of a person's birth, residence, or citizenshipb : a political state or nation or its territory
a : the people of a state or district : populaceb : juryc : electorate 2
: rural as distinguished from urban areas <prefers thecountry to the city>
: country music
— coun·try·ish adjective

See country defined for English-language learners »

Examples of COUNTRY

The two countries have a lot in common.
They drove across the country from California to New York.
They are living in different parts of the country.
The whole country was stunned by the news.
The President has the support of most of the country.
He moved to the north country to fish and hunt.
We went camping in the hill country.
They drove through miles of open country.
She lives out in the country.
They prefer the country to the city.

Origin of COUNTRY

Middle English contree, from Anglo-French cuntree, contré,from Medieval Latin contrata, from Latin contra against, on the opposite side
First Known Use: 13th century

Related to COUNTRY

Synonyms: fatherland, home, homeland, mother country,motherland, sod
[+]more

Location hidden

#7 Jan 30, 2011
Since Puerto Rico is part of the nation called the United States of America, if Puerto Rico gets rid of crime or greatly reduces it, it is ridding the "country" of crime.

When Puerto Rico has one of the highest murder rates in the world, corrupt cops, citizens committing fraud with insurance claims, violence against women and animals, citizens in denial it harms the country which includes Puerto Rico as much as anh ond of the fifty states.

When something good or bad happens in Puerto Rico, it can be considered something good or bad happening in the country or nation of the United States. When I live in Puerto Rico, I am in America as much as went I live in anyone of the states.

There is a reason why the United States and Puerto Rican flags proudly fly together in Puerto Rico. Together these two wonderful flags mean a united people. A Puerto Rican is as much an American as a Yankee is.

By the way, my mother is French. Her ancestors fought in the French and Indian Wars way back before the American Revolution. It was Yankee country. My blood traces back to the beginning of a people called Yankees. My ancestors later fought in the American Revolution and as a result became Americans first and Yankees second.

The basic principles of American democracy runs in my blood. I will not allow any bigot to make me deny my love for country or for myself.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#8 Jan 30, 2011
Why is there negative news such as this continuoulsy posted in the Puerto Rico forum?
Factchecker

Eugene, OR

#9 Jan 30, 2011
Good for you, Yankee. But control yourself and ignore that which offends you here. Try to emulate what Jesus would do--turn the other cheek. In the long run, you will be rewarded.

An increase in the drug trade leads to an increase in the murder rate. Look at Mexico. I know it affects the tourist trade here, too. When I tell people I moved to Oregon from Puerto Rico they always ask how I could stand the crime for 6 years.

I always tell them the truth. I tell them that it is all confined to the cities in Puerto Rico. I always left my house in Puerto Rico completely unlocked. Here in Eugene I never do that even though I live behind a locked gate. That's because my neighbors are not a vigilant or concerned with each other as they were where I lived in Quebradillas.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#10 Jan 30, 2011
US voracious appetite for drugs....

US floods Puerto Rico with guns and ammos....

US artificially keeps high rates of poverty in its Puerto Rico colony.

This is the elephant in the room which no one in the US wants to address.

Is this the 21st century way to wipe out the Puerto Rican population?

By stimulating deaths among its young males in their reproductive years?

It goes hand in hand with the US (birth control) experiments on Puerto Rican females during the 20th century.

Since: Oct 10

San Francisco, CA

#11 Jan 30, 2011
Factchecker wrote:
Good for you, Yankee. But control yourself and ignore that which offends you here. Try to emulate what Jesus would do--turn the other cheek. In the long run, you will be rewarded.
An increase in the drug trade leads to an increase in the murder rate. Look at Mexico. I know it affects the tourist trade here, too. When I tell people I moved to Oregon from Puerto Rico they always ask how I could stand the crime for 6 years.
I always tell them the truth. I tell them that it is all confined to the cities in Puerto Rico. I always left my house in Puerto Rico completely unlocked. Here in Eugene I never do that even though I live behind a locked gate. That's because my neighbors are not a vigilant or concerned with each other as they were where I lived in Quebradillas.
My best friend lives in Aguadilla, and I concur that once you leave the big cities & towns in PR, the same neighborly concerns exist as existed where I grew up in Pennsylvania. I can remember adults forgetting where they had hung the house key because no one used a key. Our house key was hanging on the wall in the cellar staircase.

Eugene, OR , like all of Oregon, is a beautiful place. In today's world, unless you are in a small rural town, that hometown sense of security & familiarity is gone. We have become a transient society for many reasons like ease & speed of transportation & communication. Families are spread across the nation.

Thanks for the advice on ignoring the offensive attacks against my people & country. Although I have not been a regular visitor to this forum, I have let myself over-react to them.

Having lived 12+ years in San Juan and 50+ years in stateside cities, I'm keenly aware that the drug trade seems to flourish in particular neighborhoods as opposed to evenly across whole cities. When I would sit on my front porch in Ocean Park in the evenings, the nightly automatic weapon fire always came from the direction of Llorens Torres housing projects. The same bad neighborhood drug phenomenon exists in San Francisco, Chicago, LA, and NYC as in San Juan. It's a universal problem in urban areas. It is the same in London, Madrid, Berlin, Moscow, Rio de Janiero, and Acapulco. It's a scourge on today's society. It just happens to be worse in Puerto Rico than elsewhere. I wish it gone.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#12 Jan 30, 2011
Jota wrote:
<quoted text>... The same bad neighborhood drug phenomenon exists in San Francisco, Chicago, LA, and NYC as in San Juan. It's a universal problem in urban areas. It is the same in London, Madrid, Berlin, Moscow, Rio de Janiero, and Acapulco....

It just happens to be worse in Puerto Rico than elsewhere...
Another contradictory message exposed!
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#13 Jan 30, 2011
Is it "the same" or "worse"???

Which is it????

LOL

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ROTFLMAO hahahahahahahahahahaha
Halo

Fort Wainwright, AK

#14 Jan 30, 2011
Young and old alike are the victims of the drug culture, some through their own choice to use illegal drugs, and others because they happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Innocent victims are murdered because they have material goods or money that the drug addict needs to feed his habit.
We have lost the war on drugs. Legalize drugs. Sell marijuana at Walmart, hand out prescriptions for the rest of it, and use the proceeds to do a better job of educating people as to the danger of drug use and treat the addicts.
Puerto could end its financial dependence on the US by doing the same thing California and Montana are now doing with marijuana. The only difference is that Montana wasn't smart enough to collect some of the profit like California is doing.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#15 Jan 30, 2011
California and Montana are states which share a sovereignty with other 48 states.

while:

Puerto Rico is a US colony who lacks self sovereignty and is not allowed to any "share sovereignty" like the 50 states.

A colony is not allowed to pass laws which trespasses US' sovereignty.
justhefacts

Tahoma, CA

#16 Jan 30, 2011
This is and easy one to answer..
Hard to see or fix a problem unless the public hears about it.

For Example:

Island of Hawaii is close to the equator like P.R.

P.R.s counter part in the ocean.

Lets compare the different cultures in murders rates.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/15000...

Hawaii population 1,295,178 little less then 3 times P.R. population.

Hawaii only had 22 murders in 2009 being 1/3 pop. of P.R.

Using that comparable as an average, P.R. Murders in 2009 should be approx 66 murders in 2009, but will probally exceed 1,200 murders for 2011 for only 2/3 more in populaiton

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/hicrime.h...

Jorge here it comes the flip of the coin.

If Hawaii had 3.8 million people like P.R. their total murder rate would be approx 68 Murders. Not 1,200 murders that P.R> is projected to have if Jan 100+ murders per month continues.

That would mean P.R. has more murders in 7 days then Hawaii would have in 365 days.

Obviously theres somethnng fundmentally wrong with Puerto Rico on how they vaule life

Please dont bother to tell me its all about Drungs in P.R.

Hawwi has a serious drug probelem aslo but thre basic vaules of human life obviously are much different and better then P.R.

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2003/09/08/n...

http://www.thetreatmentcenter.com/hawaii/

http://www.ncbuy.com/health/drugs/us_hi.html

So you see Jorge, this News needs to be brought into the public eye to see how we stack up against things and how to better ourselves and our societies by seeing how we compare to others..
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#17 Jan 30, 2011
Let's have a geography test.

Where is Hawaii?

What drug producing countries are within a hundred miles from Hawaii?

How far is Hawaii from the 48 states?

What illegal drug producing countries want their merchadise to supply the US demands (fast enough)?

And this little test does not include Hawaii's power of forcing the feds to strengthen its coasts.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#18 Jan 30, 2011
See?

It's just a matter of "manipulating" negative facts against Puerto Rico under the disguise of "bettering..." without giving any solutions to the problem.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#19 Jan 30, 2011
I can trace my Boricua heritage even before our islands' Spanish historic period.

None of my ancestors MIGRATED here.

Which means that VOLUNTARY MIGRATION RULES AND ATTITUDES do not apply to me and most boricuas.

Except for Blacks, some stateside Hispanic and indigenous cultures; all Americans had to assimilate, integrate and whatever they had to do to be accepted in the new nation.

Americans' ancestors had to be grateful for being accepted in the US (as taught to every new generation of Americans).

Americans came uninvited to Puerto Rico and reverted our territory, from being an autonomous province with full representation, back to being a powerless colony....

There's no need for Puerto Ricans to be grateful for the US invasion of our territory.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#20 Jan 30, 2011
Upfront Yankee wrote:
Primera Hora
Statistics, 2009 and 2010 - See a map of the murders
Let us know your opinion regarding this item, you can also comment on other users.
You need to register and activate your account to participate.
To comment on Primera Hora...
You must register with your real name and indicate a contact e-mail. It is prohibited any insult or injury, threat of any kind or advances to or against any person.
Language is not permitted libelous, defamatory, infringing, obscene or offensive, disrespectful and use of nicknames in bad taste or messages that violate the privacy rights of others.
Primerahora.com reserves the right to decide what messages violate these rules, the Rules for Comment or Terms and Conditions of Use Primerahora.com , delete them without warning and remove a user that, in its sole discretion, violate the them. You are solely responsible for the content you contribute.
[I wish Topix has the same rules as Primera Hora.]
By insisting in reporting negative news, you're soiling, defaming, disrespecting, offending,(with your chosen bad press) Puerto Rico's and Puerto Ricans' good name and postive image.

What are you really doing by living in Puerto Rico, Bob?
justhefacts

Tahoma, CA

#21 Jan 30, 2011
Jorge wrote:
Let's have a geography test.
Where is Hawaii?
What drug producing countries are within a hundred miles from Hawaii?
How far is Hawaii from the 48 states?
What illegal drug producing countries want their merchadise to supply the US demands (fast enough)?
And this little test does not include Hawaii's power of forcing the feds to strengthen its coasts.
Gorge Drugs are drugs. THINK!!!!! Use common sense, A population can only physically take so many drugs period., weather its shipped through that state or not!!!

Obviously too much at once kills.

Jorge, heres how basic logic works.

Lets look at BEER as a "drug" and get a profile as to how much a society is prone to that alcohol drug. That usually reflects a "Dependency" percentage for a mass Prone to an addiction..

Ref. Daily Sun. Jan 6, 2011 page 5 under (local)

P.R beast calf with P.R. 308 road deaths. Calf has 37 MILLION possible drivers. P.R has 3.8 million possible drivers. calf DUI arrest 214,828.

http://www.numberof.net/number-of-dui-arrests...

Dam if this doesn't show a difference in types of people and their social habits what does.

So logic, and by my research P.R. obviously has a HUGE social problem with mind altering chemical dependencies.. weather it simply beer or illegal drugs.

Jorge Drugs are drugs and there everywhere. If you knew more about drugs and how that relates to education in mass and the lower that is the more prevalent drugs are used. P.R. is a mecca for that problem because over 40% of school kids quit school in P.R.

No education, cant find a good job, Drugs dealing for an income.

Basically P.R mass uneducated sets the stage for the score it gets of negative things

Out of 3.8 million in P.R. there were 825,000 citations for drunk driving in 2010. This is what the caught, with only 500 patrol cars and 1,200 officers in the 20 districts..

Heres the U.S. list and pay attention to that states Population and how tough they are for just for having an open container.

http://www.numberof.net/number-of-dui-arrests...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Puerto Rico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why do puerto ricans look down on black america... (Sep '12) 43 min I knoe 322
News Cuba's popularity concerns Caribbean tourism of... Wed WE JUST DONT CARE 368
Pedro Pierluisi Wed ALLANKs 11
Cacique says he has fully proven I do not live ... Wed ALLANKs 14
El nino Wed ALLANKs 27
News Aimbridge Hospitality buys 387-room hotel in Pu... Wed El Cacique 1
News Lessons learned from traveling with baby on Pue... Wed El Cacique 1
More from around the web