What are the most common names in Puerto Rico?

Posted in the Puerto Rico Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 46 Comments Last updated Mar 13, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#1 Mar 7, 2013
Both male and female if you know the originality of the names please feel free to include it.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#2 Mar 7, 2013
mysterysilence wrote:
Both male and female if you know the originality of the names please feel free to include it.
José, María, Juan (are the most commonly used)-though I have to check with on line records.

Other commonly used are Pedro, Francisco, Luis, Julio,(are the ones that now come to mind).

Juan is also Santiago (in Spain)-which by the way is Puerto Rico's and Spain's patron saint (it is celebrated on June 25-the shortest day of the year).

Jesús is another common name among Christians (in Puerto Rico).

English names became quite popular since the US began colonizing P.Rico,(as Russian names became popular in Cuba-after 1961).

Location hidden

#3 Mar 7, 2013
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
José, María, Juan (are the most commonly used)-though I have to check with on line records.
Other commonly used are Pedro, Francisco, Luis, Julio,(are the ones that now come to mind).
Juan is also Santiago (in Spain)-which by the way is Puerto Rico's and Spain's patron saint (it is celebrated on June 25-the shortest day of the year).
Jesús is another common name among Christians (in Puerto Rico).
English names became quite popular since the US began colonizing P.Rico,(as Russian names became popular in Cuba-after 1961).
Thanks, Jorge for including where the names came from. There's a lot of Jose's and Maria wow its countless of people that have those names. I notice in the states there's Puerto Ricans that have Jewish names. My name is from the middle east lol. I agree, there's also a lot of Puerto Ricans named after the disciples from the bible. Issac, Isaiah, Jeremiah are quite common for P.R. Males in the states.

Since: Oct 12

West Islip, NY

#4 Mar 7, 2013
www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/territory/puertori...
Check this page from the Social Security Administration website.

I was surprised by the amount of Anglo names on this list.

Location hidden

#5 Mar 7, 2013
LongIslander1987 wrote:
www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/ter ritory/puertorico2010.html
Thanks I will check it out...

Location hidden

#6 Mar 7, 2013
I just seen the name list wow, I seen the name Denzel lmaoo I don't know why that made me laugh.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#7 Mar 7, 2013
mysterysilence wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks, Jorge for including where the names came from. There's a lot of Jose's and Maria wow its countless of people that have those names. I notice in the states there's Puerto Ricans that have Jewish names. My name is from the middle east lol. I agree, there's also a lot of Puerto Ricans named after the disciples from the bible. Issac, Isaiah, Jeremiah are quite common for P.R. Males in the states.
We are Christian people, though tend not to practice it.

Just 1 out of 4 island Christians actually practice their faith.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#8 Mar 7, 2013
LongIslander1987 wrote:
www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/ter ritory/puertorico2010.html
Colonialism at its best.

Same thing happened in Cuba's Soviet style satellite-I think there are more Lenins, Ivans, Olgas, Vladimirs, you name it (in Cuba than anywhere in Latin America).
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#9 Mar 7, 2013
mysterysilence wrote:
I just seen the name list wow, I seen the name Denzel lmaoo I don't know why that made me laugh.
Sometimes you can tell the year a telenovela was a hit by someone's name and age....(and this is true for Latin America. as a whole).

LOL

Location hidden

#10 Mar 7, 2013
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes you can tell the year a telenovela was a hit by someone's name and age....(and this is true for Latin America. as a whole).
LOL
Yeah or when a celebrity dies, forget it LOL. I'm seeing less Spanish names than ever. Even with me I have no idea how my mom born and raised in Puerto Rico came up with my name LOL. I remember the telenovela "Thalia" years ago and how many baby girls were named after her. Also the young singer Aaliyah that died in a plane crash i think in 2001 and now is such a popular name.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#11 Mar 7, 2013
mysterysilence wrote:
Let me share what happened in my family (on both sides), for over 10 generations (since I can go back that far).

Up to all my grandparents (on both sides), the fact they were all Spanish (following the Spanish tradition of baby names); all were given whatever was the Saint's name on the day they were born, in order to have that Saint protect them (as I posted on the "facts about P.Rico thread).

Upon the American invasion, many of my aunts, uncles, cousins of my parents, were given English names (inluding my mom).

When the ELA kicked in (and the anti English and pro Spanish pendulum swung again) my generation were given Spanish names, again though not the ones posted in the Catholic calendar.

My nephews and cousins of the generation following me (except my NewYorican ones, don't know the reason), they were given old Spanish names (hardly found in Puerto Rico)-like Rodrigo, Cayetano, Carlota. etc.
etc.

Interesting, isn't it?

Location hidden

#12 Mar 7, 2013
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me share what happened in my family (on both sides), for over 10 generations (since I can go back that far).
Up to all my grandparents (on both sides), the fact they were all Spanish (following the Spanish tradition of baby names); all were given whatever was the Saint's name on the day they were born, in order to have that Saint protect them (as I posted on the "facts about P.Rico thread).
Upon the American invasion, many of my aunts, uncles, cousins of my parents, were given English names (inluding my mom).
When the ELA kicked in (and the anti English and pro Spanish pendulum swung again) my generation were given Spanish names, again though not the ones posted in the Catholic calendar.
My nephews and cousins of the generation following me (except my NewYorican ones, don't know the reason), they were given old Spanish names (hardly found in Puerto Rico)-like Rodrigo, Cayetano, Carlota. etc.
etc.
Interesting, isn't it?
Very interesting indeed, especially being named after a saint for protection, that's fascinating. One of the *old school* names that I'm glad my mom didn't name me is dolores and Altagracia good God why would someone name their child Dolores? I have to admit I do love foreign names but I also feel that we are losing some of our culture.

Location hidden

#13 Mar 7, 2013
I love your stories :)

Location hidden

#14 Mar 7, 2013
I sure hope I didn't offend anyone who is name Dolores or Altagracia oops.
Jose

Miami, FL

#15 Mar 7, 2013
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
"Sometimes you can tell the year a telenovela was a hit "

Lol oh damn true but it is even applicable to other shows.

Half the Miami Cubans in Hialeah born in last couple of years are named "Caso Cerrado".

Location hidden

#16 Mar 7, 2013
Jose wrote:
<quoted text>
"Sometimes you can tell the year a telenovela was a hit "
Lol oh damn true but it is even applicable to other shows.
Half the Miami Cubans in Hialeah born in last couple of years are named "Caso Cerrado".
Are you serious "Caso cerrado" really? Lmaoo poor children when they start school smh
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#17 Mar 7, 2013
mysterysilence wrote:
<quoted text> Are you serious "Caso cerrado" really? Lmaoo poor children when they start school smh
This guy, like all the Cubans I know (and I do know a lot, since I was raised around half of Havana's kids of the 1960's; when they left Cuba and ended up here), have the best sense of humor.

In fact, Muñoz Marín used to say that a Cuban is a happy Puerto Rican and a Puerto Rican is a sad Cuban (that close are people from both islands).
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#18 Mar 7, 2013
mysterysilence wrote:
I sure hope I didn't offend anyone who is name Dolores or Altagracia oops.
Don't know about my tastes, but I find Dolores, Angustia and Altagracia beautiful names.

Love names from the old country (our old country-Spain).

Even those who have to do with the weather or the elements like-Nieves, Aguas, Lluvia, Mar y sol (Marisol).

Guatemala's past First Lady's name (she was from Spain) was Aguas.

One of my favorite Spanish actresses is Lluvia Rojo.

But, those old Spanish, Catholic calendar names (from some of my ancestors, God-poor babies...good thing that, those on my Mom's father side, went to the school in my great grandfather's coffee hacienda).

Can you believe naming someone-Juan Nepomuceno or my greatgrandma's- Maria Jovita?

My grandma's on Dad' side was-Dominga de Silos (that long)-in fact is a very old Spanish name from the Northern provinces (I think-Asturias).

Poor woman. And that one, actually, had to go to her city's school (no protection, whatsoever, by the hacienda's owner...LOL).

She was named that way by my great grandma-a Spanish from the Canary Isls. who apparently was a very devoted lady.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#19 Mar 7, 2013
mysterysilence wrote:
<quoted text> ...I do love foreign names but I also feel that we are losing some of our culture.
As I tell our local "puristas" (or purists) who feel our Hispanic culture (in both the US and here) is being overwhelmed by the Anglo one, don't worry.

Our Hispanic/Latin American culture is as vibrant as ever for we are over 40 million Americans of Hispanic heritage in the US, going back and forth to Latin America (and having Latin American tv and media bring it inside our houses) and in Puerto Rico, we're surrounded by Latin America (from our next door neighbors-the Dominicans, to our neighbors to the south of Ponce-Venezuela)...

The presence of Latin America here in the islands, is extremely ovewhelming and will continue to be forever-for Latin America feels we're their smaller sister/islands.

Try reading the "facts of Puerto Rico you didn't know thread" (which I'll update with new sh_stuff, from time to time).

Its very interesting to see the ever presence of Latin America and Spain in our culture (forever).
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#20 Mar 7, 2013
mysterysilence wrote:
I love your stories :)
No me cuques...LOL

Yo soy un cuentista (pero que los chinos...LOL).

Ever hear that Puerto Rican/Spanish saying about "un cuento chino"?

LOL

In my case it doesn't apply, for all of them are true (and the famous "cuentos chinos" phrase is used when someone's lying)..."ahí vino con un cuento chino..." (LOL).

My guess is that the phrase has nothing to do with the Chinese being liars and a lot to do with verifying its veracity-that one has to go all the way to China to do it....LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Puerto Rico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crime in Puerto Rico (Dec '12) 9 hr Chukles 289
Mayor Elect Bill Deblasio decides that he wants... (Dec '13) 15 hr El Cacique 219
US citizenship different in Puerto Rico than in... 17 hr El Cacique 8
Puerto Rico without Spanish might as well be th... 18 hr Allan 6
Puerto Ricans welcome all of our Latin American... 20 hr El Cacique 120
Dave Lopez says anyone white is a racist 21 hr Allan 8
Why do Puerto Ricans THINK they're AMERICAN? (Oct '11) Sun Steven 1,139
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Puerto Rico People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••