Congress to investigate SSI/D fraud ...

Congress to investigate SSI/D fraud in Puerto rico

Posted in the Puerto Rico Forum

El cacique

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#1 Sep 19, 2013
http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/news/congr...

Can someone find me the thread we did regarding this issue, so i can link this update to it.

Someone very high up has got congress attention.

==========

I wonder if this is tied in to the opponents of statehood?.

Although that would be illegal. Still, anything to prejudice congress.

Since: Oct 12

West Islip, NY

#2 Sep 19, 2013
El cacique wrote:
http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr .com/news/congress-eyes-pr-dis ability-fraud-bust-89057.html
Can someone find me the thread we did regarding this issue, so i can link this update to it.
Someone very high up has got congress attention.
==========
I wonder if this is tied in to the opponents of statehood?.
Although that would be illegal. Still, anything to prejudice congress.
I wouldent be surprised however the US Attorney on the island is a notable statehood supporter and she has been making a big stink about this for some time now.

We need better management of the program, when 9 out of the 10 zip codes that have the highest rate of fraud are in the same place there is something seriously wrong.

Also unlike Medicare where the government determines eligibility the eligibility for SSDI is determined on a doctor by doctor basis and in Puerto Rico certain doctors are known to be "go to with a sob story and get SSDI easy".

El cacique

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#3 Sep 19, 2013
LongIslander1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldent be surprised however the US Attorney on the island is a notable statehood supporter and she has been making a big stink about this for some time now.
We need better management of the program, when 9 out of the 10 zip codes that have the highest rate of fraud are in the same place there is something seriously wrong.
Also unlike Medicare where the government determines eligibility the eligibility for SSDI is determined on a doctor by doctor basis and in Puerto Rico certain doctors are known to be "go to with a sob story and get SSDI easy".
9 out of 10 is just an "out of this world" astronomical figure.

Wow. I knew this but it still makes one shake their head every time you hear this.

==========

Some doctors have an "Ay bendito complex" or ,perhaps, some are getting some sort of kickback from legal aid attorneys that represent many of these people with their claims.
Allan

United States

#4 Sep 19, 2013
Allan

United States

#5 Sep 19, 2013
Allan

United States

#6 Sep 19, 2013
here is the link to the opening statement at the hearing http://waysandmeans.house.gov/news/documentsi...

El cacique

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#7 Sep 19, 2013
Allan wrote:
here is the link to the opening statement at the hearing http://waysandmeans.house.gov/news/documentsi...
Thanks for the links.
Allan

United States

#8 Sep 19, 2013
Not sure what happened to the spacing but you are welcome

El cacique

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#9 Sep 19, 2013
"The investigation began back in November 2009, after medical consultants in the Puerto Rico Disability Determination Services reported a suspicious pattern of benefit claims involving nearly identical medical evidence. Social Security and the Office of the Inspector General then began an extensive review of the medical information. Later, the FBI and the Puerto Rico Police Department joined the investigation"

(unquote)

Lazy doctors. They weren't even committed to do a scam right.

Now, they are in danger of losing their license. No to mention their professional reputation. There is no price on one's name. Even if they do not lose their license.(Which i don't think they will..I have sen far worse)..Still, this will follow them no matter where they practice.

All for what???. A couple of bucks. Why sell yourself and everything you sacrificed for at such a cheap price?. I just don't get it. It is the same mentality as a gambler.

What is the point?.

El cacique

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#10 Sep 19, 2013
El cacique wrote:
<quoted text>9 out of 10 is just an "out of this world" astronomical figure.
Wow. I knew this but it still makes one shake their head every time you hear this.
==========
Some doctors have an "Ay bendito complex" or ,perhaps, some are getting some sort of kickback from legal aid attorneys that represent many of these people with their claims.
Not exactly legal aid. But, attorneys that specialize in SSI/D cases for a very low cost and/or a portion of the settlement.

That sounds like what was going on in PR.

El cacique

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#11 Sep 19, 2013
Thank you for the icons, Dave.

You're nothing but a big crybaby.

Unbelievable!

El cacique

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#12 Sep 19, 2013
Well, a song was made popular by PR's premier group who sometimes sing themes that are socially popular in PR.

If this song is not a probing insight into the culture. Then, frankly, i don't know what is.

"Comiendo sin trabajar" The lyrics even talk about SSI...LOL!

El cacique

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#13 Sep 19, 2013
El cacique wrote:
Well, a song was made popular by PR's premier group who sometimes sing themes that are socially popular in PR.
If this song is not a probing insight into the culture. Then, frankly, i don't know what is.
"Comiendo sin trabajar" The lyrics even talk about SSI...LOL!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =wR47OOBgEyUXX
Correction: An insight into the modern day culture and outlook of SOME in the islands underclass.

El cacique

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#14 Sep 19, 2013
Read the lyrics of that whole song.

Amazing!.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Puerto Rico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do Puerto Ricans Hate African-Americans? (Jun '12) Apr 25 Jenny 162
How do Puerto Ricans practice religion? Apr 24 nervrevo77 1
Do any Italians in the house want to "pass as P... (Feb '13) Apr 23 Prborn 19
Cuban Americans, the richest, most powerful USA... (Aug '13) Apr 17 Jenny 46
Puerto Ricans-largest fat percent of the four e... (Jul '09) Apr 17 Jenny 3
Needed More Beer ??? Apr 12 Gordon Cubaking 1
Quotes Thread (May '13) Apr 10 Hope 786
More from around the web