Filipinos. Chinos or negros?

Filipinos. Chinos or negros?

Posted in the Puerto Rico Forum

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#1 Dec 11, 2012
I always associate them with Chinos because that's how they look, but I recently seen this video with original Filipinos and they look like blacks.

I think I'm going to re-think my image of Filipinos. Most of us Latinos have the image that they're Chinese people.

mysterysilence

Location hidden

#2 Dec 11, 2012
Geno314 wrote:
I always associate them with Chinos because that's how they look, but I recently seen this video with original Filipinos and they look like blacks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =sw2cqa11xpIXX
I think I'm going to re-think my image of Filipinos. Most of us Latinos have the image that they're Chinese people.
I've heard of a lot of Hispanics reffering to them as chinos but oh no Asians come in all shapes and sizes and colors just like how a lot of people think that if you're Hispanic you're either Mexican or puerto rican lol, I remember that mindset from back in the day but there's obviously people that still think that way.

Location hidden

#3 Dec 11, 2012
mysterysilence wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard of a lot of Hispanics reffering to them as chinos but oh no Asians come in all shapes and sizes and colors just like how a lot of people think that if you're Hispanic you're either Mexican or puerto rican lol, I remember that mindset from back in the day but there's obviously people that still think that way.
Yeah, I agree. Filipinos actually look very different from Chinese people (but some look similar because of Chinese ancestry) Chinese & Filipinos look as different as Mexicans and Dominicans. We should stop using "chinos" to describe Filipinos because the Spanish actually used "indios" and "negritos" to describe them, which is very different from "chinos"

mysterysilence

Location hidden

#4 Dec 12, 2012
Geno314 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I agree. Filipinos actually look very different from Chinese people (but some look similar because of Chinese ancestry) Chinese & Filipinos look as different as Mexicans and Dominicans. We should stop using "chinos" to describe Filipinos because the Spanish actually used "indios" and "negritos" to describe them, which is very different from "chinos"
I agree we sound very ignorant when we do that. I'm glad you're educating yourself about other cultures and nationalities we can never learn enough.
TPMP

Bronx, NY

#5 Dec 12, 2012
Geno314 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =sw2cqa11xpIXX
This was fascinating. They looked like Pacific Islanders.

Perhaps, this was a small isolated gene pool left over from soldiers.

Location hidden

#6 Dec 12, 2012
TPMP wrote:
<quoted text>This was fascinating. They looked like Pacific Islanders.
Perhaps, this was a small isolated gene pool left over from soldiers.
No, they're natives. They were called "Negritos" by the
Spanish. The Spanish even named a major island "Negros" because of all the black people they saw when they arrived. They were the first Filipinos, long before black soldiers came. Most Filipinos have some Negrito admixture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negrito

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Puerto Rico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay boxer dedicates fight to Pulse nightclub ma... Jul 17 david traversa 3
Why do Puerto Ricans Hate African-Americans? (Jun '12) Jul 17 Shawdy 165
The Bronx is grossly overpopulated. (Mar '14) Jul 16 cocio 14
The First Puerto Rican Princess is here! Jul 13 Urbantoons 1
Why do Puerto Ricans THINK they're AMERICAN? (Oct '11) Jul 8 Caojeda 1,169
Poll Do you like Salsa music? Tell us about it! (Apr '08) Jul 3 Dave Lopes 11,332
Jehovah's Witnesses in Puerto Rico (May '15) Jul 1 GodSmacked 118
More from around the web