why do puerto ricans look down on bla...
TPMP

Bronx, NY

#168 Oct 1, 2012
TRUTH IS RELATIVE wrote:
<quoted text> Don't recall that name.
A charming radio personality. It feels like she has been around for ages.

You should check when you have the chance to see if you can listen to her online. Not sure.

She is a bright spot for the community.
TRUTH IS RELATIVE

Bear, DE

#169 Oct 1, 2012
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
That's some fact our own Blacks spread around, that some last names (actually) can be traced back to West Africa (and always the Falú's are cited)....
Remember that Argentina, also, have their own Black Argentinians (and I would dare say, way more than we, here, because of the vastness of their territory, it was the farthest Spanish virreinato (of them all) so they could engage in illegal slave trade with the Brazilians, who abolished theirs in around the 1870's, as well).
But, in Argentina, the term "negro" o "negra" is applied to anyone with dark complection, as in Ireland (the famous, Southern Black Irish, descendants of the Spanish).
If you ask Argentinians, they would say there are no Blacks in Argentina. If I am not mistaken, I was told by an Argentinian that there was a purge some time ago to rid Argentina of their Black population.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#170 Oct 1, 2012
TRUTH IS RELATIVE wrote:
<quoted text>
If you ask Argentinians, they would say there are no Blacks in Argentina. If I am not mistaken, I was told by an Argentinian that there was a purge some time ago to rid Argentina of their Black population.
The northern you go in Argentina, the farther you leave the white porteños (people from B. Aires) behind.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#171 Oct 1, 2012
TPMP wrote:
<quoted text> A charming radio personality. It feels like she has been around for ages.
You should check when you have the chance to see if you can listen to her online. Not sure.
She is a bright spot for the community.
I've always loved Malin.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#172 Oct 1, 2012
TPMP wrote:
<quoted text> True.
When one would back to Puerto Rico. I distinctly remember there would be a time when everyone would know all the latest "bochinche" (as the blacks would say) "of who done dropped kicked who this week". LOL!. It didn't matter if was one in NY or from wherever the hell. Whole families and collective groups of people in the "barrios" would know who and what was going on with just who. This would happen in Ponce summer after summer.
==========
From an anthropological perspective. It is quite amusing.
I would imagine. The same is presently going with the Central Florida's PR Community, since that community is pretty much still in it's early stages. Relatively speaking.
In fact, this natural tendency we boricuas have for gossip is part of our sociological evolution...

We all have our roots in the island's small farm "way of life".
to make dave happy

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#173 Oct 3, 2012
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
Pues, vive el mulataje y el mestizaje a la misma vez (¿por qué no? y grítalo a los cuatro vientos, yo lo hago y me considero un bomboncito de menta...LOL).
Cuando venga el censo, marcas "other" y santo y bueno...(y deja que la del lado, que se cree gringa porque se compró el color en Walgreens, marque lo que le dé la gana...si total-allá Juana con sus pollos y sus complejos)....
me encanto lo de bomboncito de menta, ja,ja,jaaaaaaa
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#174 Oct 3, 2012
to make dave happy wrote:
<quoted text>
me encanto lo de bomboncito de menta, ja,ja,jaaaaaaa
¿A quién no le gusta un bombón?

LOL
to make dave happy

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#175 Oct 3, 2012
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
¿A quién no le gusta un bombón?
LOL
ja,ja,ja, mira que peleamos, ya te he tomado hasta cariño,ja,ja te voy a llamar bombon de ahora en adelante.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#176 Oct 3, 2012
to make dave happy wrote:
<quoted text>
ja,ja,ja, mira que peleamos, ya te he tomado hasta cariño,ja,ja te voy a llamar bombon de ahora en adelante.
Pero, mi'ja..si somos boricuas y estadistas...(tenemos más en comun que diferencias).

Y,¿qué boricuas conoces que no seamos peleones?

LOL
to make dave happy

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#177 Oct 3, 2012
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
Pero, mi'ja..si somos boricuas y estadistas...(tenemos más en comun que diferencias).
Y,¿qué boricuas conoces que no seamos peleones?
LOL
eso es asi.....
Amistad

Irvine, CA

#178 Feb 17, 2013
Short answer: THEY DON'T
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#179 Feb 17, 2013
Amistad wrote:
Short answer: THEY DON'T
Who's "they"????
the boss

Medford, MA

#180 May 2, 2013
judge.look this over. one million irish settled in Puerto Rico. we formed your army. and married your women.thats why you see the light eyes and skin. and thats a fact.

Since: Oct 12

West Islip, NY

#181 May 2, 2013
the boss wrote:
judge.look this over. one million irish settled in Puerto Rico. we formed your army. and married your women.thats why you see the light eyes and skin. and thats a fact.
Army? What army? Puerto Rico has never been a nation, only nations have armies!

The Spanish Regimento Fijo de Puerto Rico was made up entirely of Spanish troops. The "Fijo" (fixed) term means exactly that, it was a garrison unit. All Spanish colonies had a Regimento Fijo except for the Spanish Guinea which had a locally recruited indigenous company of Spanish Navy naval infantry.

The Spanish disbanded all Puerto Rican units after the 'Grito de Lares' revolt in 1868.
JHM

Ponce, Puerto Rico

#182 May 12, 2013
Not all of us Boricuas start off looking down on black folks, some of us have made a social distinction, based on our experiences, between the type of black individual you often find in the 'states (angry, abusive, conniving, self-centered) who justifies his/her shortcomings by way of a vicarious victim mentality, and all other black folks we've met. I myself have worked, partied and had romantic relationships with black folks from PR, Cuba, the DR, the U.S. and Curazao, and I know that a lot, but not all of U.S. black people (especially in the Deep South and larger American cities) obdurately espouse this kind of moral turpitude. In Puerto Rico, which is traditionally poor, we say that if life hands you lemons, you learn to make lemonade, but a lot of black folks in the U.S. would rather squirt lemon juice in other people's faces.
evelyn

Boston, MA

#184 Jun 9, 2013
PR Mythbuster wrote:
This is total nonsense. Puerto Ricans have historically been the ONLY hispanic group to totally integrate and get along with African Americans. Maybe due to Puerto Ricans being one of the main ingredients in the creation of hip hop culture in the South Bronx.. The best DJs, Graffiti Artists, and Break Dancers of all time where Puerto Ricans.... Mexicans and Blacks do not get along at all... To the point where Mexicans sand blacks try to ethically cleanse each others neighborhoods: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/31/nyregion/31...
Mexican "street gangs" drive and kill blacks to cleanse their neighborhoods in California: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05...
-x-
That's awful. I'm so glad anyone I know who's black doesn't live in those neighborhoods. And this is why I dislike those Mexicans. They'll die trying to be white, when white people destroyed their empires (the Spaniards) and don't even like them.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#185 Jun 9, 2013
evelyn wrote:
<quoted text>
-x-
That's awful. I'm so glad anyone I know who's black doesn't live in those neighborhoods. And this is why I dislike those Mexicans. They'll die trying to be white, when white people destroyed their empires (the Spaniards) and don't even like them.
You must be AA.

Location hidden

#186 Jun 9, 2013
evelyn wrote:
<quoted text>
-x-
You as an AA should be thankful for the Mexicans.

I am NOT for illegal immigration, at all..But, the truth is that Mexicans have revived a lot of AA neighborhoods that weren't doing so well.

They are a people with a solid work ethic and strong family vales.

Location hidden

#188 Jun 9, 2013
Whowantstoknow999 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're retarded. Puerto Rico was formed by the Spanish, as well as the army. It was the Spanish in San Juan that defended the port from The English not the Irish.
Sure there was an Irish migration to Puerto Rico, but not enough to out weight the Spanish. And Irish migration (less than a million for sure) happened long after the Spanish.
And every white Puerto Rican you speak of has a SPANISH surname not an Irish. I'm talking Torres, Muniz, Ponce, etc. Any Irish blood in Puerto Ricans is long deluded. All Spanish. & most Irish man wouldn't be able to please a Latin the way a Spanish can.
Not true.

There is plenty of Irish blood in PR. The islands gene pool is a microcosm of the world in many respects.

You are a true moron.

Lares, Utuado, San German, San Sebastian, Moca..Etc

Go take a trip to the islands Western Central mountainous region in "real time" and then come back and talk to us.

“Psalms 47:1-9”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#190 Jun 10, 2013
PR Mythbuster wrote:
<quoted text>
Although I'm aware that a tiny percentage of Mexico is blacks I have never in my life met a Mexican black man, or even one with nappy hair...
Come to Calif.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Puerto Rico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Puerto Rico movement pitches solution to econom... 13 hr AllANKs 1
To see what the truth is do the research 21 hr GodSmacked 15
Proud jehovah witness cursing on topix 21 hr GodSmacked 2
News Cuba's popularity concerns Caribbean tourism of... 21 hr GodSmacked 528
George Zimmerman VS Trayvon Martin...Who had a ... (Jul '13) Sat newsstoryfighting 166
The evidence against AllanK living in PR thread Fri AllANKs 7
News Florida keeps eye on Tropical Storm Erika, coul... Aug 28 GodSmacked 2
More from around the web