Most Bronx's NewYoricans live on welfare.

Posted in the Puerto Rico Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Jorge

Catano, Puerto Rico

#1 Mar 28, 2013
In NYC: with a citywide working force of 3.3 million persons for an 8.6 million city; only 35,000 Hispanics are employed citywide and a 13.3% unemployment rate among that same ethnic workforce (and a 50% of South Bronx's Hispanics are unemployed); we have to deduct that most NewYoricans concentrated on the city's South Bronx' district are on some type of welfare.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#2 Mar 28, 2013
Negative, most Puerto Ricans are scattered. The Bronx is not mostly occupied by Puerto Ricans. Why this hate against the Bronx?

Since: Oct 12

West Islip, NY

#3 Mar 28, 2013
Most Hispanics in the Bronx are actually Dominicans not Puerto Ricans. There is also a growing Mexican population.

Most Puerto Ricans have moved out to the 'burbs and other middle class areas.

Location hidden

#4 Mar 28, 2013
Exactly, that's what my cousin was telling me, I also heard Washington Heights is not mini DR anymore. New York is not how it use to be in the 80s or 90s.
Gitano

Miami, FL

#5 Mar 28, 2013
mysterysilence wrote:
Negative, most Puerto Ricans are scattered. The Bronx is not mostly occupied by Puerto Ricans. Why this hate against the Bronx?
Lol, You are a NYer before you are anything else as I am and EVERY Anglo, Hispanic, Black, Asian which I have met here.
Gitano

Miami, FL

#6 Mar 28, 2013
LongIslander1987 wrote:
Most Hispanics in the Bronx are actually Dominicans not Puerto Ricans. There is also a growing Mexican population.
Exactly but even so I would like to see a link for those statistics that Jorge gave as find them way to high.

You have lots of PR in Flushing who have left the Bronx and as many to long island, even in Buffalo where one of my sisters lives there are countless PR's who have left NY , the masive welfare in the Bronx is Dominican but not Mexican and you also have other hispanic groups .

Here we go-

"Displacing Puerto Ricans, Dominican NYC population explodes, Fox reports"

"SD.- New York City’s Latino population, once wooed by salsa and bomba y plena, has been transformed as Dominicans are poised to take the lead, as evidence by the bachata music head in the streets and the aroma of sancocho wafting from the eateries, Fox reports.

Titled ‘The Puerto Rican Population of New York is on the Verge of Being Eclipsed by Dominicans’, the report cites the American Community Survey, showing that the Big Apple is home to 782,222 Puerto Ricans, down from the previous of around 800,000.

It said “Puerto Ricans leave the city as they age, become more affluent and consider other places to raise their children, studies have shown. They have resettled in New York suburbs, Florida and New England, and, in a return home of sorts, Puerto Rico,” as shown by a 2008 study by the Centro de Estudios Puertorriqueños at Hunter College of the City University of New York.

“The void created by the Puerto Rican departure has been readily filled by Dominicans, Mexicans and Ecuadorians, among other Latino groups,” Fox says. It adds that the Dominican population in New York City has exploded from 332,713 in 1990, to 592,456 today. "

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/economy/2011...

Location hidden

#7 Mar 28, 2013
Gitano wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly but even so I would like to see a link for those statistics that Jorge gave as find them way to high.
You have lots of PR in Flushing who have left the Bronx and as many to long island, even in Buffalo where one of my sisters lives there are countless PR's who have left NY , the masive welfare in the Bronx is Dominican but not Mexican and you also have other hispanic groups .
Here we go-
"Displacing Puerto Ricans, Dominican NYC population explodes, Fox reports"
"SD.- New York City’s Latino population, once wooed by salsa and bomba y plena, has been transformed as Dominicans are poised to take the lead, as evidence by the bachata music head in the streets and the aroma of sancocho wafting from the eateries, Fox reports.
Titled ‘The Puerto Rican Population of New York is on the Verge of Being Eclipsed by Dominicans’, the report cites the American Community Survey, showing that the Big Apple is home to 782,222 Puerto Ricans, down from the previous of around 800,000.
It said “Puerto Ricans leave the city as they age, become more affluent and consider other places to raise their children, studies have shown. They have resettled in New York suburbs, Florida and New England, and, in a return home of sorts, Puerto Rico,” as shown by a 2008 study by the Centro de Estudios Puertorriqueños at Hunter College of the City University of New York.
“The void created by the Puerto Rican departure has been readily filled by Dominicans, Mexicans and Ecuadorians, among other Latino groups,” Fox says. It adds that the Dominican population in New York City has exploded from 332,713 in 1990, to 592,456 today. "
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/economy/2011...
I've been waiting for those statistics myself, you can't make a comparison between the Bronx and Puerto Rico without providing any links or statistics to back up your statement; otherwise it comes off as simply bias. There's so many Puerto Ricans in New England I should know LOL, like I said we are scattered throughout different states not just NY.

Location hidden

#8 Mar 28, 2013
Gitano wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, You are a NYer before you are anything else as I am and EVERY Anglo, Hispanic, Black, Asian which I have met here.
Gitano don't I know that, why do you think I'm fuming about all of this? LOL Que cosa I show love to the island because I have family there as well and I get the damn boot hahahaha. Btw, nice explanation and very detailed.
Gitano

Miami, FL

#9 Mar 28, 2013
mysterysilence wrote:
<quoted text> Gitano don't I know that, why do you think I'm fuming about all of this? LOL Que cosa I show love to the island because I have family there as well and I get the damn boot hahahaha. Btw, nice explanation and very detailed.
Well, I think the whole ethnicity thing is over-rated . I know everyone here disagrees but to me whether Cuban, Puerto Rican , Mexican ,etc I just find the while "Latino/hispanic" thing over-rated.

I suspect that if you moved to PR the same way I moved to Cuba2 , NOT vacation but actually live there , You would be a NYer before anything else as would TPM and longislander and you might not want to stay there , other than the weather.

I imagine Longislander will know this saying as from the movie Jeremiah Johnson and I have always found hispanics 'searching" for what it is to be Cuban, Mexican, PR ,etc and I never got into that.

"An Indian says you search in vain for what you cannot find./ He says you've found a thousand ways of runnin' down your time./ An Indian didn't scream it; he said it in a song / And he's never been know to be wrong...he's never been known to be wrong...The way that you wander is the way that you choose./ The day that you tarry is the day that you lose./ Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder where the fair wind blows...where the fair wind blows."

I subscribe to what the the great and respected philosopher ,Groucho Marx once said "I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member" lol.

Location hidden

#10 Mar 28, 2013
Gitano wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I think the whole ethnicity thing is over-rated . I know everyone here disagrees but to me whether Cuban, Puerto Rican , Mexican ,etc I just find the while "Latino/hispanic" thing over-rated.
I suspect that if you moved to PR the same way I moved to Cuba2 , NOT vacation but actually live there , You would be a NYer before anything else as would TPM and longislander and you might not want to stay there , other than the weather.
I imagine Longislander will know this saying as from the movie Jeremiah Johnson and I have always found hispanics 'searching" for what it is to be Cuban, Mexican, PR ,etc and I never got into that.
"An Indian says you search in vain for what you cannot find./ He says you've found a thousand ways of runnin' down your time./ An Indian didn't scream it; he said it in a song / And he's never been know to be wrong...he's never been known to be wrong...The way that you wander is the way that you choose./ The day that you tarry is the day that you lose./ Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder where the fair wind blows...where the fair wind blows."
I subscribe to what the the great and respected philosopher ,Groucho Marx once said "I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member" lol.
I absolutely love that song, very nice and profound. You're right, I know this whole ethnicity thing is overrated. I always looked at what can I do to better my life? How can I contribute? and so on. I think It's a natural instinct to feel valuable and respected in society but at the end of the day you determine your worth, who better then yourself. There's a famous phrase "caras vemos corazones no sabemos" I always remember that because people can stamp labels on you but it is up to you to either receive it as a fact or not accept it. I have been planning to go see my fam in PR maybe sometime this year not a sure thing, as far as me living there I don't know, I'm already adapted here and some more than others adjust quicker, I take a long time to adapt to change. When I moved to CT I was like a fish out of water it took me a year to get use to this place lol.

Location hidden

#11 Mar 28, 2013
Gitano wrote:
<quoted text>
So true.

Location hidden

#12 Mar 28, 2013
My bad I just realized is not a song lol...its still nice and profound though, thanks for sharing.

Location hidden

#13 Mar 28, 2013
mysterysilence wrote:
<quoted text> Gitano don't I know that, why do you think I'm fuming about all of this? LOL Que cosa I show love to the island because I have family there as well and I get the damn boot hahahaha. Btw, nice explanation and very detailed.
PR would not have been on the map without Ny'res.

We are an interconnected diaspora. Island and mainland.

Many PR's who are well known for their unique accomplishments have a mainland connection of some sort. The whole argument is just silly.

And the ones who don't also lived in a shack just a couple of generations ago.

I can't stand commem*erda people (haughty)

==========

As i stated. People like Jorge who pretend that they are rich usually don't have pot to piss in.
Gitano

Miami, FL

#14 Mar 28, 2013
mysterysilence wrote:
My bad I just realized is not a song lol...its still nice and profound though, thanks for sharing.
It is somewhat of a song (2:47)

Location hidden

#15 Mar 28, 2013
mysterysilence wrote:
<quoted text> I've been waiting for those statistics myself, you can't make a comparison between the Bronx and Puerto Rico without providing any links or statistics to back up your statement; otherwise it comes off as simply bias. There's so many Puerto Ricans in New England I should know LOL, like I said we are scattered throughout different states not just NY.
I have lived in LI. I moved here when i got married due to private business commitments that i have with my inlaws.

I have both PR family and friends in Long Island, Florida, New Jersey, North Carolina, Arizona, California, Connecticut and Rhode Island.

We are simply everywhere. In all 50 states.

He talks like he is in a time warp. It is shameful for someone to talk that way who claims to have the education he does.

==========

There are beautiful parts of the Bronx. Solidly middle class. I reside in one.

PR's have done quite well considering the collective challenges we faced at one time.
Gitano

Miami, FL

#16 Mar 28, 2013
El cacique wrote:
<quoted text>PR would not have been on the map without Ny'res.
We are an interconnected diaspora. Island and mainland.
Many PR's who are well known for their unique accomplishments have a mainland connection of some sort. The whole argument is just silly.
And the ones who don't also lived in a shack just a couple of generations ago.
I can't stand commem*erda people (haughty)
==========
As i stated. People like Jorge who pretend that they are rich usually don't have pot to piss in.
You know there seems to be some anti-NY sentiment from most hispanics groups like we are from a different planet .

Location hidden

#17 Mar 28, 2013
I agree, this is not only silly but unnessary, like I said before I will never understand this division point blank. What can you do? I don't think it will ever change honestly. So keep it moving it is....

Location hidden

#18 Mar 28, 2013
El cacique wrote:
<quoted text>I have lived in LI. I moved here when i got married due to private business commitments that i have with my inlaws.
I have both PR family and friends in Long Island, Florida, New Jersey, North Carolina, Arizona, California, Connecticut and Rhode Island.
We are simply everywhere. In all 50 states.
He talks like he is in a time warp. It is shameful for someone to talk that way who claims to have the education he does.
==========
There are beautiful parts of the Bronx. Solidly middle class. I reside in one.
PR's have done quite well considering the collective challenges we faced at one time.
Wow, your family is everywhere that's a good thing, you can always go out of state to visit. I know the Bronx has good areas is just people have that stereotypical mentality that its ghetto *sighs* There are so many talented people that was brought up in the Bronx, like I said before it was not good when I lived there (SoundView) that was about a more than a decade ago I know its different now.

Location hidden

#19 Mar 28, 2013
Gitano wrote:
<quoted text>
You know there seems to be some anti-NY sentiment from most hispanics groups like we are from a different planet .
you're absolutely right, Que se joda!!!!! Then. I'm already aggravated don't mind me.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#20 Mar 28, 2013
LongIslander1987 wrote:
Exactly.

On the other hand, most Americans still associate Bronx with Puerto Rico; which is exactly my point.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Puerto Rico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayor Elect Bill Deblasio decides that he wants... (Dec '13) 5 hr El Cacique 580
I love this headline....Despite recession 5 hr El Cacique 5
Russia's growing presence in Latin America worr... 6 hr El Cacique 7
JW's win another round. 6 hr El Cacique 6
Status Quo, Statehood, Or independence? Wed NJBoricua 3
Netanyahu is campaigning in the U.S Wed El Cacique 29
Puerto Rico to allow gay marriage Tue LongIslander1987 3
More from around the web