Manila: A warning against overpopulation

Oct 15, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: MediaGuardian.co.uk

As the world faces overpopulation, the Philippine capital highlights the problems it brings, as Jenny Kleeman discovered Jenny Kleeman in front of living shacks built on the banks of a pollluted river in Manila where overpopulation has forced people to carve out living quarters in shanty towns.

Comments
1 - 20 of 80 Comments Last updated Oct 26, 2010
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
morons united

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Over populations from over populations only made the shanties looks worse and looks hopeless. I would'nt live on that environement even if I were a pig.
morons united

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

Philippines may not be the poorest country in the world but it sure looks like the ugliest and the worse place to live. Water pollutions, air pollutions, noise pollutions, people pollutions. Warning of over populations is at least 60 years too late. IMO.
Juan de la Cruz

Sahuarita, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

I have been inside those areas where people live like animals in a pig's sty, it was a horrible experience for me. The place was a maze of small shanties and cardboard boxes with people inside. To get to the place you had to go thru footpaths about a meter wide and the odor was terrible. For the love of God, what is being done to alliviate the condition of these people ? Fire can easily trap many of them and disease from pollition will in no time spread like wildfire, killing many. The sad thing about all these is the fact that throughout Manila there are various areas owned by unscrupulous landowners who in their greediness sllow the use of this spaces to the poor to make their home and are made to pay rent. I know a public official that has a huge area in the city that is home for thousands. Does anybody in government know it? Is he answerable only to God for his greed ?

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

morons united wrote:
Philippines may not be the poorest country in the world but it sure looks like the ugliest and the worse place to live. Water pollutions, air pollutions, noise pollutions, people pollutions. Warning of over populations is at least 60 years too late. IMO.
Should really believe that you have not been out of Lynnwood. You may well have been since you judge.......
I Make you aware that several U.S. cities are no better an MNL, many much worse. I know for sure from personal experience.......
Visit throughout Asia's large cities and, indeed, the Middle East and Europe before making this opinion.........

BUT... BUT ... Don't like what you call people pollution. What does this mean?.....

If you allude to the people, I very disagree with you. My experience is that not many places are friendlier, cozier, lovely and beautiful than in the Philippines.

This was only my opinion.

Thanks !!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

morons united wrote:
Over populations from over populations only made the shanties looks worse and looks hopeless. I would'nt live on that environement even if I were a pig.
You are obviously better accustomed.......
If there is a country that can show the absolute poverty must be your own....
Getting around in the U.S.? at all?

Thanks !!!
morons united

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

vic_danish_pilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Should really believe that you have not been out of Lynnwood. You may well have been since you judge.......
I Make you aware that several U.S. cities are no better an MNL, many much worse. I know for sure from personal experience.......
Visit throughout Asia's large cities and, indeed, the Middle East and Europe before making this opinion.........
BUT... BUT ... Don't like what you call people pollution. What does this mean?.....
If you allude to the people, I very disagree with you. My experience is that not many places are friendlier, cozier, lovely and beautiful than in the Philippines.
This was only my opinion.
Thanks !!!
I have not seen over crowded community of shanties with no plumbibng here. Where I live there were old houses and buildings but were not crowded they had at least 50 feet in between each other and it had running waters and sewers. No multi story shanties interconnected where garbages and human feces float around like that shown in the picture. It is no comparison. You have'nt been in the northwest.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Juan de la Cruz wrote:
I have been inside those areas where people live like animals in a pig's sty, it was a horrible experience for me. The place was a maze of small shanties and cardboard boxes with people inside. To get to the place you had to go thru footpaths about a meter wide and the odor was terrible. For the love of God, what is being done to alliviate the condition of these people ? Fire can easily trap many of them and disease from pollition will in no time spread like wildfire, killing many. The sad thing about all these is the fact that throughout Manila there are various areas owned by unscrupulous landowners who in their greediness sllow the use of this spaces to the poor to make their home and are made to pay rent. I know a public official that has a huge area in the city that is home for thousands. Does anybody in government know it? Is he answerable only to God for his greed ?
Visit San Francisco and you will see ....... much.... much worse.....

At least, in PI, they have a good and different climates....This explains perhaps something about your history.
And why do you have such a friend ?.........
Tell him about his and the country's problem .......

Thanks !!!
morons united

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

vic_danish_pilot wrote:
<quoted text>
You are obviously better accustomed.......
If there is a country that can show the absolute poverty must be your own....
Getting around in the U.S.? at all?
Thanks !!!
They condemn and demolish buildinghsd here that does not meet safety, health standard. Building codes and health issues are strictly enforced. That is what Philippines government need to do to make philippines beautifull thast it could be.
morons united

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Juan de la Cruz wrote:
Bulshit your they are rich and we are poor mentality. The rich help themselve and the poor just like to have fun and does'nt want to sacrifice. The poors are unscrupulous for having too big a family that they could not support and the government is too weak to tell them about their problems. Blind loyalty or anything blind is no good.
Dina

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

"Manila: A warning against overpopulation"
What is this? as if they are not aware that they had been overpopulated for years. Manila had been congested since 1960s! it's not a big joke to people of overpopulation wherein fact it has been a problem for decades.
why it took them 40 years to realise, now what's the action plan?
Balanced View

Weybridge, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

Dina wrote:
"Manila: A warning against overpopulation"
What is this? as if they are not aware that they had been overpopulated for years. Manila had been congested since 1960s! it's not a big joke to people of overpopulation wherein fact it has been a problem for decades.
why it took them 40 years to realise, now what's the action plan?
They are building many new homes, skyscrapers everywhere. This doesn't ease the overcrowding as they are all bought by the comparitively rich people. The poor end up with less places to go and unfortunately continue to have large families that they cant support. It's the same throughout the whole world the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. This will eventually lead to the breakdown of civilisation the poor will have to attack the rich for food and the armies will be mobilised to put them down (the riots AND the people). The only way to avoid this is education. Once people are educated they are more able to support themselves, no need for the crutch of religion which will mean more will practise birth control. The riches of the church can be taken away to enrich the poor, better a full stomach and somewhere to live than sanctimonious prayers. In this world you have to help yourself and if you have nothing then you have nothing to lose. The goverments realise this and pay lip service but do nothing to resolve the problem permanently.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Juan de la Cruz wrote:
Whats being done? They, with the church's guidence, are having as many kids as they can, regardless of whether they can feed or adequetly shelter them....it"s God's will....
Arthur

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

I cannot agree more to this article. Away for 30 years, and the population has tripled. In Manila, much more than that. In '63, carabaos roamed the vast expanse fronting the V. Luna Hospital in Quezon City. On the esteros, shanties were built. The Pasig River was a dead murky waterway. I'd guess even mosquitoes dare not inhabit it. The government had it cleaned a little bit and aquatic life seem to have returned. It didn't last long.

There is more to baptize, to marry, and to bury. Real sad that the Church has so far turned a blind eye to the problem. That is not to absolve the government.
stationed here

Olongapo, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

Enough is ENOUGH! The Catholic Church should be hanged for meddling with the MOST EVIL FORM OF PRACTICE - Overpopulation! Destruction of the environment, natural resources. As the population explodes, the Church becomes more powerful because as the masses become more and more illiterate, fear overcomes them and the fat Cardinals and Bishops maintain their status quo. These women must stop reproducing !
stationed here

Olongapo City, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

FACT-BOX: Overpopulation in the Philippines

• The Philippines are a series of islands in South East Asia. The population is primarily made up of Roman Catholics and is led by the publicly elected president, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. She has admitted to personally using birth-control pills earlier in her life, but refuses to recommend the use of contraceptives.
• The country is a former American colony and is still has close ties to the USA.
• The Philippines has a population of approximately 90 million, with more than 11 million living in the capital of Manila.
• The Philippines is the 12th most populated country in the world.
• In 1970, the government realised it had to act to slow population growth and launched the Philippines Population Program (POPCOM) and later the National Family Planning Program. Critics complain that the programs are no longer a government priority and have lost their effectiveness and are calling for a revitalised attempt to control overpopulation.
• There is no sexual education in public schools. Most people have little knowledge about pregnancy and prevention.
• The Catholic Church in the Philippines preaches against abortion and all forms of contraception and family planning programs.
• Abortion is illegal in the Philippines, yet it is estimated that every year more than 400,000 illegal abortions are performed.
• Poverty and overpopulation are closely connected. Poor families often have the most children.
• In the next 30 years, the population of the world’s cities is expected to triple. In the next 15 years, 18 of the world’s 27 mega-cities (more than 10 million inhabitants) will be in Asia, where half of the residents live in slum-like conditions.

Sources: CIA, UN/ UNDP, World Bank, POPCOM.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Mind blowing to realize that, because of overpopulation, the Philippines has 90 million people....more than one third of the population of the whole United States...260 million.....

“We dont ned no edukasion!!!!”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

Go Blue wrote:
<quoted text> Whats being done? They, with the church's guidence, are having as many kids as they can, regardless of whether they can feed or adequetly shelter them....it"s God's will....
Ummm do you sound like me ?? or do i sound like you ??Be careful that kind of commonsence talking started the war between me and thumper.LMAO

GFB

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

1 ex-kiwi wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm do you sound like me ?? or do i sound like you ??Be careful that kind of commonsence talking started the war between me and thumper.LMAO
WTF did you do with Thumper..I miss his crazy rant and comical post.. Shame on you..LOL

“We dont ned no edukasion!!!!”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

GFB wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF did you do with Thumper..I miss his crazy rant and comical post.. Shame on you..LOL
i think he quit his toilet cleaning job- someone told me he now works with crustal , they have new jobs working for the catholic church -putting holes in condoms before the govt gives them to the poor.
Lowe Marshall

Sahuarita, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2010

The views of several people here implies that the blame for over population should be directed towards the church and not the government. Is the whole country Christian by name only ? The church is only doing what God himself has ordered them to do which is warn the people from using contraceptives and prevent abortions. If truly we are christians, then we have to follow the rules.The Government should be blamed for not giving education to the masses,it is the government who must see to it that all our children have to go to school in order to make our country a better place to live in

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Philippines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
wanted textmate sexmate 10 min joshua 3,025
anybody here in manila,girls looking for lesbia... (Jul '13) 14 min Anonymous 9,898
Any bi fem or secretly bisexual? Looking for so... 24 min Clownfish 153
FVR hits Noy term extension bid 28 min NAP OLE LESS 22
Liberated and open minded discreet girls in Cebu (Sep '13) 58 min shine 3
abortion scammer here 1 hr Fayemelina 3
Dr. Fredli's Group of Philippine Abortion Doctors (Feb '14) 1 hr SCAMMER_INFO 583
Looking for trusted abortionist (Feb '14) 4 hr Fayemelina 703

Search the Philippines Forum:
•••