NZ immigration puts hold on some visa applications from Tonga

Feb 18, 2013 Full story: Matangi Tonga 17

In a statement today Hon. Michael Woodhouse, said the visas would be held, "until Immigration New Zealand can be satisfied with the integrity of the police clearance process." Applications for residence and most work visas need a police certificate, but this is not needed for short-term visas such as a visitor visa.

Full Story

“Fight For Democracy in Tonga!!”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1 Feb 18, 2013
Convictions

The New Zealand Immigration minister's action follows accusations last week that Tonga police officers had wiped convictions from police records of Tongan citizens, under an unwritten policy that was tacitly approved by a former and now deceased Minister of Police. The practice was stopped in recent years.

Tonga's Police Commissioner O'Fee said today that the entire records of the Tongan police had been searched "This had revealed that 172 records had been 'cleared'. To clear this means that the records are still intact but that letters had been sent stating that the person making the application had no records when they clearly did have."

INZ stated it had completed an initial analysis of 172 names provided by the Tongan authorities and estimated around 40 people may be currently in New Zealand, including some who hold permanent residence.

Hon. Woodhouse stated,“It is totally unacceptable for anyone to enter New Zealand by providing misleading information and I am taking this very seriously.…I have asked Immigration New Zealand to place the highest priority on finding any Tongan nationals who have committed serious crimes and should not be in New Zealand
Lole

Australia

#2 Feb 19, 2013
Fakasi'isi'i e corruption he koe me'a 'ena 'e hoko koe 'ikai toe tali ha kole visa..

Malie e ..
hardly

Wellington, New Zealand

#3 Feb 19, 2013
not surprised...been doing it for years, what else is new???
kauvaka

Tonga

#4 Feb 19, 2013
Mo'oni hardly. Do you notice they are threatening the applicants with deportation but there is no action announced against the real offenders the corrupt police officers who signed the fraudulent letters and there is no announcement from the Australian and NZ governments about protesting to the Government of Tonga about this fraud. NZ and Aussie ministers of foreign affairs come out quickly to congratulate the Tonga hierachy when something positive occurs in Tonga but they hide when something like this happens. Again, and again and again. Seems like everyone in Tonga including the palace cat knew this has been going on except the Australia and New Zealand immigration pple.
Niu

Tonga

#5 Feb 20, 2013
kauvaka wrote:
Mo'oni hardly. Do you notice they are threatening the applicants with deportation but there is no action announced against the real offenders the corrupt police officers who signed the fraudulent letters and there is no announcement from the Australian and NZ governments about protesting to the Government of Tonga about this fraud. NZ and Aussie ministers of foreign affairs come out quickly to congratulate the Tonga hierachy when something positive occurs in Tonga but they hide when something like this happens. Again, and again and again. Seems like everyone in Tonga including the palace cat knew this has been going on except the Australia and New Zealand immigration pple.
You sound like you're saying that this is New Zealand and Australia's problem.
This is our own government's problem....and who runs this government? Not NZ or Australia... bloody Tongans.
NZ and Australia are making sure that we Tongans do suffer the consequences of our own Police Department's inexusable actions.
Pila

New Zealand

#6 Feb 20, 2013
Niu wrote:
<quoted text>You sound like you're saying that this is New Zealand and Australia's problem.
This is our own government's problem....and who runs this government? Not NZ or Australia... bloody Tongans.
NZ and Australia are making sure that we Tongans do suffer the consequences of our own Police Department's inexusable actions.
Niu, you better have another look at Kauvaka's comment. Because the problem were originated from the Tongan police, as they are the hand of the government who dealt with this issue.

The people who were in NZ or Aust on a wrong information were a result of the government of Tonga and its police dept.

I am sure that NZ & Aust are mindful of how to find the culprit, but they chose to close their right eye and only used their left eye, as they do not want to be seen, that they are too harsh on the Tongan people???

stopit

Australia

#7 Feb 20, 2013
Niu wrote:
<quoted text>You sound like you're saying that this is New Zealand and Australia's problem.
Mo'oni katoa... but bottom line,i do agree with "niu"...no-one to blame but the people with authority in Tonga!! I have to say even the immigration is fckd..Neu puna atu ki Tonga(few years ago)maau e me'a kotoa ka nau tolotoloi e me'a hoku tehina koe ha'u pe 'o 'eva smh.. waste of time and work.. ulo 'e nau mata heku hu atu...me'a vave koe stamp e paasipooti smh.. kapau ne 'ikai maa hoku tehina koe anga 'enau nofo fketongaa,neu 'ai ke tuli katoa e kau ngaue 'imi... oma e kole fkmolemole moe petepete tangi(toe oli ange e excuse smh) same style,fkfamili and fkpone... like the sayin "itz who you know" ....well,itz fckd when law abiding citizenz followz the rulez and these fckwitz use their power for the wrong reason...meaning# lii ki tu'a kae nounou,mahino 'ikai fe'unga e kautama ko ena moe lakanga 'oku nau ma'u!!! Ongo sulu 'e ua 'i NZ ne mau fktamaiki holo koe ha'u he founga ko ena 'oku mou palu ki ai!!
'Ikai pe ke sia'a ha me'a pe feinga ha me'a ke ngali poto ai 'a Tonga???! Vave pe eni ke to'o e TAPU kae ui ko TONGATA'E hehe lol.
Ke mou sio ki NZ pe ko AUS ke haa??Pa mou fuke'i 'o sio ki NUKU'ALOFA...sesele
hahahaha lmaooo lol..... fksi'i si'i e lue holo fkpaipa moe fiemahu'inga 'i Nuku'alofa moe kila...'osi ange koe ki'i travel agent roflmao lol pe koe ki'i traffic cop etc...pehee 'e au koha MP... koe ki'i mahaki pe mei fuoloa hehehehe .

Location hidden

#8 Feb 21, 2013
at least australia fights for its citizens, even if they're dual citizens. No one in USA fought for rachel corrie when israel plainly murdered her. there are many US citizens who have been killed or maimed by israel, including the crew of USS Liberty. there's a jewish american girl who went to fight for palestinians rights and was hit by a&#65279; tear gas canister which blinded her. a few senators objected, but they were promptly hushed up. it's a disgrace.
kauvaka

Tonga

#9 Feb 21, 2013
Malo Pila. The people responsible for this are the police officers who for whatever reason signed the letters. They knew the statements were untrue. The convicted criminals cannot be blamed for the actions of the police, they merely took advantage of the situation offered by certain officers.Those at the bottom of the heap will face deportation and the real offenders will be promoted.
Niu

Tonga

#10 Feb 21, 2013
kauvaka wrote:
Malo Pila. The people responsible for this are the police officers who for whatever reason signed the letters. They knew the statements were untrue. The convicted criminals cannot be blamed for the actions of the police, they merely took advantage of the situation offered by certain officers.Those at the bottom of the heap will face deportation and the real offenders will be promoted.
The criminals are breaking the law by ISSUING falsified documents, when they knew they did commit crime(s).
The police officers are breaking the law by falsifying these documents.
These two group of people are both offenders because both didn't abide by the law. Full stop. Police officers should face charges, and criminals with falsified immigration papers should face the consequences.
If these immigrants had no police record, then there wouldn't be a problem. The police wouldn't have any documents to be falsified, and immigration wouldn't be looking for them.
I really don't get what it is you're trying to say. It's like saying, I did kill someone, but the police said it's okay, so it's the police's problem that person died. Both the police and the murderer are under the law, just like everyone else.
There's a reason to why immigration departments demand applicants to issue their police record. They want to protect their own people. Only us Tongans do not bother to check people's police records. Our system do not care much about our people's safety.
stopit

Australia

#11 Feb 21, 2013
Pila wrote:
<quoted text>
Niu, you better have another look at Kauvaka's comment. Because the problem were originated from the Tongan police, as they are the hand of the government who dealt with this issue.
The people who were in NZ or Aust on a wrong information were a result of the government of Tonga and its police dept.
I am sure that NZ & Aust are mindful of how to find the culprit, but they chose to close their right eye and only used their left eye, as they do not want to be seen, that they are too harsh on the Tongan people???
Toe ki'i sio ange mo koe ki ho'o tohii?! Kuo ke toe tali pe 'e koe ho fehu'ii? hihihihi lol..
'osi tala 'e "niu" e nounou ka mou toe 'uhinga kehe? Fie ma'u ke tau a'u kihe koloo kae....THE END!!!
stopit

Australia

#12 Feb 21, 2013
Niu wrote:
<quoted text>The criminals are breaking the law by ISSUING falsified documents, when they knew they did commit crime(s).
The police officers are breaking the law by falsifying these documents.
These two group of people are both offenders because both didn't abide by the law. Full stop. Police officers should face charges, and criminals with falsified immigration papers should face the consequences.
If these immigrants had no police record, then there wouldn't be a problem. The police wouldn't have any documents to be falsified, and immigration wouldn't be looking for them.
I really don't get what it is you're trying to say. It's like saying, I did kill someone, but the police said it's okay, so it's the police's problem that person died. Both the police and the murderer are under the law, just like everyone else.
There's a reason to why immigration departments demand applicants to issue their police record. They want to protect their own people. Only us Tongans do not bother to check people's police records. Our system do not care much about our people's safety.
Mahalo 'oku nau fie ma'u keke toe fksiapani hehehehe lol.. kalasi 5 au ka nau ta'e mahino nau3...how does that work?!
Ta koee 'oku conspiracy theory pe 'a Tonga hahahaha lmaooo ... "niu" fei moke candidate kihe MP.. too pe ki ai? Pea ke manatu kihe tau kapatii he topix...'oku haa? lol....
Niu

Tonga

#13 Feb 21, 2013
stopit wrote:
<quoted text>
Mahalo 'oku nau fie ma'u keke toe fksiapani hehehehe lol.. kalasi 5 au ka nau ta'e mahino nau3...how does that work?!
Ta koee 'oku conspiracy theory pe 'a Tonga hahahaha lmaooo ... "niu" fei moke candidate kihe MP.. too pe ki ai? Pea ke manatu kihe tau kapatii he topix...'oku haa? lol....
'Oua stopit he ko kau ka ki'i 'alu 'o MP 'oku te'eki ke liliu e system, ko 'eku tata e pa'anga 'a e fonua pea u puli atu au ki hena'aki haku fo'i cleared police record 'o puli ai pe... he he he. Kei vale e kau MP ia he tata mo e corrupt.
Kaikehe, it's really sad here. I'm really just trying to stay back here and work for as long as I can handle.'Osi fele e feitu'u 'oku ou ngaue ai, pea mo e 'ilonga ko e ma'olunga ange ha taha ko e lelei ange ia 'ene ngaue mo e faka'ehi'ehi ange mei he faihala.
The Tonga that I'm proud to say I'm from, majority e kau ma'olunga, not all, ko e angakovi mo e 'ikai toka'i mai e toenga e kakai.
Faka'ofa 'ete sio ki he toe faka'ofa ange e kakai masiva ka e toe ma'u pa'anga ange e kakai ma'u pa'anga.
The system in this country needs to change. It is really slow but we'll get there... fe'unga pe 'ene a'u mo e 'osi e nifo he ngangana.
Good week-end everyone!
Niu

Tonga

#14 Feb 21, 2013
Pila wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure the Australian and New Zealand governments made sure that there are consequences to the misjugded movement the Tongan government made by dropping drugs charges against Lord Tu’ilakepa because telephone interceptions were done outside of the Tongan law.
Hats off to the Lord Tu'ilakepa's attorney for resting his case, but too bad, feinga e ngaahi fonua to work against international criminal acitivities, ka e hange 'oku feinga 'a Tonga ia ke faka'ai'ai.
Ko ena kuo 'ikai ke toe meesi e ongo fonua ha fa'ahinga me'a te na ma'u ke fakafoki mai ai hotau kakai mo e 'ai ke tau nofo pe mo ia heni.
It looks to them that Tongan government is one big joke, especially when it comes Law and Order.
stopit

Australia

#15 Feb 21, 2013
Niu wrote:
<quoted text>'Oua stopit he ko kau ka ki'i 'alu 'o MP 'oku te'eki ke liliu e system, ko 'eku tata e pa'anga 'a e fonua pea u puli atu au ki hena'aki haku fo'i cleared police record 'o puli ai pe... he he he. Kei vale e kau MP ia he tata mo e corrupt.
Kaikehe, it's really sad here. I'm really just trying to stay back here and work for as long as I can handle.'Osi fele e feitu'u 'oku ou ngaue ai, pea mo e 'ilonga ko e ma'olunga ange ha taha ko e lelei ange ia 'ene ngaue mo e faka'ehi'ehi ange mei he faihala.
The Tonga that I'm proud to say I'm from, majority e kau ma'olunga, not all, ko e angakovi mo e 'ikai toka'i mai e toenga e kakai.
Faka'ofa 'ete sio ki he toe faka'ofa ange e kakai masiva ka e toe ma'u pa'anga ange e kakai ma'u pa'anga.
The system in this country needs to change. It is really slow but we'll get there... fe'unga pe 'ene a'u mo e 'osi e nifo he ngangana.
Good week-end everyone!
lmao@ tata pa'anga hahaha... thanx for the insight...malo si'i mateaki'i moe ngaue 'i e fonua... me'a ifo mo'oni koe taimi 'oku lea ai ha taha mahino ee ^^^ hihihi not many people stay back to work or build Tonga these dayz.. i commend you for that,malo "Niu" ...
kai hoo kui

Brisbane, Australia

#16 Feb 22, 2013
bottom line is that too many lie by police so ta friend or family can go oversea.Let the right people go oversea.Any other matausi that thief on other Tonga don't deserve to go oversea.I know AFP was concern about letter that police (hand)written with no letter heading but only had a stamp on it,as a lot of the guys that apply for fruit picking had conviction

Location hidden

#17 Feb 23, 2013
boruone77 wrote:
Convictions
The New Zealand Immigration minister's action follows accusations last week that Tonga police officers had wiped convictions from police records of Tongan citizens, under an unwritten policy that was tacitly approved by a former and now deceased Minister of Police. The practice was stopped in recent years.
Tonga's Police Commissioner O'Fee said today that the entire records of the Tongan police had been searched "This had revealed that 172 records had been 'cleared'. To clear this means that the records are still intact but that letters had been sent stating that the person making the application had no records when they clearly did have."
INZ stated it had completed an initial analysis of 172 names provided by the Tongan authorities and estimated around 40 people may be currently in New Zealand, including some who hold permanent residence.
Hon. Woodhouse stated,“It is totally unacceptable for anyone to enter New Zealand by providing misleading information and I am taking this very seriously.…I have asked Immigration New Zealand to place the highest priority on finding any Tongan nationals who have committed serious crimes and should not be in New Zealand
As the Tongan government struggles to reform the Tongan Police, the events of the past months have shattered the integrity of the force and are undermining a five year reform process that had aimed to restore public confidence and turn Tonga Police into the Pacific's leading Police service by 2013.

The revelation during the past few days by Police Commissioner Grant O'Fee that the Tonga Police had an unwritten policy in practice until 2008 that allowed the police to wipe-off from the police record the convictions of some serious criminal offenders, has cast a dark shadow over the image of the Tonga Police.

It has never been easy for Tongans to get visas to work or to study in New Zealand and Australia and now, with the exposure of the Tonga Police's former practice of contriving "clearance" letters, it has become even more difficult for Tongans to get visas.

Not surprisingly, the immigration authorities of New Zealand and Australia are publicly questioning the trustworthiness and the reliability of any references given to them by the Tongan Police. Innocent Tongans are now paying the price in disrupted travel plans and must suffer the consequences of the mistrust by overseas authorities of their Tongan-issued documents.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
House in uproar after PM hires his own son 17 min yep 3
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 27 min raider4life 27,959
Morning news headlines: David Cameron warning a... 2 hr Goats milk molest... 1
Kiwis banned from joining Aussie Army (Apr '13) 2 hr Lumajuice 124
Australia Day an uncomfortable reminder of colo... 3 hr attaboy 23
Australia Day 2015: Peter FitzSimons explains w... 4 hr attaboy 4
The truth is January 26 should be First Fleet D... 5 hr attaboy 12
More from around the web