'Give up Lau'

Jul 2, 2014 Full story: Fiji Times 187

TONGA'S Lands Minister Lord Ma'afu has revealed a proposal for the island kingdom to give up the disputed Minerva Reef to Fiji in exchange for the Lau Group.

Full Story
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
jestr

Tonga

#1 Jul 2, 2014
bahahahaha

Since: May 13

Chipping Norton, Australia

#2 Jul 2, 2014
LOL dreams are free I guess...

Since: Dec 13

Location hidden

#3 Jul 3, 2014
Fijian_Warrior wrote:
Why would u care, they Polys anyways u take your Mela arz back to t bachelor hut, biatch.
jestr

Tonga

#4 Jul 3, 2014
Fijian_Warrior wrote:
Next we will ask New Zealand to give up Mangere too
WTF

Auckland, New Zealand

#5 Jul 3, 2014
tongangodz wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would u care, they Polys anyways u take your Mela arz back to t bachelor hut, biatch.
They're actually mixed, thank you very much. The Lau Group will always be apart of Fiji. Deal with it :)

Location hidden

#6 Jul 3, 2014
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>
They're actually mixed, thank you very much. The Lau Group will always be apart of Fiji. Deal with it :)
Well, looky looky, apparently it's being dealt w as we speak, genius. U r mixed up in t head, t Lau Group has always been Poly, even in language, later they were absorbed into t Fijian dialect, but certainly they would b welcomed w much love. Dam hater.
WTF

Auckland, New Zealand

#7 Jul 3, 2014
tongangodz wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, looky looky, apparently it's being dealt w as we speak, genius. U r mixed up in t head, t Lau Group has always been Poly, even in language, later they were absorbed into t Fijian dialect, but certainly they would b welcomed w much love. Dam hater.
Doesn't matter laho (oops, sorry lol). They still regard themselves as Fijian nationalistically. So go have a cry betch hihihi...

Location hidden

#8 Jul 3, 2014
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter laho (oops, sorry lol). They still regard themselves as Fijian nationalistically. So go have a cry betch hihihi...
N who died n made u from t Lau spokes person. Lmaooooo!!!!
billy the kid

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9 Jul 3, 2014
Lau which Lau you taking about lol they are 4 kingdoms Lauans are known to be ruthless and look down on Tonga lol This apes Mafau came up with something out of this world Lauans are of nobility Bloodline of the 27 kingdoms in Fiji they only thing Most Fijian want from Tonga is the whole of Vauvau lol.
Tongafisi hate slaves.
billy the kid

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#10 Jul 3, 2014
Lomaviti owns Lau ahahahaha come to me your dad
billy the kid

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#11 Jul 3, 2014
I want to make a offer how about we get vauavu girls and we can drop call the indians in Tonga omg thats awesome
billy the kid

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#12 Jul 3, 2014
Isnt mafau buried in Lau i forgot
billy the kid

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#13 Jul 3, 2014
mAFAU IS BACK FROM THE DEAD omg SOMEONE CALL THE DEATH REAPER.

Location hidden

#14 Jul 3, 2014
billy the kid wrote:
Lomaviti owns Lau ahahahaha come to me your dad
Billy go to bed w t rest of t kids. Big ppl talk only.
WTF

Auckland, New Zealand

#15 Jul 3, 2014
tongangodz wrote:
<quoted text>
N who died n made u from t Lau spokes person. Lmaooooo!!!!
I didn't say I was. I'm only saying that the Lauans are Fijian. Feel free to show me any who wish to secede from Fiji and join with Tonga. Obviously you're their elected spokesperson :)
billy the kid

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#16 Jul 3, 2014
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say I was. I'm only saying that the Lauans are Fijian. Feel free to show me any who wish to secede from Fiji and join with Tonga. Obviously you're their elected spokesperson :)
wana lick my balls

#17 Jul 3, 2014
And just to clear things up Lau was originally inhabited by Melanesians:

"In understanding Lauan culture, it is important to bear in mind these
three cultural traditions. THE "LAND PEOPLE" WERE THE EARLIEST INHABITANTS of the area, they subsisted primarily on jungle produce supplemented by horticulture, had a simple social organization, and believed in local spirits. About 10 generations ago the ancestors of the
"Nakauvandra people" immigrated to Lau. They brought with them a highly organized and complicated system of ranking which was reflected in their hierarchy of gods. They stressed the divinity of the chieftainship, and they stimulated craftsmanship, especially in the area of carpentry. The height of Tongan contact was in the mid-nineteenth century. The Tongans also stressed the divine chieftainship and they introduced new forms of ceremonialism."

First inhabited by the "land people" followed by the "Nakauvandra people" from Viti-Levu, the Tongans actually came and settled in Lau last.

Also interesting to know is that the Nakauvandra people(Fijians) are also the highest ranked people in Lau in regards to Chieftainship(It was them who brought the highly organized and complicated system of ranking which was reflected in their hierarchy of gods. They stressed the divinity of the chieftainship):

"At the highest level of kinship organization, there are five ranked
phratries. The lowest ranked phratry is that of the "land people."
The "land people" are the commoners and comprise 80 percent of the
Lau population. The upper class is composed of the other four phratries
with the chief's phratry (the "Nakauvandra people") ranking the highest
and constituting the nobility. The other three phratries consist of
two carpenter phratries and the phratry of the Tongans or "sea people."

Last interesting point is again the Nakauvandra people were the ones who and stimulated craftsmanship, especially in the area of carpentry. Referring to the building of Canoes(Ndrua) etc. which both Tongans and Samoans eventually adapted(Kalia, Alia).

http://lucy.ukc.ac.uk/ethnoatlas/hmar/cult_di...

Location hidden

#18 Jul 3, 2014
4.3 What happened in Fiji and West Polynesia after the colonising phase?
The archaeological record points to a continuing exchange of ideas and materials between at least eastern Fiji and West Polynesia in the centuries following first settlement.

A parallel sequence of ceramic changes occurs across Fiji, Tonga and Samoa, up to about 2200 BP, and Davidson 1979:91) comments that the changes are “so similar that the resemblances must be result of contact and exchange of ideas”.
The linguistic evidence suggests that soon after the Lapita settlement of Fiji and West Polynesia, people living in the western parts of the Fiji group, including Viti Levu, ceased to have regular contact with people in Tonga. This was not the case for the eastern parts of Fiji, particularly the Lau group, which sits between Fiji and Tonga. For a time Lau was probably linguistically closer to Tonga and Samoa than to western Fiji but later was reabsorbed into the main Fijian dialect complex.
There is a little evidence for a Central Pacific subgroup consisting of the Fijian and Polynesian groups together with Rotuman. Proto Central Pacific evidently was not a homogeneous entity but existed for a time as a chain of dialects centred in Viti Levu and Vanua Levu but probably at first extending to the Lau group and Tonga. However, the innovations that unite Polynesian with the entire Fijian region (and with Rotuman) are few. Instead there are a number of innovations that link eastern Fijian dialects, especially those of Lau and parts of eastern Vanua Levu, with Polynesian (Geraghty 1983).
After Polynesian diverged, the Fijian rump of the Central Pacific dialect complex gradually diversified, with a major subgroup boundary developing in Viti Levu, between western and eastern dialects, following substantial inland settlement of the major river valleys, as was outlined in 3.3. But the rate of divergence was a good deal slower than that in Vanuatu. After 3000 years there are clearly at least two languages, Eastern and Western Fijian, and on grounds of cognate percentages and degree of mutual intelligibility one can make a case for distinguishing five or six Eastern Fijian languages and at least a couple of Western languages. But this still falls well short of Vanuatu’s 100.

http://www.vjf.cnrs.fr/lacito/colloque/diapor...

#19 Jul 3, 2014
LOL what has that got to do with the original settlers of Lau being Fijian/Melanesian? off course there was contact between the two groups over time so changes in LANGUAGE occurred but the fact remains that the original settlers were Fijian/Melanesian people as stated in the above info.

Also notice your info is purely speculative?

"For a time Lau was PROBABLY linguistically closer to Tonga and Samoa than to western Fiji but later was reabsorbed into the main Fijian dialect complex."

So my original point stands that the original inhabitants of Lau were Fijians/Melanesian, Tongans were literally the last people to settle there out of the three groups.

"THE "LAND PEOPLE" WERE THE EARLIEST INHABITANTS of the area, they subsisted primarily on jungle produce supplemented by horticulture, had a simple social organization, and believed in local spirits. About 10 generations ago the ancestors of the "Nakauvandra people" immigrated to Lau. They brought with them a highly organized and complicated system of ranking which was reflected in their hierarchy of gods. They stressed the divinity of the chieftainship, and they stimulated craftsmanship, especially in the area of carpentry. The height of Tongan contact was in the mid-nineteenth century. The Tongans also stressed the divine chieftainship and they introduced new forms of ceremonialism."

Also know that the Nakauvandra people(Fijians) are also the highest ranked people in Lau in regards to Chieftainship and were the ones who stimulated craftsmanship, especially in the area of carpentry. Referring to the building of Canoes(Ndrua) etc. which both Tongans and Samoans eventually adapted(Kalia, Alia).

Your info was good but very off topic. If you wan't to talk about how linguistics changed over time then just start a thread about it lol.

Vinaka.

Location hidden

#20 Jul 3, 2014
3.3 Fiji.(16-20 S) The Fiji group contains about 106 inhabited islands. Its land area, 18,200 sq. km, is 50 percent larger than Vanuatu’s and about the same as that of New Caledonia/Loyalty group. Fiji is dominated by two very large islands, Viti Levu and Vanuau Levu, which make up 87 percent of the land area. To the east of Viti Levu are two substantial clusters of islands. The Lomaiviti group ies 30-100 km away. Another 150- 250 km further east, situated about half-way between Viti Levu and Tonga, lies the widely-scattered Lau group. To the south of Viti Levu is the large island of Kadavu and to the west are the Yasawa and Mamanuca groups.(For present purposes the small isolated island of Rotuma, some 400 km north of Vanua Lava, is not considered part of the archipelago.) A case can be made for treating Fiji as consisting of two archipelagos: the main group and the Lau group.

Lol right back u Fijian Wannabe, it was obvious from a linguistic point of view t people of Lau were Polys as well, not just by appearance, cultural traditions, but by language which is t real give away, that their early language was very much Tonga n Samoa. This is t very reason why they were able distinguish two regions in Fiji that made up t whole group, first t main archipelago n that t Lau group.

As u can see it obvious to t experts that t Lau group were different from t others n belonged to us. So, pls get over it, n hurry w handing it over. Lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 20 min THIM squiggles IS... 23,225
Australia shuts door on asylum-seekers in Indon... 30 min Neville Thompson 155
Narendra Modi mania hits Indian diaspora in Aus... 59 min Neville Thompson 84
New Zealand community in shock after police off... 1 hr Beastly 8
Pig's Mutilated Carcass Scattered Outside Austr... 2 hr Goats milk is a knob 16
Australian ISIS Jihadist Shot Dead Stabbing Cops 4 hr LEO 477 22
Calls for Samoans to be deported from Australia (Nov '08) 6 hr Mabal79 4,419
Jewish boy, 4, clouted on head 22 hr 43lbt 52

Oceania People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE