It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Comments (Page 5,102)

Showing posts 102,021 - 102,040 of103,227
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
sid

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109485
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> I bested you in a comparison of the U.S. vs Australia. It was an easy achievement.
I didn't know there was a competition going, maybe this has something to do with the constant state of war that america is in, war on drugs,war on poverty, war on terrorism, war on cancer, a war like mentality and a pathological need to win. Ok you win on statistics, feel good now, but the 30,000 or so shot last year and their families probably don't feel so good cause you win an argument on statistics.
I don't really give a fcuk about statistics, one dead unnecessarily is one too many.
And 22 kids dead is not just a shame or as you would call it " collateral damage" it's a fcuking national disgrace and you should hang your head in shame that such a thing could happen is a so called highly developed country. Your manic need to own guns won't, and hasn't protected you from your tyrannical government, they already fcuking own you, just like our governments owns us, they won't take you on with guns they don't need to.
Demtel

Stavropol, Russia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109486
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

sid wrote:
<quoted text>
Riding on the back of other individuals achievements or scientific break through's means nothing, just because an australian had something to do with discovering penicillin doesn't make me a great person. If an american run an 9 second 100 meters does that make you a great runner.
Then what is he supposed to say for "we Americans" ??? Americans and I ? Well ?
How is this wrong ?
Very weak argument you have Sid, just to try and suck up to Ahomona.
I don't think you need to try hard to impress her with her grade 3 education.
sid

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109487
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
What would be your assessment, Sid?
I feel it is the drug culture introduced in the mid-sixties. The entitlement mentality. A loser raised on government programs has no sense of accomplishment or self worth gains a certain amount of respect in his world with a gun.
I agree, put a gun in the hands of some crazy drug fcuked loser and he's a king, but the point I am trying to make is not about the gun it's why is there a drug fcuked loser and what made him what he is and why does he have an utter disregard for himself and the rest of society. What produced the antisocial careless selfish attitude. I am not criticising america here, this is a universal problem. Your and my societies are fundamentally ill, crime is not a disease it is an overt symptom of an underlying condition, a sickness of the psyche that manifests overtly in antisocial violence. Yes australia is a violent society just like yours and lots of places I won't go at night and it's getting worse so what does that tell me, it tells me there is a basic flaw in the ethos of our society that is destroying it from within. There is something very badly wrong with the capitalist industrial system because the crime and filth we see is a product of it.
Before anyone jumps on me, the communist/socialist systems are no different or better, I see them simply as concentrated capitalist systems where the government is the boss not individuals.
A simplistic view is that there is more than enough to go around but it's not distributed anywhere near evenly enough, it always seems strange to me why in countries like america and australia that are so rich why so many are doing it so hard, absolutely busting their arses just to keep their heads above water. I seems that our governments and industry own our countries and it's wealth and us citizens are only allowed the crumbs that fall from their table. Give us just enough to get by and keep us in a state of not quite pissed off enough to revolt against the system.
Anything that manifests in the material world is a manifestation of the thinking behind it, it is not the problem itself, it is a result of the problem.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109488
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

5

5

4

Demtel wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Oprah has a job and contributes to society unlike you who just takes.
I will go through it in more baby like easy to understand terms just for you.
I am not saying everyone that has dogs is a bogan, I am saying all unemployed welfare bogans own dogs. The fact that they are unemployed welfare bogans has already been established, owning dogs is added after the fact. This is plain english 101 and anyone with even a limited education could understand this.
The more you talk, the more obvious it is that you left school at a young age.
Your rhetoric is as boring as bat shit, the constant ramblings of a retard loser, a loser with a gun who would have thought eh!
Demtel

Stavropol, Russia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109489
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Your rhetoric is as boring as bat shit, the constant ramblings of a retard loser, a loser with a gun who would have thought eh!
If anyone is boring its you.
You have nothing at all to offer the world, you are just a drain.
You think you can any a loser ? YOU ??? A person that subsists on welfare and expects other to pay for her life. A person with low intelligence and limited education with an awful personality.
It's no wonder you have gone nowhere in life.
I would love for you to speak publicly, anyone in the media would tear you to pieces in 30 seconds.
Lol even with all your spare time and a know it all personality you let yourself become overweight ha ha ha !
Is there anything you can succeed in ?
You should have a look at yourself before you tell anyone else what they should do.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109490
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

sid wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, put a gun in the hands of some crazy drug fcuked loser and he's a king, but the point I am trying to make is not about the gun it's why is there a drug fcuked loser and what made him what he is and why does he have an utter disregard for himself and the rest of society. What produced the antisocial careless selfish attitude. I am not criticising america here, this is a universal problem. Your and my societies are fundamentally ill, crime is not a disease it is an overt symptom of an underlying condition, a sickness of the psyche that manifests overtly in antisocial violence. Yes australia is a violent society just like yours and lots of places I won't go at night and it's getting worse so what does that tell me, it tells me there is a basic flaw in the ethos of our society that is destroying it from within. There is something very badly wrong with the capitalist industrial system because the crime and filth we see is a product of it.
Before anyone jumps on me, the communist/socialist systems are no different or better, I see them simply as concentrated capitalist systems where the government is the boss not individuals.
A simplistic view is that there is more than enough to go around but it's not distributed anywhere near evenly enough, it always seems strange to me why in countries like america and australia that are so rich why so many are doing it so hard, absolutely busting their arses just to keep their heads above water. I seems that our governments and industry own our countries and it's wealth and us citizens are only allowed the crumbs that fall from their table. Give us just enough to get by and keep us in a state of not quite pissed off enough to revolt against the system.
Anything that manifests in the material world is a manifestation of the thinking behind it, it is not the problem itself, it is a result of the problem.
I don't get into that my country is better than your country crap. We are both great countries, but, as you say, both are suffering from some sort of societal illness. I'm not sure what it is.

I wouldn't say it's the wealth not being distributed even enough. About 47% of the public here is receiving some sort of government help. The mentioned gun toting loser is probably receiving food stamps, rent assistance or free housing, welfare, utility assistance, free lunch at school (if he hasn't dropped out), a free phone, and other benefits including Medicaid. The old saying goes, what costs nothing is worth nothing. No sweat equity, no value.

You may have hit on something in regard to big government and its relationship with industry or government corporatism. Corporations are in bed with the government and can do as they please as long as it does what the government wants. This symbiotic relationship lines the pockets of the politicians and the politicians protect the corporation with subsidies and bailouts.

There is too much government and we all pay for it and barely keeping our heads above water doing it. I don't think schools are keeping up with a changing world. They still produce workers while we have distribution warehouses completely run by robots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

I think the biggest society illness is the breakdown of the family and, as you said, a lack of ethics or honesty. The average slum loser has a single mom and a number of half brothers and sisters all with different fathers. No structure, no self respect or self worth.
GoGoBar

Chachoengsao, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109491
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

One half havent got any income and the other half are wasting it on bmw's and japanese jet skis or hiding it to avoid taxes.
I have to say that the baby boomers and retirees are not exactly putting their money back into the domestic economies either.
A lot of money is going up into the air in text messages and internet plans. The only way to recoup that expense is to buy cheaply online and kill the retail industry shopfronts.
Still, there is plenty of money to be made if you have the talent and willpower. It is just more difficult and takes a bit more risk.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109492
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Demtel wrote:
<quoted text>
If anyone is boring its you.
You have nothing at all to offer the world, you are just a drain.
You think you can any a loser ? YOU ??? A person that subsists on welfare and expects other to pay for her life. A person with low intelligence and limited education with an awful personality.
It's no wonder you have gone nowhere in life.
I would love for you to speak publicly, anyone in the media would tear you to pieces in 30 seconds.
Lol even with all your spare time and a know it all personality you let yourself become overweight ha ha ha !
Is there anything you can succeed in ?
You should have a look at yourself before you tell anyone else what they should do.
Yawn.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109493
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why the need to tell me as if you believe I am, a tad defeatist there eh? You dumb noong.
Defeatist..?...nah...I love rubbing it in your face...and reminds others reading the thread....

You're irrelevant.

You spout off a lot of BS and that's all it is...because you are irrelevant.

Your opinions are irrelevant...you are irrelevant to the US Constitution...you are irrelevant to the Bill of Rights (NOT needs)...you are irrelevant to the 2nd Amendment...you are irrelevant to me or anyone exercising their individual right to keep and bear arms.

Oh...did anyone tell you lately...?....you're irrelevant.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109494
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, the reasons were in the text.
"the more intransigent causes of American violence, including its dying cities, inequality, deteriorating family structure, and the all- pervasive economic and social consequences of a history of slavery and racism."
Of course his study did not include Murder, Mass Shootings or Murder Suicides.
You might notice his recomendations.
"...unrelated to its extraordinarily high gun ownership."

So stop trying to "relate" it.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109495
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

GoGoBar wrote:
One half havent got any income and the other half are wasting it on bmw's and japanese jet skis or hiding it to avoid taxes.
I have to say that the baby boomers and retirees are not exactly putting their money back into the domestic economies either.
A lot of money is going up into the air in text messages and internet plans. The only way to recoup that expense is to buy cheaply online and kill the retail industry shopfronts.
Still, there is plenty of money to be made if you have the talent and willpower. It is just more difficult and takes a bit more risk.
The gun and ammo business has picked up in the last 6 years...and will continue.

Shoot one box of ammo and buy two.
Mr NaughtyBits

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109496
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn.
Yeah, and then monkeys flew out yer arse!

:-))
Mr NaughtyBits

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109497
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
The gun and ammo business has picked up in the last 6 years...and will continue.
Shoot one box of ammo and buy two.
Good plan! Use one, buy two, and stock-up whenever you have the wherewithal.

You might die with lots of ammo, and food, but you'll never be wanting for any of that!

As my parents used to say: Always be planning for that next emergency, because even if it never happens you'll still be prepared.

Better to be prepared than to be despaired!
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109498
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Mr NaughtyBits wrote:
<quoted text>
Good plan! Use one, buy two, and stock-up whenever you have the wherewithal.
You might die with lots of ammo, and food, but you'll never be wanting for any of that!
As my parents used to say: Always be planning for that next emergency, because even if it never happens you'll still be prepared.
Better to be prepared than to be despaired!
You got it. Maintain proficiency and continue to build your stock.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109499
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Defeatist..?...nah...I love rubbing it in your face...and reminds others reading the thread....
You're irrelevant.
You spout off a lot of BS and that's all it is...because you are irrelevant.
Your opinions are irrelevant...you are irrelevant to the US Constitution...you are irrelevant to the Bill of Rights (NOT needs)...you are irrelevant to the 2nd Amendment...you are irrelevant to me or anyone exercising their individual right to keep and bear arms.
Oh...did anyone tell you lately...?....you're irrelevant.
Seems to me and everyone else on this thread that YOU believe I am very relevant, you retard.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109500
Jun 23, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Mr NaughtyBits wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and then monkeys flew out yer arse!
:-))
OOh which species? maybe I could save a few before idiots like you with the guns, kill them all eh!

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109501
Jun 24, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Mr NaughtyBits wrote:
<quoted text>
Good plan! Use one, buy two, and stock-up whenever you have the wherewithal.
You might die with lots of ammo, and food, but you'll never be wanting for any of that!
As my parents used to say: Always be planning for that next emergency, because even if it never happens you'll still be prepared.
Better to be prepared than to be despaired!
Gafaw gafaw, hey there Billy Bob(ref: to a backward hick) love your interaction with the other loser. Maybe if you two put your heads together you might get one brain cell to share, I doubt it....I do love gun toting dick head speak though, it is so backward and brief, just a few grunts and clicks. heehehehehe
vinny

Ottumwa, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109505
Jun 24, 2013
 
/|_
......../|
..........
.......... >..........
.......... >..........
..........
..........
..........
........._
......./'|
.......//-
.....//\--
...//.....
//........
( >..........
/ >..........
/_|.......
/__/......
/_/.......
.....
...
.
Mr NaughtyBits

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109507
Jun 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Gafaw gafaw, hey there Billy Bob(ref: to a backward hick) love your interaction with the other loser. Maybe if you two put your heads together you might get one brain cell to share, I doubt it....I do love gun toting dick head speak though, it is so backward and brief, just a few grunts and clicks. heehehehehe
Funny thing, THUNDER THIGHS: With those 'few grunts, and clicks,' me mates and I exchange more knowledge betwixt ourselves in a single moment, than ANY of which you are capable in a whole year's time!

In other words, YOU DOTARD, YOU are A RETARD!

:-))

Now, GET ON THAT SHORT BUS, you SL UT! And LEAVE THOSE DOGS ALONE, you animal abuser!!!!

:-))
Sock Puppet Alert

Chachoengsao, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109508
Jun 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Mr NaughtyBits wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny thing, THUNDER THIGHS: With those 'few grunts, and clicks,' me mates and I exchange more knowledge betwixt ourselves in a single moment, than ANY of which you are capable in a whole year's time!
In other words, YOU DOTARD, YOU are A RETARD!
:-))
Now, GET ON THAT SHORT BUS, you SL UT! And LEAVE THOSE DOGS ALONE, you animal abuser!!!!
:-))
A single moment?

What, are you inhabiting the same brain?

HAHAHAHAHA

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 102,021 - 102,040 of103,227
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••