It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Comments (Page 5,029)

Showing posts 100,561 - 100,580 of103,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Shall NOT be infringed!”

Since: Apr 13

San Jose, CA.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait a minute bonehead, no one an any of these forums has suggested that people should no longer have the right to own fire arms, get real and stop putting words in my mouth. Perhaps you ought to listen to your own advise, move on and stop whining!
Hey traitor-troll, what part of the following do you NOT understand?

"The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms shall NOT be infringed".
spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh?
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

crawlfish wrote:
<quoted text> Hey, it's not too late. You can still find good deals like that down here. I know you're probably settled now and own your own home and probably have family there in NJ now, but hey, how abut a winter or summer home here.
I'm all paid off, debt free, now. Most of the immediate family moved to Georgia. If I were to move now, it would be to Georgia. I really like the Savannah area.

Since: Feb 13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm all paid off, debt free, now. Most of the immediate family moved to Georgia. If I were to move now, it would be to Georgia. I really like the Savannah area.
For sure, Georgia/Savannah area is a nice place, nice people. I got a hunch, someday, you'll be a southerner yet.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Like all liberals I think it's the word ' infringe ' that's she's haveing the trouble with. lol
Tyler Armstrong

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

IF America had gun control murders would find some way of getting their hands on a gun. Just because Australia gun murders got lower doesn't mean jack squat. So get a life and wake up Australians.

San Jose, CA.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

crawlfish wrote:
<quoted text> Like all liberals I think it's the word ' infringe ' that's she's haveing the trouble with. lol
That's a fact. Just as the USurpreme Kourt doesn't have a clue as to what it means either.(At least the present kourt).

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a fact. Just as the USurpreme Kourt doesn't have a clue as to what it means either.(At least the present kourt).
Wouldn't it be funny if every gun owner e-mailed each justice with a definition of 'infringed' according to websters?
spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

crawlfish wrote:
<quoted text>Wouldn't it be funny if every gun owner e-mailed each justice with a definition of 'infringed' according to websters?
Even a cursory look at history shows many actions of the Founding Fathers, Jefferson included, would be considered unconstitutional by modern courts, and that the modern concept. Many laws, just as contrary to the views of the founders, have passed with little reaction, yet with the usual claim of their constitutionality, and accepted by few Americans as what our founders wanted. Thus, some things the courts have ruled as unconstitutional include: posting the Ten Commandments in schools (Stone v. Graham, 1980) and public buildings (Harvey v. Cobb County, 1993); having a prayer at a school graduation ceremony (Harris v. Joint School District, 1994); having a planter in the shape of a cross at a public cemetery (Warsaw v. Tehachapi, 1990); having a classroom library contain books which deal with Christianity, or for a teacher to be seen with a personal copy of the Bible at school (Roberts v. Madigan, 1990); displaying religious artwork in schools (Washegesic v. Bloomingdale Public Schools, 1993).

San Jose, CA.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Even a cursory look at history shows many actions of the Founding Fathers, Jefferson included, would be considered unconstitutional by modern courts, and that the modern concept. Many laws, just as contrary to the views of the founders, have passed with little reaction, yet with the usual claim of their constitutionality, and accepted by few Americans as what our founders wanted. Thus, some things the courts have ruled as unconstitutional include: posting the Ten Commandments in schools (Stone v. Graham, 1980) and public buildings (Harvey v. Cobb County, 1993); having a prayer at a school graduation ceremony (Harris v. Joint School District, 1994); having a planter in the shape of a cross at a public cemetery (Warsaw v. Tehachapi, 1990); having a classroom library contain books which deal with Christianity, or for a teacher to be seen with a personal copy of the Bible at school (Roberts v. Madigan, 1990); displaying religious artwork in schools (Washegesic v. Bloomingdale Public Schools, 1993).
"It is true that religion has been closely identified with our history and government. As we said in Engel v. Vitale, 370 U.S. 421, 434 (1962), "The history of man is inseparable from the history of religion. And ... since the beginning of that history many people have devoutly believed that `More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.'" In Zorach v. Clauson, 343 U.S. 306, 313 (1952), we gave specific recognition to the proposition that "[w]e are a religious people whose institutions presuppose a Supreme Being." The fact that the Founding Fathers believed devotedly that there was a God and that the unalienable rights of man were rooted in Him is clearly evidenced in their writings, from the Mayflower Compact to the Constitution itself. This background is evidenced today in our public life through the continuance in our oaths of office from the Presidency to the Alderman of the final supplication, "So help me God." Likewise each House of the Congress provides through its Chaplain an opening prayer, and the sessions of this Court are declared open by the crier in a short ceremony, the final phrase of which invokes the grace of God. Again, there are such manifestations in our military forces, where those of our citizens who are under the restrictions of military service wish to engage in voluntary worship. Indeed, only last year an official survey of the country indicated that 64% of our people have church membership, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce, Statistical Abstract of the United States (83d ed. 1962), 48, while less than 3% profess no religion whatever. Id., at p. 46. It can be truly said, therefore, that today, as in the beginning, our national life reflects a religious people who, in the words of Madison, are "earnestly praying, as ... in duty bound, that the Supreme Lawgiver of the Universe ... guide them into every measure which may be worthy of his [blessing ....]" Memorial and Remonstrance Against Religious Assessments, quoted in Everson v. Board of Education, 330 U.S. 1, 71-72 (1947)(Appendix to dissenting opinion of Rutledge, J.)."

- MR. JUSTICE CLARK deliver[ing] the opinion of the U.S. Supreme Court,[ABINGTON SCHOOL DIST. v. SCHEMPP, 374 U.S. 203 (1963). Page 374 U.S. 203, 212, 213] Decided June 17, 1963.

Afforded Us by God and Nature
http://gunshowonthenet.blogspot.com/2013/04/s...

Agreed to Found Our Rights on the Laws of Nature
http://gunshowonthenet.blogspot.com/2013/04/a...

God In America
http://gunshowonthenet.blogspot.com/p/gon-in....

Which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them
http://gunshowonthenet.blogspot.com/p/which-l...

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

crawlfish wrote:
<quoted text> How are you doing Ms Ahomana? Hope today finds you well and happy. Can you believe this, banned thinks I'm anti gun, lol. Anyway, just wanted to say hello. Im off this thread. Peace.
Bye Crawfish nice chatting and debating with you...don't stay away too long.:)

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I consider banging one's head against the wall a pointless excersise.
Yes, I have the same problem, but I am nothing if not dedicated to the education of you ignorants. What happened to your girlfriend wearing the skirt?

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
The vast majority of ethnics, as you say, are American in heart and mind. Who cares what color they are?
This isn't brain surgery. The people or criminals who have the guns now have them illegally. These drug gangs are armed mostly by drug cartels. Capisce?
They are armed by the cartels who mostly get their guns from America?:) so either stop manufacturing so many weapons in your country and control where they go, or ban them, that should control the amount of guns getting into the hands of gangs? I still recommend you always go for the source not the arms...

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Which part is being infringed? You will still have your guns? So which part?

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

GunShow1 wrote:
God In America
GunShow1 wrote:
Why were there NO 'gun control laws' from 1791 all the way up to 1934?
Kentucky enacted the first carrying concealed weapon statute in the United States in 1813.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

crawlfish wrote:
<quoted text>Wouldn't it be funny if every gun owner e-mailed each justice with a definition of 'infringed' according to websters?
Wouldn't it be funny if every gun owner learned to read the opinions as expressed by the Supreme Court?
JusticeScalia wrote:
Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.
Justice Scalia
Writing for the majority of the real Supreme Court
Based on the real US Constitution
This century
[United States v.] Heller... 2008

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

spocko wrote:
Thus, some things the courts have ruled as unconstitutional include: posting the Ten Commandments in schools .
Because they are unconstitutional, dumbazz.

Of course: you are befuddled.

Why not post these:

The Ten Commandments of Buddhism

Do not destroy life.
Do not take what is not given you.
Do not commit adultery.
Tell no lies and deceive no one.
Do not become intoxicated.
Eat temperately and not at all in the afternoons.
Do not watch dancing, nor listen to singing or plays.
Wear no garlands, perfumes or any adornments.
Sleep not in luxurious beds.
Accept no gold or silver.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Infringe--------"to encroach upon a way that violates law or the RIGHTS of another"

usa constitution-----' congress shall no law to INFRINGE, etc"
spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they are unconstitutional, dumbazz.
Of course: you are befuddled.
Why not post these:
The Ten Commandments of Buddhism
Do not destroy life.
Do not take what is not given you.
Do not commit adultery.
Tell no lies and deceive no one.
Do not become intoxicated.
Eat temperately and not at all in the afternoons.
Do not watch dancing, nor listen to singing or plays.
Wear no garlands, perfumes or any adornments.
Sleep not in luxurious beds.
Accept no gold or silver.
I would advice you to heed your own advice :)

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't it be funny if every gun owner learned to read the opinions as expressed by the Supreme Court?
<quoted text>
Justice Scalia
Writing for the majority of the real Supreme Court
Based on the real US Constitution
This century
[United States v.] Heller... 2008
Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia on Sunday said that even “handheld rocket launchers” could be considered legal under his interpretation of the Constitution’s Second Amendment.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/29/scalia-...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 100,561 - 100,580 of103,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••