It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Comments
98,861 - 98,880 of 103,234 Comments Last updated Jun 22, 2014
free republic

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I am stating how stupid it is to have a gun for protection...when chances are the crim is not afraid to kill someone or use his gun...by the time you got yours you would be as dead as a doornail...make you feel better does it?
you suffering from major depression i understand australia is depressed country i will lend you my firearm so you can shoot your self

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
A 1997 Justice Department survey of more than 18,000 state and federal convicts revealed the truth:
• 39.6% of criminals obtained a gun from a friend or family member
A: Legally I take it, which is my point.
• 39.2% of criminals obtained a gun on the street or from an illegal source
A: HOW....how can they get a gun from and illegal source?
• 0.7% of criminals purchased a gun at a gun show
A: How, they are supposed to do a background check, if not wouldn't law abiders want a law passed, to say that they must?
• 1% of criminals purchased a gun at a flea market
A: Again aren't these people supposed to do a check? if not wouldn't law abiding citizens want a law passed to say they must?
• 3.8% of criminals purchased a gun from a pawn shop
A: Aren't they supposed to do background checks...wouldn't law abiders want to pass a law that prevents these gun ending up in the hands of crims?
• 8.3% of criminals actually bought their guns from retail outlets
A: How is that possible if they have background checks, wouldn't all you law abiding gun owners wanting to close this gap and make it law so they don't end up in the wrong hands...
Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/11/where-crimi...
Kinda takes the wind out of your sails regarding gun shows. Of course you will never admit it.
No it doesn't I have stated all along that in order for a crim to get a gun...there has to be corruption...the gun sellers the cops family members and gun shows...and the fact that decent law abider wouldn't move to close those gaps says that they are in favour of them remaining that way so they too can get guns without checks done....thanks for playing into my hands...it was very thoughtful....you are all idiots, nothing new to me...but I think you might look at yourselves a little differently after that display of noongness....
free republic

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
There are criminals that would walk up to you and blow your brains out before you had the chance to raise your gun, because they are not scared to die,if fact they are daring you to kill them, they have no fear...there are crims that would massacre your family because they are high....there are criminals that would break into your house knowing you keep loaded guns everywhere to steal your media player to buy crack because they are strung out, and the last thing they are worried about is you being home or your guns. get real.
i watched australian news and lots of people want to commit suicide cause there british took all your rights and guns jump in their swimming pool and drown yourself

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

The Raging Hardon wrote:
<quoted text>
Again your revealed ignorance is legion!
http://thehomegunsmith.com
http://thehomegunsmith.com/pdf/Expedient-Home...
Further, there are places in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and northern India where pattern guns are manufactured by indigent natives, working in near primitive conditions, and those are as fully functional, and accurate as anything you might purchase from a western gun maker.
Yeah it's more likely the crims in the USA get them from the good ole greedy gun retailers and the like in the good ole dumb and greedy USA...eh pacha?
free republic

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah it's more likely the crims in the USA get them from the good ole greedy gun retailers and the like in the good ole dumb and greedy USA...eh pacha?
come to oakland homies will put you 6 feet under
Larry

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> If you will go back to my links you will see gang members who have built their own guns. So much for banning them. It would be a great world, full of roses and sunshine but in reality it's not. In reality evil people exist, and believe it or not your life may depend on you being able to defend yourself or loved ones someday. The criminal is going to do everything in his power to make sure he has the upper hand. He is not going to offer you a fair fight. He intends of being successful at his crime even if it costs you your life. You may cherish life and want a long peaceful one but not everyone shares your dream. Some are happy being what they are, animals. Some enjoy domination, and beating down an unarmed victim. There are child killers, rapist, murderers living among you right now. They like what they do and take great enjoyment from it. They don't fear police or jail or laws enough to stop what they do. Like I told you before, go to your local prison and spend some time in a cell with these good people. You will have a whole new outlook on what lurks in your world. Remember while at that prison only a small % will ever be caught and go there and even then most will be released someday and maybe decide to live near you. Many probably already have. Sleep well. These men are harden criminals, they have been in the toughest environments (prisons) they have had to defend themselves against the worst society has to offer daily. An amateur like yourself with a stick or kitchen knife is not much of threat to them. You will hesitate, you will not want to harm them, you will give them warning, you will do all you can not to hurt anyone. They are opposite. No hesitation, no conscience, no warning, no fear of harming you (some enjoy it and look forward to it).
of all the guns how many have been built in the back shed? How any automatic high power weapons were nuilt in the back shed? Please, think, because these gun nuts clearly dont.
The Raging Hardon

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument continues to be null.
The fact that one or another object is obtained for the purposes of causing harm, cannot in any logical way be said to be connected to the object itself.
You simply cannot blame an object for the ill use which it was employed, anymore than you might blame water for drowning, alcoholic beverages for drunkenness, or writing utensils for written threats.

"Do not suppose that abuses are eliminated by destroying the object which is abused. Men can go wrong with wine and women. Shall we prohibit and abolish women? The sun, moon, and stars have been worshipped. Shall we pluck them out of the sky."
Martin Luther
MalbarCACA Controllers

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

The Raging Hardon wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument continues to be null.
The fact that one or another object is obtained for the purposes of causing harm, cannot in any logical way be said to be connected to the object itself.
You simply cannot blame an object for the ill use which it was employed, anymore than you might blame water for drowning, alcoholic beverages for drunkenness, or writing utensils for written threats.
"Do not suppose that abuses are eliminated by destroying the object which is abused. Men can go wrong with wine and women. Shall we prohibit and abolish women? The sun, moon, and stars have been worshipped. Shall we pluck them out of the sky."
Martin Luther
Cor, what a nic, a million times worse that the Fastard one.
Larry

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

free republic wrote:
<quoted text>i watched australian news and lots of people want to commit suicide cause there british took all your rights and guns jump in their swimming pool and drown yourself
What a load of horse shit. We jump in our pools of evening to cool off! We are not ashamed of our British heritage those of us that are from the mother country, we make a cracking sunday roast of lamb and potatoes and salad with cups of tea and fresh milk. We greet the British from the motherland with cups of tea and fresh bread.

We are pretty welcome in the motherland also. Whats the big deal? We tightened up on the guns, that was our decision. It was our prime ministers action and we supported him, we co operated.

Its like farmers and the RSPCA, its about co operation, improvement.
free republic

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
when you get to oakland a scary looking man with a black moustache will be waiting for you
GoGoBar

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

If at least the Gunnies of America could boast to being the ultimate World and Olympic shooting champions you could excuse some of the sport shooter's enthusiasm.
But they are useless shots too.

Just Corporate suckers the same as ciggarette smokers.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Turn in your guns, the government will take care of you.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/29/17...
GoGoBar

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Whoa, thought it was a nightmare, low, it's all so true
They told me, don't go walkin' slow, the devil's on the loose
Better run through the jungle
Better run through the kids school
Better run through the cinema, don't look back to see

Thought I heard a rumblin', callin' to my name
Three hundred million guns are loaded, Satan cries, "Take aim"
Better run through the temple
Better run through the mall
Better run through the campus, don't look back to see

In the Constitution, thunder magic spoke
"Let the people know my wisdom, fill the land with smoke"
Better run through the shooting range(TX)
Better not run in the Marathon
Better run through the jungle, don't look back to see
GoGoBar

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Aphelion wrote:
“Universal” background checks won’t work. The fact is we have them now. Anytime a law-abiding citizen purchases a gun from a brick-and-mortar or online retailer, pawn shop owner or private dealer—essentially any licensed dealer who sells more than a handful of firearms per month—he or she must submit to a background examination via the National Instant Check System. What’s more, it is already a crime to knowingly transfer a gun to someone who is not authorized to possess one. Neither safeguard has stopped criminals from doing what they do—break the law.
Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/11/where-crimi...
It ain't no joke when Mama's handkerchief is soaked
With her tears because her baby's life has been revoked
The bond is broke up so choke up and focus on the close up
Mr. LaPierre can't perform no God-like hocus pocus
So don't sit back, kick back, and watch the world get bushmaster whacked
News at ten o'clock your neighborhood is under attack
Put away the guns before the guns puts you away
You need to be there when your babies are old enough to relate

So don't delay, act now, gunnuts are running about
Allow, if you're still alive, six to eight years to arrive
And if you follow, there may be a tomorrow
But if the offers shun you might as well be walkin' on the sun
You might as well be walkin' on the sun

Since: Oct 12

Leesburg, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Larry wrote:
<quoted text>Their.
Thanks

Since: Oct 12

Leesburg, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>Actually that was one of the reasons...the others were that one of your soldier stabbed one of our guys and our guys were going to their base to give him a what for, but your superiors closed ranks... the Aussies were out for blood if they let them of the base....things eventually died down after discussion between your military leaders and ours...but the tussles continued back and forth the whole time the yanks were here.
Well I served along side them and the New Zealanders and they were a bunch of great guys and soldiers but they did talk funny. There was this thing about kiwi I didn't get though
GoGoBar

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

"The Founding Fathers Lament"

Who put the Glock in every house?
You did, baby - you did
Who put your granny in the entitlement?
You did, baby - you did, baby
Who put the gunnuts in the jailhouse?
You did, baby - you did
Who blew American Sipers head off?

Keep your eye on things while I'm gone
Keep a lid on things
Don't you try everything while I'm gone
Keep a lid on things

Who put the Joker in the moviehouse?
You did, baby - you did
Who put your debt in the shitehouse?
Who put the boys in the ganghouse?
You did, baby - you did
Who put your daughters in the crackhouse?

Keep a lid on things
Keep a lid on things
Keep a lid on things

Who put the guns in the schoolhouse?
You did, baby - you did
Who put the Slave in the White House?

Keep a lid on things
Keep a lid on things
Keep a lid on things
spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

GunShow1 wrote:
"...Baldwin J charged the jury...."
"The first section of the bill of rights in the constitution of Pennsylvania declares that all men have the inherent and indefeasible right of enjoying and defending life and liberty of acquiring possessing and protecting property that no man can be deprived of his liberty or property but by the judgment of his peers or the law of the land Sect 9 That the right of citizens to bear arms in defence of themselves and the state shall not be questioned Sect 21 The second section of the fourth article of the constitution of the United States declares the citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states. The tenth section of the first article prohibits any state from passing any law which impairs the obligation of a contract. The second amendment provides that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
"...We shall pursue this subject no further, in its bearing on the political rights of the states composing the union--in recalling your attention to these rights, which are the subject of this controversy, we declare to you as the law of the case, that they are inherent and unalienable--so recognised by all our fundamental laws.
"The constitution of the state or union is not the source of these rights, or the others to which we have referred you, they existed in their plenitude before any constitutions, which do not create but protect and secure them against any violation by the legislatures or courts, in making, expounding or administering laws.
"The nature of this case, its history, and the course of the argument, call on us to declare explicitly what is the effect of a constitutional protection or guarantee of any right, or the injunction of any duty. The twenty sixth section of the bill of rights in the constitution of Pennsylvania, is in these words; "to guard against transgressions of the high powers we have delegated we declare [we the people of Pennsylvania], that every thing in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government, and shall for ever remain inviolate." A higher power declares this constitution and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof, shall be the supreme laws of the land, and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, any thing in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding" Const U.S., art. 6, clause 2.
"An amendment of the constitution is of still higher authority, for it has the effect of controlling and repealing the express provisions of the constitution authorizing a power to be exercised, by a declaration that it shall not be construed to give such power. 3 Dall 382.
"We have stated to you the various provisions of the constitution of the United States and its amendments, as well as that of this state; you see their authority and obligation to be supreme over any laws or regulations which are repugnant to them, or which violate, infringe or impair any right thereby secured; the conclusions which result are too obvious to be more than stated."
- U.S. Supreme Court Justice BALDWIN, Circuit Court of The United States,[PENNSYLVANIA APRIL TERM 1833 BEFORE Hon. HENRY BALDWIN, Associate Justice of the [U.S.] Supreme Court, Hon JOSEPH HOPKINSON District Judge, Johnson v Tompkins,(13 F. Cas. 840 (C.C.E.D. Pa. 1833)), and others.]
You love that perverse, political grandstanding don't you ...
AnnAgain

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

GoGoBar wrote:
"The Founding Fathers Lament"
Who put the Glock in every house?
You did, baby - you did
Who put your granny in the entitlement?
Who put the gunnuts in the jailhouse?
You did, baby - you did
Who blew American Sipers head off?
Keep a lid on things
Keep a lid on things
Who put the Joker in the moviehouse?
You did, baby - you did
Who put your debt in the shitehouse?
Who put the boys in the ganghouse?
You did, baby - you did
Who put your daughters in the crackhouse?
Keep a lid on things
Keep a lid on things
Keep a lid on things
Who put the guns in the schoolhouse?
You did, baby - you did
Who put the Slave in the White House?
Keep a lid on things
Keep a lid on things
Keep a lid on things
Huh?
sid

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

The Quote

The report was posted on Dec. 5, 2005. According to author, Doug Thompson, unnamed Republican leaders complained to Bush during a White House meeting about "onerous" portions of the USA Patriot Act, prompting the following:

Capitol Hill Blue:“I don’t give a goddamn,” Bush retorted.“I’m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way.”

“Mr. President,” one aide in the meeting said.“There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution.”

“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back.“It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!”

The Evidence

There’s no record of Bush ever using these words in public and no other news organization has reported him using them privately. Thompson based his report on three sources whom he didn’t name. He gave the date of the quote as "last month," which would put it sometime in November 2005.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••