It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Comments
98,221 - 98,240 of 103,225 Comments Last updated Jun 22, 2014
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#105337 Apr 23, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> well that was an arguement here by the farmers etc, but the statistics paint a pretty clear picture, it worked. Gun crime went down, suicides even went down. Thats a pretty desirable set of statistics
Now we are on to tackling drugs and obesity, and alcohol related assults. Cleaning up society. We are doing a good job. people are pretty good for the most part, but you crack down on these things, and you do get results. Its in everyones interest, and helps us maintain a relaxed,safe and productive society.
Well except for violent crime against the defenseless went up 4x. Those victims probably would argue that it didn't "work". Of course you think that's OK as long as the criminal had a safe work environment. Of course there is always the fact that hose "desirable statistics" were written by those who also said self defense was bad. Funny how that works. Someone tells you they are doing what's best for you then provide you with numbers they found. Let's play a game. I am thinking of a number, if you guess right I will give you $100 if you guess wrong you give me $100. I will let you know if you guess right. He he he. Trust me.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#105338 Apr 23, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
See out restrictions are across all states...for a reason, it can't work effectively if only one or two states comply....it must be fully inclusive. You are continually fighting against yourself...if you have one law in one state but can go across the state line and it is non existent it is confusing and ineffectual....All or nothing, black or white, Teaman, citizens comply if everyone is subject to the same laws...if not you have what you have...total chaos.
Hmmm, nice idea but. Prisons have sealed boarders and NO access to weapons and are under 24/7 observation yet rape, assault, and yes murder still happens, very often. They are subject to the same laws but rarely comply. Now you were saying?
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#105339 Apr 23, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
It always seems to come down to citizen tips, doesn't it? A man steps out onto his back porch to have a cigarette and discovers blood on his boat cover and calls the police. Second bomber caught. I'll never understand why the police didn't use tracking dogs at the scene of the shootout.
If that man had a gun he could have put the police out of a job and caught the bomber himself.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#105340 Apr 23, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> If that man had a gun he could have put the police out of a job and caught the bomber himself.
That would have been funny. Thousands of police running around and a guy having a cigarette makes a citizen's arrest.:-)
Mr Boong

Buffalo, NY

#105341 Apr 23, 2013
Australia is a backwards shithole anyway... who cares if people get shot, its not as if its a loss.

USA has the right idea on limiting welfare and pensions. Australia just supports useless twits that should be left to either work or become extinct like so called disability pensioners, single mothers etc. The government provides these lazy slobs with cheap housing, cheap loans, and a regular income for the rest of their lives and for what ? all they do is breed more lowlife.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#105342 Apr 23, 2013
WOW. What a brilliant idea.
But hang on. America has been doing what you suggest since 1975 and guess what?
They have a boong for President and all the slobs voting for his political party. TWICE!
They are playing catch up and there is nothing they can do about it.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#105343 Apr 23, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Call it a concern over a totalitarian government, it's not really chaos. People have the choice to live where conditions please them. Most of my family moved to Georgia. It's a freedom of choice.
As far as guns crossing state lines, there is a federal law against that under the interstate commerce clause if they would only enforce it. My state has severe penalties for illegally importing guns.
Well that goes to prove the chaos...guns crossing borders and non enforced laws....that is what happen when it is not regarded as an issue by the rest of the states the ones that have it don't care to enforce it, who is going to complain about it?.....It must be something that is implemented by all...and looking from the outside, you look like a very confuse nation indeed....

Perth, Australia

#105344 Apr 23, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text>Hmmm, nice idea but. Prisons have sealed boarders and NO access to weapons and are under 24/7 observation yet rape, assault, and yes murder still happens, very often. They are subject to the same laws but rarely comply. Now you were saying?
Get real that is exactly what I mean in a nutshell, you have laws and equipment to stop those things happening in prisons yet they still do...why do they happen????? because those who are there the guards and administrators running the prison who are supposed to control those prisoners and keep those laws are corrupt, they are not adhering to the rules and regulations which is exactly the same as what happens in gun control....one state may have it but the rest of the states and their citizens see no reasons why they should abide their laws even when visiting therefore those that should enforce the law don't give a rats either...and so it goes.

Perth, Australia

#105345 Apr 23, 2013
Mr Boong wrote:
Australia is a backwards shithole anyway... who cares if people get shot, its not as if its a loss.
USA has the right idea on limiting welfare and pensions. Australia just supports useless twits that should be left to either work or become extinct like so called disability pensioners, single mothers etc. The government provides these lazy slobs with cheap housing, cheap loans, and a regular income for the rest of their lives and for what ? all they do is breed more lowlife.
And yet we do all this and have the 12th best economy in the world and the gun toters you are talking to on this thread that are agreeing with you don't have any of those things and are bordering on financially becoming third world country you dumb arse....ROTFLMFAO....you idiot fell right into that one silly troll....fark off back and lick your wounds...raucous laughter resuming....

Perth, Australia

#105346 Apr 23, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Well except for violent crime against the defenseless went up 4x. Those victims probably would argue that it didn't "work". Of course you think that's OK as long as the criminal had a safe work environment. Of course there is always the fact that hose "desirable statistics" were written by those who also said self defense was bad. Funny how that works. Someone tells you they are doing what's best for you then provide you with numbers they found. Let's play a game. I am thinking of a number, if you guess right I will give you $100 if you guess wrong you give me $100. I will let you know if you guess right. He he he. Trust me.
I have decided that YOU are either the dumbest yank on the planet or you are a troll...we have sorted that our crime rate in comparison (when those statistics are looked at correctly), to yours is so low it is non existent and yet you keep spinning that furfy into propaganda against gun control that does not hold water, so which is yemoron...a retard, or a troll? my money is on troll.

Since: Feb 11

Lynn, UK

#105347 Apr 23, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Well except for violent crime against the defenseless went up 4x. Those victims probably would argue that it didn't "work". Of course you think that's OK as long as the criminal had a safe work environment. Of course there is always the fact that hose "desirable statistics" were written by those who also said self defense was bad. Funny how that works. Someone tells you they are doing what's best for you then provide you with numbers they found. Let's play a game. I am thinking of a number, if you guess right I will give you $100 if you guess wrong you give me $100. I will let you know if you guess right. He he he. Trust me.
Just to keep things fair and guarantee no welching on the bet,,May I suggest you both give me a $100, purely for safe keeping untill you finnish your game ;-)

Since: Feb 11

Lynn, UK

#105348 Apr 23, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I have decided that YOU are either the dumbest yank on the planet or you are a troll...we have sorted that our crime rate in comparison (when those statistics are looked at correctly), to yours is so low it is non existent and yet you keep spinning that furfy into propaganda against gun control that does not hold water, so which is yemoron...a retard, or a troll? my money is on troll.
Perhaps you would like me to look after your money as well.

Perth, Australia

#105349 Apr 24, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you would like me to look after your money as well.
Well seeing you are not smart enough to know that Larry and I are in the right...so you would lose...I don't think so. Maybe you can bake a fruit cake though.:)
gunpro

Anonymous Proxy

#105350 Apr 24, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah that would be the reason!....Dumb troll!...War interrupts trade, it causes mass carnage and damage....who would walk into the home they spent years, blood sweat and tears and money to attain....and then start shooting their family and busting up the place...an idiot like you perhaps....If you are a Christian...then EVERYONE is your brother and that means you don't kill your brother, the non religious strive for equality for all so they don't want war....and morons like you are the scum causing all the trouble from all sides through your greed and stupidity. Sharing is the key....
that's not there point you fat ugly hippo
GoGoBar is a pedophile

Panama

#105351 Apr 24, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
WOW. What a brilliant idea.
But hang on. America has been doing what you suggest since 1975 and guess what?
They have a boong for President and all the slobs voting for his political party. TWICE!
They are playing catch up and there is nothing they can do about it.
We dont want to hear from a child molesting pervert thanks.
Go away.

Perth, Australia

#105353 Apr 24, 2013
gunpro wrote:
<quoted text>that's not there point you fat ugly hippo
Shut up worm...just changing your name every post doesn't mean we don't know who and what you are troll...dum dum.

Chicago, IL

#105354 Apr 24, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that goes to prove the chaos...guns crossing borders and non enforced laws....that is what happen when it is not regarded as an issue by the rest of the states the ones that have it don't care to enforce it, who is going to complain about it?.....It must be something that is implemented by all...and looking from the outside, you look like a very confuse nation indeed....
Wrong. You're confused. There is one federal law. In case you don't know, federal law means the whole country. In this case it isn't about state laws.

Its illegal to sell a gun to a resident of another state. Period. The only way legally around this is to go through an FFL license holder in one or both states. This transaction would then also have to go through background checks and pay some fees.

You talk a lot but don't know much. That's probably why you look so foolish all the time.

Chicago, IL

#105355 Apr 24, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Get real that is exactly what I mean in a nutshell, you have laws and equipment to stop those things happening in prisons yet they still do...why do they happen????? because those who are there the guards and administrators running the prison who are supposed to control those prisoners and keep those laws are corrupt, they are not adhering to the rules and regulations which is exactly the same as what happens in gun control....one state may have it but the rest of the states and their citizens see no reasons why they should abide their laws even when visiting therefore those that should enforce the law don't give a rats either...and so it goes.
Are you 12? You can't be an adult because you think like a child.

People get killed, raped, beaten, in prison because there are killers and rapists in prison. That's what these people do. You make 1000 murderers live together in a confined area and guess what? They are killers, what do you think they will join hands in solidarity and sing kumbayah? Hell no they will kill each other.

What's to stop them? In states with no death penalty they're already serving life so they have nothing to lose. Can't be executed and can't be given any more time - because they already have life.

How can guards stop that? Other than locking every single person in solitary confinement? They can't do that by the way. Not enough cells conservatives would say too expensive and liberals would complain it violated prisoners rights.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#105356 Apr 24, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Or it's just the animal nature in humans. To dwell on one tool humans has made makes no difference to our nature. It's not the guns, it's the human. If one goes to the wild portions of Africa it would be prudent to arm yourself against the possible attack of predators, so why would you not arm yourself against the most dangerous animal on Earth "human"?

Chicago, IL

#105357 Apr 24, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Get real that is exactly what I mean in a nutshell, you have laws and equipment to stop those things happening in prisons yet they still do...why do they happen?????.
Because the people in prison don't give a fu@k about those laws. That's why they got sent to prison in the first place, remember, because they are criminals. Criminals break laws. That's what they do. That's why they're criminals. If they worried about laws then they wouldn't be criminals now would they?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 17 min Zorri 11,662
Australia: MH370 may have turned south sooner 1 hr The ADELAIDEAN 15
Kiwi occupation of German Samoa commemorated 2 hr inbred NZ 3
Australia: Perth of a nation 3 hr Relaxe murderer 10
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 shot down over Uk... 3 hr Ibnallaah 1,076
Sue mum and dad pirates, Malcolm Turnbull tells... 12 hr John Wilkes Booth 13
Father imprisoned 7-years for incest (Jul '10) 12 hr Lifuka 37
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••