It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 Full story: Truthdig 103,368

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Full Story
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#100500 Feb 20, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI - No one cares about Aussie slang, but the Aussies. You have some strange sayings!
Poke a stick at? We say that too.
I have a horrible feeling you are an American. You give Americans a bad name.
Don't forget! The Americans invented Google. Almost everything comes from the USA.
I wouldn't go there, Guppy.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#100501 Feb 20, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
OmG! Maybe she's already here!
What do you look like Aho? A guy or a girl?
Nope sorry to disapoint you fish, Australia is my true love, so unless you can start with dumping your fingerprint checks(useless and timewasting in preventing terrorists) come up with areas to grow our beautiful gum trees and black boys and zamia palms or have kangaroos, Koala's and a laid back lifestyle whereby I can go to the bank, beach, hair salon, real eastate agent, supermarket, cinema or school without the threat of having a gun shoved in my face...you will just have to do without me....The last time I visited your beatiful country was before the shit hit the fan and I don't intend on a visit any time soon, let alone the idiocy of living in a country whereby guns are in the hands of kids. Though the value of your dollar is truly tempting, it's a no go area for this little trooper till you people grab a brain....we have enough things here that can kill you without the added threat of gun violence....so cheers beetch!

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Essendon, Australia

#100502 Feb 20, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, various departments in Obama's branch of government are buying up large amounts of ammunition, even the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration and the Social Security Administration. I don't know why the NOAA would need ammunition. Homeland Security bought two billion rounds, that's billion with a b.
FUTILE!!

Unless they ban private ownership of water pistols they're still out-gunned. The Earth's surface is 70% water!!

BWWOOOAAAHHH!!
ando

Geelong, Australia

#100503 Feb 20, 2013
We have MORE guns in the community now than before howards buyback but the downward trend of gun related deaths continues (which has been the case well before the buback). How do you explain that?
Ahomana wrote:
Woops, gun deaths to surpass vehicle deaths by 2015, I feel the gun lovers arguments slipping away inch by inch...to bad gun deaths can't be limited to a one at a time this would improve your odds, if there just wasn't as many guns so freely available to those pesky law abiding cit's you might have stood a chance to stay up there with the cars and not surpassed them, what a shame.
Read and weep you gun owning lunatics.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-19/amer...

Perth, Australia

#100504 Feb 20, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't go there, Guppy.
I always wonder about Americans who believe that someone is one or should be a yank, and whether or not they have ever stepped accross the gangplank and made it out....you know, to see the other side of life. I appreciate all that America has to offer barring the gun thingy, but when someone like fish says that I might be a yank(curse the thought) my mind questions her ignorance....has she ever been to Aussieland, if she was she would never ask such a dumb question of any Australian would she? Unlike the other countries we are not champing at the bit to move for obvious reason, we are the luckiest people in the world because of our lifestyle and the place we live. Mind I should keep hush else every man and his dog would want to come here and that would not be and exciting prospect, but to want to come for a visit, I could deal with that.
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#100505 Feb 20, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem? You are buying a gun to do damage to another human being. That is the problem.
It would make more sense if people got help for their fear rather than going off the deep end and buying a gun or two.
I assume you will agree with me.
Why would you assume I would agree with you when you are totally wrong...?

"You are buying a gun to do damage to another human being. That is the problem."

That's a very poor assumption on your part. I have NEVER bought a gun with the intent "to do damage to another human being".

So no...I do not agree with you because you are wrong.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#100506 Feb 20, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You gun idiots have the mentality of gnats......Obama isn't the one buying the guns so how do you arive at that decission, are you now saying gun owners are not rational enough to think for themselves that something someone says can totally affect the delicate mental balance of a gun loving looney?....it's not Obama buying or selling the guns , stupid, it's the stupids buying and selling the guns, stupid.

A 61 percent boom in the nation’s gun industry since 2008 has led some experts in the business to call President Barack Obama their “salesman of the year,” according to The Washington Times.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation reported in a survey released Thursday that the economic impact of the firearms and ammunition industry totaled $31 billion in 2011 — up from $19 billion in 2008. The figure includes jobs, taxes, and sales. The foundation, which has its headquarters in Newtown, Conn., is the trade association for the firearms industry.

The number of jobs in the gun industry increased by 30 percent to 98,750, and firearms businesses paid $2.5 billion in federal taxes, up 66 percent in the three-year period, the foundation said. Additionally, background check requests for purchases of firearms set records in 2010 and 2011, FBI data shows.

Fears that Obama will tighten gun control laws if he wins re-election triggered the rise in business, officials in the business say.“There’s a concern that in the second term the Obama administration would lead an attempt to restrict gun ownership,” foundation Senior Vice President Lawrence G. Keane, told The Washington Times.

“Some people jokingly refer to [President Obama] as the salesman of the year for the industry,” Keane said.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/US/Guns-Obama-control-...

Perth, Australia

#100507 Feb 20, 2013
ando wrote:
We have MORE guns in the community now than before howards buyback but the downward trend of gun related deaths continues (which has been the case well before the buback). How do you explain that?
<quoted text>
That's easy there are no new gun buyers just the same oldies with their staid mentality buying more guns. What has changed overwhelmingly is the peoples attitude to guns since Port Arthur and their realisation that we don't need them here if that is going to be the outcome...The majority of people here live in the cities and they are gaining a yuppy coffee loving mentality where guns are the last thought on their minds. There are a few slow learners and with every influx of immigrants comes a new wave of violence, but the gun mentality doesn't exist much anymore except with the bushies and the crims here....and hopefully they are a dying breed or in the case of organised crime underworld and bikie gangs.....they are doing a good job of killing each other off....good job eh!
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#100509 Feb 20, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously Teaman, why would you think that the average law abider should have access whereby they can freely sell and buy as many guns and ammo as they like to protect themselves and maybe a couple of members of their family and not expect or rationalise that the government would need so much more of both guns and ammo to combat it's citizens who go rogue or break the law, criminals, the war against drugs, border control and the Mexican drug dealers? Your logic is beyond reason.
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and Social Security? C'mon, Ahomana.:-) I could understand Homeland Security. I hope they're making purchases for all federal law enforcement. Apparently not if Social Security had to buy their own. I'm not sure if the military used that much in Iraq.

Perth, Australia

#100510 Feb 20, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
A 61 percent boom in the nation’s gun industry since 2008 has led some experts in the business to call President Barack Obama their “salesman of the year,” according to The Washington Times.
The National Shooting Sports Foundation reported in a survey released Thursday that the economic impact of the firearms and ammunition industry totaled $31 billion in 2011 — up from $19 billion in 2008. The figure includes jobs, taxes, and sales. The foundation, which has its headquarters in Newtown, Conn., is the trade association for the firearms industry.
The number of jobs in the gun industry increased by 30 percent to 98,750, and firearms businesses paid $2.5 billion in federal taxes, up 66 percent in the three-year period, the foundation said. Additionally, background check requests for purchases of firearms set records in 2010 and 2011, FBI data shows.
Fears that Obama will tighten gun control laws if he wins re-election triggered the rise in business, officials in the business say.“There’s a concern that in the second term the Obama administration would lead an attempt to restrict gun ownership,” foundation Senior Vice President Lawrence G. Keane, told The Washington Times.
“Some people jokingly refer to [President Obama] as the salesman of the year for the industry,” Keane said.
Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/US/Guns-Obama-control-...
That truly says more about the weak mentality of the American gun owning people and the brainwashing of the that pox Pierre and his NRA than it has anything at all to do with Obama, but then you would need a free thinking brain to understand that, so it isn't easily understood by the gun toting idiots. But I never cease to be amazed at how clueless these yanks really are, and there ability to seize on a financial oportunity.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#100511 Feb 20, 2013
ando wrote:
<quoted text>
Tighter restrictions on who can have a gun, their training, the type of gun, transport and storage.
Stronger penalties for non compliance.
What does this translate into? Higher prices for black market firearms. If an average wannabee want a Glock it will cost you $7K, IF someone will sell one.
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#100512 Feb 20, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You gun idiots have the mentality of gnats......Obama isn't the one buying the guns so how do you arive at that decission, are you now saying gun owners are not rational enough to think for themselves that something someone says can totally affect the delicate mental balance of a gun loving looney?....it's not Obama buying or selling the guns , stupid, it's the stupids buying and selling the guns, stupid.
ROTFLMAO...yes Virginia, Ahomana really is that ignorant.
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#100513 Feb 20, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
SMOKING IS LEGAL, TOBACCO IS LEGAL yet they have banned it and penalise free companies from exercising their rights to serve smokers in their own establishments or in open area cafe's etc... It is funny how you are naive enough to believe because something is "legal", popular opinion can't easily rid itself of it by violating every human right there is, and then they move to legalise illegal substances like marijuana and then let you SMOKE them...see what can be done so easily all you need is the media and a few stirers and then just watch the brainwashing do it's thing. I is indeed amazing how effective this is for goverments and minorities because they work most effectively on the masses....dummies.
ROTFLMAO...let me know when my gun smoke starts bothering you.

Perth, Australia

#100514 Feb 20, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and Social Security? C'mon, Ahomana.:-)

A: Do they become a risk by civilian attack in the case of unrest and if so are they suring up their basic security in case of a threat?

I could understand Homeland Security. I hope they're making purchases for all federal law enforcement. Apparently not if Social Security had to buy their own. I'm not sure if the military used that much in Iraq.
A: Yes but are all government departments responsive to threats that might come from civilians if the government plans go ahead to implement tighter gun control laws...you know civilians getting ansy, and attacking all government departments so they are not risking any of their workers and taking maximum precautionary measures just in case...they are dealing with crazy gun loving Americans here....
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#100515 Feb 20, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
FUTILE!!
Unless they ban private ownership of water pistols they're still out-gunned. The Earth's surface is 70% water!!
BWWOOOAAAHHH!!
Yea, I'm stocking up on Super Soakers.:-)
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#100516 Feb 20, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I always wonder about Americans who believe that someone is one or should be a yank, and whether or not they have ever stepped accross the gangplank and made it out....you know, to see the other side of life. I appreciate all that America has to offer barring the gun thingy, but when someone like fish says that I might be a yank(curse the thought) my mind questions her ignorance....has she ever been to Aussieland, if she was she would never ask such a dumb question of any Australian would she? Unlike the other countries we are not champing at the bit to move for obvious reason, we are the luckiest people in the world because of our lifestyle and the place we live. Mind I should keep hush else every man and his dog would want to come here and that would not be and exciting prospect, but to want to come for a visit, I could deal with that.
Guppy made reference to America inventing Google. I believe Google Wave was developed in Australia. I could be wrong, maybe Google maps.
zadnji vezni

Europe

#100517 Feb 20, 2013
www.erepublik.com/en/referrer/zadnji+vezni

Come to eRepublik. You can use guns as much as you like and no one gets hurt. Great game, come and check it out!
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#100518 Feb 20, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
A: Yes but are all government departments responsive to threats that might come from civilians if the government plans go ahead to implement tighter gun control laws...you know civilians getting ansy, and attacking all government departments so they are not risking any of their workers and taking maximum precautionary measures just in case...they are dealing with crazy gun loving Americans here....
I would worry about rental trucks filled with fertilizer if that was their concern. I believe they are attempting to raise the price of ammunition by creating a high demand and, at the same time, keep the shop shelves bare.

Perth, Australia

#100519 Feb 20, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Guppy made reference to America inventing Google. I believe Google Wave was developed in Australia. I could be wrong, maybe Google maps.
Google is an American company that was started by two Americans who came up with the idea at Stanford. Though you are right that it was danish born Australians that invented Google Maps, their names are Lars and Jens Rasmussen and it was developed by an Australian team in Sydney, courtesy of Wikipedia and google....:)

Perth, Australia

#100520 Feb 20, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I would worry about rental trucks filled with fertilizer if that was their concern. I believe they are attempting to raise the price of ammunition by creating a high demand and, at the same time, keep the shop shelves bare.
We have some tough restrictions on particular fertilisers, how about you?
Surely high demand would just make the ammo manufactures produce more....to keep the prices down?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 1 hr piratefighting 26,958
Australian PM urged to go easy on refugees afte... 11 hr CACAtracker 17
Tonga's Nukuleka, the birth place of Polynesia (Jan '08) 14 hr tongangodz 1,968
Nothing Common about stunning slice of history 16 hr LMR 11
Family of student travelling to Australia when ... 22 hr Moo 1
Tim Harper: PM back on top in parliamentary sea... Thu no Wynne situation 1
Jewish leaders pan Australian lawmakers' attemp... Dec 17 The Awakener 44
More from around the web