It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 Full story: Truthdig 103,368

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Full Story

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

#95141 Jan 10, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
There are only 7500 raped at gunpoint cases per year. You should be safe. only 3 %
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv11.pdf
The statics are reassuring - except for those who have been.

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#95142 Jan 10, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you her significant other?
Pml. Hardly, unless she's my husband pretending to be an anonymous woman on a forum, whom I've never met in person. He could be doing that I suppose, as he is in Darwin, thanks for bringing it to my attention, I'll study her posts more closely for clues.
:)

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#95143 Jan 10, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a strong advocate for having guns. I'm a strong advocate for having the right to own guns. There's a difference. Whether you own one or not is a matter of personal choice. No one is forcing a gun on anybody.
I find in yankeeland avocating the right to own guns means semi's and autos...so you would be for?
Chinelean

Australia

#95145 Jan 10, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Pml. Hardly, unless she's my husband pretending to be an anonymous woman on a forum, whom I've never met in person. He could be doing that I suppose, as he is in Darwin, thanks for bringing it to my attention, I'll study her posts more closely for clues.
:)
I hear darwin is full of abo's, careful he doesnt get his wallet stolen up there

Perth, Australia

#95146 Jan 10, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it just me or has this thread gone downhill?
No all posts go through this and then get back on track...it does depend on the ammount of trolls..trolling though...
onewayoranother

Talala, OK

#95148 Jan 10, 2013
If there was no guns. there would be nut cases with a can of gas or a bomb that they learned to build off the internet. face it we have armed police to protect us. maybe we need to place them in places they need to be instead of driving around in the aircondition cars burning gas.
ManWithNoBum

Perth, Australia

#95149 Jan 10, 2013
Chinelean wrote:
<quoted text>I hear darwin is full of abo's, careful he doesnt get his wallet stolen up there
Hey brudda got a smoke mate
Spare money for a cask bro
Dr Freud

UK

#95150 Jan 10, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't answer my questions.
Why should anyone else reply to your inquiries, when you have the nasty habit of playing stupid games with everyone else's question put to you?
HYPOCRITE MUCH?
Dr Freud

UK

#95151 Jan 10, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny you should mention that, those hospitals also treat 16,000 gunshot wounds per year (thatís not counting the fatal ones) at a cost of $1,700 per injury to the American taxpayer!!!
Why not address the BILLIONS of dollars paid out from medicare and medicaid for HOSPITAL CAUSED MRSA infections each year?
Dr Freud

UK

#95152 Jan 10, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a strong advocate for having guns. I'm a strong advocate for having the right to own guns. There's a difference. Whether you own one or not is a matter of personal choice. No one is forcing a gun on anybody.
But have you noticed how SHE is more than willing to employ FORCE against you, to TAKE your guns?
Dr Freud

UK

#95153 Jan 10, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
No all posts go through this and then get back on track...it does depend on the ammount of trolls..trolling though...
"it does depend on the ammount of trolls..trolling though..."

Such as yourself, for instance?
Cana

Burnaby, Canada

#95156 Jan 10, 2013
The only good thing about these monthly horror stories is that the US will start to look more inward for the answer...e.g.

Please don't do that.
Dr Freud

UK

#95157 Jan 10, 2013
onewayoranother wrote:
If there was no guns. there would be nut cases with a can of gas or a bomb that they learned to build off the internet. face it we have armed police to protect us. maybe we need to place them in places they need to be instead of driving around in the aircondition cars burning gas.
There are only so many cops, and they can't be everywhere at once.
No sooner would you place them at one location, than a violent crime would be undertaken at a more distant location.
The answer, if there is to be one, is for the citizen to armed sufficient to address matters directly. In such a situation, the likelihood of violence is markedly less than in those locations were firearms are severely restricted, or completely outlawed.
A simple comparison of U.S. cities is sufficient to reveal the truth of the matter: The cities with the most violence are the ones which severely restrict the possession of arms.
Dr Freud

UK

#95158 Jan 10, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I find in yankeeland avocating the right to own guns means semi's and autos...so you would be for?
Everything the U.S. military has.

Perth, Australia

#95159 Jan 10, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
"it does depend on the ammount of trolls..trolling though..."
Such as yourself, for instance?
Oh that's a joke right...you made a funny cause I have lost count of the countries you are bouncing off....I am a Perthite and proud of it....I don't need to reduce myself to Fraud troll level I have enough intellligence to keep a thread going without the sexism, racism, fatism, fakeism....too bad for you eh!

Perth, Australia

#95160 Jan 10, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
So we wait for the next school massacre then!

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#95161 Jan 10, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
you are qualified to drive an abrams battle tank ?
GoGoBar

Thailand

#95162 Jan 10, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
But Heller forbids it. Heller has set the precedent.
All that now has to be determined is what exactly the most readily available arms are available to the people. And which are military models.
Easily checked.
Scalia mentioned this in an interview.
Dr Freud

UK

#95163 Jan 10, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
So we wait for the next school massacre then!
So you may once again dance in the blood of the innocent, slathering their blood all over your body in an obscene orgy of demonic delight.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#95164 Jan 10, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
If you mean by auto, a machine gun, I believe there are about 240,000 federally registered and licensed owners. About half of that are private citizens. I'm pretty sure they have to be manufactured before 1986. Since 1934 there have been only two homicides with a legally owned machine gun. Both were committed by policemen. I'm a little torn with that one. When muskets were around, the civilians had better arms than the military when you consider the Kentucky long rifle.

The courts have found semi autos to be not unusual and therefor the right to own one is protected. There are semi auto hunting rifles.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 14 min Dana Robertson 27,005
First Naked Bus Sleeper Arrives in Wellington 32 min Beastly 1
Tonga's Nukuleka, the birth place of Polynesia (Jan '08) 5 hr First Fijian 1,969
Australian PM urged to go easy on refugees afte... Fri CACAtracker 17
Nothing Common about stunning slice of history Fri LMR 11
Family of student travelling to Australia when ... Fri Moo 1
Tim Harper: PM back on top in parliamentary sea... Thu no Wynne situation 1
More from around the web