It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 Full story: Truthdig 103,368

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Full Story
GoGoBar

Thailand

#94227 Jan 6, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> You would still be a loser. To blame your sorry excuse for a life on my gun is dodging the issue. Opps is that a bus I hear coming? Better hurry.
"Pudding heads should not grant premises."

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#94228 Jan 6, 2013
i can beat out the anthem with my flip flops :-)
yankee doodle

United States

#94229 Jan 6, 2013
tinydropthestickgooddog wrote:
<quoted text>
gosh all these gunsuckers are such heroes - saving america from the dark forces of evil conspiracies - protecting all our freedoms for us - keeping the criminals and mass murderers at bay - good grief disband the army - who needs them - get rid of the evil gun happy police - think of the money we'd save - ha ha ha
Ummm what's with this "we" and "us" shit, you roo shagging cocksucker? We all known you aren't an American now go toss another shrimp on the barbie, mate.

But you want an honest reply, we should disband the armies, or at least a majority of them and slash the military budget while were at it. When you start looking at cutting things like social security and medicare just to fund a couple of wars against camel jockeys ...something is wrong with that picture.
its fun to stay

United States

#94230 Jan 6, 2013
i can beat out the anthem with my flip flops :-)
Your anthem is YMCA :-)
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#94231 Jan 6, 2013
Obama plans broad gun-control.

Won't be long.
Dr Freud

Netherlands

#94232 Jan 6, 2013
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
Left "up to the owner" is precisely WHY we have to have rules and regulations.
Shall I guess that you could never, ever, live you life without some kind of 'official' rule or regulation dictating to you how your life will be?
Gottaliv wrote:
Many owners are irresponsible - uncaring - brain-dead - half blind and deaf - incapable of owning or driving a car responsibly - sociopathic lunatics.
What proof have you of your assertions? You broad-brush a whole swath of your population, likely without knowing any of them at all.
Isn't that not unlike referring to all Asians as 'thieves?'
Gottaliv wrote:
In Australia, if you initially obtain your licence for driving an automatic car, you are NOT allowed to drive a manual or you will be fined if caught... a separate licence is required for a manual.
But if you initially obtain a licence for a manual, you are allowed to drive an automatic car.
Ah! So because you're forced to obtain a certification attesting to your ability to operate a vehicle on PUBLIC thoroughfares, themselves which are controlled by said state, and for which the state assumes liability for the safe operation of vehicular traffic thereupon, then you automatically presume that such a limitation must of necessity also apply to the exercise of an individual right?
How about a license to use the Internet, and for the purposes of free speech?
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#94233 Jan 6, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
YET ANOTHER run-on sentence!
The gist of which is: YOU want a POLICE STATE, where the citizen becomes a SLAVE, a SERF, i.e. PROPERTY OF THE STATE, possessing of ZERO ability to FIGHT BACK against OPPRESSION.
Hell, why not move to China, or North Korea? You'd be far happier there!
<quoted text>
WHEN óNAME THE TIME, DATE, AND PLACEó has registration been used to solve a violent crime? Do BE sure to provide researchable references!
<quoted text>
YOUR OWN WORDS ^ABOVE^ betray you!
<quoted text>
Prior to YOUR 1968 GCA, there WAS 'unfettered' access to ALL kinds of guns in the U.S.
GUESS WHAT THE VIOLENT CRIME RATE was back then?
BIG HINT: FAR LOWER THAN PRESENT.
And just think: Back then, even ex-felons and 'crazy people' could get their guns from anyone, anyplace, at any time, including through the U.S. Mail, and from foreign sources, without so much as a batt o' the eyelash!
So, if anyone here is "deliberately obfuscating the issue," it is YOURSELF, my dear.
YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW YOUR OWN HISTORY, and yet there YOU are attempting to tell me that I'm 'obfuscating?'
"You want a police state, where the citizen becomes a slave, a serf, i.e. property of the state, possessing of zero ability to fight back against oppression."
You honestly think that would happen? Do you mix the vodka with something, or straight out of the bottle?
Dr Freud

Netherlands

#94234 Jan 6, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, at the moment there is no law which requires motorists to empty the petrol from their vehicle before leaving it unattended.
I am interested in the gun situation in America because I happened to see this thread, I believe I have every right to post comments here - and I am not 'poking at the Americans'- I'm asking questions, there is a difference. I have not been ill-mannered, which is more than can be said for some.
"I have not been ill-mannered, which is more than can be said for some."

Your INTENTIONALLY EVASIVE maneuvers to avoid direct replies to questions put to you, warrants derision on the part of others.
You say you have interests, well, what Americans have attacked the Australians without provocation?
How many Americans (or others for that matter) have lambasted the Australians for their gun laws?
Dr Freud

Netherlands

#94236 Jan 6, 2013
Guppy wrote:
Won't be long.
And when it doesn't happen, what will you do, cry into your toilet bowl?
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#94238 Jan 6, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dec 28,2012
A new poll conducted after the mass shooting that killed 20 children and seven adults in Newtown, Conn., found that a majority of Americans have a favorable view of the National Rifle Association.
In a Gallup survey of 1,038 randomly selected adults, 54 percent said they have a "very favorable" or "mostly favorable" opinion of the powerful gun lobby. 38% had an unfavorable view.
Busted!!
That was a small survey. Probably all Republicans.

No one with half a brain would be in favor of the NRA.

Oh wait. Most of the people on here are.

Wait. "A majority of Americans have a favorable view of the NRA." I DON"T BELIEVE THAT, AND NEITHER DO YOU.

United States

#94239 Jan 6, 2013
Guppy wrote:
Won't be long.
He'll have to get it through a Republican controlled House first. Obama is just a photo-op president, he's a useless as titties on a male.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#94240 Jan 6, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
And when it doesn't happen, what will you do, cry into your toilet bowl?
Sounds like you have personal experience with that one.

It's OK, let it out. Poor guy. Always running to the bathroom to cry. Sad.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#94241 Jan 6, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
He'll have to get it through a Republican controlled House first. Obama is just a photo-op president, he's a useless as titties on a male.
IF the Republicans are smart?, they will cooperate.

You have to give the guy credit for trying to do the right thing. I do.

Didn't know he flew BACK to Hawaii. Gee, that's expensive.
Dr Freud

Netherlands

#94242 Jan 6, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a small survey. Probably all Republicans.
No one with half a brain would be in favor of the NRA.
Oh wait. Most of the people on here are.
Wait. "A majority of Americans have a favorable view of the NRA." I DON"T BELIEVE THAT, AND NEITHER DO YOU.
You're in constant denial.
Dr Freud

Netherlands

#94243 Jan 6, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you have personal experience with that one.
It's OK, let it out. Poor guy. Always running to the bathroom to cry. Sad.
That would be YOURSELF!
Since you're perpetually tossing shit at others, then it has to be yourself who's always hovering over the porcelain throne.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#94244 Jan 6, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Possibly it can be fixed.
One way might be what Doc & I were discussing earlier in this thread, give the real power back to the people, though I doubt that will gain any traction as the politicians would soon end anything like that if it got going.
Another way is to simply make them accountable by law.
If they were accountable things would be a lot different.
That would mean they couldn't say one thing and do another like they do now.
They couldn't go back on promises they've used to shore up votes to win elections.
If something changes & there's the need to go back on a promise, then it gets put to the people, if the people say no, it's no, if the people agree the change is better for the country & vote yes, then it's changed.
If they make a stupid decision that wastes a lot of money against the wishes of the people, then they or their party pays for the screwups, not the taxpayers.
If they were held by law to conditions like that the people might have a better chance of legislation being passed that's in the Australian people's interest, not the party or politicians or overseas interests.
Or the 3rd way which is probably the only one that will work, hang one a week until the rest of them sit up & take notice & start doing their damn jobs.
I see. Is any of that a possibility? If so, how?
Ha! It only would take ONE hanging to see a change. Nice thought, though.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#94245 Jan 6, 2013
<quoted text>
yes a highly trained uniformed servant of the people sworn to uphold justice a police officer - not a rabid gunslinging redneck like you .
Rabid....no
Gunslinging.....no, it mares the finish
redneck.......close

Highly trained VETERAN.......absofuckinlutely !

Southeast Virginia

#94246 Jan 6, 2013
Guppy wrote:
Several gun shows, all about an hour's drive from Newtown, Conn., have been cancelled.
How about if we cancel ALL of them?
Have you ever even been to a gun show???

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

Since: Jun 12

And the shadows they burn dark

#94247 Jan 6, 2013
guest wrote:
Its actually partly Australias fault that the US can't pass stricter gun controls. You went way to far and law abiding citizens can't even defend themselves anymore. You used a sledgehammer to swat a fly.
The US see that and the fact that even without a mass killing in 16 years you have looney toon nutjobs demanding even stricter gun control. "Give them an inch and they'll take a mile"
Given a choice between a few shootings a year and having Aussie gun laws...most americans would rather have a few shootings and still have the right to defend themselves.
So you Aussies keep saying "look what we did" all you want but its hurting the gun control side in the US, not helping at all. Nice work fruit loops.
Our culture, while similar to yours, is a little different.
I've lived in cities & in the country & nowhere have I felt the need to have a gun to defend myself.
Most Australians feel the same way, though our idiot government is doing it's best to change that nowdays by importing all sorts of scum who do nothing but cause trouble wherever they go.
A recent study said that some teenagers are now arming themselves as they don't feel safe when going out anymore, pretty sad really, it never used to be like that.

As for the 'you' & 'we' bit, it was not the 'you' & 'we' that used a sledge hammer to swat a fly.
The people of this country had no say in that matter whatsoever.
It was a knee-jerk reaction by a d*ckhead Prime Minister who forced the state governments to introduce the tough legislation.
Even though some state governments were against this legislation it made no difference, they were ignored, as was anyone else who put up an opinion or arguement against it.

Yes, we certainly have looney toon nutjobs here still pushing for tighter gun control.
Do you want them?
If you do, come and get them, we'll give them to you for free :)
What those morons pushing for tighter control fail to understand is it's not law abiding people with guns that are the problem, and if they do understand it they ignore it.
Those idiots say they won't be happy until all guns are removed from everyone, but what they're really saying is "we won't be happy until the criminals are the only ones with guns".

Southeast Virginia

#94248 Jan 6, 2013
<quoted text>
ha ha - spoiling for a shootout bang bang bang
Not spoiling for one. But not backing down from one either. Like I said, let's hope the fed are dumb enough to make that mistake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Comedian faces resentencing on sex charge (Apr '12) 27 min michael 75
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 2 hr piratefighting 27,143
Where is Santa right now? 2012 NORAD Santa trac... (Dec '12) 4 hr Doris McMorris 8
For Australian Christmas, Everything's Overturn... 8 hr The ADELAIDEAN 2
Police warn of online child sex 'grooming' 13 hr Dutch expat 1
Culture clash as AFP goes to PNG (Nov '13) 17 hr pasti 3
Fight to save small Australian towns divides re... Tue Dutch expat 4
More from around the web