It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Comments
85,781 - 85,800 of 103,228 Comments Last updated Jun 22, 2014

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Andrew Jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't elaborate because they couldn't even imagine such a stupid thing. Their whole lives depended on firearms. Why would anyone other than a tyrannical government want to ban them? The thought of telling a man he couldn't hunt or defend himself in 1776?
Well I am sure there are those that didn't own or use a gun even back then, none the less you hit the nail on the head when you state the date in which this was necessary the 1700s....it has been over four hundred years and people have evolved...you don't need a weapon to hunt for food....it's called a super market or farmers market....you don't need a gun to defend yourself....you take proper precautions not to put yourself in harms way and if threatened then pick up the phone(something they didn't have back then).....and if the cops take too long to respond change your bleeding attitude to effect a faster response....like removing the major threat of death by being shot at while responding?
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
As I understand it, they're coming from California, and the New England area.
That explains it. There goes the neighborhood.
Dr Freud

Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Shall not be infringed.
Suck that one you tossers.
Imagine if we took the gun grabber idiots back in time.
A: imagine if there were NO guns back there?
The founding fathers would beat the shit out them when they heard how these illiterate twits are trying to twist and turn to get around the 2nd amendment.
A: I would think the founding fathers would believe in a persons right to fight for the pursuit of their happiness any way they deem fit even without a gun in their hands and shall not be infringed upon....and they would undoubtably believe in their inaliable right to equality to effect that cause?
Funny thing: The more you try to argue your point, the more it becomes painfully obvious that neither do you have a clue about what you're going on about, nor do you have faintest idea about the subject itself.
But keep on yaking, for it provides comic relief!

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Andrew Jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
Shall not be infringed, bitch. To only find safety in controlling and dictating the lives of those around you is very sad indeed.
You might not feel a need, perhaps you're like Empathica living in hick town, usa population 12 and life is just peachy. So give up your gun if you want.
But don't take the gun away from the nurse who works nights shift in Memphis. Tn hospital and has to go through a parking garage where her own friend was raped and killed.
That nurse SHOULD have been able to walk through the parking garage without being raped and killed, ever thought of making it safer for her to do that by making men more responsible for their attitude towards women in the first place, seeing they predominantly are the perpetrators of such violent and horrific crime mostly against women..... educate them better and remove the threat, treat every crime against women for what it is, an abuse of her or his individual liberty and should incur the same hefty penalty as kidnapping!
Andrew Jackson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
A: imagine if there were NO guns back there?
Please, the world before guns was a violent place. Not a place most people would visit.
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
A: I would think the founding fathers would believe in a persons right to fight for the pursuit of their happiness any way they deem fit even without a gun in their hands and shall not be infringed upon....and they would undoubtably believe in their inaliable right to equality to effect that cause?
So how about this, I won't infringe on your right not to own a gun, and you don't infringe on my right to own one? Deal?

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny thing: The more you try to argue your point, the more it becomes painfully obvious that neither do you have a clue about what you're going on about, nor do you have faintest idea about the subject itself.
But keep on yaking, for it provides comic relief!
Well I shall take every word you say on board as you are the foremost authority on everything on this site....no on second thoughts you have prove to be a liar and a welcher so nope, don't think I will.
Andrew Jackson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I am sure there are those that didn't own or use a gun even back then, none the less you hit the nail on the head when you state the date in which this was necessary the 1700s....it has been over four hundred years and people have evolved...you don't need a weapon to hunt for food....it's called a super market or farmers market....you don't need a gun to defend yourself....you take proper precautions not to put yourself in harms way and if threatened then pick up the phone(something they didn't have back then).....and if the cops take too long to respond change your bleeding attitude to effect a faster response....like removing the major threat of death by being shot at while responding?
1776 was over 400 years ago? Hmmm you're not very good at math, are you?

And the police don't take too long because they are afraid, you nitwit. Again you show stupidity. From my house, the nearest law enforcement are a half hour drive away.

Those in the large cities, well there just aren't enough police to go around given the huge population we have. They are overwhelmed. When you call the police its like waiting in line for your turn. Different crimes have different priorities, so you wait even longer.

A man with a gun will get a fast response. A woman being raped, not so big a priority. An intruder in your home, even less priority, wait your turn and hope they don't kill you. The police are too few and too busy elsewhere.

T
Andrew Jackson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
That nurse SHOULD have been able to walk through the parking garage without being raped and killed, ever thought of making it safer for her to do that by making men more responsible for their attitude towards women in the first place, seeing they predominantly are the perpetrators of such violent and horrific crime mostly against women..... educate them better and remove the threat, treat every crime against women for what it is, an abuse of her or his individual liberty and should incur the same hefty penalty as kidnapping!
Yes, well is that happening in the UK and Oz where women were disarmed? No. The government doesn't even care as long as there isn't a school shooting. Rape? Assault? No big deal as long as guns weren't involved.

You don't even care if all your crime goes up just as long as you can say "we don't have gun crime"

So my wife will keep her pistol, thank you very much. You would disarm her but you won't protect her. Shame shame.

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Andrew Jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
Please, the world before guns was a violent place. Not a place most people would visit.

A: No different from today then...seems you're slow learners.
<quoted text>
So how about this, I won't infringe on your right not to own a gun, and you don't infringe on my right to own one? Deal?
A: Did you fail to understand the context in the last post in responding to the you saying you reckon the founding fathers would beat up gun grabbers...keep things in context and don't get sidetracked...it helps the ebb and flow....

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, yada yada! blah blah! gung ho! And when you are losing the battle will you then turn the gun on your kids and hopefully yourself....Who's a big bwave boy then??? Grab a brain you backwood uneducated hick!
FREAK...We have the law on our side, Christianity and GOD. PRCACISE the gun!
Dr Freud

Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I shall take every word you say on board as you are the foremost authority on everything on this site....no on second thoughts you have prove to be a liar and a welcher so nope, don't think I will.
Attributing to others, your own failings, is the mark of someone who's in denial.
Your choice, hen.

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Andrew Jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't carry. Just a one handed pocket knife for me if anything. But my wife works nights in the city and she does have a concealed carry permit.
British, Swiss, American, German and Japanese rifles from WW1-WW2 are my thing actually. I also like muzzle loaders and the old western ball and cap revolvers. Hardly the material desired for a shooting spree, mostly just a collector of older firearms.
Some guns I own are family heirlooms going back as far as my great-grandfather- another reason i'd not hand them over to you or anyone else. Some were my father's. You won't get them.
But just because I don't carry doesn't mean I don't support the right of others who mayfeel that need. They have my support 100%. One day I might feel that need myself.
So, your wife has a carry permit because of her Fear?

What a nice place the USA is, where people live in fear.

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Andrew Jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, well is that happening in the UK and Oz where women were disarmed? No. The government doesn't even care as long as there isn't a school shooting. Rape? Assault? No big deal as long as guns weren't involved.
You don't even care if all your crime goes up just as long as you can say "we don't have gun crime"
So my wife will keep her pistol, thank you very much. You would disarm her but you won't protect her. Shame shame.
The problem as I see it is the male mentality, give a person a gun doesn't control or solve the problem most countries have with rape....India are doing it right.....men and women are gathering en masse to protest the treatment of women at the hands of men.....this should be the response of a decent community showing there outrage at such and ongoing abuses of women everywhere....Men and governments the world over treat this abuse as one not as serious as armed robbery or coporate crime yet it is a total violation of a females freedom at the hands of a male.....Governments and societies should be outraged anytime there is a rape and should act to denegrate the act and perpetrators openly and en masse to bring about change to the status of women in all societies. Males of female children should lead the charge if they seriously hate the crime committed against women....but most don't, why is that?

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Andrew Jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
No, stupid girl, they didn't elaborate because they never would have believed there would be stupid, lying worms like you that would deny a man the right to use a firearm to hunt or to protect his family.
Shall not be infringed - this means for any reason.
shall not be infringed if you are a part of a well regulated militia - but you colonel comma are not in any militia -right lol

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Makesure100 wrote:
<quoted text>
there is no god and we will take your guns and put you all in fema camps - ha ha ha cough cough splutter

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Andrew Jackson wrote:
Shall not be infringed.
Shall not be infringed.
Shall not be infringed.
Noticeit doesn't say that the "right to bear arms shall not be infringed- except for when the puzzies start crying like little b*tches and then the right can be infringed."
Nope, the second amendment doesn't mention you pansies at all.
oh.. so to enable freaks to call 911, have the volunteer fire brigade arrive and to mow then down like dogs...

your argument is responsible for this.

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Makesure100 wrote:
<quoted text>
Stick that law as far up your clacker as it can go and see if it gives you half as much greif as those parents mourning the death of their children at the want for you balless nutters to flood the street with weapons that makes their loss a reality for some and a shallow fight to retain weapons for others.
Andrew Jackson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
So how about this, I won't infringe on your right not to own a gun, and you don't infringe on my right to own one? Deal
A: Did you fail to understand the context in the last post in responding to the you saying you reckon the founding fathers would beat up gun grabbers...keep things in context and don't get sidetracked...it helps the ebb and flow....
You fail to understand. Don't own a gun, that's your right and I won't infringe. But to grab my gun is infringing on my rights and the founding fathers would not have taken that without a fight.

See you gun grabbers aren't the same as non-gun owners. A non-gun owners just doesn't own a gun, no big deal if that's his choice.

But the gun grabbing weasels are are different animal. They don't just want the right to not be armed for themselves, but they want to take that right away from others who do want the right.

Not the same thing as just not wanting to own a gun.
GoGoBar

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Andrew Jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
But your guns havent helped USA with raping.
Have a look at your SexyAssalt Rate percapita compared to Australia.
You have same same.
For Violent Crime you have 2 times more.
The guns make it more violent.
7500 women raped at gunpoint. Vely bad.

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
A: No different from today then...seems you're slow learners.
<quoted text>
You do know...

You're trying to communicate with someone who's still hiding behind a bush, waiting for the world to end while contemplating the "correct" side of a pancake.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••