Climate change and global cities

Oct 8, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The New Zealand Herald

Element takes a look at what authorities in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch are expecting, how they are trying to minimise the damage, and how their plans shape up against those elsewhere.

Comments
141 - 160 of 266 Comments Last updated Dec 6, 2013
Carl

Wellington, New Zealand

#148 Nov 30, 2013
To address global warming takes a greater initiative than household recycling - that's a pittance gesture. For an effective solution to be put into place there needs to be some political initiatives at the top who force businesses to adopt clean green practices. New Zealand has this clean green image worldwide, but it is a lie, you just need to see the number of plastic bags flying out to sea on a windy day to realise that...I can't see our movie star prime minister - John Key - having the balls to promote effective strategies to halt/slow global warming...he's only going to be in for a short time longer anyway...it seems to be like this worldwide - the dollar rules...as a species, homo sapiens deserve everything they get, which will ultimately be...extinction...
and some of you posters reckon global warming is a lie...well, you didn't feel the two days we had here in New Zealand last weekend...the heat was almost unbearable - global warming is here now
lowprofile

Hove, Australia

#149 Nov 30, 2013
Carl wrote:
To address global warming takes a greater initiative than household recycling - that's a pittance gesture. For an effective solution to be put into place there needs to be some political initiatives at the top who force businesses to adopt clean green practices. New Zealand has this clean green image worldwide, but it is a lie, you just need to see the number of plastic bags flying out to sea on a windy day to realise that...I can't see our movie star prime minister - John Key - having the balls to promote effective strategies to halt/slow global warming...he's only going to be in for a short time longer anyway...it seems to be like this worldwide - the dollar rules...as a species, homo sapiens deserve everything they get, which will ultimately be...extinction...
and some of you posters reckon global warming is a lie...well, you didn't feel the two days we had here in New Zealand last weekend...the heat was almost unbearable - global warming is here now
I know you New Zealanders are behind a bit but you obviously haven't heard, now listen closely, there hasn't been any recorded rise in global temperature for the last 15 years. you've been scammed!

As far as your heat wave last weekend goes, it means nothing it's called 'the weather' we're having a prolonged cold spell here which also means nothing.

“Fair & Balanced”

Since: Jul 12

wherever there's a mine

#150 Dec 1, 2013
lowprofile wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you New Zealanders are behind a bit but you obviously haven't heard, now listen closely, there hasn't been any recorded rise in global temperature for the last 15 years. you've been scammed!
As far as your heat wave last weekend goes, it means nothing it's called 'the weather' we're having a prolonged cold spell here which also means nothing.
1000 new record low temps this year compared to only 17 record highs.

Most artic sea ice since 2003.
Most total global sea ice since 1986.

What Global warming?

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#151 Dec 1, 2013
chefboy812 wrote:
<quoted text>
What Global warming?
wow - instant moron lol

“Fair & Balanced”

wherever there's a mine

#152 Dec 1, 2013
tinydropthestickgooddog wrote:
<quoted text>
wow - instant moron lol
got your mirror fixed there Foo .... I mean tiny.

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#153 Dec 1, 2013
It rained yesterday -

what global warming

lol
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#154 Dec 1, 2013
chefboy812 wrote:
<quoted text>
What Global warming?
Analyzing noise, huh. The SCIENCE finds the signal (warming). The denial finds the noise peaks. Which do I trust? The guys who understand noise and signal (scientists). You have nothing but ignorance and superstition on your side.
beatlesinthebog

Hamilton, New Zealand

#155 Dec 1, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Yes.
So you medicate yourself with salt, weird.. What is it that ails you personally?
Stupidity mainly!..You??
ha-ha-ho-ho

East Orange, NJ

#156 Dec 1, 2013
once again these global warmers got the short end of the stick >>>>way back in 2008 they began sreaming that by 2012 most of the worlds coastal cities would be under water.guess what THEY BE NOT>>> LIES AND MORE LIES JUST LIKE THEIR QUEEN LEADER OBAMA-ITE. HA-HA-HO-HO
beatlesinthebog

Hamilton, New Zealand

#157 Dec 1, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Analyzing noise, huh. The SCIENCE finds the signal (warming). The denial finds the noise peaks. Which do I trust? The guys who understand noise and signal (scientists). You have nothing but ignorance and superstition on your side.
Wondering why those with tunnel vision on these matters need to be smugly abusive to those who don't automatically agree with their personal thesis?....as with religious freaks it usually means "You will listen to me when I spout my "truths"....even if I'm not really sure in myself" .....just a thought..

“Fair & Balanced”

wherever there's a mine

#158 Dec 1, 2013
tinydropthestickgooddog wrote:
It rained yesterday -
what global warming
lol
not up here .... bloody hot & dry for months
you may be onto something with this global warming claptrap.

“Fair & Balanced”

wherever there's a mine

#159 Dec 1, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe the 2 dozen UN scientists who signed the IPCC report or more than 200 UN scientist who didn't?

DO you believe Cuban scientist with a budget of $12mUSD on global warming or NASA & their $600m budget saying their isn't?

Do you believe the IPCC science report from 17 years ago where 90% of predictions were wrong & whom 2 months ago admitted fabricating much of their data to attain their conclusions?

DO you believe data in the IPCC report that says we have the highest C02 levels in history or the data in the same IPCC report that says CO2 levels aren't as high as 1850's?

Do you believe the head of the IPCC when he said there has been no global warming for 17 years or NASA who says their has been no global warming for 16 years?

IPCC have admitted fraud & yet retards still believe what they say.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#160 Dec 1, 2013
beatlesinthebog wrote:
<quoted text>Wondering why those with tunnel vision on these matters need to be smugly abusive to those who don't automatically agree with their personal thesis?
I have wondered this myself. You are in a perfect position to tell me. By the way, have you read the science at all or is your 'personal thesis' drawn from whole cloth?

The basic difference between us is that I don't have a 'personal thesis' but read and understand the relevant scientific literature. And I have noticed that those with a 'personal agenda' are usually motivated by money or political ideology and avoid talking about facts entirely. In fact, they seem to take facts as 'insulting' to their 'personal views' instead of what they are. Corrections of delusional claims by the ignorant.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#161 Dec 1, 2013
chefboy812 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe the 2 dozen UN scientists who signed the IPCC report or more than 200 UN scientist who didn't?
I believe the tens of thousands of papers and thousands of scientists that the IPCC draw their fact FROM. I do so because I have read the material and checked it against the data and the facts that I know from having two university degrees.

By contrast, there are only two or three climate denialists of any scientific credibility and those have yet to write any papers that are peer reviewed, accepted by a significant science journal and with no immediate rebuttal due to glaring errors.

And I accept the 'review' by the National Academy of Science, which approved of the IPCC WG1 (the scientific basis). National scientific academies are the basic source of 'authority' in science. THEY are the ones that say when a hypothesis is 'validated' and accepted as science. And only when THEY accepted the AGW thesis did it become science fact and thus teachable in schools.

That is the fact. The rest of your rant is bullshit.
Tim Flannery

Australia

#162 Dec 1, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the tens of thousands of papers and thousands of scientists that the IPCC draw their fact FROM. I do so because I have read the material and checked it against the data and the facts that I know from having two university degrees.
By contrast, there are only two or three climate denialists of any scientific credibility and those have yet to write any papers that are peer reviewed, accepted by a significant science journal and with no immediate rebuttal due to glaring errors.
And I accept the 'review' by the National Academy of Science, which approved of the IPCC WG1 (the scientific basis). National scientific academies are the basic source of 'authority' in science. THEY are the ones that say when a hypothesis is 'validated' and accepted as science. And only when THEY accepted the AGW thesis did it become science fact and thus teachable in schools.
That is the fact. The rest of your rant is bullshit.
You should reduce your carbon footprint and shut your mouth
milan

Australia

#163 Dec 1, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
I have wondered this myself. You are in a perfect position to tell me. By the way, have you read the science at all or is your 'personal thesis' drawn from whole cloth?
The basic difference between us is that I don't have a 'personal thesis' but read and understand the relevant scientific literature. And I have noticed that those with a 'personal agenda' are usually motivated by money or political ideology and avoid talking about facts entirely. In fact, they seem to take facts as 'insulting' to their 'personal views' instead of what they are. Corrections of delusional claims by the ignorant.
pardon if English bad.

science isn't black and white. No definitive yes or no. How do you agree 100% with what you read when science didn't agree 100% what is ritten? The people who rite global warming report now don't agree 100% with what they rite so what make you right and scepticals wrong? even you csiro does report saying yes warming no warming. so which is rigth? you read reports says how little carbon in atmosphere. less than methane. so why we not tackle global warming by tackle methane? methane trap more heat in earth. more methane go into atmosphere every year than carbon. no money to make animals stop pooing but lot of money be made to stop use coal and oil. lower carbon easy by planting millions trees. lower methane not easy.

persons who ignorant are persons who dont question theories and says yes there is errors.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#164 Dec 1, 2013
chefboyrd wrote:
What Global warming?
So.......7 days of cold records outweigh a year's records of hi temperatures, specially a year that toxic topix AGW deniers say is the start of an ice age......... NOT!

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/extremes/records/
Yearly hi temperature records outweigh cold temperature records, 4 to 1......oh, yeah, I said, specially a year that toxic topix AGW deniers say is the start of an ice age........ NOT!
lowprofile

Hove, Australia

#165 Dec 1, 2013
Tim Flannery wrote:
<quoted text>You should reduce your carbon footprint and shut your mouth
Why don't you get back to us when there has actually been some global warming!
Tim Flannery

Australia

#167 Dec 1, 2013
lowprofile wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you get back to us when there has actually been some global warming!
It might be a while because Im full of shit. Have the dams dried out yet?
lowprofile

Hove, Australia

#168 Dec 1, 2013
Tim Flannery wrote:
<quoted text>It might be a while because Im full of shit. Have the dams dried out yet?
Sorry 'Tim' I hit the reply button in the wrong post, I meant my reply to go to that ting dog stick moron.

And yes 'Tim Flannery', eveything the man has ever said has now been proven to be wrong, like you said dams drying out and the clincher "we may never see water in the murray darling system ever again, that's what happens when you have global warming" Well no, this is what happens when you listen to climate scientists LOL.

Have a good day!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 6 min tongangodz 11,763
Australia: MH370 may have turned south sooner 23 min Crush Em 2013 27
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 shot down over Uk... 4 hr Dimitri100 1,085
Australian PM to visit India, Malaysia 15 hr Goats milk Australia 1
Malaysia, Australia to share costs for latest p... 16 hr _malon_goblok 2
Kiwi occupation of German Samoa commemorated Thu inbred NZ 3
Australia: Perth of a nation Thu Relaxe murderer 10
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••