First solar-powered street lights on trial in Nuku'alofa CBD

Jan 29, 2013 Full story: Matangi Tonga

The first three solar powered street lights installed on Taufa'ahau Road are on a trial for three months to see whether they can help Tonga to reduce its cost of power and amount of fossil fuel for diesel generation.

Full Story
Wiiliam 51

Lakemba, Australia

#1 Jan 29, 2013
I hope the lights are a success, and result in a roll out across Tonga of this innovation.

It will be a good saving on costly diesel fuel and assist in the balance of payments in Tonga.
ulu poki

Orlando, FL

#2 Jan 29, 2013
Yeah I heard tonga about to get high speed internet this year along with an order of treadmills, enough for each family to have one..lol
Pila

Auckland, New Zealand

#3 Jan 30, 2013
Unfortunately guys, what ever profit may arise from this exercise, it will definitely walk straight to the pocket of our politician, particularly Samiu Vaifulu and the gang hahahahahaha.

We can only talk profit from any development in our neglected island, when all the politician and the rusty old selfish system be completely overhaul. We need new, honest and discipline politician and a system that will check all the authority line of responsibility. When good governance, accountability as well as modern mechanism in place to pick up any sign of corruption in the system, then we began to talk about profit.
inv

Australia

#4 Feb 1, 2013
I think its pretty cool and an eco friendly way of lighting up at night, just hope the next strong wind doesn't blow it away..to someones roof..lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 1 hr tongangodz 27,928
Maori turn Australian towns into 'little NZs' (Oct '12) 2 hr Liars 250
Australia Day 2015: Peter FitzSimons explains w... 2 hr truth 3
Australia Day 2015: Jason Steger picks his top ... 8 hr Goats milk Australia 1
Aussie of the Year nominees on a mission 22 hr LEGALISE STEROIDS 7
Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters' 22 hr LEGALISE STEROIDS 10
Who will fill the big shoes of Australian of th... 22 hr St_Nick 4
More from around the web