Magnitude 8 earthquake strikes Solomon Islands

Feb 6, 2013 Full story: New Scientist

A magnitude 8 earthquake has hit near the Solomon Islands in the Pacific Ocean, causing a tsunami that killed at least five people and may have destroyed a number of villages.

Full Story

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Feb 6, 2013
Saw that one on the NEIC website.

Also saw the foreshock series; the foreshock set was by & large the result of a segment boundary transform set quake in the N. part of the Santa Cruz zygomorph (megathrust on both sides). Santa Cruz zygo is the boundary of the Fiji plateau convergent with the australasian plate. The E Solomon arc is the boundary of the Pacific convergent with Australasia.

Result of slip of the N part of Santa cruz (N. of lata) was increased pressure on the forearc of the E. part of the E.solomon arc. The result was a compression event in the mid forearc in the E. part of the E. solomon arc.

The relatively low amplitude pop up gave a relatively small tsunami.

Currently I am not sure whether the E. solomon arc is a zygomorph (megathrust on both sides) or whether it is a backarc basin. The 6 recently discovered volcanoes suggest the latter rather than the former.

The aftershock sequence is nice & noisy.

Will keep watching that space.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 13 min Dana Robertson 26,973
Australian PM urged to go easy on refugees afte... 21 hr CACAtracker 17
Tonga's Nukuleka, the birth place of Polynesia (Jan '08) Fri tongangodz 1,968
Nothing Common about stunning slice of history Fri LMR 11
Family of student travelling to Australia when ... Fri Moo 1
Tim Harper: PM back on top in parliamentary sea... Thu no Wynne situation 1
Jewish leaders pan Australian lawmakers' attemp... Dec 17 The Awakener 44
More from around the web