Australian woman dies from drug resistant TB

May 17, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Asopa People

A TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER WOMAN has died from an apparent drug resistant strain of tuberculosis, becoming the first Australian in several years to succumb to the disease.

Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated May 17, 2013
true blue

Australia

#1 May 17, 2013
I am sure in the future these diseases will again rear their heads here.. How well are people from 3rd world countries screened for these diseases before they are let out into the community.. It seems if they are let out of detention before their security screens are finished, it is likely the same applies to health checks, in the Government's zeal to save a few bucks, they put the rest of us at risk... How well are aboriginal communities screened for these once near extinct diseases...In the late 1800's early 1900's this disease killed millions, are we going back to that era..???
Becky

Hangzhou, China

#2 May 17, 2013
true blue wrote:
I am sure in the future these diseases will again rear their heads here.. How well are people from 3rd world countries screened for these diseases before they are let out into the community.. It seems if they are let out of detention before their security screens are finished, it is likely the same applies to health checks, in the Government's zeal to save a few bucks, they put the rest of us at risk... How well are aboriginal communities screened for these once near extinct diseases...In the late 1800's early 1900's this disease killed millions, are we going back to that era..???
Despite the hundreds of millions we keep giving to PNG as a gift, they have no health services to speak of, and PNG people with TB are travelling the short distance to the outer Torres Strait islands and throwing themselves on our charity for treatment. This case was bound to happen, and there will be many more.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 24 min tongangodz 12,041
Ashburton shooting disturbing: Key 3 hr Beastly 2
Australia: MH370 may have turned south sooner 4 hr Chant 71
Manus Island detainees in sex video, PNG MP claims (Dec '13) 21 hr arimoxii 11
Kiwi occupation of German Samoa commemorated Sun Toomata 5
Lake Argyle in Western Australia's remote Kimbe... Sat born yesterday 1
Malaysia, Australia to share costs for latest p... Sat _malon_goblok 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••