Instant litter fines top $400

There are 7 comments on the Oct 5, 2012, Manawatu Evening Standard story titled Instant litter fines top $400. In it, Manawatu Evening Standard reports that:

Illegally dumping rotting food or nappies will see Aucklanders hit in the pocket with steep instant fines dished out by the council.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Manawatu Evening Standard.

Anonymous

Auckland, New Zealand

#1 Oct 5, 2012
Odd this fine business.
Most cleaver countries dont charge local residents to dump organic or green waste at their local tip yet Kiwi councils do.
Maybe by allowing local residents to dump organics at their local tip, illegal dumping will decline.
But oh noooo, the councils can legally rip the locals off but dont you dare dumb your rubbish because you cannot afford the tip fees
Isn't rotting feed just another form of fertilizer anyway ;-)

“Tino Rangatiratanga”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#2 Oct 5, 2012
$400.00 boo hoo.

Try a speeding ticket I-495 en route to the Lincoln tunnel to NYC.
beatlesinthebog

New Zealand

#3 Oct 6, 2012
yenoM wrote:
Odd this fine business.
Most cleaver countries dont charge local residents to dump organic or green waste at their local tip yet Kiwi councils do.
Maybe by allowing local residents to dump organics at their local tip, illegal dumping will decline.
But oh noooo, the councils can legally rip the locals off but dont you dare dumb your rubbish because you cannot afford the tip fees
Exactly! Yer gotta admire the cheek of the pricks to charge for green waste (albeit,at a cheaper rate) piss around with it for awhile until it turns into fertilizer....then sell it back to you. Christ....my head hurts trying to come up with scams like this....haha

“KFC has got nuffink on me”

Since: Aug 12

Apia, Samoa or w/e the KFC is

#4 Oct 6, 2012
beatlesinthebog wrote:
<quoted text>my head hurts trying to come up with scams like this....haha
Try being a part Maori, live on the dole spending your life trying to conjure up the next big scam...
doorsonpatrol

Pokeno, New Zealand

#5 Oct 6, 2012
Do local body politicians count as green waste, id gladly pay to dump them. Only problem is that after a few months all you have is a product which still nobody wants

Since: May 11

Hastings, New Zealand

#6 Oct 8, 2012
yenoM wrote:
Odd this fine business.
Yes the dump can indeed turn some of your household waste into fertilizer and your green waste into other useful products. That still should not condone Auckland citizens to dump their rubbish just anywhere.
It is OK because you are centered on the fact that it doesn't happen to you, but just wait when people are dumping their rubbish on your front lawn and in your neighborhood. You'll be on them like a hound.

I do not like the fact that people are too lazy to take their rubbish out 8 o'clock in the morning they let it pile in their back yard and THEN decide to dump it- This is for domestic use of waste.

Auckland has inorganics collection so people can annually put out rubbish that won't fit in the local bag- such as whiteware, wood and other large junk.

There are many other forms of waste management that is as an equal expense as the amount of waste you consume. There are recycling initiatives put in place as things like plastic bottles and newspaper tend to take up alot of space in your rubbish.

I am in support of this as a personal incident had happened in Maketu when a part of the beach was contaminated with the effluent from a single farmer and that incident would have cost the council more than $400 to clean.$400 would have been slightly lucky to pay for the travel fees from Tauranga to the middle of nowhere.

We cannot use the possibility of capitalization on waste to deter ourselves from the fact that there are people out there making this place more of an eyesore. Auckland city is a pretty disgusting, dirty city that gets as much maintenance as it can, so its not dependent upon socio economic divide (eg/. otara gets the blame for all of Auckland)

$40 increases the consequence which I think consequences should be increased in other areas of our law- such as a few years for murder? what is that?
beatlesinthebog

New Zealand

#8 Oct 8, 2012
doorsonpatrol wrote:
Do local body politicians count as green waste, id gladly pay to dump them. Only problem is that after a few months all you have is a product which still nobody wants
Apparently you need to remove any shit from the waste to get efficient fertilizer.....once you'd done that it would be a self-defeating process....see parliament for example. Oops,sorry that's wrong....the shit's still in there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Zealand Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NZ PM John Key apologises for hair pulling Apr 23 Paul Burns 1
News Russell Crowea s a The Water Divinera is the ac... Apr 22 SpaceBlues 1
God worships Israel!!!. Apr 22 Mr Beastly 2
News Design: Made in Scandinavia (Aug '14) Apr 21 AngelicaAngeli 118
News Bronze statue honours war artist Apr 20 Peter 2
Maori Crime Report Apr 20 Mr beastly 27
can someone explain why the maori are so hated (Jan '13) Apr 20 Mr Beastly 1,106
More from around the web