Posted in the New Zealand Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Moumou Tangata ki te Po”

Since: Oct 11

Earth

#1 Apr 10, 2013
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA1304/S00160/...

maori are more likely to be convicted of a crime than a pakeha...even tho the maori and the pakeha were charged with the same crimes.

a clear example of two laws in this country, one for pakeha ( get out of jail free), and one for the maori...( go straight to jail, do not pass go...)

also another clear example of TMG's white privilege,...

yup, the privilege of being let off because you are not a maori.....
Still Smokin

New Zealand

#2 Apr 10, 2013
Typical lefty dribble.
Maori are convicted for more crimes than any other New Zealander, be they European, Asian, Indian, ect for one reason. They do more crime, allot more. Statistic,s don't lie no matter what spin you try to put on it. A good move would be to make our prisons a lot tougher and culturally sterile. The kind of place you wouldn't,t want to go back to.

“Educating Utus”

Since: Aug 10

Papakura, New Zealand

#3 Apr 10, 2013
More Maoris are convicted of crime because they commit more crime.
Here's a thought, if you don't like it in the white man's prison don't ripp off the white man's cars and houses.

Since: Nov 08

Auckland

#4 Apr 10, 2013
Adam Rangiaho wrote:
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories /PA1304/S00160/greens-go-to-de voy-on-maori-youth-prosecution -rates.htm
maori are more likely to be convicted of a crime than a pakeha...even tho the maori and the pakeha were charged with the same crimes.
a clear example of two laws in this country, one for pakeha ( get out of jail free), and one for the maori...( go straight to jail, do not pass go...)
I listened to a girl somehow involved with the report being interviewed today, and she stopped well short of saying the findings were absolute. Of course there's also a need to scrutinise the research process, to ensure it wasn't conducted with a specific end goal in mind, before one could claim proof of the theory.

Regardless, allowing for this proposition, and even throwing in an allowance for supposed economic disparity, Maori are STILL over represented in crime stats.

By the way, Adam, there are plenty of non-Maori doing time, so your 'get out of jail free' is drawing a particularly long bow.

Meanwhile, putting the above to one side, must say I'm glad to see you wrote "TMG's white privilege". Yes, it belongs to TMG...and for his benefit I'll reiterate yet again that this fabled white privilege certainly doesn't belong to me, nor to anyone else I know for that matter.

“Tino Rangatiratanga”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#5 Apr 10, 2013
I can't take the credit for white privilege studies since it wasn't me who coined it or developed it. But Adam's post does highlight a discrimination problem in the NZ judicial system.

All else being equal, Maori are more likely to be arrested, more likely to be prosecuted, less likely to receive detention or diversion for first offences, and more likely to be jailed for the same type of crime.

Saying Maori commit "more crime" doesn't detract from the point being made.

Auckland

#6 Apr 10, 2013
That Maori Guy wrote:
Saying Maori commit "more crime" doesn't detract from the point being made.
More to the point, saying that there is a degree of discrimination in the judicial system doesn't detract from the fact that Maori commit more crime.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#7 Apr 10, 2013
Adam Rangiaho wrote:
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories /PA1304/S00160/greens-go-to-de voy-on-maori-youth-prosecution -rates.htm
Clearly white privilege.
pardon

New Zealand

#8 Apr 10, 2013
Adam Rangiaho wrote:

even though the maori and the pakeha were charged with the same crimes ??????doesn't make sense buddy.did they commit crimes together or what??????

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#9 Apr 10, 2013
pardon wrote:
<quoted text>
even though the maori and the pakeha were charged with the same crimes ??????doesn't make sense buddy.did they commit crimes together or what??????
It's pretty self-explanatory.
PCiM

Australia

#10 Apr 10, 2013
Oh gee.... more likely to be arrested? Perhaps because mario are more likely to commit crimes. I thought everybody knew that?

“Tino Rangatiratanga”

Location hidden

#11 Apr 11, 2013
pardon wrote:
<quoted text>
Not the same crime (i.e. specific instance), but the same crime type, all else being equal. This means that given the same set of circumstances for the same type of crime, if the perptetrator is Maori, he or she is more likely to be arrested, less likely to receive diversion (for first offence) more likely to be prosecuted and more likely to receive jail time compared to non-Maori.

Since: Jan 11

Auckland, New Zealand

#12 Apr 12, 2013
may as well cut to the chase. just costs the taxpayer more waiting for them to come back the second time.

“Tino Rangatiratanga”

Location hidden

#13 Apr 12, 2013
Harley Davidson number 1 wrote:
may as well cut to the chase. just costs the taxpayer more waiting for them to come back the second time.
I couldn't agree more. But why stop there? Let's cut to the chase and simply imprison white middle aged men in finance, since this demographic is more likely to be involved in serious fraud costing investors millions. Sure they may be fewer in number, but the social financial havoc they leave in their wake is decidely more troublesome.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/artic...

Auckland

#14 Apr 12, 2013
That Maori Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't agree more. But why stop there? Let's cut to the chase and simply imprison white middle aged men in finance, since this demographic is more likely to be involved in serious fraud costing investors millions. Sure they may be fewer in number, but the social financial havoc they leave in their wake is decidely more troublesome.
Maori rorts, and the increasing wealth of the Maori aristocracy is just as big a fraud as any white financial crime. And speaking of social havoc, the Maori rorts are just as destructive, dividing the nation in a way that 'fraud by whites' has no hope of matching.

Auckland, New Zealand

#15 Apr 12, 2013
That Maori Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
that was me being edgy and clever, but you missed it this time. The comment was actually about maori re-offending rates. Care to look them up 'that maori grizzler'?

Auckland, New Zealand

#16 Apr 12, 2013
Gutsfull wrote:
<quoted text>
And speaking of social havoc, the Maori rorts are just as destructive, dividing the nation in a way that 'fraud by whites' has no hope of matching.
I think you meant maori rorts are far more destructive?

That would be something I would agree on whole heartedly. They are acting in a way that is contary to the European New Zealanders world wide reputation of fairness. The current PC madness is not being embraced by white New Zealanders on the street. The backlash will come eventually.

Auckland, New Zealand

#17 Apr 12, 2013
Adam Rangiaho wrote:
If there is some leaning here I would imagine its more of a human nature kind of thing that a deliberate white racist conspiracy to land maori in jail.

just like the fuel thing...

I think we could sit here and discuss a lot of Maori priviledge also in the current PC climate. I just dont think its helpful to anyone. Your post starts of with the devoy link. Are you unhappy with her appointment? I am definetly not sure that she has anything useful to say. She will avoid all the tough questions put to her from either 'side'.

“Tino Rangatiratanga”

Location hidden

#18 Apr 12, 2013
Gutsfull wrote:
<quoted text>
Maori rorts, and the increasing wealth of the Maori aristocracy is just as big a fraud as any white financial crime. And speaking of social havoc, the Maori rorts are just as destructive, dividing the nation in a way that 'fraud by whites' has no hope of matching.
How is the “increasing wealth of the Maori aristocracy”(what “aristocracy” by the way?) the same thing as, say, the NZD$1.8B bailout of SCF which is the largest incident investigated by the SFO and the most serious case of its kind in NZ history? The NZ government hasn’t paid out anywhere near that much in cash in the 21 odd years since the first Treaty settlement under the Treaty Act. This is before we add up the cost of other bailouts like Equitable Mortgage Limited.

These two cases alone render your post laughable. You’re out of your mind.

“Tino Rangatiratanga”

Location hidden

#19 Apr 12, 2013
Harley Davidson number 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
that was me being edgy and clever, but you missed it this time. The comment was actually about maori re-offending rates. Care to look them up 'that maori grizzler'?
No – I know what you meant. But think of the money the NZ taxpayer would have saved if we applied the same rule of logic that you endorse in the case of SFC. Why wait for them to reoffend? Let's not be half-hearted about it.

Auckland

#20 Apr 12, 2013
That Maori Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
How is the “increasing wealth of the Maori aristocracy”(what “aristocracy” by the way?) the same thing as, say, the NZD$1.8B bailout of SCF which is the largest incident investigated by the SFO and the most serious case of its kind in NZ history? The NZ government hasn’t paid out anywhere near that much in cash in the 21 odd years since the first Treaty settlement under the Treaty Act. This is before we add up the cost of other bailouts like Equitable Mortgage Limited.
These two cases alone render your post laughable. You’re out of your mind.
What about the 1.5 billion cash spent EACH YEAR on Maori initiatives? And I notice you omit the land from settlements, by far the largest potion of the settlements value...

It's YOU who is putting forward 'laughable' postulations.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Zealand Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mowree mental health (Aug '14) Fri Yurika 2
Is James Sands a pedophile ? (Mar '14) Fri Yurika 8
Dr Fox has been a pure blessing for NZ (Apr '14) Fri Yurika 3
Poll Is Dr Paul Fox Jesus ? We love him so much Fri Yurika 1
Dr Paul Fox to be knighted (Aug '14) Fri Yurika 2
Dr Paul Fox is great (Aug '14) Fri Yurika 4
Beloved Dr Paul Fox should run for PM of New Ze... (Aug '14) Fri Yurika 5
More from around the web