The right to vote in NZ
Still Smoking

Auckland, New Zealand

#1 Feb 12, 2013
Has the time come to end the rights of non-contributors / beneficiaries of working age in NZ to vote? If you don't work and/or pay taxes..... Should you have a say in how our country is run? No representation without taxation. Would this stop our politicians pandering to a large group who quite frankly "have no skin in the game"? Could this allow forward thinking policy to be applied, rather than more handouts for the lazy and tax increases for the working?

“dont live in a dream world be ”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#2 Feb 12, 2013
Still Smoking wrote:
Has the time come to end the rights of non-contributors / beneficiaries of working age in NZ to vote? If you don't work and/or pay taxes..... Should you have a say in how our country is run? No representation without taxation. Would this stop our politicians pandering to a large group who quite frankly "have no skin in the game"? Could this allow forward thinking policy to be applied, rather than more handouts for the lazy and tax increases for the working?
beleave it or not but the dole bludger has to pay tax,the time has come to straighten out all the rippers, as in insurance fraud,and these big companys are guilty,then theres chch why build in a earthquake zone,its only going to fall down,this is on top of our crime rate
Aargh

Tauranga, New Zealand

#3 Feb 12, 2013
sick of them wrote:
<quoted text>

beleave it or not but the dole bludger has to pay tax
Dumbass. The dole bludgers money is from the tax myself and other working people have to pay. Therefore the tax that is taken out of their benefit is also from the same tax that is taken out of my taxed salary. They do not pay ax. In reality, myself and other working people are being taxed twice.
Still Smoking

Auckland, New Zealand

#4 Feb 12, 2013
Good point, but from what I have been told the non-contributors get a tax refund at the end of the year, so effectively pay no tax. Any how the taxation of welfare can't really be classed as a taxpayer because it was not earned.

“Tino Rangatiratanga”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#5 Feb 13, 2013
Still Smoking wrote:
I want to be there when you tell the good people of Summit that their redundancy means they've forfeited their democratic right.

When you get your face pummeled (and rightly so) I will laugh at you.
PCiM

Brisbane, Australia

#6 Feb 13, 2013
That Maori Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I want to be there when you tell the good people of Summit that their redundancy means they've forfeited their democratic right.
Part-marios, ever so quick to resort to violence.
Still Smoking

Auckland, New Zealand

#7 Feb 13, 2013
That Maori Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
A good point and I feel for people who have lost their jobs. I never thought it would catch out genuine working people. Maybe some kind of time frame is in order. However if you thought about it, before falling to your default position of violence, Summit may never have gone under if there were less taxes on their business because of high welfare dependency. Taxes are excessive in New Zealand and must be reduced to create jobs and business. Left wing politics are a failure and create nothing but higher taxes and prices to support them.

Since: Nov 08

Auckland

#8 Feb 13, 2013
Still Smoking wrote:
<quoted text>
Taxes are excessive in New Zealand and must be reduced to create jobs and business. Left wing politics are a failure and create nothing but higher taxes and prices to support them.
Which is precisely why we should fear a Labour/Greens coalition next election.
Still Smoking

Auckland, New Zealand

#9 Feb 13, 2013
Gutsfull wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is precisely why we should fear a Labour/Greens coalition next election.
Agreed, that is indeed a scary prospect, although the current govt doesn't seem to be able to come up with any other plan than raise fuel taxs and gst.

“Tino Rangatiratanga”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#10 Feb 16, 2013
Still Smoking wrote:
<quoted text>
A good point and I feel for people who have lost their jobs. I never thought it would catch out genuine working people. Maybe some kind of time frame is in order. However if you thought about it, before falling to your default position of violence, Summit may never have gone under if there were less taxes on their business because of high welfare dependency. Taxes are excessive in New Zealand and must be reduced to create jobs and business. Left wing politics are a failure and create nothing but higher taxes and prices to support them.
I’m not advocating indiscriminate violence, and I didn’t actually threaten you, so I have no idea what a “default position of violence” is supposed to mean. Although, I’d wager the previous poster to yours probably influenced your comments.

You are right when you say “I never thought it would catch out genuine working people” because you obviously didn’t bother to think your proposal through at any length. It’s nonsense.

If you believe that it is because of taxes that Summit has failed in NZ then you should pony up with some evidence to support your view.

I don’t know what rock you’ve been living under for the past 25 years, but the economic mantra since Reagan and Thatcher has been neoliberalism and globalization which has promoted the virtues of privatizing public assets, global access to cheap labor, free market access for cheap goods, and labor reform. In real terms – and this is the global trend – real wages have not risen much above what the average working person made back in the 1960s (in terms of purchasing power) and despite unprecedented increases in productivity, working people have for the first time in many generations not had an increased share of the fruits of that productivity.

These are not the products of left-wing policies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Zealand Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bid to ban smoking outside bars 'a step too far' 11 hr Sneaky Pete 10
James Sands We Found You! Fri Herr Beastly 14
God worships Israel!!!. Jul 28 dGo mnDaed lyHo i... 2
News Government to spend $330m on 41 new cycleways a... Jul 27 article 2
Poll Why do Maori women love black Aboriginal men? (Nov '13) Jul 26 larry 16
Anyone likes rollercoasters?? Jul 21 LadyBoi 3
News Man charged over shooting of Hell's Angels gang... (Mar '07) Jul 14 Real deal 4,168
More from around the web