Stamp to salute Hawaii statehood - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

The U.S. Postal Service will unveil the commemorative 50th anniversary statehood stamp next month at the Hawaii Statehood Conference.
Comments
41 - 54 of 54 Comments Last updated Aug 24, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
A Fish Out of H2O

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2009

Right on!!!!!!!!
Surfer

Thousand Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2009

One of America's more obvious mistakes. Half the population is on public assistance, a third can't speak English, and the rest are retired army corporals living out of the px and commissary. If Hawaii went up in Pale's smoke tomorrow, the rest of the country wouldn't know it until their stock in Hawaii Air went belly up. Statehood? Hahahahahahaha.

“Hawai'i loa kulike 'oukou.”

Since: Feb 09

London, Na mokupuni Beretannia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2009

Judged:

Ken Conklin wrote:
<quoted text>
HawHaw, answer this: Why did the ex-queen herself never mention that petition in her book, or in any of her annual diaries? Why did the newspapers, both English and Hawaiian language, never mention the petitions? Maybe you'll say Liliuokalani was part of the conspiracy to suppress them? You got some 'splainin' to do.
-For answers you might take a look at Eleinor Langer's article: "Famous are the flowers. Hawaiian resistance then and now" at: www.dmzhawaii.org/p=576 Hopefully there may be some 'splanin' results.
Edna Quinn

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2009

Iwill be on vacation here in Hawaii till 10 August turly would like to get some of Hawaii 50th Statehood Stamps before I leave for the main land, most of all to send my friends a card with stamp on it. is there a way I can buy the Statehood stamps before 21 August 2009.
my email edna1810@aol.com
LEGAL immigrant

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2009

Poi wrote:
I mean, we love the Emperor of Japan, the son of the one who attacked Hawaii and murdered thousands including men, women and children.
We just had a Japanese Tea ceremony in the Senate Chambers yesterday.
We have started the Legislative opening day with Taiko drums many times.
Our esteemed Governor George Ariyoshi apparently only hired Japanese as staff when he was governor.(all 43)
Statehood was decided by immigrants voting against Hawaiians for the most part and the biggest voting bloc were the Japanese.
So the stamp should be the a rising red circle sun coming up over Diamond Head.
Poi, you've hit it squarely on!! However, the "Hawaiians" will deny the truth of this.
Gary Terrell

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

I am so sorry that the Hawaiians lost their monarchy but their heritage will never be lost. I have a particular love of Hawaii because my family moved to Hawaii late in 1958. The scene on this anniversary stamp has a place in my memories forever as it was 1959 at 7 years of age that I talked my dad into renting me a long board at Waikiki. I had learned to swim at Waikiki when we lived briefly along the Alawai canal. The day my dad rented the board for me I got brave and decided to paddle out and catch a wave. On the very first attempt I caught a wave and got up! flying along I can see the beach and hear the wind and the surf when suddenly I heard someone call my name! I look over to my right and in the outrigger canoe, on the same wave are the two adult friends of my parents who were visiting us from the mainland. They had paid for the canoe ride and there were more people in the canoe than the two people depicted on the stamp but the scene was as if it had been taken from that very day and time! I called my sister who lives in Kaneohe and asked her if she could get me a canceled first day of issue along with some uncanceled stamps for my scrap book.
You got mail

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2009

Yay Stamps! Now everyone gets to lick it to the man!
Sasha

Hilo, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2009

Von wrote:
<quoted text>
Hawaiians came from China. Study your history. You get nothing so go back to sleep. No free ride for you.
The Hawaiian people gave away everything and now it kinds of late to ask for it back. No one took anything from them. Also back then there was no such thing as land titles so you lost on every count.
What are you doing in the mainland? You are staying on land that does not belong to you so give it back.
Von,
YOU are as ignorant as they come. The Hawaiians did not come from China, perhaps you did. The Hawaiians were stripped of their lands, their heritage, their land, their legacy.
YOU should study the history of British colonialism, American Imperialism cloaked under the guise of Religion, namely the purported effort to civilize the heathens in GOD's name.

Yes, wailing and crying out the abominations of sin, of the flesh, the evils of materialism and all that crap.
Wielding a Bible in one hand, whilst in the other, firearms and a fistful of money, the spoils of the white man's avarice.
No such thing as land titles? LOL! That is according to manipulative Western definition, utilized in order to keep on stealing and justifying past and continued illegal criminal acts. LOL!You are an idiot, who tries to justify the thievery of common crooks in taking the land.

From the mountain to the sea, from the seashore out beyond the horizon of the extent of island and Pacific transmigrations, those are the boundaries set by the ancestors of yore, WAAAAAAAAAAAY before your measley ancestors and kind ever dared to venture beyond the edge of the "flat world" that YOUR white man's world perceived. Whilst the various oceanic peoples, the great and original explores of the Pacific settled the Pacific oceanic frontier, you all had yet to emerge from your dark caves. LMAO! Where ever the white man has gone, he has brought disease, death and the death of cultures and civilizations. A malady to the human race you whole lot of and den of thieves. An ignoramus such as yourself should shut your trap, if you dont know jack shit about anything.

PS. I dont have to be Hawaiian to see the ills and injustice of the White Man's modus operandi of taking by force what is not his to begin with in the first place. Ask the Native Americans. Ask People of the Pacific Cultures. Ask the WORLD. lol
Dont be surprised if the WORLD bites back! LOL!
Enough

Waipahu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2009

Mergz wrote:
It should say something about "Celebrating 50 years of subordination to U.S. Imperialism"
'Ua Mau ke Ea o ka 'Aina i ka Pono
Consider yourself lucky. You could be bowing down to some preposterous looking king, or being exececuted for stepping in his shadow.
Really

Waipahu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2009

Sovereignity issue? All Hawaiians of today need to remember that all their ancestors meekly like sheep did not shed a single drop of blood to preserve the Hawaiian Kingdom.

20,000 signatures? Those 20,000 should have armed themselves and threw out all the "Haoles" from Hawaii.

That the ancestors of all of today's Hawiians were not willing to die for their beloved Kingdom should make them all ashamed.

Attempts by today's Hawiian's to correct the shameful lack of courage of their ancestors to defend their Kingdom will be for naught.

That the Haoles took over the Kingdom without a fight can not be undone.
alice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2009

Judged:

We are all proud of being American! We are ashamed of all 300 soveriegnty buffoons.
alice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2009

Judged:

Prince Kuhio petitioned for statehood in 19191 and 24 petitions followed. Where were the protestors then? Where were they when they voted fotr statehood in 1959? Ummmmm...you see we are dealing with phony stories to change history. The sovs. got caught int heir own false rhetoric.
Gabriel

Hilo, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2009

Liar Liar wrote:
<quoted text>
Aye, just like Monkey islands of Tonga, Samoas, and the cannibalistic Fiji. Also Easter Island. Supposed to suck, not eat each other.
Must be what your daddy has you doing to him from dawn to dusk, too much hanging on your daddy.That explains your monkeyazz protruding lips and physiogomy LMAO!
Hawaiian Kingdumb

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2009

To really capture the essence of this third world hole, the stamp should feature a famly of fatties in grease stained Ainokea shirts on an appliance and tire strewn beach, stuffing their maws with mac salad and Heineken, while dad(with a mullet, of course) stomps some white guy to death while his wife and kid look helplessly on. And don't forget the pit-bull, lifted truck and EBT card.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Marshall Islands Discussions

Search the Marshall Islands Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
UOG gets $630,015 from HHS Jul 16 Shyshy 2
Marshallese in Arkansas unhealthy, ineligible f... (Dec '07) Jul 11 Happy nd proud 267
Marshall Islands Music Forum (Nov '12) Jul 4 Musikologist 8
Second world war dead washed up by Pacific Ocea... Jun '14 SpaceBlues 1
Tiny Pacific nation sues 9 nuclear-armed powers Apr '14 FACT 1
Call +27780945031 Brand New Booty. Apr '14 dr jomoo 1
Damian Light Psychic Identity Theft Apr '14 Better than Lifelock Kris 1
•••
•••