Author Julian Aguon to hold book signing

Full story: Marianas Variety

Activist and author Julian Aguon will have a book reading and a book signing at the Venue in Agana today.
Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Jun 30, 2010
Susan Ohoiner

Waipahu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Julian, are you in Honolulu back?
I would like to email you or talk to you, I saw you on Olelo Feb 1,2008.
Very impressed with your background and efforts to bring out the truth about Guam.
I am currently living in Honolulu and very interested in the Pacific Islands altogether. I am from the South Pacific myself,from the Moluccas.
Hoping to hear from you back,
Sincerely,
Susan
leroy

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2008

Pasefikans,
come and attend the event (13May, from 12noon...)

Please join us for:

"Beaches, Reefs, and Currents: Contemporary Keywords for (Re)Searching Oceania," by Greg Dvorak, Visiting Research Fellow at the University of Tokyo and the Australian National University

Date: 13 May 2008, Tuesday
Time: 12:00-1:30 pm
Place: UHM Center for Korean Studies Auditorium

>
> In this public talk, Greg Dvorak contemplates research, teaching, and the future of Pacific Studies by reflecting upon some of the core elements of what it means to learn Oceania, and how to refresh our idea of research itself within this part of the world. In memory of the late Greg Dening's metaphor of the beach, he proposes a series of keywords that can help forge new pathways to navigate Pacific scholarship and "do" Pacific Studies in these turbulent waters of the 21st century. Drawing from his own research at Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands and sharing moving images and sounds collected during my multi-sited study, he will meditate on his model of coral as a model for the hybridity and sedimentation of knowledge, history, genealogy, community, and place, and show how this model relates to a more expansive way of studying and teaching about the Pacific. He also hopes to expand beyond American notions of Oceania in order to address the fluidity of this vast ocean and draw attention to how the Pacific Islands are deeply articulated not only with America and Europe but also Japan, China, and other so-called "non-Western" entities. In particular, he intends to contemplate the crucial role the Center for Pacific Islands Studies plays in Northern Oceania in relation to other parts of the Pacific Islands, and the rest of the "Rim."
>
> Bio
> Greg Dvorak was born in the United States but spent his early years on Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands, where his father worked in the missile testing program. After high school, he went to Japan, where he became fluent in Japanese. He completed his BA in 1996 at Rutgers University in East Asian Studies and then returned to Japan, where he worked for the next four years. On a fellowship from the East-West Center, he went on to complete his master's degree in Pacific Islands studies at the University of Hawai'i in 2004. His thesis, "Remapping Home, Touring the Betweenness of Kwajalein" focused on the ambivalent experiences of his childhood between America and the Marshall Islands.
>
> He went on to the Australian National University (ANU), where he completed his PhD in the Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies and the Centre for Cross Cultural Research. His doctoral study also concentrated on Kwajalein in historical perspective, with consideration of the multiple layers of Marshallese, Japanese, and American memories that had sedimented there during the 20th century.
>
> Currently, Greg is a visiting research fellow at both the University of Tokyo and the Australian National University and is conducting research about entangled Micronesian and Japanese histories.
Huberth Akyuwen

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2010

Hi, Mrs Ohoiner,
my Name is huberth Akyuwen. i am currently living in Hawaii. i heard you are from the Island of Moluccas. i also heard that you are doing a research about the relation between Moluccas and hawaii. i am myself from the Moluccas, from the island of ceram. i really want to help and talk to you more about this my email address is Huberth42@hotmail.com. would you contact me at this email and i would be so glad to contact you back
huberth..

Julian, are you in Honolulu back?
I would like to email you or talk to you, I saw you on Olelo Feb 1,2008.
Very impressed with your background and efforts to bring out the truth about Guam.
I am currently living in Honolulu and very interested in the Pacific Islands altogether. I am from the South Pacific myself,from the Moluccas.
Hoping to hear from you back,
Sincerely,
Susan
miu_from pohnpei isle

Micronesia, Federated States of

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

hey there, muckraker. sorry for dropping in at the wrong place. still working at cliff hotel, but now also working part time at the FSM Social Security headquarters. email me at thomasmiuleen@yahoo.com and let's continue "reuniting the chapters" (metaphorically speaking).
best,
Miu.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Marshall Islands Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marshall Islands Music Forum (Nov '12) Aug 5 Francesco Sinibaldi 9
UOG gets $630,015 from HHS Jul '14 Shyshy 2
Marshallese in Arkansas unhealthy, ineligible f... (Dec '07) Jul '14 Happy nd proud 267
Second world war dead washed up by Pacific Ocea... Jun '14 SpaceBlues 1
Tiny Pacific nation sues 9 nuclear-armed powers Apr '14 FACT 1
Call +27780945031 Brand New Booty. Apr '14 dr jomoo 1
Damian Light Psychic Identity Theft Apr '14 Better than Lifel... 1

Search the Marshall Islands Forum:
•••