Rudd Says Australia Must Diversify Outside Resources Sector

Aug 30, 2012 Full story: International Business Times 58

A Malagasy worker walks along an access track at mining giant Rio Tinto's project to construct an ilmenite mine in Fort Dauphin on Madagascar's south-eastern coast in this April 26, 2007 is also pushing for a boost in productivity through investments in skills and infrastructure and embracing new business opportunities in the areas of new ... (more)

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Son ofa Pig

Australia

#1 Aug 30, 2012
Rudds gone & lost the plot. Labor investing in Australian skills? To labor this means bringing in more migrants to fill the skills shortage and close down TAFE.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#2 Aug 31, 2012
Yes, the current PM and Swannie are always trying to make out the relatively good performance of the Australian economy is due to their governance of the Nation. While, everyone knows like Rudd we are completely dependent on the environment and that means the fortunes of other Nations.

There's no way we can avoid this reality. So, the diversification idea proposed in this article would appear to be a good idea. Only, to be effective in an integrated world requires an integrated approach. How will diversification help when the whole world is in a crisis?

We could only tie ourselves to another Nation in as much if, not more difficulty.

In an integrated world we have to see, that all Nations are dependant on each other. For a healthy system all Nations need to function properly. That means it is necessary to act differently by seeking to correct the approach of all participants in the global economy instead of individual Nations just trying to recue themselves only. This will be futile.

The greatest good we could do for all the other Nations and by extension in an integrated world ourselves, is to educate the world about the integrated, interdependent world. What's more we need, to educate how all Nations need to change their approach and attitude to succeed in an integrated world.

This education would benefit the world and as a result ourselves. It's the best course of action to take, any attempt at diversification wont help.
Myth Buster

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

#3 Aug 31, 2012
It sounds like a logical proposal.
Bearing in mind the strong Australian dollar, Australia must go high tech.

1, Aus must have at least one University that reach the top 10. Attract the best students from Asia and keep them. Never mind the political price from the like of Paulin Hansen.
2, Give tax incentives
3, Improve infrastructure.

My prediction: There is too little desire in Australia for greatness. Unlike countries like Korea or China where people have desire for greatness, willing to overcome hardship. Australians are satisfied with their cows and taking order from USA/UK with pride.

Sorry I have to tell you the truth.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#4 Aug 31, 2012
Myth Buster wrote:
It sounds like a logical proposal.
Bearing in mind the strong Australian dollar, Australia must go high tech.
1, Aus must....
....
...
My prediction: There is too little desire in Australia for greatness. Unlike countries like Korea or China where people have desire for greatness, willing to overcome hardship. Australians are satisfied with their cows and taking order from USA/UK with pride.
Sorry I have to tell you the truth.
You don't get do you?

Where are these Nations you described as desiring "..greatness". I'll tell you- well and truly up the creek panicking because unlike you they see they are being swept into a waterfall ahead into the abyss and can do nothing about it.

China tried to buy an Australian invented machine gun called Metal Storm it can virtually spray the air with lead due to the large number of rounds it can shoot in a minute, much more than it's nearest rival. There's your high tech for you. It's the ideal weapon for mass extermination of a population during a popular uprising. What good does it do Australia if a blood thirsty dictator stays in power by use of an Australian invented weapon. Worse still it wont work and the population would be clearly annoyed that Australia allowed such a trade. As it happened the US has stopped the trade.

Greatness for China is goanna be dumbness and deadness when their economy completely implodes, sitting on trillions of fiat US currency won't help. The population will explode when they don't have food and shelter because factories are closing everywhere including China. No particular technology that can be invented will do anything to change that unless we change our whole approach first.
Myth Buster

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

#5 Aug 31, 2012
Australian Republic wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't get do you?
Where are these Nations you described as desiring "..greatness". I'll tell you- well and truly up the creek panicking because unlike you they see they are being swept into a waterfall ahead into the abyss and can do nothing about it.
China tried to buy an Australian invented machine gun called Metal Storm it can virtually spray the air with lead due to the large number of rounds it can shoot in a minute, much more than it's nearest rival. There's your high tech for you. It's the ideal weapon for mass extermination of a population during a popular uprising. What good does it do Australia if a blood thirsty dictator stays in power by use of an Australian invented weapon. Worse still it wont work and the population would be clearly annoyed that Australia allowed such a trade. As it happened the US has stopped the trade.
Greatness for China is goanna be dumbness and deadness when their economy completely implodes, sitting on trillions of fiat US currency won't help. The population will explode when they don't have food and shelter because factories are closing everywhere including China. No particular technology that can be invented will do anything to change that unless we change our whole approach first.
I don't know what you are trying to say.
R u saying Metal Storm is an example of Australian success in high tech innovation?
"Metal storm" is a bankrupt company now.
Are u saying "Metal Storm" has high moral standard?
They sell their weapons to Papua New Guinea.
In my vocabulary it is a failure.
scooterman

Glen Waverley, Australia

#6 Aug 31, 2012
Son ofa Pig wrote:
Rudds gone & lost the plot. Labor investing in Australian skills? To labor this means bringing in more migrants to fill the skills shortage and close down TAFE.
No, diversifying outside the resource sector means skilling Australians up for occupations outside the resources sector and keeping TAFEs open.

Baillieu's the big TAFE closure fan. He's a blue-blooded Liberal who wants to ensure that his wealthy mates can still educate their kids on generous amounts of taxpayer's money in their 'private' schools.
scooterman

Glen Waverley, Australia

#7 Aug 31, 2012
Myth Buster wrote:
It sounds like a logical proposal.
Bearing in mind the strong Australian dollar, Australia must go high tech.
1, Aus must have at least one University that reach the top 10. Attract the best students from Asia and keep them. Never mind the political price from the like of Paulin Hansen.
2, Give tax incentives
3, Improve infrastructure.
My prediction: There is too little desire in Australia for greatness. Unlike countries like Korea or China where people have desire for greatness, willing to overcome hardship. Australians are satisfied with their cows and taking order from USA/UK with pride.
Sorry I have to tell you the truth.
There is desire for 'greatness' within the Australian public.

However our elites want to keep the 'greatness' for themselves, hence their preference for lavishing public money upon private-school students at the expense of public students. The power-mad bunch of glorified thieves and sick puppies fantasise about eventually having a caste system just like Britain and India.

See what relative support Korea and China's governments give their students and then get back to me.
Roaring Chicken

Thailand

#8 Aug 31, 2012
Australian Govt. should promote more investment in Australian agriculture and foodstuffs.
We have just seen the corn and soy crop in the USA go up in flames because there is no global warming(SIC)
The southern hemisphere needs to keep up agriculture and not foreign investment in our breadbasket.
Unfortunately it is long term investment and the private sector still is trying for 10%/annum returns. So the Govt should incentify only LOCAL investment. Much like the idea for trees that went south.
John

Brisbane, Australia

#9 Aug 31, 2012
Myth Buster wrote:
It sounds like a logical proposal.
Bearing in mind the strong Australian dollar, Australia must go high tech.
1, Aus must have at least one University that reach the top 10. Attract the best students from Asia and keep them. Never mind the political price from the like of Paulin Hansen.
2, Give tax incentives
3, Improve infrastructure.
My prediction: There is too little desire in Australia for greatness. Unlike countries like Korea or China where people have desire for greatness, willing to overcome hardship. Australians are satisfied with their cows and taking order from USA/UK with pride.
Sorry I have to tell you the truth.
Err, Australian industry is already high tech you imbecile.
Korea and China are not "great".
Korea is a joke and China is a Communist tyranny that makes cheap junk we buy for a few dollars.
Sorry I have to tell you the truth.
Bogan Kingdom

Maribyrnong, Australia

#10 Aug 31, 2012
Australia should used its vast land for food production using chinese and indonesian as labourers on less than minimum wages, it can grow lentils,rice, sunflower etc for Asian market.!! LOL
Chinese tsar

Melbourne, Australia

#11 Sep 1, 2012
Australian Republic wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't get do you?
Where are these Nations you described as desiring "..greatness". I'll tell you- well and truly up the creek panicking because unlike you they see they are being swept into a waterfall ahead into the abyss and can do nothing about it.
China tried to buy an Australian invented machine gun called Metal Storm it can virtually spray the air with lead due to the large number of rounds it can shoot in a minute, much more than it's nearest rival. There's your high tech for you. It's the ideal weapon for mass extermination of a population during a popular uprising. What good does it do Australia if a blood thirsty dictator stays in power by use of an Australian invented weapon. Worse still it wont work and the population would be clearly annoyed that Australia allowed such a trade. As it happened the US has stopped the trade.
Greatness for China is goanna be dumbness and deadness when their economy completely implodes, sitting on trillions of fiat US currency won't help. The population will explode when they don't have food and shelter because factories are closing everywhere including China. No particular technology that can be invented will do anything to change that unless we change our whole approach first.
we get it alright.its u who dont get it!metal storm is merely a big boys toy.like all female supermodels ,once we are thru with them over the years they would be sold as scrap and not worth the $.metalstorm is just a real mans toy nothing more!
Chinese tsar

Melbourne, Australia

#12 Sep 1, 2012
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Err, Australian industry is already high tech you imbecile.
Korea and China are not "great".
Korea is a joke and China is a Communist tyranny that makes cheap junk we buy for a few dollars.
Sorry I have to tell you the truth.
high tech??as in what?in yiu using a 4g handphone calling your mate out for a beer?who makes those phones?korea and china and certainly not oz.

korean products are expensive.1kg of new handphones go for like $40.its your aussie coal that goes for like 10 cents per kilogram on world market.tell me what kind of high tech products that are made in australia?you cant! because there are none made in oz and will be like that with nickel and dime retards like you!
scooterman

Glen Waverley, Australia

#13 Sep 1, 2012
Chinese tsar wrote:
<quoted text>
high tech??as in what?in yiu using a 4g handphone calling your mate out for a beer?who makes those phones?korea and china and certainly not oz.
korean products are expensive.1kg of new handphones go for like $40.its your aussie coal that goes for like 10 cents per kilogram on world market.tell me what kind of high tech products that are made in australia?you cant! because there are none made in oz and will be like that with nickel and dime retards like you!
You're right. We design and innovate more than produce products under licence and by paying our workers a pittance.

Mobile phone manufacturing plants can be set up in any third-world dump to take advantage of the cheaper labour. That's why Nokia doesn't make phones in Finland anymore, not because third-world countries are at the cutting-edge of technological innovation.

But let's forget about mobile phones: Has China or India managed to build a world-class quality passenger vehicle yet that matches European, American, Japanese and our own standards?

As for mineral mining, we do it for the same reason that dogs lick their own balls. Without mineral mining you can't build most high-tech goods, low-tech goods, construction, a lot of essential and not-so-essential things, too many to name. And you'd be living in a bamboo house like a panda. Enough said.

Asian century

Maribyrnong, Australia

#14 Sep 1, 2012
Chinese and Indians are now manufacturing and designing world class products, China is already becoming a world class education hub for international students offering Medicine and engineering courses for almost one third the price of Australia, it is attracting students from all over the world as medium of instruction is English and has also got brand new bullet trains and skyscrapers as well. Chinese has captured world market for green energy and mass producing solar panels and wind turbines. India's Mahindra has recently launched XUV500 the world most advanced SUV in the australian market, the design is inspired by a Cheetah.
truth

Perth, Australia

#15 Sep 1, 2012
no body care
poluted mind=science product
from evil masters

i am not care
for corupt diploma
for evil purpose
from money cicicilici kukulele wash-brain corupt world

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#16 Sep 1, 2012
Chinese tsar wrote:
<quoted text>
high tech??as in what?in yiu using a 4g handphone calling your mate out for a beer?who makes those phones?korea and china and certainly not oz.
korean products are expensive.1kg of new handphones go for like $40.its your aussie coal that goes for like 10 cents per kilogram on world market.tell me what kind of high tech products that are made in australia?you cant! because there are none made in oz and will be like that with nickel and dime retards like you!
You put them together that is all you do....you are not inovators or have any claim to invention that is the western world using you as a cheap tool, without western money you wouldn't have any industry....and without them you couldn't afford to buy others ideas....
Chinese tsar

Melbourne, Australia

#17 Sep 1, 2012
scooterman wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. We design and innovate more than produce products under licence and by paying our workers a pittance.
Mobile phone manufacturing plants can be set up in any third-world dump to take advantage of the cheaper labour. That's why Nokia doesn't make phones in Finland anymore, not because third-world countries are at the cutting-edge of technological innovation.
But let's forget about mobile phones: Has China or India managed to build a world-class quality passenger vehicle yet that matches European, American, Japanese and our own standards?
As for mineral mining, we do it for the same reason that dogs lick their own balls. Without mineral mining you can't build most high-tech goods, low-tech goods, construction, a lot of essential and not-so-essential things, too many to name. And you'd be living in a bamboo house like a panda. Enough said.
you mean you dont design and innovate enough.if u did....u wouldnt need to depend on mineral resources for your economy.if u make $$$ by licnesing,it means yiu are too lazy to keep the factories working in oz unlike the japanese or americans who not only license them but also make them from within their own countries.by licensing someone to even build a spaceship to mars only means the true makers of the spaceship has problems building it in his own country due to lack of expertise,up to date modern technologies to build them faster or simply has no $$$ to fund most of the manufacturing method and run things in the long run and perhaps also due to lack of management and high tech skills.

china and india cars make their cars.its sold in australia,singapore and in all parts of the world.cars arent exactly high tech.its just another ancient horsedrwn wagon for transport.when a person means high tech,it means the devices were not invented or seen 20 years ago. a handphone wasnt seen in the 1980s except for huge clunky ones but a car is often seen and the size is almost similiar other than the modifications in fuel economy and some other creature comforts.

when u say the dogs lick......i would say yiu are a just anither one who needs to lick.you would hardly hear any arabs saying this to anyone worldwide.the only person who makes such a fuss about coal is the australian people like its made of gold or something.tell you what...u take a plane ride to mongolia and you can see raght now 1 million chinese and mongolians building a great wall of rail lines to beijing just to transport their high quality mongolian coal.you a primitive.we dont use coal but petroleum

think nothing of mineral mining..its low tech and low grade.we think nothing of it and the people working there.those jobs are traditionally meant for condemned criminals or the uneducated in most parts of the world .

why would i need to live in a bamboo house ?perhaps its you who lived in one.we lived in reinforced concrete houses all along.is it so hard to get anything from oz from coal to a simple concrete house without folks like u making it look like it came from the moon or something.sheesh.we want coal..we get it from people.we want concrete rebar houses,we get them too without folks like u bitching about it being bamboo or straw or bricks.

a lump of coal is like a lump of salt.none of them are valuable by itself.dont make a fuss about it.thos kinda industries belong to what u call ball licking technology which is unremarkable technology...much like charcoal or oil.whereas car fuel from oil is much more useful to everyone unlike coal which is useless.
which sells better if u were to take a trip out of your bamboo cage? a few lumps of coal....a bottle of petrol for your car ...or handphone ?
the petrol goes first followed by handphone and as for the lumps of coal,it would never be bought by anyone because its not really used by any normal person.unless yiu are a robot that chomps down lumps of coal for a meal.....coal is useless to most normal people on the street.
Chinese tsar

Melbourne, Australia

#18 Sep 1, 2012
scooterman wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. We design and innovate more than produce products under licence and by paying our workers a pittance.
Mobile phone manufacturing plants can be set up in any third-world dump to take advantage of the cheaper labour. That's why Nokia doesn't make phones in Finland anymore, not because third-world countries are at the cutting-edge of technological innovation.
But let's forget about mobile phones: Has China or India managed to build a world-class quality passenger vehicle yet that matches European, American, Japanese and our own standards?
As for mineral mining, we do it for the same reason that dogs lick their own balls. Without mineral mining you can't build most high-tech goods, low-tech goods, construction, a lot of essential and not-so-essential things, too many to name. And you'd be living in a bamboo house like a panda. Enough said.
you can forget about australia making cars.its barely surviving.in fact australia has problems even giving a decent haircut to people let alone giving the world any high tech solutions.to me ,australia could probably turn into a land of "zombies" clawing anyone for fresh meat to satisfy their hunger pangs in future because they havent got it to be modern and able to survive in the future without killing anything .im not staying here and end up being a zombie ok!
Chinese tsar

Melbourne, Australia

#19 Sep 1, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You put them together that is all you do....you are not inovators or have any claim to invention that is the western world using you as a cheap tool, without western money you wouldn't have any industry....and without them you couldn't afford to buy others ideas....
we never needed western $.you need them,we build em and u buy it.thats business.

we used australia to get cheap coal really.yiu were probably a cheap tool to us.without chinese $$$,you wouldn't have any mining industry....and without them you couldn't afford to buy others ideas and pay for your meal at maccas..you dont need toi think of innoivation to make a pizza do u?same goes for here!sheesh....we are here to simoply talk on your old fashioned mining sector and then u end up talking about innovation and ideas like your mining shaft is some kinda NASA launching pad or something...lol
truth

Perth, Australia

#20 Sep 1, 2012
polluted mind
polluted blade

Who is your Master?

i don't liked your law on cruck corupt way
your law is not my law never will be neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Madagascar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you know God's name? (Nov '11) Dec 2 God worships Sin ... 5
Jazz made in Germany happens to Kampala Oct '14 Dr mukisa 1
looking for a nice business partner in Madagascar (Jan '13) Sep '14 zubairalikhan 5
Madagascar: Islands of Safety for Girls Jul '14 Alfredo777 1
World Bank to give Madagascar $400 mln over nex... (May '14) Jul '14 Human at Earth 2
Tour madagascar (Jul '13) Jun '14 Lol 2
andriamanaly (Jun '14) Jun '14 karym 2
More from around the web