Lesotho to harness wind and water in ...

Lesotho to harness wind and water in huge green energy project

There are 18 comments on the Guardian Unlimited story from Oct 31, 2011, titled Lesotho to harness wind and water in huge green energy project. In it, Guardian Unlimited reports that:

Lightning strikes Maseru, Lesotho. The A 9bn green energy project will be the biggest of its kind in Africa.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Guardian Unlimited.

Senior

Pretoria, South Africa

#1 Nov 1, 2011
Well this wind power project is very good news. As the Minister is quoted as saying, this could indeed get Lesotho out of the least developed country status. I hope the project succeeds - we are still waiting for the Maseru mall, ea Mopapeng, where cnstruction was supposed to have started in April 2011!

I wish Lesotho could also sell lightning - na le bona how impressive the picture is on the article? Taken from Lesotho Sun I would say!
Ngoana-Matala

Pretoria, South Africa

#2 Nov 1, 2011
It's a good read indeed.
I so wish i could find it in myself to supress my levels of scepticizm about projects that happen in Lesotho and the returns they guarantee.
Please may it not be like Metsi a Lihlaba moo le kajeno Basotho ba ntseng ba sena metsi a nooang - let alone other possible projects like irrigation and the likes.
I pray as of now for some optimism lest I come across as a pessimist who never sees the bright side of any initiative by the government!

“Botle bo bokalo ba monna”

Since: Mar 10

Ha o cha o cheche

#3 Nov 1, 2011
Senior wrote:
Well this wind power project is very good news. As the Minister is quoted as saying, this could indeed get Lesotho out of the least developed country status. I hope the project succeeds - we are still waiting for the Maseru mall, ea Mopapeng, where cnstruction was supposed to have started in April 2011!
I wish Lesotho could also sell lightning - na le bona how impressive the picture is on the article? Taken from Lesotho Sun I would say!
Is Maseru the only place in Lesotho?

“sthibaliciously sexy”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#4 Nov 1, 2011
Re tla boka ha li oroha.
malithatsana

UK

#5 Nov 1, 2011
Nkhono e mong pela haka oa lerekisa letolo lena le tsebang ho nka bo nama ka lipitdeng.
Ngoana-Matala

Pretoria, South Africa

#6 Nov 1, 2011
Senior wrote:
In fact, Lesotho could be the first country to boast spectacles of natural fireworks - haholo-holo ka moo o hlalosang uena 'Malithatsana hore mokhoa Basotho ba tseba le ho ritela lena le sebang ka lipitseng!
Mahlale ana a rona a mpa a hana ho kena tsebetsong ka kotloloho, ho ntlafatsa moruo. lol. Bona hona joale re emetse ma-China le SA ho tla exploita the potential that with the calibre of intellectuals we have - who are all over the world.
Senior

Pretoria, South Africa

#8 Nov 2, 2011
Ngoana-Matala wrote:
It's a good read indeed.
I so wish i could find it in myself to supress my levels of scepticizm about projects that happen in Lesotho and the returns they guarantee.
Please may it not be like Metsi a Lihlaba moo le kajeno Basotho ba ntseng ba sena metsi a nooang - let alone other possible projects like irrigation and the likes.
I pray as of now for some optimism lest I come across as a pessimist who never sees the bright side of any initiative by the government!
Let us be optimistic and hope that this works, it a huge opportunity. As you correctly say, let it not be a repeat of LHWP I.
Does anyone know the exact location of these project - will they alos result in any relocations, will farmlands and grazing lands be lost? If so, what compensation mechanism are in place?

On benefits to the country/nation, what are we to expect beyond the 25% share that the government holds/ This is such a huge opportunity and I really hope that the powers that be act in the best interst of the nation to ensure that significant benfits remain.
Senior

Pretoria, South Africa

#9 Nov 2, 2011
Chitja wa Botha Bothe wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Maseru the only place in Lesotho?
Your point being?
Ngoana-Matala

Pretoria, South Africa

#10 Nov 2, 2011
Senior wrote:
<quoted text>
Let us be optimistic and hope that this works, it a huge opportunity. As you correctly say, let it not be a repeat of LHWP I.
Does anyone know the exact location of these project - will they alos result in any relocations, will farmlands and grazing lands be lost? If so, what compensation mechanism are in place?
On benefits to the country/nation, what are we to expect beyond the 25% share that the government holds/ This is such a huge opportunity and I really hope that the powers that be act in the best interst of the nation to ensure that significant benfits remain.
It's at times like these that one wishes there had been thus far in this 'democratic rule', open consultative processess which could inform and equip the few individuals who negotiate on behalf of the nation so that nothing or rather not much slides at the disadvantage of communities that are going to be affected and the nation as a whole. But all we can do is hold thumbs!

Beyond people's livelyhoods, one also hopes that great concern will be afforded the environmental dimension as well - fauna and flora, wetlands the atmosphere etc. All these aspects need to be assessed and evaluated against the potential and possibilities of the environmental benefits that Lesotho would stand to gain through Tourism.
Care needs to be taken not to think one-dimensional that the natural state of the place as "it is" possess no value and only the prospective project will add value. The project itself will be an opportunity cost.

Once again, we can only hope knowldegeable, qualified Basotho will be afforded opportunities within the bigger scheme so that matters are approached with the input of people who know and undersatnd the dynamics of Lesotho - socio-economic and politically.
Senior

Pretoria, South Africa

#11 Nov 2, 2011
Ngoana-Matala wrote:
<quoted text>
It's at times like these that one wishes there had been thus far in this 'democratic rule', open consultative processess which could inform and equip the few individuals who negotiate on behalf of the nation so that nothing or rather not much slides at the disadvantage of communities that are going to be affected and the nation as a whole. But all we can do is hold thumbs!
Beyond people's livelyhoods, one also hopes that great concern will be afforded the environmental dimension as well - fauna and flora, wetlands the atmosphere etc. All these aspects need to be assessed and evaluated against the potential and possibilities of the environmental benefits that Lesotho would stand to gain through Tourism.
Care needs to be taken not to think one-dimensional that the natural state of the place as "it is" possess no value and only the prospective project will add value. The project itself will be an opportunity cost.
Once again, we can only hope knowldegeable, qualified Basotho will be afforded opportunities within the bigger scheme so that matters are approached with the input of people who know and undersatnd the dynamics of Lesotho - socio-economic and politically.
You could not have said it any better!! Let the project lead to sustainable 'and inclusive' development, preserving the tourism resource being also very important and indeed being a skills development opportunity.

Since: Sep 11

UK

#12 Nov 2, 2011
We do need this type of projects particularly in the 21 century where the environment is really under threat. Superpowers are busy creating wars and unrest in oil rich countries, perhaps this could be the answer to every Mosotho who have been living in poverty for the past 300 yrs.
Black dick

Pretoria, South Africa

#13 Nov 2, 2011
bana beso passport ese e tura banna , ke patese R400 ka moqebelo plus dinepe , he banna ke mohlolo , mara Lesotho teng ke ilo reka ntlo , ke batla hoba le ntlo ka naheng ka kwana
Mokalokope wa lihlaba

Satellite Provider

#14 Nov 2, 2011
How 1 could b so sure dat these tym arnd, da prject benefit Lesotho as said by da minister? My point is, LHWP is 4 mzansi, coz of da same negotiations, dis tym is China and mzansi...? Whatch out.
Mokalokope wa lihlaba

Satellite Provider

#15 Nov 2, 2011
Actually it is good 4 Lesotho empa bo ramehono bana pusong ruri ke ba bolai ba rona basotho, ha re beng le Party ea rona bacha re iketsetseng.
tleu

Maseru, Lesotho

#16 Nov 2, 2011
scepticism taken, but people lets look on the brighter side: the project will yield thousands job opports, generate green energy for domestic consumption, earn Lesotho some forex, and create enterprise in the support industries.
problem is: seeing our potential competitive advantage in the produc of electricity, does it serve us well to have mostly privatised our power utility? hona joale teropo e lefifi partly coz LEC sells electricity prepaid to govt and Masepala for street lighting. what crap!
i dont preach 'Nashinalisajen', lest i be construed not 'to know polotiks', but govt should buy back the majority stake at LEC so as to ensure that even the rural user can afford at least 47 units per week. le mohlanapeng koana re banese lona... helang!.
Ngoana-Matala

Pretoria, South Africa

#17 Nov 2, 2011
tleu wrote:
scepticism taken, but people lets look on the brighter side: the project will yield thousands job opports, generate green energy for domestic consumption, earn Lesotho some forex, and create enterprise in the support industries.
problem is: seeing our potential competitive advantage in the produc of electricity, does it serve us well to have mostly privatised our power utility? hona joale teropo e lefifi partly coz LEC sells electricity prepaid to govt and Masepala for street lighting. what crap!
i dont preach 'Nashinalisajen', lest i be construed not 'to know polotiks', but govt should buy back the majority stake at LEC so as to ensure that even the rural user can afford at least 47 units per week. le mohlanapeng koana re banese lona... helang!.
You said it well - we all want to be optimistic about the prospect(s).Jobs, yes they will be created but mostly short term like it happened with LHWP. Remember this are projects and have a given life span.
What i think needs to be the imperative outlook here is negotiating long-term yields that will benefit Basotho clearly. If we talk about Basotho being able to get electricity - that for me is an abstract if i am not informed of the details of how Basotho will fall into a priority category of that gain. The project is in Lesotho - one of the poorest countries in the world , and that should be reason enogh to qualify the levels of their gains.

Once we get such details, Basotho can be re-assured that it will not be the same rhetoric like Metsi a Lihlaba moo le hona joale Basotho ba ntseng ba sokola metsi empa likotase mona bo-baas ba nosetsa mehloa kantle ho majarete. Get what i mean!

I bet if the details of how that electricity is going to be provided to ordinary Mosotho, we can rest assured that at least Sechaba le sona se tla imona menoana because as far as the forex earning you refer to, one might as well forget now! Do you even know what the revenue ea Metsi a Lihlaba advanced for Lesotho. Was there ever a difference that there was another source of revenue beyound the taxes that Basotho pay in terms of national development?

One question that i still have though: What does China stand to gain in thi9s venture?
If it was a partnership b/n Les and RSA only, it would make better sense to me....!?
Mokalokope wa lihlaba

Satellite Provider

#18 Nov 3, 2011
Dat is my point exactly, our govnors nva let us knw, how dose countries lyk china now, r going 2 benefit, we wil c afda Basotho's cheap hard labour work expires dat it was never meant 2 benefit us, rather sme indiv in Lesotho and dose countries, wait and watch bt read also, u'l c, den learn.
Mokalokope wa lihlaba

Satellite Provider

#19 Nov 3, 2011
It is nt dat we are always resisting change or dat we r -ve abt everythng da gvnt is doing bt, deir structure of doing thngs is having too much loops yet to be fixd 4 da lv of Basotho. Everythng dey d now is 1 way or da oda going 2 benefit dem nt da nation! Check everythng arnd u dat is gvnt sector.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lesotho Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ke tlo Le Ruta Ka Lebollo la Sesotho. (Apr '13) 12 hr Mashenga 719
Monna anang le tjhelete (Aug '13) Aug 17 BBT 9
Sangoma Occult Priest of Mozambique (Jul '12) Jul '15 Joyasika 99
Bataung ba Molete (May '12) Jul '15 Karabo Motaung 20
Ke sabela 26 (May '14) Jul '15 Moletsane 19
Loco Music Jul '15 Lee 1
kuku ya ka e metsi (Feb '14) Jul '15 Tiza 24
More from around the web