Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
37,921 - 37,940 of 68,955 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#41648 Oct 8, 2012
SeasideSoon wrote:
<quoted text>Obama may've been born in Hawaii, but for some reason, he dallied with the question by not producing a birth certificate, which seems to have been common practice when running for office.
Now whether this was a 'law' is up for debate, since now a law has been introduced to ensure we don't have these problems in the future.
http://www.sonorannews.com/archives/2010/1009...
What I clearly don't understand is why it was necessary to dodge the question for three years, seal college records, and even Michelle's high school records, and distance themselves from questionable associates. If you or I were running for president, we can be sure that every demerit and missed assignment and past affiliation would be on the nightly news. And I wouldn't care - let everybody know who they're voting for. Perhaps you never missed any assignments or had ex-terrorists as acquaintances.
He's a talker for sure. When he was campaigning, I listened to his speeches and he was impressive. I recall one where I actually felt like I was being sucked in and had to shake it off. I remember thinking to myself,'that was scary'. Because it wasn't a logic approach, it was pure emotion. But after three plus years, I recognize the gestures, inflections, and am immune to it. Emotion isn't going to solve the fiscal crisis or bring back home values deflated by the wild lending practices fostered by a Democrat congress that passed laws to force lenders to lend to unqualified buyers. Then everybody got into the junk mortgage business, got rich and the rest of us got to suffer the aftereffects.
Which president started the EPA?
Which president started OSHA?
Which president supported the Clean Air Act?
Which president supported the Clean Water Act, although not the excessive funds projected to be spent on it?
ERA
School integration
Which president proposed a health care plan for low-income families and health insurance for all employees?
Hint. Although the congress was Democrat, several still supporting integration, many of the above initiatives came from a Republican.
Some reboups used language that we kew from the Vietnam era: scorched eart.
As in the would rather burn America to the ground than stand for a black president any longer.

Therefore it is inherently irrational to fight the implementation of ideas, just because of the colour of skin and political colour of the president.

Location hidden

#41649 Oct 8, 2012
Apropos did not Bush promiss everone his own home, making that into some law, and again leaving democrats to pick up the pieces?
Frijoles

Bristol, CT

#41650 Oct 8, 2012
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say tat when someone is eligible to be in the senate, his bonafides and american birthright has lond been established.
So it is a non- issue and to bring it up just shows this nascent racism. Nothing gained for black people in America, if anything it laid it bare.
Come to think of it, he is more American than most with his mulongeon origin. But talk about killing of native Americans and stripping them of their rights than that groups treatment is the abject example.
But this islamic angle or the idiotic marx and hitler comparisons are all disguised (barely though) racism.
They would be laughable if Americans weren't so uneducated and misinformed.(As in not reading an actual law text but following some interest-groups blabla)
A reminder to me that the third world is also present in America.
Its funny how the birthers never asked any of the OTHER candidates for president to produce their birth certificates.

Nor did anyone really raise the issue in previous elections pre-Obama.

Gee, I wonder what is different about THIS president?
duh
Frijoles

Bristol, CT

#41651 Oct 8, 2012
SeasideSoon wrote:
<quoted text>Obama may've been born in Hawaii, but for some reason, he dallied with the question by not producing a birth certificate, which seems to have been common practice when running for office.
Now whether this was a 'law' is up for debate, since now a law has been introduced to ensure we don't have these problems in the future.
http://www.sonorannews.com/archives/2010/1009...
What I clearly don't understand is why it was necessary to dodge the question for three years, seal college records, and even Michelle's high school records, and distance themselves from questionable associates. If you or I were running for president, we can be sure that every demerit and missed assignment and past affiliation would be on the nightly news. And I wouldn't care - let everybody know who they're voting for. Perhaps you never missed any assignments or had ex-terrorists as acquaintances.
Your premise is so stupid that my only recourse is to label it so.

Sorry.

I still love you :)
former res

Broomall, PA

#41652 Oct 8, 2012
Frijoles,

Have you been checking out the news? The polls?

Still think debates don't matter?

Only if someone does really well or really poorly - or both.

Otherwise....they don't.
Frijoles

Bristol, CT

#41653 Oct 8, 2012
SeasideSoon wrote:
<quoted text>When he was campaigning, I listened to his speeches and he was impressive. I recall one where I actually felt like I was being sucked in and had to shake it off. I remember thinking to myself,'that was scary'. Because it wasn't a logic approach, it was pure emotion. But after three plus years, I recognize the gestures, inflections, and am immune to it. Emotion isn't going to solve the fiscal crisis or bring back home values deflated by the wild lending practices fostered by a Democrat congress that passed laws to force lenders to lend to unqualified buyers. Then everybody got into the junk mortgage business, got rich and the rest of us got to suffer the aftereffects.
I find you reactions kind of curious, honestly.

I never found his approach that unique. On rare equation he can deliver masterful speeches (such as his speech on racism). More often than not I find him too intellectual, and his day to day spech patterns grate on me (so did both Bushes).

But I will vote for him. Happily and eagerly.

Why? because his views and values mroe accurately reflect my values and views than the other guy.

Which is why most people who vote for him will vote for him.

You impute wayyyyyy too much charisma into the guy. I have a relative who early on used to carry on sarcastically about the "annoited one". At the time I really did not understand why sho would care or notice. She turned into a Tea Party person once the movement gained a name. I think its only the conservative tea party types that pursue this avenue of worship. The rest of us like him for his views and values.
Frijoles

Bristol, CT

#41654 Oct 8, 2012
SeasideSoon wrote:
<quoted text>Which president started the EPA?
Which president started OSHA?
Which president supported the Clean Air Act?
Which president supported the Clean Water Act, although not the excessive funds projected to be spent on it?
ERA
School integration
Which president proposed a health care plan for low-income families and health insurance for all employees?
Hint. Although the congress was Democrat, several still supporting integration, many of the above initiatives came from a Republican.
You are absolutely correct.

So tell me why the Republicans are doing everything in their power TODAY to do away without just about all of those?

And why someone should vote for a party that TODAY wants to do away with all of that?

And while we are at it, please tell me what happened to all the moderate Republicans? You know, the ones that used to initiate and/or support the legislation such as the ones you just cited.

And finally, how are these laws, that you proudly cited, supposed to be enacted without a class of professional regulators?
Frijoles

Bristol, CT

#41655 Oct 8, 2012
former res wrote:
Frijoles,
Otherwise....they don't.
It was my hope that debates dont matter. Its now a battle of narratives. Romney used to be the terminally wounded one. Now Obama is. He needs to break through that narrative.

What gets me is the enthusiasm the conservatives now have in closing ranks around their man, who just pivoted away from their views. From a logically point of view, that makes no sense and is really ficked up. Unless the dislike for Obama from the Conservatives isnt really about politics/economics/social views, but,(dare I say), something more visceral like.....????

I think the election isnt going to about polling percentages- its going to be about turnout.

Location hidden

#41656 Oct 8, 2012
former res wrote:
Frijoles,
Otherwise....they don't.
I understand that speeching is the thing to do when in the senate.
Unlike in Europe debate does not feature large.
So two more chances and the lady Clinton has some more work to do.

I always liked Obama because he had his facts in order.
That's likable about democrates in general.

Rebups give the usual devoid of intelligence colgate smiles, the plastic over-engineered wife and ineptitudes but get elected anyway.

What i understand from reading across the board is that people are just plain scared of government involvement, no matter how well regulated and transparant.
So voting half a moron in that will sent them to die (starve them, leave them on the streets etc.) is the better option?
I just don't get it.

Location hidden

#41657 Oct 8, 2012
I understood that Romney said something entirely stupid (borrowing money from china to provide us healthcare) and instead of shaking his head (the stupidity of it all and who the hell orchestrated this freakshow anyway) and giving the guy the floor, obama was supposed to have decked him.

Location hidden

#41658 Oct 8, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
It was my hope that debates dont matter. Its now a battle of narratives. Romney used to be the terminally wounded one. Now Obama is. He needs to break through that narrative.
What gets me is the enthusiasm the conservatives now have in closing ranks around their man, who just pivoted away from their views. From a logically point of view, that makes no sense and is really ficked up. Unless the dislike for Obama from the Conservatives isnt really about politics/economics/social views, but,(dare I say), something more visceral like.....????
I think the election isnt going to about polling percentages- its going to be about turnout.
That's the other thing. Lately i was looking into libertarian party and the concept in general which on economic grounds also seems to entail the tea-party and conservatives.

So they put their eggs in one basket, i'll bet after calculating the odds. What with 10 million hispanic origin people suddenly not being allowed to vote.
I still have not figured out how that happened.
Maybe someone can enlighten me?
former res

Broomall, PA

#41659 Oct 8, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
What gets me is the enthusiasm the conservativesc now have in closing ranks around their man, who just pivoted away from their views. From a logically point of view, that makes no sense and is really ficked up. Unless the dislike for Obama from the Conservatives isnt really about politics/economics/social views, but,(dare I say), something more visceral like.....????
Remember 4 years ago when Romney said "I've been a hunter all my life" and it turned out he'd been hunting exactly twice (once as kid and once recently)? The guy will literally say ANYTHING to get elected. He's as phony and without conviction or a core as the day is long.(As Teddy Kennedy said of him, when it comes to abortion Romney is not pro-choice or pro-life, he's "mulitple choice.")

His base will join him in selling out if it means reclaiming the White House.

If the tables turn too much in the key swing states, Obama could be in trouble.

And along the lines of turnout - Chuck Todd also makes a good and worrying point.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/07/chuc...

Location hidden

#41660 Oct 8, 2012
See former res post:
The GOP advantage spans all the key voting constituencies. In terms of seniors, a strong group for Republican nominee Mitt Romney, 87 percent of voters are enthusiastic, up six points from 2008. Two key groups for Obama, young voters and Latinos, are showing less interest: 52 percent of 18-to-34 year olds are "extremely interested," down 20 points from 2008, and 59 percent of Latinos, down 18 points.

"So even though [Obama's] going to get more Hispanics, if less of them turn out, it's a net zero. And yet, you look at Republican enthusiasm, up, senior enthusiasm, up," Todd said.

"It's a huge problem," he said. "And by the way, all of this, pre-debate."

end quote

What i understood is that 10 million hispanics that used to be eligable to vote, have had their right to do so revoked.
Why is unclear.
So not that they might right now not show such an interest.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#41661 Oct 8, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I find you reactions kind of curious, honestly.
I never found his approach that unique. On rare equation he can deliver masterful speeches (such as his speech on racism). More often than not I find him too intellectual, and his day to day spech patterns grate on me (so did both Bushes).
But I will vote for him. Happily and eagerly.
Why? because his views and values mroe accurately reflect my values and views than the other guy.
Which is why most people who vote for him will vote for him.
You impute wayyyyyy too much charisma into the guy. I have a relative who early on used to carry on sarcastically about the "annoited one". At the time I really did not understand why sho would care or notice. She turned into a Tea Party person once the movement gained a name. I think its only the conservative tea party types that pursue this avenue of worship. The rest of us like him for his views and values.
Good post.

At the end of the day, Obama is a politician just like the rest of them. And, at the end of the day, it all boils down to which candidate's/party's ideals you align with more. Speeches and rah-rah pep rallies have never swayed me. I guess some people are more emotional and easily swayed than others.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#41662 Oct 8, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember 4 years ago when Romney said "I've been a hunter all my life" and it turned out he'd been hunting exactly twice (once as kid and once recently)? The guy will literally say ANYTHING to get elected. He's as phony and without conviction or a core as the day is long.(As Teddy Kennedy said of him, when it comes to abortion Romney is not pro-choice or pro-life, he's "mulitple choice.")
And along the lines of turnout - Chuck Todd also makes a good and worrying point.
It leaves one to wonder if he did get elected, where on the political spectrum he would settle in - far right or moderate right?
Voluntarist

United States

#41663 Oct 8, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
You may not think that way, but it has been clear since the first day of Obamas presidency that there were a lot of people were pissed off at the idea of a black man as president. What do you think all the birtherism /closet muslim thing is all about?Where else does that irrational hatred come from? I was never a fan of Bush, but you didnt see me exuding that degree of emotion against him.
Regarding the less fortunate, Romney didnt win you any favors in arguing that repubs care. And neither did any of the zanies during the primaries.
Was racism behind the uproar of Bill Clinton lying under oath?
People are angry with Obama's lying and covering up, refusing to release information. If you have nothing to hide why are you acting as if there is something to hide?
He is a public figure and his behavior fueled the fire.
Voluntarist

United States

#41664 Oct 8, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Its funny how the birthers never asked any of the OTHER candidates for president to produce their birth certificates.
Nor did anyone really raise the issue in previous elections pre-Obama.
Gee, I wonder what is different about THIS president?
duh
The issue was raised about McCain's eligibility, was that based on racism?
Voluntarist

United States

#41666 Oct 8, 2012
MAAT wrote:
Apropos did not Bush promiss everone his own home, making that into some law, and again leaving democrats to pick up the pieces?
The Glass-steagall act was dismantled during Clintons era.
As usual the presidency because of the 2 party system and the gang mentality keeping a libertarian out of the debates has left a choice once again of the less of 2 evils.
One thing is for sure, any vote cast will be one for evil, and evil will once again prevail.
Voluntarist

United States

#41667 Oct 8, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
People will vote their wallets, their wallets are empty under Obama, mittens (if he is smart) will hammer that home and win.
Not that it matters, Goldman Sachs owns both horses.
former res

Broomall, PA

#41668 Oct 8, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
People will vote their wallets, their wallets are empty under Obama, mittens (if he is smart) will hammer that home and win.
Not that it matters, Goldman Sachs owns both horses.
Obama better represents me and the size of my wallet.

Also, why go back to the policies that sent us into the '08 recession?

Wouldn't make much sense to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Israel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 22 min YesWeCan 68,357
Fiji says 43 soldiers captured in Golan Heights 1 hr Jeff Brightone 1
Facing Islamist threats, some Arab nations tilt... 1 hr Jeff Brightone 1
UK Jews feel anti-Semitic backlash 1 hr supersonic boom 1,396
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 hr Tuco Blondie 117,957
Netanyahu says Israel will respond forcefully e... 2 hr danetoo 163
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 3 hr bmz 36,744
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Israel People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••