Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Hello,

Peter Jacob is my Grandfather. I thought that if I were to find his original birth certificate, then I would be able to possibly find out his mother's name and father's name. Below is the info I have:

Petros Jacopa, was born on May 15, 1891, in Taviriz, Persia. He spoke Assyrian. His father died when he was very young and no one knows what his name was for sure. His mother, Miriam, married a second time to an elderly man, who was probably a farmer. He had other children, and treated Peter like a farmhand. He lived with his step-family until, most likely, age 18 yrs., when he moved to Russia. He lived in a town called Urmie for about one or two years. I was told that his mother eventually died in an earthquake.(Have no idea which one, and where, except that I assume it was there somewhere in Persia (Iran.)

He immigrated to America on February 4, 1911, departing from the Port of Libau, Russia on a ship called the "Birma". The ship was part of the Russian East-Asiatic Steamship Co. Ltd.-- The Russian-AmericaLine. The ship's list, or Manifest, was 18, the number on the ship's list or manifest was 28. The date of the ship's departure is listed asFebruary 21, 1911, as reported at the U.S. Public Health and Marine Hospital Service Medical Department Ellis Island, N. Y., March 13, 1911.Thus the trip took about 20 days.

On a document in Libau, Russia, it stated that Peter was examined on February 13, 1911, at age 22 yrs., by Dr. C. M. DeForest, P.H. & M.H.Serv. USA Act. Asst. Surg. Peter was found to not have any quarantinable diseases.

Peter became a Naturalized U.S. Citizen on January 13, 1928.
The document was signed by Charles M.Bates, Clerk, Dist. Court of the U.S.
Northern Dist. of Illinois; Petition, Volume 278, Number 44924,#2720985Certificate of Naturalization.

Peter died on January 21, 1940 in Chicago, IL.

Thanks.
Toni Thiele

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Toni Thiele wrote:
Hello,
Peter Jacob is my Grandfather. I thought that if I were to find his original birth certificate, then I would be able to possibly find out his mother's name and father's name. Below is the info I have:
Petros Jacopa, was born on May 15, 1891, in Taviriz, Persia. He spoke Assyrian. His father died when he was very young and no one knows what his name was for sure. His mother, Miriam, married a second time to an elderly man, who was probably a farmer. He had other children, and treated Peter like a farmhand. He lived with his step-family until, most likely, age 18 yrs., when he moved to Russia. He lived in a town called Urmie for about one or two years. I was told that his mother eventually died in an earthquake.(Have no idea which one, and where, except that I assume it was there somewhere in Persia (Iran.)
He immigrated to America on February 4, 1911, departing from the Port of Libau, Russia on a ship called the "Birma". The ship was part of the Russian East-Asiatic Steamship Co. Ltd.-- The Russian-AmericaLine. The ship's list, or Manifest, was 18, the number on the ship's list or manifest was 28. The date of the ship's departure is listed asFebruary 21, 1911, as reported at the U.S. Public Health and Marine Hospital Service Medical Department Ellis Island, N. Y., March 13, 1911.Thus the trip took about 20 days.
On a document in Libau, Russia, it stated that Peter was examined on February 13, 1911, at age 22 yrs., by Dr. C. M. DeForest, P.H. & M.H.Serv. USA Act. Asst. Surg. Peter was found to not have any quarantinable diseases.
Peter became a Naturalized U.S. Citizen on January 13, 1928.
The document was signed by Charles M.Bates, Clerk, Dist. Court of the U.S.
Northern Dist. of Illinois; Petition, Volume 278, Number 44924,#2720985Certificate of Naturalization.
Peter died on January 21, 1940 in Chicago, IL.
Thanks.
I'm trying to find some information or be directed to whom I may write to for information concerning my Grandfather, Peter Jacob (Petros Akopa), who states he was from Tabriz, Persia. From his "Birma" Immigration Ship Manifest that I found on the Ellis Island site, I found he was coming to meet his brother "J Jacoob" and that the relative in his homeland was Bauaija Akopa from Urmia, Persia. Peterís mother was always known to us as Marion. Just recently, I found that her name may have been Marion Marahuma. She died in an earthquake there in her Persia, now known as Iran.
I'm trying to find his Birth Certificate and learn of his family in Persia. So, I have tried this Genealogy site to see if anyone might have information that would help me clear up these questions.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Iran Forum right now

Search the Iran Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 1 hr susanblange 36,409
Will the Islamic Republic face economic collapse? 7 hr Peace for all 2
Bahraini boy need for temporary married in Mash... 7 hr Peace for all 2
Iran rejects arms shipment, supply of fighter j... 7 hr Peace for all 3
Iran Day Tours 7 hr Peace for all 2
Do Iranians/Persians hate Arabs? 7 hr Peace for all 2
Iran connection: Why are Gaza rockets reaching ... Fri Ragnar The Impaler 2
•••
•••