Since: May 08

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2008

About three weeks ago I meet a young honduran women in the city where I live. We became very close in the time that followed and I found myself totally smitten by her. Then a couple of nights ago we were having a friendly talk and she asked me about a female friend from my past, someone who I never had any romantic envolvement with, I explained that she had always been just a friend and there was nothing more to it. She then asked me another question but due to the difficulty i have understanding her sometimes I jokingly answered with some cute comment, lets say that was a major mistake! Currently she is very mad at me and doesn't want to see or talk to me. I realize that not knowingly I have hurt her and as it stands I don't know how to go about fixing it.

I would welcome any and all suggestions, thanks.
gringo

San Pedro Sula, Honduras

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2008

Latin women have severe tempers and are very very jealous. They sometimes take offense at things that are not meant to be offensive. They also do not want to be criticized about poor pronunciation of English. Honduras is a "macho" country and most od the women are badly treated. Depends if she is from a wealthy family or a poor family, very few middle class here. If she is from a wealthy family don't waste your time with her. If a poor family it will take a lot of time to earn her trust, but it is worth it.

“Love has no borders!”

Since: Aug 07

Spring Valley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2008

he is correct. The culture differences can be difficult but always worth it.

Since: May 08

Gatineau, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2008

Checked my cell phone after work last night and saw that my honduran lady friend had called so I dropped by her work to see what she wanted. When I got there she wouldn't talk or even look at me? I asked her why she called and she wouldn't answer?? I guess it's best at this time to just walk away and not look back.

It's such a shame to see one little misunderstanding come between something that might have been very special. I realize the mistake was mine and it bothers me for not being able to make amends for it.

“Love has no borders!”

Since: Aug 07

Spring Valley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2008

Unfortunately she probably thinks that you were laughing at her. i have come to understand that sarcasim is misunderstood in other cultures. i do the same thing with my husband and he always gets upset until I explain what I was saying. Don't take it to heart. She may get over it sooner or later.
Heartbroken in Ohio

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2008

I'm sorry things are working out that way but hopefully they'll gt better. I remember one time I told my ex to "hold his horses" because he was rushing me. He got a funny look and called me crazy because he said, "I don't have any horses." I tried not to laugh because I didn't want to offend him but had forgotten that he doesn't know all our expressions. I explained later what it meant and we laughed it off. Hopefully you lady friend will learn whatever you said wasn't meant in a bad way and will come around :)
Alex

San Pedro Sula, Honduras

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2008

JC_ollins wrote:
Checked my cell phone after work last night and saw that my honduran lady friend had called so I dropped by her work to see what she wanted. When I got there she wouldn't talk or even look at me? I asked her why she called and she wouldn't answer?? I guess it's best at this time to just walk away and not look back.
It's such a shame to see one little misunderstanding come between something that might have been very special. I realize the mistake was mine and it bothers me for not being able to make amends for it.
Maybe she's just looking for attention. I think you should ask her directly why is she behaving that way, and that you want an honest answer. And that you didn't mean to hurt her with your former comments - it was a misunderstanding.

Just be honest and straightforward with her, but always be polite and considerate!
wayne

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2011

Man I call relate!!!! just the other day I was talking with my Honduran lady who I care about and who cares about me and boy did I make a mistake that was entirely unintended. We always joke and laugh a lot and on this occassion I happen to be eating something and she ask what I was eating. Since she calls me hyper whenever I eat chocolate jokingly I said " non of your business". Suddenly, she became quiet and said " I will call you later." I knew she was upset but I wanted to give her lots of space. After an hour or so I sent a text followed by a phone call. She was indifferent to what I was saying so I knew she was still upset. Later that afternoon she sent me a text that said "rimas". Well,I am just learning to speak spanish so I did not know what this meant. I went to a spanish dictionary but it was not very helpful.( At least the one I was looking through) Later that afternoon she texted me and stated that I mad her cry. This sadden me because I never, ever want to unset anyone. When I asked her what I said like all of our serious conversations I had to practically pull teeth to get the answer. What I learned was that by my saying " non of business" it cut her to the bone. I tried explaining that we in America when having fun with friends use expressions that we believe are harmless. I apologized profusely and all I got was she did not believed I cared for her anymore. I talked and talked and eventually she made a joke and we continued as if nothing had happened. I took a moment to explain that there are things I do not know about Honduran culture and that from time to time I may make a mistake in what I say. I asked her to allow me explain before taking anything I say personally.

I do worry though about our cultural differences. She tells me she loves me ( she watch me without my knowing for 3 years) but we have not been together for more that a couple of months. How can I find out more about the Honduran culture?
Melissa

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2011

I hope to God my husband used his head n not the little head cuz I don't like to share my man.
friend

Cancún, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2012

dont be an idiot. honduran women are used to a macho culture. from what i have observed they have they mentality do dominate men if they let themselves. if u want to keep a honduran woman, be dominat and in control. dont let ger desrespet or else she will try to dominate you. one thing, when they get to love you they can be really defensiva and over protective of you
patrick

Madison, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

this last post is speaking the truth. As a guy you decide where and what to eat, where to go and what time to see each other. If you say, I don't care or wherever you want to go, they will soon take advantage of you or worse they will see you as not the guy for them and sneak around and find a new guy. This is speaking from an experience I had and have not made the same mistakes since dating latin women. I'm not saying be mean, but they like being taken care of.....so be the man. Most will tell you they love you very soon but wait it out and after having experiences together and a year or so, they'll be yours and yes, possessive.
Mr wan

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

honduras women are nuts they see you and they say to every one you are their man even if you dont know her or met her trust me they are the worst of ltin women to be involved with once while at work this honduras woman kept telling evry one i was hers and when i spoke to another woman she growled at me , I mean who do these screw ball women think they are?/ if she is that short fused and paranoid do yoru self a favor drop her like a plague she will drive you nuts she will question every minuite of your life she will call your cell 20 times a day she will acuse you of cheating on here whne your not in her site .
this one Iwas talking about was named duma one of her co workers said that would be doris in english she replied ( duma) MY NAME IS DUMA )
Even when i said no thank you she still persisted and went and told her family I dissed her when i didnt trying to get a fight started in my view duma is a pig ugly fat ill tempered and a poor latin trash DUDE I DONT CARE HOW HOT SHE IS she will bring hell to yoru life she is trash wanta latinlady get yoru self a Peruvian woman .

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••