About orphanages in Haiti

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

About this report This four-part series, by Staff Writer Tim Collie and Staff Photographers Mike Stocker and Joe Amon, is the Sun-Sentinel's latest special report on the impact of AIDS, this time focusing on ...
Comments
41 - 52 of 52 Comments Last updated Feb 19, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Courtney

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2010

I feel so bad for all the orphans they are all now sleeping unerneath a pick up truck poor kids. hope someone can get there soon and can help them quickly.
cotton

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2010

can you give me the name of a reputable orphanage in Haiti ? my email is cottonsgvlga@aol.com
cotton

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2010

Harv wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree to an extent. However child sponsorship is not just sponsoring children in orphanages. We have built 3 schools in remote mountain areas and have a sponsorship program that provides money to feed the children each day (reduces the burden to feed for parents) provides medical treatment, pays wages for teachers, cooks etc. We also travel to Haiti regularily and purchase food packs at a local market store and provide these packs to the mothers of sponsored children. Each pack contains a gallon of oil, a mammit of rice, mammit of beans, mammit of corn meal, a mammit of sugar, a tin of powdered milk, and a tin of tomatoe paste. We provide bars of laundry soap, vitamins and other personal vcafre items as well. I pay about $21 US for each food pack. We have also built houses for two homeless families. We do this independent of the government so we know 100% goes to the familes and kids, and our supporters appreciate that. We have built wonderful relationships with the families of the sponsored children. We visit them at least once or twice a year and have been doing this for about 3 years now. We often bring teams into Haiti made up of sponsors of children. The meetings between sponsor and child are incredible for both the families and the sponsors.
i would love to get involved in your program . can you give me some details and what you are doing now with the earthquake. I have a team of moms I am putting together to come down and help when things settle down . please let me know if we can get involved. my email is cottonsgvlga@aol.com
flam1mom-aolcom

Wallburg, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2010

I am interested in getting info on how to start an orphanage in haiti. My husband and I as our children are seriously considering relocating to the country. Any help would be appreciated.
Have Faith

Salem, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2010

In 1976, I spent a year helping out in an orphanage
in Port-au-Prince--I'm wondering if anyone has heard
of the Orphelinat de la Misericorde? I have not kept
in touch. I pray daily for the children and homeless
people in Haiti.
Hillary

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2010

Have Faith wrote:
In 1976, I spent a year helping out in an orphanage
in Port-au-Prince--I'm wondering if anyone has heard
of the Orphelinat de la Misericorde? I have not kept
in touch. I pray daily for the children and homeless
people in Haiti.
I have never been there, as I have heard that haitins carry AIDS. Be careful if you ever go back
hILLARY

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

I hate to tell you but aids is everywhere. We go where God directs us to go , there is no other criteria to condsider .
Hillary

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

hILLARY wrote:
I hate to tell you but aids is everywhere. We go where God directs us to go , there is no other criteria to condsider .
cotton, all I was doing is trying to warn people to be careful of the AIDS in Haiti. You must be a very narrow minded, hate filled, bitter little person
Dorinne J

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2010

I stumbled upon this site while doing research on how my family & I can provide assistance to the children of Haiti. We started talking about this a while back, but due to the current events we decided to make this a priorityf-I am haitina living in the United States and I have to say many of the comments that I have read are quite sad. I am looking for someone who can put in touch with someone in the Miami or FLL area that does work directly with the Orpahanages because we want to ensure that those in needs are really going to benefit. We have been collecting quite a few Items but when I try to contact the Donation Centers many are saying they are not shipping anything as of yet? If you can help I can be reached via email:Dorinnedxtc@yahoo.com
Bonnie

Concord, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2011

My husband and I are planning a move to Haiti in 2012. We are going to be opening a children's home. We are doing this with our own funds and have no desire to do adoptions. Our goal is to raise the children, teach them to farm, give them an education and help them to become productive adults in Haiti. If we are able to work with their parents that will be even better. I know that God is going to bless this project. It has been my dream for 22 years to do this and God has just opened the door for me.
Ruth

Hudson, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

While it is true that some orphanages exploit children for profit and it is also true that some parents leave their children in orphanages in hopes that they will have a better life there are some people out there who have all the paperwork needed and are registered with the IBESR to legally put children up for adoption. In order for a child to be legally up for adoption an orphanage must have their birth certificate and the parents death certificate and must be certain that no other family is willing or able to care for the child.

Please don't write off all orphanage as money making scams. Some have well intentions and completely legal. It is important that you do your research before adopting a child just as you would do your research before buying a car. Some of these children truly have no family and would love to be taken home by a loving family. I am currently in the mix with a corrupt organization that dumped off a bunch of orphans in Citi Solei. We are currently in the process of trying to build a safe and LEGAL place for these kids to grow and learn and if they can be put up for adoption we are hoping to get them adopted.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Hillary wrote:
<quoted text>
cotton, all I was doing is trying to warn people to be careful of the AIDS in Haiti. You must be a very narrow minded, hate filled, bitter little person
Also, i don't know if, RESTAVECS have been talked about, but it is a form of child slavery, that is very comman in Haiti? I know of it, but am sure that others on here, know more?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Haiti Forum right now

Search the Haiti Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
International premium rate numbers 12 hr parascorp8 1
Carnival of Flowers: Champs de Mars awaits... Tue David Louis 1
Haitian chat room, Meet new people, fet bel ti ... (Aug '10) Jul 28 Chadrac 173
why dominican women love haitian men? (Dec '09) Jul 26 lovehaiti 717
why are they calling haitians latinos? (Nov '08) Jul 26 Granatapfel 477
Dominican were a slave to Haiti for 20 years (Jan '10) Jul 25 Some dude 31
satta matka (Dec '12) Jul 25 jain 220
•••
•••