About orphanages in Haiti

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

About this report This four-part series, by Staff Writer Tim Collie and Staff Photographers Mike Stocker and Joe Amon, is the Sun-Sentinel's latest special report on the impact of AIDS, this time focusing on ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 52 Comments Last updated Feb 19, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
zoticus7

Montréal, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2007

Judged:

are you sure your orphanage is a ophage or is it a home for kids that the parents look for the whites to raise feed and educate
rene

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2007

zoticus7 wrote:
are you sure your orphanage is a ophage or is it a home for kids that the parents look for the whites to raise feed and educate
"Very good question" and yes! most so called orphanages in haiti are children homes. Most registered orphanages are mearly money making machines. Children from poor families sign over there children so that it becomes legal for the so called "orphanages can adopt out the child at a price. It was noted a few years ago that selling children in haiti was a bigger business than cocaine, so that should tell you something. Most children are not treated well as they live behind large cement walls with no social services to check up on them. I knew of two sisters that rented 2 houses and had up to seven christian missions thinking they were the lone suporters of the orphanages. Depending on what mission was coming in for a week! the children would be bounced back and forth between both houses a few streets away from each other. Its easy to tell whites that the childs parents are dead or any other story you want when the child is 1 yr. old. Using children to collect money is the #1 business in haiti. As in the lady begging for her child in her arm on the street. That child is not even hers and the child mother gets a percentage of the daily in take, while that poor child stayed in the hot sun all day. "Tell her that you will take the child and raise it for her and see her run..lol. Working in most corners of haiti, I could write a book just on orphanages and so called Pastors.
rene

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2007

As I have said; one thousand times before ! Every christian mission needs to have an orphanage so that they can take pictures and have a sad story in there news letter. Children sponsorship is the money maker. All they are doing is polluting haiti with cement walls that are called "Gods loves the children Orphanage" but the reality is; if they really want to help! then help the parents so that they can have the means to send there children to school, feed them, have ways to plant a garden so that they can help there own children. Look at the street children..so called cocorats! they are not orphans, they left because mom could not send them to school, give them food, so they look for a better life were? on the street, then everyone cries because 120 young boys are in jail. The gangs of today are yesterdays cocorat and the cocorats of today are yesterdays boys and girls mostly from the mountains. So !! Stop building childrens homes and kick the problem in the butt if you want to really make a difference and keep our children at home! If the usa needs lil blk babies, please find them elsewere, Ayiti wants to keep what we have left. Treat haiti the way you would like to have your country ran and sure that if a parent in the usa could not afford to feed her child, then the answer would not be to adopt out her baby, it would be to help her, so she could raise her own child. Giving up your child to an orphanage does not mean that they do not love there child, its the only help they have found, So if missions really want to help, help the parents, they are the ones that really need it, not the child.
Jenn

Riverton, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2007

I think that you are all a little crazy, USA mister CANADA can't just go in and give people money. Haiti's Government is so corrupt that the money would go staright to them. The people that open good running missions are a god send they leave there family and frineds to go and help small defenceless kids. I guess you don't know that in Haiti there unemployment rate is 70% and they have no means to buy birth control. Some of them need to give them away so they won't die. If you want to put your money where your mouth is then you go save the world. I know that any person from the USA that takes in a Child is giving that baby more than he would of ever had. A CHANCE AT LIFE!!! I give it to all the people that opened your home and loved those children. You are good people.
rene

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2007

Jenn wrote:
I think that you are all a little crazy, USA mister CANADA can't just go in and give people money. Haiti's Government is so corrupt that the money would go staright to them. The people that open good running missions are a god send they leave there family and frineds to go and help small defenceless kids. I guess you don't know that in Haiti there unemployment rate is 70% and they have no means to buy birth control. Some of them need to give them away so they won't die. If you want to put your money where your mouth is then you go save the world. I know that any person from the USA that takes in a Child is giving that baby more than he would of ever had. A CHANCE AT LIFE!!! I give it to all the people that opened your home and loved those children. You are good people.
Sister! Sister! You ganna tell ME! about the Unemployment rate in Haiti?? You ganna tell me about orphanages in Haiti and how corrupt the govertment is? Umh! Your right! i cannot save the world, will let you do it, when your ready to "buy" a child, let me know and maybe I can give you a 2 for 1 sale.
Lori

Cedar Grove, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2007

Rene is absolutely correct about the orphanages. Having seen for myself how Americans readily respond to a "homeless" child but could care less about the unemployed father or the widow or the child who can not go to school, I have personally heard comments when I show the photos if I do not have enough "needy" pictures in the presentation. So, when we start to get healthier and better, we loose the interest and have to start all over again. I have to continue to find ways to raise the monies so programs can continue, and often it takes the right amount of orphanage slides to do it. I have been so frustrated with that and how it limits the healing that comes to a halt when we start to look past the hungry child. I know that the child is for sale and exploited greatly. How I wish we could feel so for the abandoned elderly or the unemployed.
rene

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2007

Lori wrote:
Rene is absolutely correct about the orphanages. Having seen for myself how Americans readily respond to a "homeless" child but could care less about the unemployed father or the widow or the child who can not go to school, I have personally heard comments when I show the photos if I do not have enough "needy" pictures in the presentation. So, when we start to get healthier and better, we loose the interest and have to start all over again. I have to continue to find ways to raise the monies so programs can continue, and often it takes the right amount of orphanage slides to do it. I have been so frustrated with that and how it limits the healing that comes to a halt when we start to look past the hungry child. I know that the child is for sale and exploited greatly. How I wish we could feel so for the abandoned elderly or the unemployed.
" When I see a country, I see a village.
" When I see a village, I see a people.
" When I see a people, I see a child.
" When I see a child, I see a soul.
and a soul is what makes up a country, If the answer to any poor country is to take away there children, then what country will be left? Is the answer to a hungry child, a tall cement wall around her and call it a childrens home? Is the answer to family poverty is to sell one of there children, so the others can live? Please! Do not mix the christian thing to do, with the right thing to do. The answer to any poor child, is to help the parent. If we help the grandmother that so wants to raise the child after loosing her daughter, does that make that child an orphan? An orphan is a child that cannot find anyone to give it love but a stranger. Lets make sure that we are really the only stranger that can give that child love, before we adopt them out of the country. We have seen how the Vietnames so called orphans, affect the child as an adult and the families left behind in Vietnam, Lets not make the same mistake with Haiti.
Lori

Cedar Grove, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2007

Those words I will tape up for good reminders. Thanks for helping keep us focused.
We have made way too many mistakes. When will we learn from them?
rene

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2007

Lori wrote:
Those words I will tape up for good reminders. Thanks for helping keep us focused.
We have made way too many mistakes. When will we learn from them?
Hi Lori,, Try and get in touch with me sometimes on the weekend, have ideas to run with you...take care. thanks for the reply.
zoticus7

Montréal, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2007

Judged:

well my good people i have lived in Haiti for a long time and i can tell you many so called missionaries that do adoption are makeing a lots of money under the umbrella of some kind of church . i my self deal with all those kids that no one wants. mental retardation mongilod, cerabypalsy, waterhead"hydrocephec " aids and the ones the hospital put out because they take too long to die,& they need the bed. I struggle day to day for foor and meds for the hopeless and helpless i havent done any adoptions ,that can add to my monatry needs. most of my kids are too gross looking for americans to touch. and rarely when i have visitors no one wants to hold a baby with a hughe head . or a C.P. kid that cant respond and slobbers on its self. or the fear to touch a aids or child with leporsy dumped at the gate. to me i can see the face of Christ in every broken foul looking child.
Lori

Cedar Grove, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2007

I appreciate the fact that you are doing something very right in Haiti. I know that it takes an enormous heart to reach out and touch children like that, to see past the physical and right into their hearts. I applaud you now and know it that it is a big job and expense that one day will be greatly rewarded. Hang in there and keep fighting the good fight. May you find the finances, strength and energy to continue such a good thing.
rene

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2007

zoticus7 wrote:
well my good people i have lived in Haiti for a long time and i can tell you many so called missionaries that do adoption are makeing a lots of money under the umbrella of some kind of church . i my self deal with all those kids that no one wants. mental retardation mongilod, cerabypalsy, waterhead"hydrocephec " aids and the ones the hospital put out because they take too long to die,& they need the bed. I struggle day to day for foor and meds for the hopeless and helpless i havent done any adoptions ,that can add to my monatry needs. most of my kids are too gross looking for americans to touch. and rarely when i have visitors no one wants to hold a baby with a hughe head . or a C.P. kid that cant respond and slobbers on its self. or the fear to touch a aids or child with leporsy dumped at the gate. to me i can see the face of Christ in every broken foul looking child.
Dear friend of haiti, After reading your comment, I can relate to what you are saying, however! not knowing much about your org. in haiti, I have to ask, why? Why are you not receiving help if any? If you are doing the work that you are mentioning, there are many ngo and private org. that would be pleased to help. I realize that most chirstian missions will not help you cause they seem to stick more with there own church or mission name, been there, bouth the T-shirt. However on a lighter note; would like you to get in touch with me with the "name of your project, location and anything else you can add for more info. I will be sure to check in on you in haiti and will do everything in my power to help in anyway we can and let you in on some contacts that can. My email address is: rene_rene10@hotmail.com Awaiting your reply and thank you for doing your part in helping haiti. Rene'
zoticus7

Montréal, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2007

rene i hope when you are in haiti you come for a visit. please check your e-mail. i have responded. but i am new at e-mail. my address is Zoticus7@yahoo.com uk blessings to all. zoticus7
rene

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2007

zoticus7 wrote:
rene i hope when you are in haiti you come for a visit. please check your e-mail. i have responded. but i am new at e-mail. my address is Zoticus7@yahoo.com uk blessings to all. zoticus7
"hello friend, Thank you for the invitation and will check my email and place you in mine. Will keep in touch....take care of yourself during these bad times in haiti and "don't give up" Your all they have.
Therese

Woodstock, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2007

I'm reading the multiple posts on this website that I truely stumbled upon by accident and I'm so moved and upset that so much isn't told about the orphages, how can I help? My 11 year old son Christian has been doing a fundraiser for having a well dug it haiti we are working with the organization "Food For The Poor" his funraising goes until the end of this month in May of 2007, please fill us in or direct us. Anxiously looking forward to hearing from anyone with more information and directive insight.
monica

Wheaton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2007

Therese-I recently returned from Haiti and can tell you from seeing the need up close--wells and clean water are VERY needed by the people there.

I only have experience with 1 orphanage in Port au Prince and saw how hard the Sisters tried to find the parent of a child that was abandoned at their gate. They involved the nearby neighbors and community thru word of mouth and pictures. They receive no money for any of the care they give--it is all provided thru donations.

Please do not get discouraged when you read some of the comments people make on this forum. There are many good people who are focused on helping. I, personally, have gotten a lot out of the things some people have shared on this site and talked to many people in Haiti about what I've learned in order to get their input.

Congratulate and thank your son on his efforts to help the people of Haiti.
rene

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2007

Therese wrote:
I'm reading the multiple posts on this website that I truely stumbled upon by accident and I'm so moved and upset that so much isn't told about the orphages, how can I help? My 11 year old son Christian has been doing a fundraiser for having a well dug it haiti we are working with the organization "Food For The Poor" his funraising goes until the end of this month in May of 2007, please fill us in or direct us. Anxiously looking forward to hearing from anyone with more information and directive insight.
Hello Therese and thank you and your son. I see that you live in WI and there is a lady in here that does great work in haiti from your area. You will see her in here every so many times. She goes to haiti twice a year and is always looking for people interested in helping in any way or gathering up a group. Her name is lori and if you are interested, please email me at.. rene_rene10@hotmail.com and I will give you her contact number..bye and thanks again.
Lori

Cedar Grove, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2007

I am hoping some good comes from this discussion. If we pull together we can bring more hope to the people of Haiti. We all live in the same area. Networking does work!! We have to sift through the stuff that hinders us and strive to pan gold. It is there in the mountainous land of Haiti. Those of us who know it have found it there. Those who understand it know just what I mean. Keep it up team....to Him be the glory.
Harv

Wheatley, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2007

rene wrote:
As I have said; one thousand times before ! Every christian mission needs to have an orphanage so that they can take pictures and have a sad story in there news letter. Children sponsorship is the money maker. All they are doing is polluting haiti with cement walls that are called "Gods loves the children Orphanage" but the reality is; if they really want to help! then help the parents so that they can have the means to send there children to school, feed them, have ways to plant a garden so that they can help there own children. Look at the street children..so called cocorats! they are not orphans, they left because mom could not send them to school, give them food, so they look for a better life were? on the street, then everyone cries because 120 young boys are in jail. The gangs of today are yesterdays cocorat and the cocorats of today are yesterdays boys and girls mostly from the mountains. So !! Stop building childrens homes and kick the problem in the butt if you want to really make a difference and keep our children at home! If the usa needs lil blk babies, please find them elsewere, Ayiti wants to keep what we have left. Treat haiti the way you would like to have your country ran and sure that if a parent in the usa could not afford to feed her child, then the answer would not be to adopt out her baby, it would be to help her, so she could raise her own child. Giving up your child to an orphanage does not mean that they do not love there child, its the only help they have found, So if missions really want to help, help the parents, they are the ones that really need it, not the child.
I agree to an extent. However child sponsorship is not just sponsoring children in orphanages. We have built 3 schools in remote mountain areas and have a sponsorship program that provides money to feed the children each day (reduces the burden to feed for parents) provides medical treatment, pays wages for teachers, cooks etc. We also travel to Haiti regularily and purchase food packs at a local market store and provide these packs to the mothers of sponsored children. Each pack contains a gallon of oil, a mammit of rice, mammit of beans, mammit of corn meal, a mammit of sugar, a tin of powdered milk, and a tin of tomatoe paste. We provide bars of laundry soap, vitamins and other personal vcafre items as well. I pay about $21 US for each food pack. We have also built houses for two homeless families. We do this independent of the government so we know 100% goes to the familes and kids, and our supporters appreciate that. We have built wonderful relationships with the families of the sponsored children. We visit them at least once or twice a year and have been doing this for about 3 years now. We often bring teams into Haiti made up of sponsors of children. The meetings between sponsor and child are incredible for both the families and the sponsors.
rene

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2007

Judged:

Harv wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree to an extent. However child sponsorship is not just sponsoring children in orphanages. We have built 3 schools in remote mountain areas and have a sponsorship program that provides money to feed the children each day (reduces the burden to feed for parents) provides medical treatment, pays wages for teachers, cooks etc. We also travel to Haiti regularily and purchase food packs at a local market store and provide these packs to the mothers of sponsored children. Each pack contains a gallon of oil, a mammit of rice, mammit of beans, mammit of corn meal, a mammit of sugar, a tin of powdered milk, and a tin of tomatoe paste. We provide bars of laundry soap, vitamins and other personal vcafre items as well. I pay about $21 US for each food pack. We have also built houses for two homeless families. We do this independent of the government so we know 100% goes to the familes and kids, and our supporters appreciate that. We have built wonderful relationships with the families of the sponsored children. We visit them at least once or twice a year and have been doing this for about 3 years now. We often bring teams into Haiti made up of sponsors of children. The meetings between sponsor and child are incredible for both the families and the sponsors.
Thank you for your reply and if you do agree to an extend, then you will understand that I am not talking about missions that are truly doing good work. There are many registered and un-registered orphanages that are doing great work and a life saving to those children. I have worked in haiti for the pass 25 yrs. The comment i placed was to try and educated some of the outsiders not to beleive what they see, instead! beleive what you know. Too many business missions in haiti are getting away with child trafficking. To many in the outside world that wants to adopt a child in haiti, don't really care who that child is, were it comes from and is it really an orphans. As i have mentioned before, selling of children to as orphans is number one money maker over cocaine. Of what i have read of your mission, you seem to be on the right track and I thank you for that. If you are paying 100% for all food aid, you should get in touch with USAID or food for the poor and see if you can get on there list to receive a hand with that. Make sure before you even place your request that you have a "dry, cement floor, secure, depot for storage. Have that in place before even doing the asking. Have ready profile notes to hand over to them with, short history of your mission, objective, programs or projects at hand and a few pictures if possible of your project, number of children that are receiving help at this time and "parent projects" you have started. This is the right time of year to get this in place as the school year is coming to a close. I hope that this helps a little and if you have any questions or comments, feel free. Bless you for what you are doing for Haiti and pray that god will always direct you and keep you on track. Rene'

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••