Half Greek, half Turk

Posted in the Greece Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ercan

Malmö, Sweden

#1 Dec 4, 2007
My mother Greek, father Turk, but I see myself as a Turk.

Anyone else who are half Turk/half Greek?

What do you see yourself as?
erjon

Albania

#2 Dec 4, 2007
Im half greek/albanian

i have both passports albanian/greek

and im feel much more ALBANIAN
ZinbadAlive

Egypt

#3 Dec 10, 2007
Guys
I was as a tourist in Turky last August,
at a dinning Hall, there was a Greek tourist group, and after dinner, they danced with their music, sang with the Turkish Lady who was very clever in singing with every language representing the tourist groups at that large-spaced dinning Hall, except for the Japannesse.
So, she sang in Arabic to please us the Egyptians and also there was a Morrocan tourist group.

I see both the Greeks & Turks very close in their outlooks, only the Turks of the northern Black Sea coastal areas are fairer (whiter) than the rest of Turky/Greece.

However, the Greeks have their identity related to their being Orthodox Christians jumpingover Turky to be related with the Russians religous-wise while the Turks mostly related to the World of Islam.

Still, forgetting the religion, the music / the dancing make it hard for you to differentiate whether yu are watching Greeks or Turks!

PS. Both Mom & Dad used to tell me we are having Turkish ancestors.
bir shqiptari

Albania

#4 Dec 10, 2007
ZinbadAlive wrote:
Guys
I was as a tourist in Turky last August,
at a dinning Hall, there was a Greek tourist group, and after dinner, they danced with their music, sang with the Turkish Lady who was very clever in singing with every language representing the tourist groups at that large-spaced dinning Hall, except for the Japannesse.
So, she sang in Arabic to please us the Egyptians and also there was a Morrocan tourist group.
I see both the Greeks & Turks very close in their outlooks, only the Turks of the northern Black Sea coastal areas are fairer (whiter) than the rest of Turky/Greece.
However, the Greeks have their identity related to their being Orthodox Christians jumpingover Turky to be related with the Russians religous-wise while the Turks mostly related to the World of Islam.
Still, forgetting the religion, the music / the dancing make it hard for you to differentiate whether yu are watching Greeks or Turks!
PS. Both Mom & Dad used to tell me we are having Turkish ancestors.
well said!!
u are right!!
ZinbadAlive

Egypt

#5 Dec 10, 2007
bir shqiptari wrote:
<quoted text>
well said!!
u are right!!
Hi there
as yu are from Albania,

I watched on CNN, Live, how yu warmly received G W Bush when he visited yr country, Albania,

He, G W Bush, promised yu to see Cosovo as an independent nation,
so I think that is why yu received him with such warm feelings;

is there any progress or achievement in fulfilling his promise?
I wish to know.

thanks to you.
a so-called Epirote

Asti, Italy

#6 Dec 10, 2007
ZinbadAlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi there
as yu are from Albania,
I watched on CNN, Live, how yu warmly received G W Bush when he visited yr country, Albania,
He, G W Bush, promised yu to see Cosovo as an independent nation,
so I think that is why yu received him with such warm feelings;
is there any progress or achievement in fulfilling his promise?
I wish to know.
thanks to you.
Hi!
It's a pleasure to know people are interested in things about my co nationals.
there is a problemwith Serbian statement for Kosova,and USA&EU are giving the last tries to take an approval by serbs and russians,cos serbs have lots of war causing precedents.As it is obviously resulting impossible the accord with them,the Albanians of Kosova will declare elf independance and will be recognised as a state by USA&EU.so not only Usa will recognise Kosova,but even EU,Croatia,Macedonia,Bosnia,Tu rkey,...many countries except Serbia ,RUssia and their few allies.

Albanian in Italy
MissBallkan

Sheffield, UK

#7 Dec 10, 2007
a so-called Epirote wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi!
It's a pleasure to know people are interested in things about my co nationals.
there is a problemwith Serbian statement for Kosova,and USA&EU are giving the last tries to take an approval by serbs and russians,cos serbs have lots of war causing precedents.As it is obviously resulting impossible the accord with them,the Albanians of Kosova will declare elf independance and will be recognised as a state by USA&EU.so not only Usa will recognise Kosova,but even EU,Croatia,Macedonia,Bosnia,Tu rkey,...many countries except Serbia ,RUssia and their few allies.
Albanian in Italy
At this moment it is doubtful if EU as a body will recognise Kosovo. Perhaps yes perhaps no! though I have no doubt that friendly to the US states within it no doubt6 will (UK and Co).
However although I recognise the plight of Kosovars I have the feeling that we are about to open the pandoras box here! Changing borders in the Balkans is not a good idea as we have already seen. And you have to consider that previously Russia was indefferent! Not any longer! Can Russia really do anything now?? Hard to read!
But we are gradually entering a VERY unstable phase of world politics and this is NOT good omen!
These are just my thoughts!!!!
GamwTes ManadesSas

UK

#8 Dec 10, 2007
It depends.....Are you muzzlim or Christian?
a so-called Epirote

Asti, Italy

#9 Dec 10, 2007
EU perhaps wrote:
<quoted text>
At this moment it is doubtful if EU as a body will recognise Kosovo. Perhaps yes perhaps no! though I have no doubt that friendly to the US states within it no doubt6 will (UK and Co).
However although I recognise the plight of Kosovars I have the feeling that we are about to open the pandoras box here! Changing borders in the Balkans is not a good idea as we have already seen. And you have to consider that previously Russia was indefferent! Not any longer! Can Russia really do anything now?? Hard to read!
But we are gradually entering a VERY unstable phase of world politics and this is NOT good omen!
''Changing Balcan's borders''
Kosova was a province,a friendly name to call a colonny from serbs.The Albanians of Kosova had autonomy.It was in dispute in the 2 ww-s
,but in both serbia was very supported by the big powers,as we know,and the result is that it remained under them even for a while.
Maybe there are areas in the balcans that have minorities ,BUT not so divided from the state as Kosova from serbia,that had authonomy,was a province and the Albanian ''minority'' is so dominant and always had runned the country.
SO , for these reasons i think that seing Kosova as changing of the balcanic borders is a little exhagerated.

EU has the objective to take unical decisions in general and expecially in these kinds of politics.It puts in proof its stability.AND the friendly to the US states are in majority and ,what is more important,dominate the EU.
ZinbadAlive

Alexandria, Egypt

#10 Dec 11, 2007
EU perhaps wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of yr doubts are shared by me.
Turky is a live Model of How the West is cautious with the Moslem countries, reluctant to provide Turky with EU membership. The economy of Turky is very promising without EU membership, and will be even much stronger if allowed to join the EU. I don't see a reason for denying Turky EU membership but being an Islamic country, it is Secular when it comes to Government/Politics but still with Moslem majority.
MissBallkan

Wells, UK

#11 Dec 11, 2007
a so-called Epirote wrote:
<quoted text>''Changing Balcan's borders''
Kosova was a province,a friendly name to call a colonny from serbs.The Albanians of Kosova had autonomy.It was in dispute in the 2 ww-s
,but in both serbia was very supported by the big powers,as we know,and the result is that it remained under them even for a while.
Maybe there are areas in the balcans that have minorities ,BUT not so divided from the state as Kosova from serbia,that had authonomy,was a province and the Albanian ''minority'' is so dominant and always had runned the country.
SO , for these reasons i think that seing Kosova as changing of the balcanic borders is a little exhagerated.
EU has the objective to take unical decisions in general and expecially in these kinds of politics.It puts in proof its stability.AND the friendly to the US states are in majority and ,what is more important,dominate the EU.
Do you feel that any decission on Kosovo will have also implications on Tetovo-FYROM? Will the Kosovo idependence can act in the short or longer term as a centrifugal force for the Albainas there to request themselves some form of independence? And how to do expect the slavs there will react to such demand?
MissBallkan

Wells, UK

#12 Dec 11, 2007
GamwTes ManadesSas wrote:
It depends.....Are you muzzlim or Christian?
..what difference does it make for the subject we are discussing?
GamwTesManadesSa s

UK

#13 Dec 11, 2007
It makes all the diference in the world......
Greek=Christian
Turk=Muslim

.....You have to remember.....NOT EVERYONE AGREES WITH GLOBALISATON......including my self, and I have every right not to as we have freedom of speech in Europe. However, this does not make me a rascist! I just want my contry to keep its cultural and religious heritage, and be proud of it! Unlike the UK.....
MissBallkan

Ashton-under-lyne, UK

#14 Dec 12, 2007
GamwTesManadesSas wrote:
Greek=Christian
Turk=Muslim
....So what!!!!!!!!!!
a so-called Epirote

Asti, Italy

#15 Dec 12, 2007
GamwTesManadesSas wrote:
Greek=Christian
Turk=Muslim
.....You have to remember.....NOT EVERYONE AGREES WITH GLOBALISATON......including my self, and I have every right not to as we have freedom of speech in Europe. However, this does not make me a rascist! I just want my contry to keep its cultural and religious heritage, and be proud of it! Unlike the UK.....
however it is a middle eastarn mentality,not European anymore.It's apitty that Turkey is being religiously more tolerant than Greece,a historically european country.I know such things even by experience.
a so-called Epirote

Asti, Italy

#16 Dec 12, 2007
GamwTesManadesSas wrote:
Unlike the UK.....
thet's the point .UK is a good example of a developed European country.

“Torch Of Democracy”

Since: Apr 07

Salonika

#18 Mar 9, 2008
Being half greek and half turkish makes problems, because somtimes children grow up feeling confused. Many kids in this situation are looked down on by greeks and looked down on by turks, and this is because they are half of both.

The child is not to be made to feel like this, its not their fault, its the fault of the parents. We greeks and turks know the issues we have and the hate running through both sides. Dont bring children in this world as being both, because they end up suffering.
Serkan

Pittsburgh, PA

#19 Mar 9, 2008
AngelCity wrote:
Being half greek and half turkish makes problems, because somtimes children grow up feeling confused. Many kids in this situation are looked down on by greeks and looked down on by turks, and this is because they are half of both.
The child is not to be made to feel like this, its not their fault, its the fault of the parents. We greeks and turks know the issues we have and the hate running through both sides. Dont bring children in this world as being both, because they end up suffering.
I think that is mostly a Greek problem. I don't think anybody will be excluded in Turkey because they are half Turkish. Turkish culture is usually welcoming, not racist. So, if someone's one parent is Turkish and she/he feels Turkish, she/he will be accepted as Turkish by the community. This is even more true if it is the father who is Turkish.

Even the mother of Sultan Mehmed the Conquerer (of Istanbul) was a Greek. Yet, he is one of the very few cult figures in Turkish history.
Umut

Bad Lippspringe, Germany

#20 Apr 27, 2008
If you are egyptian with turkish ancestor, so you are from the mameluk, I like them, they where good warriors! And no, the greek and turk doesn´t looks same, wtf ?!? If there is a "greek" looking like turk, so just because he has got turkish ancestors, and besides, just about 30% of the people living in turkey are real turks...the rest is kurdish and strongmixed people. Mix it baby lol...yuck..
just a guest

New Windsor, NY

#21 Apr 27, 2008
Umut wrote:
If you are egyptian with turkish ancestor, so you are from the mameluk, I like them, they where good warriors! And no, the greek and turk doesn´t looks same, wtf ?!? If there is a "greek" looking like turk, so just because he has got turkish ancestors, and besides, just about 30% of the people living in turkey are real turks...the rest is kurdish and strongmixed people. Mix it baby lol...yuck..
shalom. mee ata? hayeem ata meydaber eevreet? eata meihven otee?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greece Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Greek=BIG FAT LIE 3 hr BISER BAlKANSKI 1
Lazy Greeks Lose Their Stolen Pensions (Apr '12) 4 hr Lazy Greeks 59
Macedonia defends use of constitutional name (Oct '07) 5 hr Filip II Reincarn... 505
Greeks and Related Ethnic Groups 15 hr European 5
Why do some Greeks look like Moors? 15 hr European 1
Are Greeks White? WTF (May '14) 16 hr Anoynmous 16
MAJORITY of TURKS ARE GREEKS RACIALLY (Oct '09) 16 hr Anoynmous 52
More from around the web