IHT Rendezvous: Horsemeat Scandal Grows More Serious and More Bizarre

Feb 25, 2013 Full story: FiveThirtyEight 44

As European governments struggle in vain to draw a line under the scandal over horsemeat being sold as beef, the affair seems only to be widening, in sometimes bizarre ways.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#1 Feb 25, 2013
Nothing wrong with horse meat, I've eaten it several times. Strong gamey taste and rather tough, but it's not like OMG - HORSE MEAT - AHHHHHHH!!!

“frequently laughing”

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

#2 Feb 25, 2013
JM_Brazil wrote:
Nothing wrong with horse meat, I've eaten it several times. Strong gamey taste and rather tough, but it's not like OMG - HORSE MEAT - AHHHHHHH!!!
I don't think that is the issue, selling it as beef is. Was it Jack in the box that was selling burgers with kangaroo in it and people freaked out?

It does make me wonder how much really is mislabeled or other ingredients are added with out us really knowing.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#3 Feb 25, 2013
Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think that is the issue, selling it as beef is. Was it Jack in the box that was selling burgers with kangaroo in it and people freaked out?
It does make me wonder how much really is mislabeled or other ingredients are added with out us really knowing.
Real UFO's; Unidentified Food Origins

Enter the McDonalds hamburger.

“You think so?”

Since: Nov 12

Greensburg, IN

#4 Feb 25, 2013
Alvin Birta

Medford, NY

#5 Feb 25, 2013
I think they eat horsemeat in Edmonton.
Donkey Estonkey

Hampton, VA

#6 Feb 25, 2013
It's like eating a cousin..

“Geaux Tigers!”

Since: Jun 12

Down on the bayou

#7 Feb 26, 2013
Starving people would be damnable happy to have horse meat.

“New & Improved..”

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#8 Feb 26, 2013
was always a bit scrutinous of the Galloping Gourmet
Orca Winfrey

Medford, NY

#9 Feb 26, 2013
I'm so hungry I can eat a hoof!!!
Johnhenry

Killingworth, CT

#10 Feb 26, 2013
We didnt have much money in the 50s so while we didnt eat the barn cats we did consume some a variety of roadkill critters that werent too splattered. And more than a few farm animals besides cows.
We as a culture or society should get over our repulsion of "other" protein sources. And quit freaking out over incidental nudity also....

“A *wink* and a smile!!”

Since: Apr 10

USA

#11 Feb 26, 2013
Before the Indians broke horses to ride, horsemeat was a food source for them as it has been for many.

I'm a horse owner and to the best of my knowledge I have never eaten horse nor do I want too.

My brother was stationed in Frankfurt Germany, there dog was a food source. Something else I don't want to try..

(gag)

Since: Nov 09

Podolsk, Russia

#12 Feb 26, 2013
I`m glad that Russia banned German meat.
Let Germans eat their horses themselves.

Since: Nov 09

Podolsk, Russia

#13 Feb 26, 2013
Ohio Cowgirl wrote:
My brother was stationed in Frankfurt Germany, there dog was a food source. Something else I don't want to try..
(gag)
Rats are food source for Germ men. lol.

“A *wink* and a smile!!”

USA

#14 Feb 26, 2013
Alexey25 wrote:
<quoted text>
Rats are food source for Germ men. lol.
And Cats for the Chinese, thats why they call it Kung Foo Kitty...:)
Habsburger

Austria

#15 Feb 26, 2013
Ohio Cowgirl wrote:
<quoted text> And Cats for the Chinese, thats why they call it Kung Foo Kitty...:)
and snakes for the russians, thats why they call it sibirian-breakfast

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#16 Feb 26, 2013
Ohio Cowgirl wrote:
Before the Indians broke horses to ride, horsemeat was a food source for them as it has been for many.
I'm a horse owner and to the best of my knowledge I have never eaten horse nor do I want too.
(gag)
I'm not sure the issue was horse meat being passed off as beef, etc. From what I understand from the articles horse DNA was found. This could be as simple as grinding horse meat, then not thoroughly cleaning the equipment before grinding other meats. Who knows how sanitary the equipment or what procedures are used in other countries.

“A *wink* and a smile!!”

USA

#17 Feb 26, 2013
rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure the issue was horse meat being passed off as beef, etc. From what I understand from the articles horse DNA was found. This could be as simple as grinding horse meat, then not thoroughly cleaning the equipment before grinding other meats. Who knows how sanitary the equipment or what procedures are used in other countries.
That is true. And I still don't knowningly want to eat horse..:)

Thats also been a rumor here in the states. Do you remember when they were saying Wendy's used ground up worms for their burgers.?

(gag)

“Denny Crain”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#18 Feb 26, 2013
Ohio Cowgirl wrote:
(gag)
They eat dog in Korea :(

“Denny Crain”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#19 Feb 26, 2013
Ohio Cowgirl wrote:
<quoted text> That is true. And I still don't knowningly want to eat horse..:)
Thats also been a rumor here in the states. Do you remember when they were saying Wendy's used ground up worms for their burgers.?
(gag)
Yes but they were fresh not frozen worms :)

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#20 Feb 26, 2013
Ohio Cowgirl wrote:
<quoted text> That is true. And I still don't knowningly want to eat horse..:)
(gag)
Seems I remember McDonalds being rumored as having worms in the McLean deluxe. Turns out it was seaweed,LOL.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Germany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The worst experience of my life: Germany (Dec '13) 5 hr Otto van Hapsburg 71
Hanau says goodbye to U.S. troops (Nov '08) 9 hr Bill08701 1,395
Forex News from InstaForex 9 hr InstaForex Gertrude 43
Why do I hate the Germans? (Feb '10) 13 hr banater schwabe 2,466
why do white german women love black men so much ? (Dec '08) 15 hr race traitor 2,004
British Spies Allowed to Access U.S. Data Witho... 19 hr peternelligan 1
The German Disease: Coming Soon to a Country Ne... Thu KaBooom und kaput 3

Germany People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE