why does germany have no big or great cities.

Posted in the Germany Forum

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
tra

UK

#1 Apr 9, 2012
I was just wondering why German cities are so small compared to London,Paris,Moscow. Does anyone have any thoughts on this.
tra

UK

#2 Apr 9, 2012
The biggest city in Germany is Berlin which is very small compared to other countries, also Berlin is very poor with a low average income for a developed capital, why is this
tra

UK

#3 Apr 9, 2012
Is it because Germany doesant have a financial industry for a city to grow around
tra

UK

#4 Apr 9, 2012
Or is it because big foriegn companies prefer to be headquartered in London Paris,Tokyo,new York because of germanys negative reputation. Maybe foriegn bankers, buisness just don't want to live, be based in Germany so its hard for German virus to grow in s globalised economy
tra

UK

#5 Apr 9, 2012
Or is it because German citys don't have the energy or buzz of big world cities so they don't get many tourists
tra

UK

#6 Apr 9, 2012
Maybe you should try to create a more modern vibrant city like London or new York, germanys never produced good music or movies or celebrities, it always seems to be UK and USA that dominate that and all popular modern culture, maybe Germany could try to compete with them or thoe I'm not sure if Germans understand about trends, cool, fasion. What do you think
tra

UK

#7 Apr 9, 2012
Why are German cities so small
tra

UK

#8 Apr 9, 2012
I've always found German cities to feel very cold and sterile. Maybe that's why there so small, because people just don't want to live there so German cities can't grow
tra

UK

#9 Apr 9, 2012
Maybe its because Germany was so far behind most other European countries for centuries so when London,Paris,Rome grew Germany was still backward so didant have cities to grow big
jen from brooklyn

New York, NY

#10 Apr 9, 2012
Why are you guys picking on Germany? I am going to visit Berlin soon and am very happy about it. I live in NYC, and am happy to go to a smaller city for a while. Some of you sound very ignorant. I always (well not always) have an open mind about traveling to other countries. I have good friends and relatives there that will be cool to meet. Just have fun and don't be so quick to judge. Have you ever been to London? I have and loved it. Smaller cities are charming, I believe.
tra

UK

#11 Apr 9, 2012
jen from brooklyn wrote:
Why are you guys picking on Germany? I am going to visit Berlin soon and am very happy about it. I live in NYC, and am happy to go to a smaller city for a while. Some of you sound very ignorant. I always (well not always) have an open mind about traveling to other countries. I have good friends and relatives there that will be cool to meet. Just have fun and don't be so quick to judge. Have you ever been to London? I have and loved it. Smaller cities are charming, I believe.
Big massive cities like London and new York are top world cities, the only 2 alpha++ cities in the world ate London and new York,.I know German cities can't match them but I still wonder why there so much smaller than London,nyc,la,Paris,tokyo
jen from brooklyn

New York, NY

#12 Apr 9, 2012
Yeah that's true. I guess it is what it is. It's a relief that Berlin is small...I need a change of pace!
hoax

Braunschweig, Germany

#13 Apr 10, 2012
There are serval reasons..

Germany is a Federal Republik supporting the development of any of the many german Citys.
But there are some Cities compound big Agglomerations like the Ruhr region. Many of them with Town privileges ages ago.
This is normal for cities in Europe :

There are 14 Towns in Germany with more than 1/2 Mio Citizen, in Italie, Poland and Spain each 6 Towns, in France 2 towns and in UK 3 towns.

so .. the better question is "why are London an Paris atypical big for Europe?"
tra

London, UK

#14 Apr 10, 2012
hoax wrote:
There are serval reasons..
Germany is a Federal Republik supporting the development of any of the many german Citys.
But there are some Cities compound big Agglomerations like the Ruhr region. Many of them with Town privileges ages ago.
This is normal for cities in Europe :
There are 14 Towns in Germany with more than 1/2 Mio Citizen, in Italie, Poland and Spain each 6 Towns, in France 2 towns and in UK 3 towns.
so .. the better question is "why are London an Paris atypical big for Europe?"
Wrong. In UK there are 6. London, Birmingham,Manchester,Liverpoo l,Leeds, and Glasgow. But Germany doesant have any great cities and I just wondered why. U.s.a is federal but they have big cities
hoax

Berlin, Germany

#15 Apr 10, 2012
@tra
I talk about the urban area of towns... so Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester are out of my scope. Look at the other EU States .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_cities_o... ..'medium size' cities are normal in germany & Europe.
USA isn't comparable to Europe.. most of the towns in Europe and germany are much older than the young history of USA.
In statistics about living quality the most top cities of the world are in Austria, Switzerland and Germany all small cities... so i will ask you :'Why live peoples in Megacities although they have a lower quality of living ?'.
Germanida

Drensteinfurt, Germany

#16 Apr 10, 2012
Why should a city be better just because it's bigger? Germany has some really rich cities that are versatile, rich in culture and sights, clean and are able to offer a good standard of living while in huge cities there are big slums or ghettos. Also Germany isn't a big country and living on the countryside here actually is pretty nice so people don't really see the need to go to the cities.
tra

UK

#17 Apr 11, 2012
hoax wrote:
@tra
I talk about the urban area of towns... so Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester are out of my scope. Look at the other EU States .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_cities_o... ..'medium size' cities are normal in germany & Europe.
USA isn't comparable to Europe.. most of the towns in Europe and germany are much older than the young history of USA.
In statistics about living quality the most top cities of the world are in Austria, Switzerland and Germany all small cities... so i will ask you :'Why live peoples in Megacities although they have a lower quality of living ?'.
The biggest city in Germany is Berlin and its also the poorest deprived city in western Europe if I'm not mistaken. Rich people prefer to live in London or paris
tra

UK

#18 Apr 11, 2012
hoax wrote:
@tra
Also its Australia,Canada and Norway that come at the top of the quality of living tables. Not germany
tra

UK

#19 Apr 11, 2012
hoax wrote:
@tra
I've just looked at that link and there's only 3 German cities at 1 million or more
hoax

Berlin, Germany

#20 Apr 11, 2012
@tra
"Also its Australia,Canada and Norway that come at the top of the quality of living tables. Not germany"
Sure .. but in my world we use sources to argue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_Livin...

"I've just looked at that link and there's only 3 German cities at 1 million or more"
I count 4 german cities with pop > 1 mio... next are uk, itály and spain each with 2 cities in the "million size" class.

"Rich people prefer to live in London or paris "
Yes .. the divison of Berlin at the cold war episode was not the best place for big money in the world. Today Berlin is poor but sexy, the Money of Germany is in Frankfurth, München, and Stuttgart. For IT Startups, Artist and the club szene is Berlin first adress in Europe ... London isn't affordable for the most.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Germany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Does Germany Feel About Multiculturalism? 1 hr Anon0moso 1
NSA snooping angers France; Obama forced to def... (Oct '13) 8 hr Swedenforever 3
why are german women mascular hooked nosed and ... 9 hr Reality 3
Executing rat working cop agents 9 hr Simon Adebisi 1
Colorado teen girls intended to join ISIS, auth... 13 hr Messed Up Mess 1
Dyman Associates Risk Management: 5 vinkkejä te... 19 hr hanstermunchoi 1
Forex News from InstaForex Tue InstaForex Gertrude 37

Germany People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE