21 years of independence - a success story - The Baltic Times

Aug 22, 2012 Full story: The Baltic Times 160

On August 20, Estonia celebrated its Independence Day from the Soviet Union. When those tumultuous times ended, the world gained 15 more independent states.

Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: Nov 09

Podolsk, Russia

#1 Aug 22, 2012
The world had lost a good country and gained 15 third world ones.
Pro Ukraine

Lake Worth, FL

#2 Aug 22, 2012
But Estonia is not independent. As soon as it could it gave all that up and joined the EU and NATO where it surrendered its very sovereignty to a multinational bureaucracy. I guess they prefer being part of an empire to being a democratic nation state in the Baltics.
Freedom

UK

#3 Aug 22, 2012
And it's now time for kaliningrad to follow suit!
Independence for Kaliningrad!!:-)
LOL

Waterford, CT

#4 Aug 22, 2012
Freedom for all!
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#5 Aug 23, 2012
It certainly has done better than Ukrainka or Balkan dogs. This is only because of Finnish and EU money though.
Dr Lecter

Toronto, Canada

#6 Aug 23, 2012
Freedom from Russian chauvinism, imperialism and colonialism has been a good thing, but the job is not finished.

Since: Nov 09

Podolsk, Russia

#7 Aug 23, 2012
Indeependence from filthy Canadian diaspora whould be much better!
Ukraine needs to condemn desendants of nazys from Canada as trators and war criminals.
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#8 Aug 23, 2012
How is it a good thing to be dependent on the West. Estonia just like backward Ukrainka will never be self reliant.
Dr Lecter

Toronto, Canada

#9 Aug 23, 2012
Estonia is doing quite well considering the legacy of Russia's genocide and colonialism in Estonia.
Warrior Poet UGX

Madras, OR

#10 Aug 23, 2012
Actually Alexey- the world lost one evil dictatorship and gained fifeen countries which now have the freedom to control their own destinies. I know that such an idea really sticks in your craw but that is the way it is. Deny all you want but the countries which broke away from the CCCP now have the right to control themselves. Whether they are sucessful is up to them. Either way, succeed or fail, THEY will determine that (if they can keep friend Putin's fingers out of the cookie jar.)
tarmo

Tallinn, Estonia

#11 Aug 24, 2012
Pro Ukraine wrote:
But Estonia is not independent. As soon as it could it gave all that up and joined the EU and NATO where it surrendered its very sovereignty to a multinational bureaucracy.
EU central organs are detaching from its constituents and EU might disintegrate soon. EU has always been just an experiment. Estonians are aware of it and will leave it, when necessary.

Geographically there are actually 3 groups of EU member states:
1. Atlantic/Baltic countries
2. Mediterranean (PIGS)/ Balkan countries
3. Central-european countries
Pro Ukraine wrote:
I guess they prefer being part of an empire to being a democratic nation state in the Baltics.
EU is not an empire. Yet.
Although EU is a big PITA/ACTA/SOPA in the ass.

NATO is good, for as long as it works to protect its members.
Without NATO, military budgets would rise through the roof.
tarmo

Tallinn, Estonia

#12 Aug 24, 2012
Lukashenko is Dr Phil wrote:
This is only because of Finnish and EU money though.
So why is the Finnish and EU money helpless to save the PIGS?
Does not compute.
tarmo

Tallinn, Estonia

#13 Aug 24, 2012
Lukashenko is Dr Phil wrote:
Estonia just like backward Ukrainka will never be self reliant.
Finland does not design and build its own nuclear reactors and does not mine its own fuel for those reactors - therefore Finland is not self-reliant.

Finland does not mine rare earth minerals for its electronics industry (mobile phones)- therefore Finland is not self-reliant.

Finland will never be self-reliant, that is not until estonian Kalevite kanged pojad come to the rescue again, as they did numerous times in the past.
Right?
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#14 Aug 24, 2012
tarmo wrote:
<quoted text>
So why is the Finnish and EU money helpless to save the PIGS?
Does not compute.
Because the corrupt greek goat herders are not as closely watched as you guys. I also think French and German weapon industry probably bought of the leaders. Anyway don't worry. Greece will be third world by the year 1915. These hairy morons if anyone deserve it.
Warrior Poet UGX

Eugene, OR

#15 Aug 24, 2012
I am so glad that Luky can make predictions of the future. Now if he could just figure out which century he is in-- but what do you expect from a Fintard?
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#16 Aug 24, 2012
Sorry my mistake. By 2015. It just that peasants like yourself make my blood boil. I know your type. You mouch around in superior countries bad mouthing the host nation and sucking it to dry. Oregon does this to richer states in USA such as ukrainkas and greeks do it to Europe. I like some of the balts but some can be a bit annoying. I don't wish balts to end up like Greece and I wish prosperity to their people but I also do not want EU pouring billions to them. Strong countries are able to survive with limited help. I know that some latvians and estonians volunteered to fight here but some fought with the Reds.
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#17 Aug 24, 2012
tarmo wrote:
<quoted text>
Finland does not design and build its own nuclear reactors and does not mine its own fuel for those reactors - therefore Finland is not self-reliant.
Finland does not mine rare earth minerals for its electronics industry (mobile phones)- therefore Finland is not self-reliant.
Finland will never be self-reliant, that is not until estonian Kalevite kanged pojad come to the rescue again, as they did numerous times in the past.
Right?
We do the check ups to those reactors. Certainly if it had been some one from the Eastern Bloc managing those, it would have been another Chernobyl by now. We produce own food and medicine. If you want to talk about transportation produces by other countries. I mean it is not like anyone here at the Baltics or Scandinavia invented the auto or airplane yet alone the train. We wont produce those because our industry is too heavily based on Nokia and the forest stuff. We can assemble cars and probably design it but forestry improves people. We also build a lot of ships for ya guys. Norways economy is based on oil, Denmarks on lego and beer and ours on Nokia and green gold. Now Estonia's is based on tourism and exports to Finland and Sweden.
tarmo

Tallinn, Estonia

#18 Aug 24, 2012
Lukashenko is Dr Phil wrote:
<quoted text>
Now Estonia's is based on tourism and exports to Finland and Sweden.
I suppose you know that being perfectly self-sufficient has its downsides - even for the USSR. So, it does not make sense to demean others for not being self-sufficient.

Exports to Finland and Sweden are very important, yes. I guess you could even say that Estonia is based on it now, although it constitutes less than 50% of Estonia's exports. But it didn't have to be so. And it does not have to be so forever. Estonia is an economically liberal country and it is normal to have strong economic ties with neighbours.

Are you suggesting that Estonia is too dependent on Finland and Sweden and that those two neighbours are shamelessly exploiting that reliance to their own profit?
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#19 Aug 24, 2012
tarmo wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose you know that being perfectly self-sufficient has its downsides - even for the USSR. So, it does not make sense to demean others for not being self-sufficient.
Exports to Finland and Sweden are very important, yes. I guess you could even say that Estonia is based on it now, although it constitutes less than 50% of Estonia's exports. But it didn't have to be so. And it does not have to be so forever. Estonia is an economically liberal country and it is normal to have strong economic ties with neighbours.
Are you suggesting that Estonia is too dependent on Finland and Sweden and that those two neighbours are shamelessly exploiting that reliance to their own profit?
It has but I just hate it when nations like Ukraine and Greece exploit the system. They are simply parasite nations like Portugal and rest of the Balkan clowns. I mean you know how it was in the soviet Eesti. Soviet Union expanded and nurtured the ukrainka peasants until 1991. When they were on their own the peasants crumbled. Rest of ya who have gotten the taste of soviet whip did much better. Would you like it if Ukrainians were still exploiting the Estonian productivity like in Soviet times. I am not an isolationist. I just don't want to belong to a Union that feeds parasites instead of squashing them.
Pro Ukraine

UK

#20 Aug 25, 2012
Lukashenko is Dr Phil wrote:
<quoted text>
It has but I just hate it when nations like Ukraine and Greece exploit the system. They are simply parasite nations like Portugal and rest of the Balkan clowns. I mean you know how it was in the soviet Eesti. Soviet Union expanded and nurtured the ukrainka peasants until 1991. When they were on their own the peasants crumbled. Rest of ya who have gotten the taste of soviet whip did much better. Would you like it if Ukrainians were still exploiting the Estonian productivity like in Soviet times. I am not an isolationist. I just don't want to belong to a Union that feeds parasites instead of squashing them.
Ukraine isn't even in the EU, you Fintard, it was Ukraine which fed the USSR, and Ukraine is home to much heavy industry.
In your country the only industry is cod canning, Nokia has been trounced by Samsung, Apple, etc and is a nothing company now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Finland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do finns hate turks????? (Sep '08) 13 min Wolftracks 281
GREECE MURDER - Kreikka murha Sat XAC 1
Finland is the most ghetto country. Sep 20 Wolftracks 2
getting your ex back Sep 20 Rex 3
3126 Cat Engine Problems (Mar '09) Sep 19 OLIVIA 49
finland sucks (Nov '11) Sep 15 Wolftracks 15
i would to find someone in finland (Jan '09) Sep 12 idah607 15
•••

Finland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••