|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

FALKLAND ISLANDS GOVERNMENT
PRESS RELEASE

20th November 2012

Reaction to comments made by Ambassador Morejón, Chairman of the United Nations Committee of 24

On 8th October 2012, Diego Morejón Pazmiño, Chairman of the United Nations Committee of 24 (Special Committee on Decolonisation, or C-24), carried out an interview with the Argentine national newspaper, Tiempo Argentino. In the view of the Falkland Islands Government, Señor Morejón was quoted making statements in this interview that, if reported accurately, would conflict with his role as an impartial Chairman. Subsequently, the United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon was reported in an interview with Tiempo Argentino on 10th November 2012 as saying that people should be able to plan and govern their own future, which is the main criteria of relevant UN bodies. The views earlier expressed by Señor Morejón are at odds with this.

The Falkland Islands Government voiced its concern to Señor Morejón on 18th October 2012 in the letter copied below, and also repeated previous invitations for him and other Committee members to visit the Islands. To date no response has been received.

“Dear Ambassador,

I write to you on behalf of the Members of the Falkland Island Legislative Assembly. We were concerned to read your comments on the Falkland Islands as reported recently in El Tiempo.

In the article you rightly say that the Falkland Islands are no longer a colony. The modern Falkland Islands are a self-governing overseas territory of the United Kingdom; a situation of our own choosing.

We are a thriving democracy with a modern Constitution. We elect our own Government in a democratic manner, make our own laws and run our own affairs. We neither receive funds from nor send monies to the United Kingdom.

As the Chair of a United Nations Committee you are bound to uphold the values of that institution and to act in a democratic and impartial manner. You state that you were chosen to Chair this committee as candidates in the Caribbean were thought to be biased.
However, it is clear from this report, and from other speeches in the past, that you have already decided that the Falkland Islands should be ceded to Argentina against the clear wishes of its people. This is in direct conflict with the United Nations principle of self determination.

You have visited Argentina so as to better inform yourself in this matter and yet you have failed to do what any impartial Chair would then do, namely to visit the Falkland Islands, speak to Elected Members and talk to our people.

You also claim that the United Kingdom has failed to respond to Argentina’s claims of militarisation of the Falkland Islands.

I would first remind you that the only reason there are military forces here is as a result of our country being invaded by Argentina in 1982. On the specific point, I would refer you to the written reply of 22nd February 2012 from the United Kingdom Government to the Government of Argentina.

The Decolonisation Committee is seen by most people as an outdated, ineffective and partial Committee and your actions as Chair have brought its reputation even further into disrepute. The elected Members of the Falkland Island Government yet again extend an invitation to you and other members of the committee to visit the Falkland Islands before the next meeting of the Committee so as to better inform yourselves of the real situation here.

Yours sincerely,

The Honourable Dr Barry Elsby MLA&#8232;

On behalf of Members of the Falkland Islands Legislative Assembly”
Terry Hill

São Paulo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

The C24 Chairman on the Falklands
"The English have no arguments to avoid dialogue on Malvinas"
Diego Morejon Pazmiño defended Argentina's position in the dispute and called to respect the UN resolutions for a bilateral negotiation. "There is a discussion of colonialism, invasion, but of sovereignty," he said.
By:
Javier Borelli
From New York.
I would say that until the issue is misplaced in the Falklands Decolonization Committee. Because we're not talking about a colony. Is Argentine territory that is occupied by a foreign power. It is a military occupation of a foreign power ".'s Forceful words emanating from the legitimate voice of the Committee on Decolonization of the United Nations, Diego Morejon Pazmino. Speaking to Tiempo Argentino, the Ecuadorian lawyer with over 30 years of diplomatic service and currently is of representing his country at the UN, stressed that dialogue between Argentina and the United Kingdom is the only way to resolve the conflict. Whilst acknowledging that there is little hope of that happening in the short term, Morejon Pazmino says that when there is "always win because Argentina has everything going for less force in England and the roof of the Security Council", the only decision-making body binding and where the British Isles have veto power.
Statements of Morejon Pazmiño not surprising. The man who is responsible for ending the colonial remnants not like rodeos. "They said formally 'Territories', but to me they are colonies", explains the terminology and set to continue the dialogue. "And for me it's a shame that in this century of colonization still talk. But the most serious problem is that there is no progress," he replies when asked how much more shall cease from the UN to fulfill the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples adopted by the General Assembly on December 14, 1960. In 1990 he tried to put pressure to speed up the process and declared the "Decade for the Eradication of Colonialism". In 2000 he proclaimed the second decade and in 2010 the third. "This committee can not become a sort of office job that offers a group of people in the United Nations. Moreover, according to the UN resolutions, the timeline for completing the work is 2020. Now, we achieved? Because for that there are two parts: the Committee should establish a line of contact and coordination with the so-called 'administering powers'(which is a colonialist his name, so that I use in my papers the phrase' so-called administrative powers ') to get to negotiate the surrender of those territories. However always stayed at the will of the powers ... "he stresses.
- Is it possible that the lack of progress is because 14 of the 16 "Territories" which recognizes the UN are occupied by countries of the Security Council?
-Could be. Because I've seen in the UN Secretariat a fear to confront powers. The advantage of a country that has no nuclear power or in the Security Council, such as Ecuador, is that we can talk in a much more candid. With the backing of the United Nations Charter. This gives us a way to discuss this issue. But in certain territories, not interested to talk about independence. Because they have achieved a standard of living and domestic growth is perhaps greater than they would have if they fend for themselves or if they have no external resources.
-The UK has dominion over ten of the 16 territories. What is your position?
-They say that people in those places are comfortable, love them. But that closes the door to a conversation. Because, for example, when the President of Argentina came last June, while the British took the proposal for a referendum and a white paper on the development of the overseas territories. And in that context I want to highlight the courageous words of Chancellor (Hector) Timerman, who reported on
Terry Hill

São Paulo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Decolonization Committee militarized management in the region. And he was not just a speech but a matter photographic and documentary. We do not share any doubt that this is so. And the English response to that complaint does not exist, I have not seen. It is dead silent. One expert gave me a map and told me: "If you see geopolitics, considering the English mentality, if you see the strategic location of the Falklands that gives out the possibility of the two oceans (Atlantic and Pacific) and then the Indian Ocean, which is more accessible than from England, this is an issue that they have in their blood. conquests since he was given the issue of global hegemony. "
- What is the Committee's position in relation to the petition of referendum in the UK?
-Countries that we have a legal origin in our region we use legal and historical documents for our defense. No of tanks, corvettes and submarines. And this (the Falklands) is an inheritance received by Argentina since ancient times in Spain. All titles correspond to Argentina. So this is not a discussion of colonialism, invasion or anything, but of sovereignty. I can not propose, as chairman of the Committee, to President Cristina Fernandez to talk about self-determination. There are over 40 UN resolutions urging both countries to sit down and talk bilaterally. I think that's the only way.
-That is the claim of the Argentine government also ...
-Is that the English have no arguments. Do not want to talk. We ourselves have initiated talks all things with them, but Malvinas is a thing apart. It is very difficult for them. If it were, it's likely that they asked a visit of the Committee, but it's something on my watch as chairman on the Committee is not going to give.
- Why?
-We would be recognizing the existence of a settlement. Recognizing that there are a people who want self-determination. But here there is no administrative power, because what's there is an invasion. A military occupation power. I have said in a couple of papers and bothered to the Secretariat. They get nervous. But it's true. If not, who is the colonizer: Argentina or England? The English come to talk about colonization of Argentina. That is an extreme, things the paper allows.
- Why Ecuador took over the chairmanship of the Committee on Decolonization?
-The request came from Member States. Many did not want the sector as president of the Caribbean. There are many reasons they said they listened more to the administering powers. The owner of St. Lucia (who presided before Ecuador) even had some personal problems with other representatives on these grounds. Then it was proposed to hold Ecuador, analyzed and accepted. The other is that, as Ecuador, we think the United Nations should give a message when something settlement. Make use of the famous letter of the United Nations to demonstrate that it serves.'
debate among ministers
The sovereignty of the Falkland Islands and the Inter-American Defense Board (IADB) were part of the debate yesterday in the meetings prior to the Tenth Conference of Defense Ministers of the Americas, which opens today.
The Argentine claim of sovereignty over the Malvinas Islands, supported by the majority of South American countries could not be included in the conference agenda, mainly because of opposition from the United States and Canada, which were folded Caribbean nations.
But the issue was discussed yesterday in an ad hoc commission, within a planting to create a "zone of peace in the South Atlantic," he said at a press conference Uruguayan Deputy Defense
francisco

Federal, Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

Uy como lloran!.

Necesitan más pañuelos para secar las lagrimas?.

Hace 47 años que lloran!. Que culpa tiene el mundo de limpiarse el culo con ustedes?.

No se pongan en la pocision de papel higenico y su problema se soluciona!

Asi de simple...
Deanstreet

Stanley, Falkland Islands (Malvinas)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Terry Hill wrote:
Decolonization Committee militarized management in the region. And he was not just a speech but a matter photographic and documentary. We do not share any doubt that this is so. And the English response to that complaint does not exist, I have not seen. It is dead silent. One expert gave me a map and told me: "If you see geopolitics, considering the English mentality, if you see the strategic location of the Falklands that gives out the possibility of the two oceans (Atlantic and Pacific) and then the Indian Ocean, which is more accessible than from England, this is an issue that they have in their blood. conquests since he was given the issue of global hegemony. "
- What is the Committee's position in relation to the petition of referendum in the UK?
-Countries that we have a legal origin in our region we use legal and historical documents for our defense. No of tanks, corvettes and submarines. And this (the Falklands) is an inheritance received by Argentina since ancient times in Spain. All titles correspond to Argentina. So this is not a discussion of colonialism, invasion or anything, but of sovereignty. I can not propose, as chairman of the Committee, to President Cristina Fernandez to talk about self-determination. There are over 40 UN resolutions urging both countries to sit down and talk bilaterally. I think that's the only way.
-That is the claim of the Argentine government also ...
-Is that the English have no arguments. Do not want to talk. We ourselves have initiated talks all things with them, but Malvinas is a thing apart. It is very difficult for them. If it were, it's likely that they asked a visit of the Committee, but it's something on my watch as chairman on the Committee is not going to give.
- Why?
-We would be recognizing the existence of a settlement. Recognizing that there are a people who want self-determination. But here there is no administrative power, because what's there is an invasion. A military occupation power. I have said in a couple of papers and bothered to the Secretariat. They get nervous. But it's true. If not, who is the colonizer: Argentina or England? The English come to talk about colonization of Argentina. That is an extreme, things the paper allows.
- Why Ecuador took over the chairmanship of the Committee on Decolonization?
-The request came from Member States. Many did not want the sector as president of the Caribbean. There are many reasons they said they listened more to the administering powers. The owner of St. Lucia (who presided before Ecuador) even had some personal problems with other representatives on these grounds. Then it was proposed to hold Ecuador, analyzed and accepted. The other is that, as Ecuador, we think the United Nations should give a message when something settlement. Make use of the famous letter of the United Nations to demonstrate that it serves.'
debate among ministers
The sovereignty of the Falkland Islands and the Inter-American Defense Board (IADB) were part of the debate yesterday in the meetings prior to the Tenth Conference of Defense Ministers of the Americas, which opens today.
The Argentine claim of sovereignty over the Malvinas Islands, supported by the majority of South American countries could not be included in the conference agenda, mainly because of opposition from the United States and Canada, which were folded Caribbean nations.
But the issue was discussed yesterday in an ad hoc commission, within a planting to create a "zone of peace in the South Atlantic," he said at a press conference Uruguayan Deputy Defense
Terry,

they couldn't do any better for the Falkland Islands, they simply have to keep it coming..

We couldn't ask for nor pay good money for better publicity..!

LOL...

Kindest regards from the Falkland Islands
francisco

Federal, Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

Carilinas...

Es una buena marca de pañuelos de tipo tissue.

Son buenos para secar lagrimas...

Comprenlos en Bs As y llevenselos en una bodega de un jet de Lan.

:-D
Terry Hill

São Paulo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

francisco wrote:
Uy como lloran!.
Necesitan más pañuelos para secar las lagrimas?.
Hace 47 años que lloran!. Que culpa tiene el mundo de limpiarse el culo con ustedes?.
No se pongan en la pocision de papel higenico y su problema se soluciona!
Asi de simple...
Warning paper hanger at work
francisco

Federal, Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Tu noche va a ser muy larga Terry...

Mejor ponete comodo.

:-D
Ricardo

Isidro Casanova, Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Dean, the islanders have the right of being part in planning their future and government, what they do not have is the right to decide which is the sovereign State the Islands belong to
That is what the UN means when stating that their INTERESTS must be considered, in every General Assembly resolution it issued
Meanwhile, nothing has changed
The UN only speaks through it'sj official resolutions
As any Institution.g does
So do not worry about Morejon's words...the official UN position remains calling Argentina and the UK to negotiate
Besides...you have said many times that you do not care for the UN....why are you worried now, then?
Terry Hill

São Paulo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Ricardo wrote:
Dean, the islanders have the right of being part in planning their future and government, what they do not have is the right to decide which is the sovereign State the Islands belong to
That is what the UN means when stating that their INTERESTS must be considered, in every General Assembly resolution it issued
Meanwhile, nothing has changed
The UN only speaks through it'sj official resolutions
As any Institution.g does
So do not worry about Morejon's words...the official UN position remains calling Argentina and the UK to negotiate
Besides...you have said many times that you do not care for the UN....why are you worried now, then?
The horse has already left the barn. The legal issue is finito as far as Argentina is concerned. UK has, and will always have sovereignty and there is nothing that can undo that fact. Unless the islanders themselves wish to change things.
Ricardo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Terry Hill wrote:
<quoted text>
The horse has already left the barn. The legal issue is finito as far as Argentina is concerned. UK has, and will always have sovereignty and there is nothing that can undo that fact. Unless the islanders themselves wish to change things.
Yeah, now play a background of "Rule Britannia" to these personal and irrelevant statements
Saying so....all you always had
Terry Hill

São Paulo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Ricardo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, now play a background of "Rule Britannia" to these personal and irrelevant statements
Saying so....all you always had
What a self-serving short memory you have. It's all over, extinct prescription. Not a legal leg left to stand on.
Ricardo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

And you do not have sovereignity
Yo have a de facto force imposed administration as the whole non british World position is
The US stated that this very year, for example
"Throwing you under the bus" was the brits comment on that
Well, there are plenty of buses
Ricardo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Terry Hill wrote:
<quoted text>
What a self-serving short memory you have. It's all over, extinct prescription. Not a legal leg left to stand on.
About extinct prescription...what about your 59 years leave??
Meanwhile Argentina occupied and settled
You guys are great....use arguments only where you like them, and ignore them where you don't
And stop changing arguments, you are making me dizzy...chose one
Terry Hill

São Paulo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Ricardo wrote:
And you do not have sovereignity
Yo have a de facto force imposed administration as the whole non british World position is
The US stated that this very year, for example
"Throwing you under the bus" was the brits comment on that
Well, there are plenty of buses
The UN is an attempt to make an unworkable political solution. It doesn't change the UK's legal rights one iota. As I have already stated, Argentina no longer has any tenuous legal claim because of her own neglect. Which is supported by your favorite jurist.

The Falklands War Britain versus the Past in the South Atlantic
Daniel K, Gibran

The establishment of the World Courts, initially as the Permanent Court of International Justice and later as the Internationa Court of Justice (ICJ), changed the situation so that diplomatic protests were no longer sufficient to keep alive Argentina's claim of sovereignty. In order to avoid extinguishing its claim, Argentina should have resorted to the ICJ rather than continuing to protest. The fact of the matter was that Argentina never submitted its claim to the Court for judgment, Its failure to do so, to take advantage of the requirements prescribed by international law, has quietly ceded sovereignty to Britain by extinctive prescription. Thus by 1982, Argentina's claim was extinguished. The British jurist Rosalyn Higgins arrived at a similar conclusion when she pointed out: No tribunal could tell her [Argentina] that she has to accept British title because she has acquiesced to it But what the protests do not do is to defeat the British title, which was built up in other ways through Argentinas acquiescence.80" There was therefore little doubt that Britain acquired title to the Falklands by extinctive prescription. In other words, it was in this mode that the strength of the British claims resided.

80. Rosalyn Higgins, "Falklands and the Law," Observer, 2 May 1982.
Ricardo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Terry Hill wrote:
<quoted text>
The UN is an attempt to make an unworkable political solution. It doesn't change the UK's legal rights one iota. As I have already stated, Argentina no longer has any tenuous legal claim because of her own neglect. Which is supported by your favorite jurist.
The Falklands War Britain versus the Past in the South Atlantic
Daniel K, Gibran
The establishment of the World Courts, initially as the Permanent Court of International Justice and later as the Internationa Court of Justice (ICJ), changed the situation so that diplomatic protests were no longer sufficient to keep alive Argentina's claim of sovereignty. In order to avoid extinguishing its claim, Argentina should have resorted to the ICJ rather than continuing to protest. The fact of the matter was that Argentina never submitted its claim to the Court for judgment, Its failure to do so, to take advantage of the requirements prescribed by international law, has quietly ceded sovereignty to Britain by extinctive prescription. Thus by 1982, Argentina's claim was extinguished. The British jurist Rosalyn Higgins arrived at a similar conclusion when she pointed out: No tribunal could tell her [Argentina] that she has to accept British title because she has acquiesced to it But what the protests do not do is to defeat the British title, which was built up in other ways through Argentinas acquiescence.80" There was therefore little doubt that Britain acquired title to the Falklands by extinctive prescription. In other words, it was in this mode that the strength of the British claims resided.
80. Rosalyn Higgins, "Falklands and the Law," Observer, 2 May 1982.
Still no answer about your 59 years absence?
If that is not prescription, nothing is
Deanstreet

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Ricardo wrote:
<quoted text>
About extinct prescription...what about your 59 years leave??
Meanwhile Argentina occupied and settled
You guys are great....use arguments only where you like them, and ignore them where you don't
And stop changing arguments, you are making me dizzy...chose one
riccie,

59 years leave - Captain James Weddell (amongst others, and who also was the one some years after the event report on that infamous pirate called david jewett), in and out of the islands and at the same time exploring Antarctica (Weddell Sea, Weddel seal)

Mmmm Royal navy Surveys, and mapping expeditions..

If there was 59 years leave, how is it the Royal Navy appears on station, and other Britons and their vessels are in and out..?

I think you have a little more research to do..

Since: Aug 11

Bangkok, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

59 years ??

The garrison was absent.

Not the British.

So tell me Ricky - who surveyed West Falkland in 1786 ??

Absent?? Just another Argentine myth :-)
Deanstreet

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

1786 - Lt. Thomas Edgar of the British Navy, in the whaler Hope, surveys Falkland Sound.

“Between the two main islands the sound is from 7 to 12 miles broad; and many of the smaller islands are situated in it. This channel is navigable for ships of any size, and by attending to the best chart, which is that of Lieutenant Edgar, it may be passed through with safety, as all the dangers are there laid down.”

n.b. Edgar sailed with Capt. Cook on his 3rd voyage. His chart is referred to by James Weddell in,'A voyage towards the south pole, performed in the years 1822-24'. Port Edgar is named in honour of this work.

1814– British vessels, Admiral Colpoys, Diana and Recovery in the Falkland Islands.

Need any further riccie..?

Deanstreet

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Sorry Lordton,

Re 1786, but knowing you, you'll have plenty of other facts about the great 59 years..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of91
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Falkland Islands Forum right now

Search the Falkland Islands Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CONGRAT to the english team:A brilliant defeat! 4 hr Deanstreet 10
EEZ of Argentina.MAlvinas falls within (Apr '12) 4 hr Deanstreet 80
The Argentine problem (Mar '12) 12 hr Biguggy 1,879
80% of Uruguayans Consider Montivideo Should Ke... 12 hr Biguggy 705
Law student arbitration University of Brussels:... 13 hr Biguggy 51
Argentina’s lies at the United Nations (Apr '11) 22 hr pablo 28,646
Why Self Determination Can be Applied (Nov '12) Mon Biguggy 1,635
•••
•••