Cameron aims to win Scots' hearts

Jan 5, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Bicester Advertiser

Pressure is mounting on David Cameron to enter into a face-to-face debate with Alex Salmond on Scottish independence The campaign against Scottish independence must move beyond economics to arguments of the "head and heart", Prime Minister David Cameron has said.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of52
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Pascal Caillette

Auckland, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2014

Judged:

I'd vote for that Sassenach git if he were to say send me a 1000 a year and a brace of malt
James

Canterbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

Judged:

Cameron, like all Conservatives, wants Scotland gone.
Macauley

Bolton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

Judged:

Cammy only cares about the elite in London and the home counties. The Tories have never gave one damn about Scotland, and they only see Wales as a hokiday home. We have to face facts, due to unprecedented immigration arranged by Labour, that woukd put a considerable amount of people voting for them ever again. Think about it, why would the Tories be so keen to twll us we cost them a fortune but they want to keep us. There's more to this economic set-up than meets the eye, I'm now nationalist and should we reach a No this September, I'm moving to New Zealand and never coming back
Jimmy McSporran

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

Judged:

Salmond is a joke politician, he just wants his bronze statue on gretna green.
Macauley

Bolton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

Judged:

Jimmy McSporran wrote:
Salmond is a joke politician, he just wants his bronze statue on gretna green.
either way independence or not, you wont see him again, the SNP will disolve while new party's are formed. I know thhe first one, the McSporran Raving Looney Monster party. I'd vot for ye Jimmy =)
Randy

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

I'm pro independence for many reasons

1. Id like a true Scottish identity (and to lose my lager lout passport)
2. My ancestors didn't have much choice in the Union
3. The Empire is dead, so the Union should die too
4. Labour and Conservative governments look down on Scotland
5. Scotland's oil has supported the rest of the UK for far too long
6. Smaller countries survive on much lower GDP's
7. This is now or ever, gain control or be in England's shaddow forever
8. So I don't have to move abroad after September 18th
9. The political alternatives are depressing. Labour = Flood us with with immigrants. Conservatives = Flood us with economic hardship and poverty
10. The only reason I don't speak the language of my ancestors (Scots Gaelic) is because it was forbidden and oppressed by an English goverment.

England wants to hold on to Scotland for SO many reasons. There's no way they'd be so keen to maintain the Union if Scotland was losing them money like they constantly imply. As First Minister, Alex Salmond so rightly said,.. There's more than oil and gas revenues in Scotland's favour. There's a massive future and economic opportunity in hydro power, water exportation to countries that suffer from frequent droughts (England!!), a land of vast agriculture (haggis, angus beef, ayrshire bacon), fishing, maritime activities, sports, whisky, banking, construction, pharmaceuticals, medical research, and oh yes.. Tourism!). Scotland was named the number 1 tourist destination by CNN a few months ago, and Americans are our biggest source of tourist income.

Scotland has a higher GDP per capita and larger GVA per capita output than England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the United Kingdom as a whole when revenues from North Sea oil and gas are taken into account. It used to have a much larger manufacturing base until Maggies government sold it all off. To those spinning the "Better Together" lie, think back to the poll tax trials, the closure of much of Scotland's industry and think forwards to today. A rich country supporting our failed empire neighbours. Our country producing billions in revenue for Westminster whilst our pensioners are made to go without heating, sell their homes to pay for care and live on the breadline. Lookk at how the United Kingdom's government treats our war veterans. They're tossed out onto the street without a single regard. ATOS, declaring every chronically ill and terminally ill person in the country fit to work to save money for a cruel Tory government. Look what the SNP have done for us so far (Within the United Kingdom), abolishing prescription charges, abolishment of bridge tolls (Forth Road Bridge), free school meals. Is it any wonder David Cameron refuses to have a debate on TV with Alex Salmond. An earlier commentor made a valid point that post independence, the SNP will disolve anyway. I think we should seize this once in a lifetime opportunity. We have so much to gain, european investment, better relations with other countries, more control over spending and infrastructure.
rio

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

Randy wrote:
9. The political alternatives are depressing. Labour = Flood us with with immigrants. Conservatives = Flood us with economic hardship and poverty
10. The only reason I don't speak the language of my ancestors (Scots Gaelic) is because it was forbidden and oppressed by an English goverment.
England wants to hold on to Scotland for SO many reasons. There's no way they'd be so keen to maintain the Union if Scotland was losing them money like they constantly imply. As First Minister, Alex Salmond so rightly said,.. There's more than oil and gas revenues in Scotland's favour. There's a massive future and economic opportunity in hydro power, water exportation to countries that suffer from frequent droughts (England!!), a land of vast agriculture (haggis, angus beef, ayrshire bacon), fishing, maritime activities, sports, whisky, banking, construction, pharmaceuticals, medical research, and oh yes.. Tourism!). Scotland was named the number 1 tourist destination by CNN a few months ago, and Americans are our biggest source of tourist income.
Scotland has a higher GDP per capita and larger GVA per capita output than England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the United Kingdom as a whole when revenues from North Sea oil and gas are taken into account. It used to have a much larger manufacturing base until Maggies government sold it all off. To those spinning the "Better Together" lie, think back to the poll tax trials, the closure of much of Scotland's industry and think forwards to today. A rich country supporting our failed empire neighbours. Our country producing billions in revenue for Westminster whilst our pensioners are made to go without heating, sell their homes to pay for care and live on the breadline. Lookk at how the United Kingdom's government treats our war veterans. They're tossed out onto the street without a single regard. ATOS, declaring every chronically ill and terminally ill person in the country fit to work to save money for a cruel Tory government. Look what the SNP have done for us so far (Within the United Kingdom), abolishing prescription charges, abolishment of bridge tolls (Forth Road Bridge), free school meals. Is it any wonder David Cameron refuses to have a debate on TV with Alex Salmond. An earlier commentor made a valid point that post independence, the SNP will disolve anyway. I think we should seize this once in a lifetime opportunity. We have so much to gain, european investment, better relations with other countries, more control over spending and infrastructure.
For all your valid reasons, I would probably vote for independence too if I was Scot.

I think Scotland could perfectly be alone if it wanted.

I wish you good luck!
terry

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Would be interesting to see what would happen regarding the eu . I think they would be mad to stay in or rejoin the eu if Scotland gained independence
terry

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

Macauley wrote:
Cammy only cares about the elite in London and the home counties. The Tories have never gave one damn about Scotland, and they only see Wales as a hokiday home. We have to face facts, due to unprecedented immigration arranged by Labour, that woukd put a considerable amount of people voting for them ever again. Think about it, why would the Tories be so keen to twll us we cost them a fortune but they want to keep us. There's more to this economic set-up than meets the eye, I'm now nationalist and should we reach a No this September, I'm moving to New Zealand and never coming back
if Scotland gets its independance I might move ip there.
terry

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

*up there
rio

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

The Scottish vote will be a test case for other independentist regions in Europe, and closely watched, I am sure.

The way the assets will be shared will be interesting to see. Who is going to get the submarines and all the navy hardware currently in Scotland?
Who will get the exploration rights for the North Sea oil fields?

What about currency? The gold reserve is at the moment in London. Will Scotland receive a portion of it? Will Scotland keep the Pound Sterling, or adopt the Euro?
I would be surprised if the EU was to refuse membership to a new country, when it wants to expend and counter the outers in Europe.
So Scotland could be in, when the rest of Britain is to decide if it gets out of the EU.
Interesting times ahead!!
Dud Fivers

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

the EU has already said that Scotland will not be admitted. The ships are ours, the North Sea oil fields are not "scottish" They will became a nation of beggars.
Scotsman

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

Dud Fivers wrote:
the EU has already said that Scotland will not be admitted. The ships are ours, the North Sea oil fields are not "scottish" They will became a nation of beggars.
The EU has said Scotland will need to apply to be admitted, they didn't point blank refuse. It's a formality.
The North Sea oil fields will likely become Scottish under international territorial laws. It's nothing more than a formality. And, oil is not the only source of income, although there's an estimated 57bn worth of the black stuff left to drill for ;)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotlan...
Good luck with your dud fivers, you're going to need em if Scotland becomes her own country
James

Canterbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

Randy wrote:
Cameron is absolutely desperate to get rid of Scotland forever.
James

Canterbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

Scotsman wrote:
<quoted text>
The EU has said Scotland will need to apply to be admitted, they didn't point blank refuse. It's a formality.
The North Sea oil fields will likely become Scottish under international territorial laws. It's nothing more than a formality. And, oil is not the only source of income, although there's an estimated 57bn worth of the black stuff left to drill for ;)
Good luck with your dud fivers, you're going to need em if Scotland becomes her own country
I'm glad you won't be allowed to use sterling.

No such thing as "independence" in the EU.
Tam

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

James wrote:
<quoted text>
it would just be called the Scottish pound , egypt has the pound and Cyprus did before the euro crippled them. In fact Cyprus should serve as a warning for Scotland. A small independent nation , good standard of living and low unemployment... then they joined the eu. The main reason they wanted to be in the eu was to resolve the issue with the turks. That hasn't happened and thier economy is ruined. Scotland would be better off just staying out of the eu.
James

Canterbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

Tam wrote:
<quoted text> it would just be called the Scottish pound , egypt has the pound and Cyprus did before the euro crippled them. In fact Cyprus should serve as a warning for Scotland. A small independent nation , good standard of living and low unemployment... then they joined the eu. The main reason they wanted to be in the eu was to resolve the issue with the turks. That hasn't happened and thier economy is ruined. Scotland would be better off just staying out of the eu.
Well Salmond and the SNP are far more pro-EU and pro-mass immigration tahn Labour, so good luck with not joining the EU, ha ha ha!!!

I'm so glad we will raise interest rates to 100% so an "independent" Scotland won't be able to use sterling.
Alba

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

James wrote:
<quoted text>
What a silly thing to say you terribly silly cookie. This only proves the point that England is too controlling in this relationship lol. To be honest, the Euro would be more beneficial for Scotland in the long term. It makes for better trading in the common market, would encourage much more trade and growth from our European neighbours. We'll suck up the EU commission's ass and receive lots in growth subsidies and grants as a fully equal member. Whilst Britain will still be seen as quote "The country that wants to pick and choose what they want from Europe". We will form much better international relations whilst you fantasize about creating another empire. Sovereignty my terribly jolly ol toothbrush shy friend, sovereignty!
Dud Fivers

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

Scotsman wrote:
<quoted text>
you will lose the 3000 pa for EACH Scotsperson that the English give you. I suppose you think you can exist on the income from shortbread biscuits. Wales voted NO because in wales we are realistic about where a lot of our money comes from, and the impossibility of a small country ever being really independent .
James

Canterbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Alba wrote:
<quoted text>
What a silly thing to say you terribly silly cookie. This only proves the point that England is too controlling in this relationship lol. To be honest, the Euro would be more beneficial for Scotland in the long term. It makes for better trading in the common market, would encourage much more trade and growth from our European neighbours. We'll suck up the EU commission's ass and receive lots in growth subsidies and grants as a fully equal member. Whilst Britain will still be seen as quote "The country that wants to pick and choose what they want from Europe". We will form much better international relations whilst you fantasize about creating another empire. Sovereignty my terribly jolly ol toothbrush shy friend, sovereignty!
Britain won't even exist, while England won't be in the EU.

Good luck with the euro - and the SNP's and Labour's mass immigration.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of52
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••