Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
3,061 - 3,080 of 21,501 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#3158 Jun 4, 2012
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is based on eye whiteness account and historical record. Outside sources confirm it when available.
whiteness? Freudian slip there?

But assuming you meant, witness, you make assertions without even a link to back up your statements. Guess I just have to take your word for it?

Nehwon

#3159 Jun 4, 2012
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that because Sunday was the day the church decided to gather there Christianity is based on paganism? The day wasn't even that set. See Romans.
Ahh, but Christianity incorporated paganism to make it more palatable for new converts.

How else do you explain that decorating a Christmas tree is a popular custom now even though it is expressly forbidden in the bible?

It's still a bit odd that Christians regard Sunday as the day of sabbath when Jesus himself would have observed the Jewish sabbath.

Nehwon

#3160 Jun 4, 2012
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
God destroys the world because they deserved it. He had mercy by saving Noah. God will do the same thing down the road. Just means he hates sin. That is clearly the reason given for destruction. Not because he was annoyed.
So all the pregnant women just about to give birth when the flood came, what sin did the fetus commit?

God didn't just take the candy from the baby. He killed it. And it was good, right?

Nehwon

#3161 Jun 4, 2012
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me clarify. Sometimes it is more fun to sin even though it is illogical.
Is this heading towards an "all life is suffering for the glory of god and doing anything fun is sinful." type moment?

Nehwon

#3162 Jun 4, 2012
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. We make choices and that demonstrates free will. If you are asking that I prove God exists, I could do it by proving the Bible is legit.
You don't have free will if god has already planned out your life. You would be no more than a puppet on a string.

You are heading into the Problem of Evil waters.

Nehwon

#3163 Jun 4, 2012
Jehovah is God wrote:
<quoted text>
Since I am quoting prophecy, it is up to you to prove they are getting better.
Are men and women getting better? Is the economy getting better?
Are earthquakes getting better? Are diseases getting better? Is fighting and war getting better?
Whatever this world makes to appear getting better is a lie, it is a veneer to fool you into thinking all is better, that's all.
Satan is a master of disguise and deceit, his days are numbered according to the Bible.
2Corinthians 4:4
Talk about conflating things.

Are men and women getting better?- subjective.

Is the economy getting better? Yes and No. Cyclical pattern.

Are earthquakes getting better? They've always been around. We know have a good idea what causes them and working on predicting them as well as working on better buildings to withstand them.

Are diseases getting better? Yes and No. We don't really worry about small pox anymore, do we? But new diseases crop up (like the Theory of Evolution would predict. What do you think happens when you kill 99.9% of the germs with Lysol with that last .1%? Need a stronger Lysol...)

Is fighting and war getting better? Yes and No. But fighting and war has been going on for a long long time. Even Jesus didn't stop it.

And who created Satan?

Nehwon

#3164 Jun 4, 2012
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
So free will is the ability to do whatever you want with no consequences. This does not exist. What is the difference from the two in your opinion?
"free will is the ability to do whatever you want with no consequences".

And here's the goal posts moving... you added in the "no consequences" bit.

Apparently, going to jail isn't a possibility for the choices you make.

Nehwon

#3165 Jun 4, 2012
The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Here are a few things we know about the culture of those times...
1) Although the Romans did require a census, it NEVER EVER required men to go back to their hometown. The census was for taxation purposes, so that requirement would have been absurd. the writter of Matthew was trying to make his jesus character fit the prophecy.
2) The Romans NEVER EVER allowed a prisoner to go free, especially one like Barabas who had broken Roman law. Also, the Romans did not honor a jewish holiday like Passover....EVER. The Jews were a conquered people, the Romans treated them poorly at best.
3) During the time and place where Jesus was supposed to have lived, the language was Aramaic, not greek. The oldest copies of the gospels were written in greek.
4) We know that "gospels" were a dime a dozen in those days, and were often written in the name of someone the author thought would lend credibiltiy to the writting.
5) The earliest Gospel was written about 50 years after the suppised death of Christ. It would be VERY unlikely that they were written by the person ascribed to have written them.
6)We know that Paul was a real person, and we have his original letters. In those letters, he NEVER quotes Christ, or any of his parables or specific teachings. He NEVER mentions any of the 'miricles" that Christ was supposed to have performed. He speaks of christ in spirit, but not as a real person. He never relates any history of the person christ.
Ya know, now that I think of it, the Joseph and Mary story returning to their hometown for a census nagged at my mind.

Just think of all the laborers who had to stop work to travel (slowly). This would certainly make the job creators quite unhappy as they would have to pay for fixed costs with no work being done.

Doesn't matter who makes up the government - when the money stops moving, you are screwed. And the "census" would certainly have disrupted the movement of money. The Romans weren't stupid.

So now this begs the question - what was an unmarried woman doing traveling alone with a man (even though they claimed to be engaged)? And Mary was nearing giving birth so she had to be showing...

And wait a sec! God impregnated Mary. Was Joseph trying to save Mary from an abusive relationship? Old Testament Magic 8 Ball signs point to Yes.

Nehwon

#3166 Jun 4, 2012
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Je...
Majority do believe most is legit.
Umm.

"Of the three passages found in Josephus' Antiquities, this passage, if authentic, would offer the most direct support for the crucifixion of Jesus. The general scholarly view is that while the Testimonium Flavianum is most likely not authentic in its entirety, it originally consisted of an authentic nucleus with a reference to the execution of Jesus by Pilate which was then subject to interpolation."

Lots of weasel words going on there surrounding this statement:

"The general scholarly view is that while the Testimonium Flavianum is most likely not authentic in its entirety"

In other words, this is not a reliable source to base an argument on.

Nehwon

#3167 Jun 4, 2012
Mike said:
"God did not create evil. Simply by existing the opposite of Him comes into being. In this universe anyway. "
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
In one fell swoop?
You proved that your god is NOT omniscient and NOT omnipotent and NOT all-encompassing and NOT all-all!
That is just hilarious!
Whoa. How did I miss that post? Something exists in Creation that God did not create?

Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnibenevolent.

Pick None now since evil snuck in there?

Nehwon

#3168 Jun 4, 2012
Mike said:

"I am so out numbered in here it ain't even funny. "
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed.
Your god isn't there to give you a hand?
Just like all the 1000's of OTHER times your god failed to lend you a helping hand?
Interesting: nothing fails quite like the Genuine Christian™ god does.
So the 83% of American God Supporters that Don867-5309 crowed about aren't going to offer their support?
MUQ

Saudi Arabia

#3169 Jun 5, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Had a long post typed up in reply but decided it's not appropriate for this thread.
The short summary is that there's a difference between murder and kill. You can kill someone and it's not murder (but could be manslaughter.) and it could be considered acceptable within our societies mores.
But for many theists in the US, killing in the name of Jesus would be acceptable to them. I don't know if that's just ironic or completely missing the message.
They usually accuse Muslims for killing in the name of Allah....this is news to me that some Christains also approve killing in the names of Jesus.

Wow! I would like to meet these people!!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#3170 Jun 5, 2012
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
How do we prove any history is true? Through archeology, and written sources. We have both to confirm the Bible. We have outside sources to confirm the new testament. The old testament reads as historical account and fits with the archeological evidence and what we know about the culture of that time.
You offer those ideas to the rest of us to suggest that the bible is accurate, which is what we would expect from the authentic the word of the true god, do you not?

The fact is that outside sources fail to support any extraordinary biblical claims, and the archeology is also contradictory. From http://www.scripturescholar.com/BibleArchaeol... :

"The Bible says Joshua conquered the whole region leaving no survivors (Josh 10:42 cf. 11:16-23). Archaeologists say Israel "emerged" from among the Canaanite peoples without a conquest.[1] They say this because there is evidence of neither culture change nor comprehensive conquest. Archaeology has apparently proved the Bible wrong. Major differences between the Bible and archaeology are: There is no evidence of the destruction of Egypt by plagues at the Exodus. There is no evidence of a forty-year wilderness wandering, no evidence of a rapid and complete conquest by Joshua, and no evidence for a wealthy internationally trading kingdom of Israel under King Solomon, etc."

Now that you know that you were misinformed, and that the archeology contradicts the bible, I expect you to do the opposite of what you expected me to do when you thought that the bible was accurate. I expect you to reject it.

Just kidding. I know that facts are irrelevant to faith, and that you twist them to your advantage when you can, and ignore them the rest of the time. Isn't that correct? You expect others to react sensibly and rationally to what you hope that they will accept as fact on your say so alone, but you don't hold yourself to any such standard, and feel free to ignore whatever you don't like. You reject this contradictory data out of hand, right here, right now, correct?
trew

Bristol, UK

#3171 Jun 5, 2012
Sorry, but what island was Noah on where there was an Elephant, AND a hamster, AND a penguin???

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3172 Jun 5, 2012
trew wrote:
Sorry, but what island was Noah on where there was an Elephant, AND a hamster, AND a penguin???
The island called insanity.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#3173 Jun 5, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
But he's a scientician!!! For theists, his one opinion is enough to declare every other scientist is wrong.
Another example would be how often Antony Flew crops up in Crevo/Evo debates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Flew
It's a pleasure when they bring up Flew. All that Flew did was wait until he became demented, and then, according to an author of uncertain integrity, accepted the deist god. Flew continued to reject everything Christians cherish - divine revelation, a personal god that hears or answers prayer, or who loves mankind, original sin, the need for redemption, resurrection, damnation, salvation, grace, a trinity - everything that Christians cherish.

Yet Christians are happy to offer this demented man's eleventh hour recantation of his life's work as evidence that atheists are wrong even though he was still competent enough to reject Jesus.
MUQ

Saudi Arabia

#3174 Jun 5, 2012
KK wrote:
01. Why do you continually pull out the same canards? Until you can even begin to prove there is some "spiritual" problem you MUST prove that a spirit exists and how to measure it, until then it's all just pure speculation and fantasy.

02. You need some serious anti-depressant medications, if all you can see are the few problems society has and completely ignore all the massive improvements we have made in the last 30 years, of which I lived through and saw first hand, then you are seriously stuck on gloom.

03. There is no other side of the mirror, there is only reality, anything outside of reality is pure assumption, speculation, and myth. More lethal "WMD's," I assume you mean our nuclear arsenal, because that is the only true threat we have and, well, no one is stupid enough to launch those anymore, except the idiotic fundies.

04. Suicides are not as big of an issue as you are making them out to be, statistically speaking they are not really increasing. You cannot look at the raw count and compare that to a time period with a lower population and say it's increasing, you must look at the percentages and they are still within predictable ranges, if anything successful suicides are on the decline thanks to early detection and medical treatment.

05. It is you who is detached from reality, you are likely getting all your information from some lame conspiracy nuttery garbage or religious zealots wanting to see the world destroyed. The reality is that such garbage is fading fast, so get your kicks in while you can, the golden age has started and I didn't even realize it until a few years ago, hopefully your eyes will open before you waste too much of your life ducking for cover at every backfire.
Ans.

01. If there is no spirit then tell me what is life? If there is no soul, tell me why we write poetry and why we love music, what is there in music and song that “Nourishes our Physical body”?

It is not me , but you who refuse to see the reality when presented before you.

02. You advise me to take anti-depressant medications…. And by the way sale of these medicines is going higher and higher in your society.

Another sign that “all is not well on Western front”

03. So there is no other side of mirror? Do you know how mirrors are made? They “Have to have” other side, otherwise they cannot work as a mirror!!

So you “feel” that all that Nuclear, Chemical and Biological stockpile was manufactured for “fun”? If there is no real threat then why billions upon billions of dollars were spent on their manufacture?

Or do you think they are manufactured for “smaller and weaker nations”?

04. Suicides blow the tin on your “we are having best of the best time” hype!!

The fact that highest suicide rates are found in western countries and those countries which are most “liberal and have highest standard of living” shows that something is missing from your society.

You may downplay their impact as being “insignificant” but they do show that every one does not agree with you.

05. The way you are reacting shows that my posts “hurt you in sensitive places”!!

And offense is the best defense.

Just see how many abuses and curses and expletives you have used against me in a single post and count how many I have used against you?

And do you know who starts using abuses, curses and expletives in any debate or discussion?

Usually the side which has no logical or reasonable answers to the questions being raised!!
NEW

Owatonna, MN

#3175 Jun 5, 2012
trew wrote:
Oh yes and how did Noah get a T-rex and other dinos on the ark??? Because christains say the earth is only 12,000 years old so dinos existed at time of Noah by there saying...

Orefield, PA

#3176 Jun 5, 2012
Don5163 wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, we condemned ourselves when we disobeyed. After all, we didn't create ourselves did we?
No magical sky-fairy created you either.
Anyway, that story is yet another example of the stupidity and wretched unfairness of the god in the bible story. If your son or daughter would do something wrong, would you hold it against your grandchildren, and their children, and their children, etc??? No, you wouldn't, but yet this "loving god" in the story does. What makes it worse is that he set them up to fail by being irresponsible. According to the poorly written story, this god put these two trees, that he didn't want them to even touch, in the garden. Why?... He is the creator of the entire universe, so he makes the rules, so he didn't have to put them in the garden. Now at this point, Adam and Eve are so naive that they don't even know they are naked. Basically, they are like very small children. So this rotten story-god is the tempter. Now, if this god knows all, and sees all, he should have at the very least known that the serpent was going to tempt them, but he still left them alone in the garden. If he is truly all knowing, he should have known they would fail, but in the story, he is not aware that they ate the apple(so much for omnipresence, and being all knowing).

Let's cut to the chase and put it this way.... If you leave your kids alone in a room with a loaded gun, and tell them to leave it alone, but they don't listen and someone gets hurt.... YOU are as much to blame as much as the kids are, and as the adult, even more so!! This silly, careless god in this story is ultimately to blame, and it should be obvious to all but the most mentally stunted that he set them up to fail!!! But this sky-fairy goes even farther!!! He holds his mistake against everyone from then on!!! It is obvious from scores of other stories in the Bible that this god is not afraid to kill humans, he does it time and time again without a thought!! SO rather than keep his promise that they would die that same day that they ate the fruit, he lets them live, and holds this imagined sin against every human right on down the line!! What a dick!!! He could have whacked them, and started over without the tree. I can think of about fifteen different things he could have done that would have more fair, and made more sense.

Sorry, this is another instance of your god failing miserably.

Orefield, PA

#3177 Jun 5, 2012
Don5163 wrote:
<quoted text>The observation is "mankind." Not babies. There were God's blueprint of how we should live our lives as "mankind" and we disobeyed. You must have a greater view than "babies."
No, not at all. They were so unaware that they didn't know they were naked. And what is this "we" crap? I just read aout a guy who robbed a local bank. Did "we" rob that bank? Should YOU be punished for robbing that bank? NOPE, it is unthinkable that the whole should be punished for the sins of one or two people, yet you accept this in this case without a thought.

I guess that sums you up completely.... Without a thought.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Europe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Austrian SWAT team raids wrong apartment 40 min Please Make Amends 1
Russian military troops 'deployed to Ukraine', ... 40 min Remember ODESSA 8
Zabawa festival celebrates Polish heritage 43 min McGurk 55
BBC boss faces tough questions over Savile scandal (Oct '12) 1 hr In the know 11
Merkel urges Greece and FYROM to settle dispute 1 hr stavros 115
Migrants in Britain a decade on: The Poles who ... 1 hr more poles less r... 2,631
NATO's North Atlantic Council Condemns Russia's... 1 hr Lukashenko is Dr ... 7,821
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Europe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••