Young men will always seek to prove themselves with a 'cause'

Jun 13, 2013 Full story: This Is Somerset 181

Having lived through the 1970s and been "radicalised" not through religion but politics into supporting the aims, if not the methods, of Irish republicanism, I understand to a degree why young men appear to lose all sense when presented with a "cause".

Full Story
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
humberman99

Liverpool, UK

#1 Jun 14, 2013
refer to the wall of shame in Belfast.
AgentK4i

Ireland

#2 Jun 14, 2013
Have you been kerb crawling down there?
humberman99

Liverpool, UK

#3 Jun 14, 2013
yes, have to admit to pissing on the wall of shame.

Good to see that you can now spell kerb correctly.
AgentK4i

Ireland

#4 Jun 14, 2013
Did you pay for it?

KERB CRAWLER
AgentK4i

Ireland

#5 Jun 14, 2013
Unkie humber has had a bit too much to drink again.

On the Buckfast old boy?
Equality---

Aberdeen, UK

#6 Jun 14, 2013
I read this guys blog, and I think he has a slight point, however I believe that young people will respond to certain circumstances not necessarily because they need a cause.
This guy was English, he would not have seen the brutality given out to Irish men daily by his fellow country-men, if he needed a cause maybe there was some-thing missing within his English life.
Even though I have always disagreed with militant republicanism many young Irishmen and woman volunteered there services to the IRA, but only after such events as Bloody Sunday, and the slaughter of there community by 'loyalist' serial killers, and the wish to free there island from British occupation.
I am sure that many would have preferred chasing girls and following there foot-ball team than being in a position to be killed or kill, or spending there lives inside 'British prisons'

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#7 Jun 14, 2013
Equality--- wrote:
Even though I have always disagreed with militant republicanism many young Irishmen and woman volunteered there services to the IRA, but only after such events as Bloody Sunday, and the slaughter of there community by 'loyalist' serial killers, and the wish to free there island from British occupation.
I am sure that many would have preferred chasing girls and following there foot-ball team than being in a position to be killed or kill, or spending there lives inside 'British prisons'
That's a great point. It's easy for people to try and de-humanize these people, but as you say many would have preferred the normal life, they were pushed into it. A lot of the young men and women were drawn into it because of what they saw happening around them. That's what some people never seem to realize, yet if they were in that position they'd have done the same themselves.

Not uncommon to hear British Soldiers from the late 1960's early 1970's who were in Ulster saying that they'd have joined the IRA at the time had they been an Irish Catholic from Ulster.

I think a lot of the initial goodwill the IRA had from certain sections of the English public, like this fella, was probably lost after some of the attacks in England. Then again the Republican's thought behind it was ''if you're going to disrupt our country we're going to disrupt yours''.

Different time, look at the Jihadists of today, no talking to them, no way to negotiate with them, they want to make the world Islamic and believe they have the support of a higher being. A totally different kettle of fish to the IRA.....
humberman99

Liverpool, UK

#8 Jun 14, 2013
anyone can piss on the wall of shame for free.
AgentK4i

Ireland

#11 Jun 14, 2013
humberman99 wrote:
anyone can piss on the wall of shame for free.
Yes but why are you kerb crawling?

You enjoy the castle walls in Edinburgh and have exported this fetish to Belfast.

You crafty minx.
humberman99

Liverpool, UK

#12 Jun 14, 2013
a change is as good as a rest.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#13 Jun 14, 2013
Equality--- wrote:
I read this guys blog, and I think he has a slight point, however I believe that young people will respond to certain circumstances not necessarily because they need a cause.
This guy was English, he would not have seen the brutality given out to Irish men daily by his fellow country-men, if he needed a cause maybe there was some-thing missing within his English life.
Got an example of 'brutality given out to Irish men daily'?

Somehow I doubt it.
Equality---

UK

#14 Jun 14, 2013
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Got an example of 'brutality given out to Irish men daily'?
Somehow I doubt it.
Oh! many examples ICR!
In fact I have so many I would be here all night, unfortunately time is not on my side, Friday night got my 'Diddly dee' shoes on!

Still I have time to give you a few!
1.Friend got his nose broken at 5-30am on his way to work, as a bus driver, whenever a soldier hit him in the face with rifle butt.
2.I myself was harassed on more than one occasion, while also being deliberately kept from going about my daily business as a British soldier pointed an SLR rifle in my face.
3.My Elderly Mother was often jeered at, as she would pass a British Army sanger post every morning on her way to Mass,(Chapel) while disgustingly on more than one occasion she was spat on.
4.On two occasions the family home was raided and searched and turned upside down in the early hours of the morning yet no members of my immediate family have ever been involved with militant republicanism.
5.I personally have seen on up-teen occasions, especially during the 1970s, young men and girls being stopped and verbally and physically harassed and assaulted by British soldiers.
6. Once I actually saw a British soldier, punch an 7-8 year old boy knocking him onto a busy road, were he could have been killed by passing traffic!

The above incidents are nothing in comparison to what many ordinary civilians suffered at the hands of British soldiers.
And if you were known as an militant republican often this republicans family would be constantly harassed while there homes were raided and searched and wrecked on numerous occasions.

I will also admit that it was my experience that some British soldiers were to have been pleasant and cheery during the long conflict. In fact one young soldier expressed to me after having raided my home,'Sorry mate, we only follow orders' which I took with a good heart!
table

Bury, UK

#15 Jun 14, 2013
why don't you mention the VAST MAJORITY of Irish Catholic men who DID NOT turn to terrorism?

strange.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#16 Jun 14, 2013
Equality--- wrote:
no members of my immediate family have ever been involved with militant republicanism.
Your 'immediate' family.

So if we widen that out a bit, you come from a terrorist family, right?

Suddenly your attitude becomes more explicable.
Equality---

UK

#17 Jun 14, 2013
table wrote:
why don't you mention the VAST MAJORITY of Irish Catholic men who DID NOT turn to terrorism?
strange.
We'll the community in which I lived almost every family was to have a relative whether immediate or distant involved in militant republicanism.
In fact the IRA had to turn many away, from there ranks simply because they deemed them not suited or because they did not have the weapons to supply.
While I agree many native Irish Catholics did not believe in the armed struggle including myself, these same many wished for there island to be free from British occupation by peaceful means.
Equality---

UK

#18 Jun 14, 2013
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Your 'immediate' family.
So if we widen that out a bit, you come from a terrorist family, right?
Suddenly your attitude becomes more explicable.
NO! I do not come from a terrorist family....FULL STOP!

Funny how you picked that up, yet you have not commented or denied that brutality and harassment occurred within the Nationalist native Irish community.

Playing Games again ICR, what's new?
table

Bury, UK

#19 Jun 14, 2013
Equality--- wrote:
<quoted text>We'll the community in which I lived almost every family was to have a relative whether immediate or distant involved in militant republicanism.
In fact the IRA had to turn many away, from there ranks simply because they deemed them not suited or because they did not have the weapons to supply.
While I agree many native Irish Catholics did not believe in the armed struggle including myself, these same many wished for there island to be free from British occupation by peaceful means.
well i would suggest the number of Irish Catholics involved in murder and terrorism was/is miniscule.

ignoring the decent Irish Catholics who refused to resort to terror,is to do them a disservice.

my point is,ordinary decent young men DO NOT commit acts of terror to prove themselves.
Equality---

UK

#20 Jun 14, 2013
table wrote:
<quoted text>
well i would suggest the number of Irish Catholics involved in murder and terrorism was/is miniscule.
ignoring the decent Irish Catholics who refused to resort to terror,is to do them a disservice.
my point is,ordinary decent young men DO NOT commit acts of terror to prove themselves.
Correct, many did not commit acts of terror to prove themselves and should not.
My point is, equally many wished to join the arm struggle against Britain, however the IRA was not a professional outfit such as the British Army, there resources were miniscule compared to the British Army, plus there professional military know how could be dubious, especially whenever they resorted to home-made explosives which was to have caused many in house deaths, as well numerous civilian deaths because of the unpredictably of these devices.
The IRA was a guerrilla army, and they had to go by how much arms was available to them, therefore they had to turn many wannabe recruits away.

Interestingly even though the IRA was made up from working class young Irish people, and with there limited arms supply and military know how, they were to have committed the most unfortunate death rate against working class young English soldiers in any recent conflict that Britain was involved in, which I have found to be highly surprising.

Recent Stats!

Falklands 255 British soldiers killed.
Gulf War 47 British soldiers killed.
Iraq 179 British soldiers killed.
Afghan 221 British soldiers killed.

Total 702 British soldiers killed.

North of Ireland....IRA killed 763 British soldiers!
10,000 injured.
The northern Irish conflict lasted longer, however after the mid- 80s the number of British soldiers killed annually were to be few.

table

Bury, UK

#21 Jun 14, 2013
Equality--- wrote:
<quoted text>Correct, many did not commit acts of terror to prove themselves and should not.
My point is, equally many wished to join the arm struggle against Britain, however the IRA was not a professional outfit such as the British Army, there resources were miniscule compared to the British Army, plus there professional military know how could be dubious, especially whenever they resorted to home-made explosives which was to have caused many in house deaths, as well numerous civilian deaths because of the unpredictably of these devices.
The IRA was a guerrilla army, and they had to go by how much arms was available to them, therefore they had to turn many wannabe recruits away.
Interestingly even though the IRA was made up from working class young Irish people, and with there limited arms supply and military know how, they were to have committed the most unfortunate death rate against working class young English soldiers in any recent conflict that Britain was involved in, which I have found to be highly surprising.
Recent Stats!
Falklands 255 British soldiers killed.
Gulf War 47 British soldiers killed.
Iraq 179 British soldiers killed.
Afghan 221 British soldiers killed.
Total 702 British soldiers killed.
North of Ireland....IRA killed 763 British soldiers!
10,000 injured.
The northern Irish conflict lasted longer, however after the mid- 80s the number of British soldiers killed annually were to be few.
the ira were a guerrilla army?

OK whats the difference between a "guerrilla army" and a terrorist group?
Just a thought

Beloit, WI

#22 Jun 14, 2013
Equality.This argument about the British in NI is just foolishness.The British have lived in NI since at least 1609.How"Irish"is an"Irishman"?How many Irish are living in Britain,Scotland,or Wales?If you look at the history of"troubles"you'll find that Ireland,during each period of rebellion,sought international intervention.How better to crush rebellion than occupation.You were part of the"UK"through the Act of Union.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Europe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NATO's North Atlantic Council Condemns Russia's... (Mar '14) 7 min SobieskiSavedEurope 9,831
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 min Chiclets 22,982
Migrants in Britain a decade on: The Poles who ... 8 min Londoner 3,219
Croat, Serb organisations urge reconciliation (Jan '14) 9 min Kravatino 9,613
Football violence reveals Serbia-Albania tensions 59 min ArtOfDestruction 16
Serbs Look to History to Explain Fury (Feb '08) 1 hr servoslaves 271
Ireland makes Lonely Planet list 1 hr Ventry Girl 1

Europe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE