Posted in the Ethiopia Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Robert

Beijing, China

#1 Feb 14, 2009
Hello all!

My wife and I were thinking of naming our baby after her ancestors (who came to America from Addis Ababa generations ago), but both of us haven't a clue where to turn to when it comes to picking out baby names.

We would like to have a girl's name that begins with a 'W', but we have only been able to come up with Worknesh, the famous track star.

Can anyone help us with some girls' names that popular or common in Ethiopia? Names that begin with a 'W'?
getu

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Feb 14, 2009
The only two name that comes in my mind is as follow. And these names were my nieces.

WUBIT......A literal mean of such a name is.....she is pretty, beautiful any of those adjectives.

WEYEN ESHET......One could also address the person such as WEYENE OR ESHET for short. The literal meaning of such a name is "the bud of a grape". In order to understand the essence of the meaning of the name, we have to break it in two elements. WEYEN means grape and ESHET means a bud of any plant, which also includes flower. Since grape tree or grapevine does not grow in any kind of places or weather and need tender loving care to make it productive, thus it is a very special plant. The very name has a connotation. Which is something to do with religion. Remember, Christ changed water into wine, hence the implication of such a name. I love this name and it is a very old and traditional name from the highland people, in this case the Amhara. I am sure there are other names that starts with W and hope others will contribute

Since: Oct 08

Halifax, Canada

#3 Feb 15, 2009
Weyni/Wayna are nice, and easy to pronounce.... also Wudenesh but I'm not sure how popular that name is anymore. Maybe you could try looking in the Ethio names translation thread for more.
getu

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Feb 15, 2009
Hanie wrote:
Weyni/Wayna are nice, and easy to pronounce.... also Wudenesh but I'm not sure how popular that name is anymore. Maybe you could try looking in the Ethio names translation thread for more.
Hey Hanie, I think Wudenesh is a typical Amhara name. Such a name was given in those days, when a women was par to the men, when they were defending their territory or what have you. I do not think it is an appropriate name in a time like this, when such a name has a different connotation. Don't you think so Hanie?

Since: Oct 08

Charlottetown, Canada

#5 Feb 21, 2009
getu wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Hanie, I think Wudenesh is a typical Amhara name. Such a name was given in those days, when a women was par to the men, when they were defending their territory or what have you. I do not think it is an appropriate name in a time like this, when such a name has a different connotation. Don't you think so Hanie?
I agree Getu. I was just reading a paper by Dr. Tsehai Birhane Selassie about Ethiopian women patriot fighters (arbegnoch), and you are right it meant more for women of those days to have that name. Maybe I should have suggested to him Winta instead :)
getu

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Feb 21, 2009
Hanie wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree Getu. I was just reading a paper by Dr. Tsehai Birhane Selassie about Ethiopian women patriot fighters (arbegnoch), and you are right it meant more for women of those days to have that name. Maybe I should have suggested to him Winta instead :)
You know Hanie...while I was in the elementary school, we were expected to memorize those women patriot's names. But that was a very long time and I have forgotten them. In fact one of my friend's grand ma was such a woman. However, I google to find their names and I was not able to find it. Beside, I did not spend time on it. However, I found a book specifially addressing such a topic. and here it is. probabaly, when you are up in Addis, you might go to the University and might be able to locate on, that is if they have it. here is the title of the book.This an oral history that was collected by the author of the book....

The Ethiopian Patriots : Forgotten Voices of the Italo-Abyssinian War, 1935-41

Probably, when you are up in Addis, you might go to the University and might be able to locate one, that is, if they have it. Here it is the title of the book. This is an oral history that was collected by the author of the book....

ISBN-13: 978-1862274440
Andrew Hilton
getu

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Feb 21, 2009
Hanie wrote:
My mistake in reading then name. Sorry. I somehow thought it reads "WONDENESH" which is entirely quite different to that of the name you proposed. As you pointed out, it is a nice name and I guess, as to its popularity of such a name is questionable at this time, when girls name has been Anglicanised. Yet, I like it very much, since it got a beautiful connotation.
Nemera

Vancouver, WA

#9 Feb 22, 2009
The name that come to mined including what has been said alrady is "Wanie"
WOYO ASMARA

Egypt

#10 Feb 22, 2009
getu wrote:
<quoted text>
My mistake in reading then name. Sorry. I somehow thought it reads "WONDENESH" which is entirely quite different to that of the name you proposed. As you pointed out, it is a nice name and I guess, as to its popularity of such a name is questionable at this time, when girls name has been Anglicanised. Yet, I like it very much, since it got a beautiful connotation.
I am of the view that unpopular names are good than popular once as far as it is original name and is an Ethiopian. I don't think it will be interesting to have a name one can find everywhere. It is the value of popularity of a name should be questioned.
getu

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Feb 22, 2009
WOYO ASMARA wrote:
<quoted text>
I am of the view that unpopular names are good than popular once as far as it is original name and is an Ethiopian. I don't think it will be interesting to have a name one can find everywhere. It is the value of popularity of a name should be questioned.
You are so right. In fact, there are unique names, which have a special meaning, either be it historically or to the very place they originated from. Last time I was in Ethiopia, some of the name I heard was so westernised as has become the norm. What a petty when people are sold with the idea of having westernised name will make one.......You know what I mean

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#12 Feb 22, 2009
how about Wondem nesh=u are like a brother haha
getu

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Feb 22, 2009
-FlowerBomb- wrote:
how about Wondem nesh=u are like a brother haha
As probably knew "WONEM" A BROTHER. There is no a such a name to be given to a girl or a name as such to a baby girl. Of course, unless one realise that they are predicting their little girl is going to be a dyck
amhara

London, UK

#14 Feb 22, 2009
wesene, weder yelesh, weg ayahu, wagaye, web eshet, werq nesh, webete, but why W?
amhara

London, UK

#15 Feb 22, 2009
call her Makda ( queen shebas name) that is my name and i love it.
Sure

Ethiopia

#16 Feb 22, 2009
Hello Robert!
I've got 3 names it can be fine or not
1.Weyna
2.Wesen
3.Webit
getu

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Feb 22, 2009
amhara wrote:
wesene, weder yelesh, weg ayahu, wagaye, web eshet, werq nesh, webete, but why W?
You know, when someone posted on this forum for a name that started with "W" I was having with difficulty to come up with names as you have posted. Seems I have forgotten them all. Thanks for jogging my memory. All of them are so a beautiful name as one desire them to be given to a girl. What a virtuous and elegant name they are.
Hana Efrem

Brighton, CO

#18 Feb 23, 2009
i think Rediet is nice
Mahader
Tsion
Eden
Kidist
Ruth
Extraterrestrial

Egypt

#19 Feb 23, 2009
Name suggestion:
Weyneshet or Woinshet, Welela, Wubayehu, Wubeneshe, Wubeanchie(Mengestu's wife name).

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#20 Feb 23, 2009
Extraterrestrial wrote:
Name suggestion:
Weyneshet or Woinshet, Welela, Wubayehu, Wubeneshe, Wubeanchie(Mengestu's wife name).
i like welela
nadi

Heidesheim, Germany

#22 Sep 20, 2010
I love Welela!!! That will be the seconed name of my first daughther which will be born soon

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ethiopia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Everyone keeps saying mixed Ethiopians always l... (Dec '08) 1 hr libra love 262
Ethiopians are DEFINITELY Black!!!!! Mon David 1
****Breakin news****Mengistu Hailemariam died o... (Apr '13) Mon Jesse G Hutton 434
Why are Ethiopians and somali so racist toward... (Apr '13) May 31 trollslayer 100
Ethiopians are NOT Black!!!!! (Feb '12) May 30 David 2,420
How to use white racism againat black to their ... May 30 Walelign 1
Ethiopian Men should date White Girls NOW (Jul '12) May 30 Sammy 81
More from around the web