does anyone know about Bilal the so called "ethiopian slave"

Posted in the Ethiopia Forum

abrish

Marysville, WA

#1 Jan 6, 2013
I was watching a documentary on BBC just recently and when they were talking about the origins of islam the narrator kept repeating over and over about bilal the ethiopian slave as if our history consists of slavery when he could be talking about all of the great deeds our ancestors have done in order to save islam from annihilation, but yet all the mention we get is about bilal the slave. So i'm curious about bilal because i have a hard time believing he was an actual axumite or even agaw, but likely from gambella region or perhaps an oromo war prisoner(which also seems unlikely.) Does anyone know the ethnic background of bilal or whether he existed at all?
Ezana

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Jan 6, 2013
Yes. He was an ethiopian. Not modern ethiopian but ancient real Cush Ethiopia. In Nubia. A Nubian ethiopian Cush. Not Christian sematic Habesha. We habeshas don't have a name called bila or ever sang ala akbur , U r welcome.
Alex

Mississauga, Canada

#3 Jan 6, 2013
abrish wrote:
I was watching a documentary on BBC just recently and when they were talking about the origins of islam the narrator kept repeating over and over about bilal the ethiopian slave as if our history consists of slavery when he could be talking about all of the great deeds our ancestors have done in order to save islam from annihilation, but yet all the mention we get is about bilal the slave. So i'm curious about bilal because i have a hard time believing he was an actual axumite or even agaw, but likely from gambella region or perhaps an oromo war prisoner(which also seems unlikely.) Does anyone know the ethnic background of bilal or whether he existed at all?
Yes, I know he was Axum, Tigray. He spoke fluent Agaminya. Ezna is the descendant of one of the siblings of Imam Bilal, the Muazeen, the prayer caller. The Saudis did not call him a slave. Nor the Quran or the hadith (supplementary book to Quran) refer to him a slave. It's the British who assumed he was a slave because he was from Ethiopia.
The set is this: The British have control of Ethiopia thru TPLF government. They donate money so Tigrays live a better life than the rest of Ethiopia. BBC refers ancient Ezana relative a slave. And you don't like it. But, Ezana, Meles, bereket, Sibhat are coy about British racist degradation of Tigray. Theey toss it as "they are not talking about us". You are in a fix. What to choose to do is yours. be a slave to power and money and keep quite like Ezana and TPLF cohorts or be a man and speak up against stinking words of hateful and degrading racism on one hand and food, money and powr on the other hand of the British to Tigray.
Zewdu

Ethiopia

#5 Jan 6, 2013
abrish wrote:
He could be a Habesha or any ethnic group from HOA!Human trafficking has always been there around the coastal Horn of Africa which is still in practice even in modern days happening to refugees in Sudan,Egypt and Yemen being abducted and sold like anything! Prisoners of war were especially victims of such a dehumanizing experience for example Abraham Hanibal;the great grandfather of Alexander Pushkin and thus Bilal Al Habashi could fall in to so many of the reasons to be a slave in a different culture.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ethiopia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ethiopians are NOT Black!!!!! (Feb '12) 1 hr David 2,367
Ethiopia. 5 hr Zewdi 50
Humanity before ethnicity: a slogan for humantr... 9 hr Hezbollah El homo 3
ADVICE to E S A T & Arbegnoch Ginbot 7 11 hr Adul 17
Amaras are Ethiopia's intl dicks 15 hr Zewdi 48
Gojam is a name of Oromo Father whose children ... 15 hr Zewdi 62
T P L F & E P L F Cadres Active Again on Topix... 16 hr Adul 20
More from around the web