Do Ethiopians Have Anything Agianst D...
An Intelligent person

Columbus, OH

#577 Jul 10, 2009
Tasamah wrote:
First of all Tasamah is a mans name
I was not implying the gender of the poster, merely the situation.
Either male or female the point is the same.
getu

Saint Paul, MN

#578 Jul 10, 2009
loveachild wrote:
<quoted text>
If what you say above is the truth, then I guess you will never be able to win an election in this country or anywhere eles because of your long past history as Arab slave subjects. It very obvious that the white Arabs left their imprint on you psychic. I read where one of your ethiopian sisters by the name of "Ethiopian Queen" bragged about her grandfather once held other blacks in that region of the black continent as slaves and smiled about feeding them the left-over food from their plates, as well as having them chained up to pole in the back of the house. That is the history of ethiopia as told by an ethiopian. No, I do not think that you will ever be able to challenge the white Arabs who exploit your resources and your women. The impact of slavery will not let you speak out against the white Arabs. It so much easier to attack others who look like you. We call it "Chicken-George" syndrome in the USA.
The comment was not addressed to you. At any rate, though I do respect your opinions, disturbingly I found your comment coming out of an ignorant man, who rather make an informed statement out of naivete or the lack of understanding of history of my country. Otherwise, you would not have erred by making a statement that Ethiopia ever been colonised by any other nation, let alone enslaved by these coward Arabs. But then, I do not expect you or your kinds to understand what I meant by it, since it seems your prism of history is so limited. My assumption being that the only time you ever heard about most of the African nations in general or Ethiopia in particular is not of your reading or education, most likely it is by chance encounter of meeting these women from Africa, which seems to be what I am founding out on this forum.

In fact my country has contributed so much for your country at a time when the UN went to war in Korea 1950-53, the Congo expedition of the 1960, which my country was the major contributor and now in Somalia, which we have spilled our blood. I am sure, you do not have any idea of my country. I suggest stick with what you know and that is trying to hook up with these women, instead of subbing in a history that is beyond your ability

As if stupidity being your virtue, you went on by stating the imprint effect of being slave and owned by others. That is a laugh. It is rather so obvious you are talking about yourself, despite the change of time, still stuck with that mentality of blaming others, instead of accepting that past fact of your history and changing your mindset to better your generation.

I sincerely believe that the difference between you and I is that we are diametrically the opposite of the historical axiom. After saying that the lack of understanding the simplest rudimentary aspect of history would have sufficed you not to make such an error. One more thing the only connection you and I have the basic denominator of our colour, which is like that of a Korean to that of Japanese, though both of them being a yellow race. Though, it might be too much to ask from you, I suggest that the least you could is to read on my country from the internet, since I do not expect from you to go to the library.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#579 Jul 12, 2009
getu wrote:
<quoted text> "In fact my country has contributed so much for your country at a time when the UN went to war in Korea 1950-53, the Congo expedition of the 1960, which my country was the major contributor and now in Somalia, which we have spilled our blood..., you went on by stating the imprint effect of being slave and owned by others. That is a laugh. It is rather so obvious you are talking about yourself,... After saying that One more thing the only connection you and I have the basic denominator of our colour,...
First of all, I never said that Ethiopia was colonized by another nation, only that your people were enslaved by Arabs (and probably by Jews, which would be a long stretch, but it's not totally out of the question)

Nonetheless, I read your entire post and elected to focus on the excerpts above. Your attempt to grab control of truth by using derogatory pronouns to define who I am "will just not work." To the contrary, it is you who lacks understanding when it comes to one's history. I, on the otherhand, clearly understand and accept my history in its entirity. I'm very proud to be a descendant of "African slaves." For had it not been for the pain, suffering, sacrifice, and steadfastness of my ancestors, I and others of AA ethnicity would not be where we are today. When I thnink about my African ancestors who were betrayed by various tribes which lied, tricked, and captured hundreds of thousands only to hand them over to white Europeans in exchange for mediocre material goods, I find it quite difficult to sit by and watch OREOs thugs from the HOA speak out in detogatory fashions about my people. When our president visited the nation of Ghana and was taken to view the area known as the "Door of No Return" it brought home the reality of what life must have been like for our passed loved-ones as they stood, sat, laid in an over-crowed structure, full of human waste, diseases, and the smell of death all about them. By the grace of God, they managed to find the strength to survive and the will to undergo horrific circumstances down through the years.

As a select people, we have held strong to our faith and the knowledge that we are a significant people, blessed by God to serve out his will and purpose in this world. So you see, I know who I am, as well as the origins from whence I came. Do know that those origins extend all the way back to our motherland, "Africa."

"continue..."

Location hidden

#580 Jul 12, 2009
getu wrote:
<quoted text>
"cont..."

...Unlike you and your kind, I am not ashame to have slavery mentioned as an experience that my ancestors had to endure. It was necessary for them to pay the utimate price so that we, their offsprings, could have the right to enjoy all that our new homeland has to offer its citizens (and as it has turned out, the price paid appears to have enhanced the quality of life for all who desire to reach her shores and call America his/her home). As for you and your kind, you deny your place in history as a "slave." We all know that your grandfathers held black Africans as slaves, which is very shameful, when thinking about it. Your sister, Ethiopian Queen, saw it as something to brag about, sort of a status symbol. But, that is nothing more than a behavior which your ancestors obtained from your "white Arab slave-masters" from days past. If EQ said that she remembered as a little girl of her grandfather owning blacks as slaves, then it's probably true. There is no benefit that I can see in her making false truths.

Lastly, you and I, as well as other AAs, do not have much in common. Your colour is not my colour. We are "Black People." You and your kind do not consider yourselves to be black, but instead a unique and isolated race that can be traced back to your Arab influences, similar to your Somali brothers/sisters. Your mannerisms are Arab-like, who nurtured your overall being for so many years.

In short, there is nowhere in AAs history, where an Ethiopian came to the aide of blacks. All through history, you were nowhere to be found during any of our struggles. Your claim of having particpated in certain wars back in the 50ties and 60ties was nothing more than bowing down to a gove't who we as a people found oppressive ourselves. Don't recall seeing any film-footage of Ethiopians getting beat-up side the head during the civil-rights marches. Don't recall Ethiopians facing and challenging the race riots of the 20ties and 40ties.

AAs need to take notice fo who their friends are. We have tried to open up our communities and welcome you as one, yes you, a people who despise and want nothing to do with us. It is time that AA come to realize who their real enemies are. I would look no farther than the HOA as the place of origins.
getu

Saint Paul, MN

#581 Jul 12, 2009
loveachild wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, I never said that Ethiopia was colonized by another nation, only that your people were enslaved by Arabs (and probably by Jews, which would be a long stretch, but it's not totally out of the question)
Nonetheless, I read your entire post and elected to focus on the excerpts above. Your attempt to grab control of truth by using derogatory pronouns to define who I am "will just not work." To the contrary, it is you who lacks understanding when it comes to one's history. I, on the otherhand, clearly understand and accept my history in its entirity. I'm very proud to be a descendant of "African slaves." For had it not been for the pain, suffering, sacrifice, and steadfastness of my ancestors, I and others of AA ethnicity would not be where we are today. When I thnink about my African ancestors who were betrayed by various tribes which lied, tricked, and captured hundreds of thousands only to hand them over to white Europeans in exchange for mediocre material goods, I find it quite difficult to sit by and watch OREOs thugs from the HOA speak out in detogatory fashions about my people. When our president visited the nation of Ghana and was taken to view the area known as the "Door of No Return" it brought home the reality of what life must have been like for our passed loved-ones as they stood, sat, laid in an over-crowed structure, full of human waste, diseases, and the smell of death all about them. By the grace of God, they managed to find the strength to survive and the will to undergo horrific circumstances down through the years.
As a select people, we have held strong to our faith and the knowledge that we are a significant people, blessed by God to serve out his will and purpose in this world. So you see, I know who I am, as well as the origins from whence I came. Do know that those origins extend all the way back to our motherland, "Africa."
"continue..."
You can write all your diatribe till kingdom come. There is nothing new you can tell me, as far, your history goes. Since, you are so bent on your beliefs about Ethiopia, if it makes you happy, then so be it. But then, since your version of history about Ethiopia's past is so new and fresh, I suggest you ought to write on the very subject at least an article on major journal or better yet a book on the subject. Who know, history that was accepted and chronicled by the very people who went through it might realise their mistake they made and yours eventually might be the standard. Good luck on your writing pursuit
Tasamah

Pasadena, CA

#582 Jul 20, 2009
You dirty afro-am how dare you say we were enslaved. We never got our ass whipped like you fat lips baboons your a fucking n***** and need to cut this bullshit okay. We Ethiopians have been free always and even ruled half of the Arabian peninsula at one point. So I don't know what the buck you are talking about but it is BULLSHIT! Go back to eating your chiken fry watermelon coolade And peach cobler!

Don't ever say some wrong goddamn bullshit like that bitch understand? Good.
Tasamah

Pasadena, CA

#583 Jul 20, 2009
We are the ones who gave you southern overbaked weirdos to the Arabs lovechild!
Tasamah

Pasadena, CA

#584 Jul 20, 2009
Ethiopians are civilized and have a highly developed culture unlike oth africans

Location hidden

#585 Jul 20, 2009
Tasamah wrote:
You dirty afro-am how dare you say we were enslaved..
I'm sorry to see that you are having difficulty accepting the truth about your recent ancestrial pass. You are correct about one thing, however, my African ancestors did get their butts beat down during the course of slavery as history depicts. But your ancestors as well were the recipient of harsh and hideous treatments, to include getting beat down. The real distinction from my enslaved ancestors and those of yours, in East Africa, and as well as those of the Gold Coast, was the fact that deaths were probably more prevalent among black slaves on the continent of Africa than on America's soil due to the differences in sure numbers. In America, can't speak for South America, the human slave cargo was limited in supply. The vicious white slave owners could not aford to kill off their stock of human slaves in large numbers because it ws not economically sound. As a result, the blacks suffered horrific and hideous punishments to include inimaginable whippings and other cruel acts such as permanent disfigurement and amputation of limbs to say the least.(continue...)

Location hidden

#586 Jul 20, 2009
In Africa, the abundance of slaves were in large quantity both on the West Coast and in eastern Africa, your neck of the woods. American black slaves who sought freedom from attempted escapes and other acts of defiance were severely punished but seldom put to death. However, blacks in East Africa because of sure numbers were probably murdered on the spot. The white-Arab slave-raiders were a ruthless specie, who could care less about the life of a black African. They more-likely looked upon them as being "a dime a dozen" and would use the practice of murdering on the spot in front of other captured slaves as a mechanism to keep the masses in line. Now I know that you dispute all claims of colonization of your country and perhaps the region. But, you have to considered that the white-racist Arabs were not interested in a "land grab"--they were desert people who wanted little to do with the dark African jungle but for the capture and enslavement of her people so that they could be transported via feet, back to the Middle-east to serve as slaves. Just as the case in America, as well as South America, your people come in all shades and colours. There has to be a legitimate explanation than the ones previously given by others who have posted on this thread. I have read where some are claiming that you all are descendants of Europeans. Can you believe it, "black Africa, suddenly came to breed the blackness out of her race without a clue." It's as if your people one day long ago fell out of the universe as light skinned, yellow, mulatto Africans. "Can you please come back to reality, this has gone far beyond laughable; it's quickly becoming the ridiculous." The mixiing of blood via forced sexual cohabitation was a likely result of the sinister Arabs men who took delight in your women.

Location hidden

#587 Jul 20, 2009
Anyway, let's cut to the chase. Please check out the site: http//www.negroartist.com/
scroll down to the title: "Slave Document and History" and you will find a photo of a East African who was enslaved by white Arabs after seeing his father get murdered.

Then go to the site entitled: "The Dark Face of Slavery" and you will find numerous photos representing Indian Ocean East African slaves by the hundreds aboard a slave-ship. Also, in other photos are young East African boys who are in the belly of a slave ship. It is a sad photo to gaze upon.

In addition there are numerous sites of interest to spend time in to include Malcolm X, Dr. MLK, Buffalo Soldiers, Marcus Garvey, Haile Selassie, and more.

Since: Jun 09

New York City

#588 Jul 21, 2009
To All of Those African American haters here's a list of prominent African American that love Ethiopia & Africa and has done more to change the plight of humanity than those whom post hateful comment about a history & a people they don't know, the reality is that their jealous & envious of Afr.Amer.- And of course i am included in this list:
o Aaliyah
o Hank Aaron
o Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
o Ralph Abernathy
o Freddy Adu
o Alvin Ailey
o Akon
o Ira Aldridge
o Archibald Alphonso Alexander
o Muhammad Ali
o Debbie Allen
o Richard Allen
o Marian Anderson
o Maya Angelou
o Carmelo Anthony
o James Armistead
o Henry Armstrong
o Louis Armstrong
o Matthew Ashby
o Arthur Ashe
o Evelyn Ashford
o Crispus Attucks
o James Baldwin
o Ella Baker
o Josephine Baker
o Ernie Banks
o Benjamin Banneker
o Amira Baraka
o Charles Barkley
o Richmond Barthé
o Count Basie
o Jean-Michel Basquiat
o Angela Bassett
o Daisy Bates
o Elgin Baylor
o Bob Beamon
o Romare Bearden
o DaMarcus Beasley
o Harry Belafonte
o Shari Belafonte-Harper
o James "Cool Papa" Bell
o Albert Belle
o Andre Benjamin (Andre 3000)
o Chuck Berry
o Halle Berry
o Mary McLeod Bethune
o Black Panthers
o Eubie Blake
o Mary J. Blige
o Julian Bond
o Barry Bonds
o Arna Bontemps
o Ralph Boston
o Edward Bouchet
o Lil' Bow Wow
o Boyz II Men
o Benjamin Bradley
o Tom Bradley
o Brandy
o Herman Russell Branson
o Andre Braugher
o Carol Moseley-Braun
o Valerie Brisco-Hooks
o Lou Brock
o Edward Brooke
o Avery Brooks
o Gwendolyn Brooks
o Foxy Brown
o James Brown
o Jim Brown
o Kobe Bryant
o Buck Buchanan
o Edward Bullins
o Ralph Bunche
o Harry T. Burleigh
o Leroy Burrell
o LeVar Burton
o Octavia Butler
o Lee Calhoun
o Cab Calloway
o Roy Campanella
o Earl Campbell
o Milt Campbell
o Rod Carew
o Stokely Carmichael
o Diahann Carroll
o Julia Carson
o Benny Carter
o Betty Carter
o Cris Carter
o George Washington Carver
o Wilt Chamberlain
o Chamillionaire
o Emmett W. Chappelle
o Ray Charles
o Charles W. Chesnutt
o Chingy
o Shirley Anita St. Hill Chisholm
o Chuck D
o Ciara
o Joseph Cinqué
o Kenneth B. Clark
o Eldridge Cleaver
o George Clinton
o Alice Coachman
o Johnny Cochran
o Jewel Plummer Cobb
o Natalie Cole
o Nat "King" Cole
o Rebecca Cole
o John Coltrane
o Sean "Diddy" Combs
o John Conyers
o Coolio
o Bill Cosby
o David Crosthwait, Jr.
o Scatman Crothers
o Paul Cuffe
o Countee Cullen
o Dorothy Dandridge
o Angela Davis
o Benjamin O. Davis, Jr.
o Benjamin O. Davis, Sr.
o Ernie Davis
o Miles Davis
o Ossie Davis
o Sammy Davis Jr.
o Dominique Dawes
o William L. Dawson
o Ruby Dee
o Anita DeFrantz
o Martin Robinson Delany
o Destiny's Child
o Robert Nathaniel Dett
o Gail Devers
o Eric Dickerson
o Bo Diddley
o Harrison Dillard
o David Dinkins
o Father Divine
o DMX
o Larry Doby
o Snoop Dogg
o Antoine "Fats" Domino
o Tony Dorsett
o Thomas A. Dorsey
o Frederick Douglass
o James "Buster" Douglas
o Dr. Dre
o Charles Richard Drew
o W. E. B. Du Bois
o Paul Laurence Dunbar
o Katherine Dunham
o Jean Baptiste Point du Sable
Marian Wright Edelman
o Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds
o Clarence L. Elder
o Lee Elder
o Joycelyn Elders
o Duke Ellington
o Missy Elliott
o Ralph Ellison
o Philip Emeagwali
o Julius "Dr. J" Erving
o Lee Evans
o Medgar Evers
o Myrlie Evers-Williams
o Patrick Ewing
o James Farmer
o Louis Farrakhan
o Cecil Fielder
o Ella Fitzgerald
o Laurence Fishburne
o Lil' Fizz
o Curt Flood
o Evan Forde
o George Foreman
o Redd Foxx
o Aretha Franklin
o John Hope Franklin
o Joe Frazier
o Walt Frazier
o John Freeman
o Morgan Freeman
o The Fugees
o Charles Fuller
o Clarence "Big House" Gaines
o Alonzo "Jake" Gaither
o The Game
o Henry Highland Garnet

The list still goes on… The contribution of all these African Americans to our society is great.

New York City

#589 Jul 21, 2009
The Fugees
o Charles Fuller
o Clarence "Big House" Gaines
o Alonzo "Jake" Gaither
o The Game
o Henry Highland Garnet
o Marcus Garvey
o Cito Gaston
o Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
o Marvin Gaye
o George Gervin
o Althea Gibson
o Bob Gibson
o Josh Gibson
o Dizzy Gillespie
o Yolande Cornelia "Nikki" Giovanni
o Danny Glover
o Whoopi Goldberg
o Cuba Gooding, Jr.
o Berry Gordy, Jr.
o Louis Gossett, Jr.
o Joe Greene
o Greensboro Four
o Pam Grier
o Ken Griffey, Jr.
o Archie Griffin
o Florence Griffith Joyner
o Archibald H. Grimke
o Tony Gwynn
o Marvin Hagler
o Alex Haley
o Lloyd Augustus Hall
o Prince Hall
o Fannie Lou (Townsend) Hamer
o Lisa Gay Hamilton
o Jupiter Hammon
o Lionel Hampton
o Herbie Hancock
o William Christopher Handy
o Lorraine Hansberry
o Ben Harper
o Barbara C. Harris
o Franco Harris
o William H. Hastie
o Richard Gordon Hatcher
o Elvin Hayes
o Roland Hayes
o Thomas Hearns
o Rickey Henderson
o Jimi Hendrix
o Matthew Henson
o Leon A. Higginbotham, Jr.
o Anita Hill
o Lauryn Hill
o Gregory Hines
o Billie Holiday
o Larry Holmes
o Evander Holyfield
o John Lee Hooker
o Bell Hooks
o Benjamin Hooks
o Lena Horne
o Charles Hamilton Houston
o Whitney Houston
o William DeHart Hubbard
o Langston Hughes
o Zora Neale Hurston
o Ice Cube
o Ice T
o Samuel Elmer Imes
o Roy Innis
o Bo Jackson
o Janet Jackson
o Jesse Jackson
o Mahalia Jackson
o Maynard Jackson
o Michael Jackson
o Reggie Jackson
o Samuel L. Jackson
o Daniel "Chappie" James, Jr.
o LeBron James
o Judith Jamison
o Ja Rule
o Jay-Z
o Eve Jeffers
o Mae Jemison
o Thomas L. Jennings
o Derek Jeter
o Ervin "Magic" Johnson
o Jack Johnson
o James Weldon Johnson
o John Johnson
o Johnnie Johnson
o Judy Johnson
o Michael Johnson
o Rafer Johnson
o Robert Johnson
o Robert L. Johnson
o Deacon Jones
o Frederick McKinley Jones
o James Earl Jones
o Lois Mailou Jones
o Marion Jones
o Mike Jones
o Quincy Jones
o Roy Jones Jr.
o Scott Joplin
o Barbara Jordan
o Michael Jordan
o Jackie Joyner-Kersee
o Percy Julian
o Johanna July
o Ernest Everett Just
o Maulana Karenga
o Jason Kidd
o Lil' Kim
o Jamaica Kincaid
o B.B. King
o Coretta Scott King
o Don King
o Martin Luther King Jr.
o Anna Kingsley
o Eartha Kitt
o John Mercer Langston
o Nella Larsen
o Eriq La Salle
o Queen Latifah
o Lewis Howard Latimer
o Martin Lawrence
o Jacob Lawrence
o Huddie Ledbetter
o Buck Leonard
o Sugar Ray Leonard
o Bill Lewis
o Carl Lewis
o Edmonia Lewis
o John R. Lewis
o Reginald Lewis
o Sonny Liston
o Earl Lloyd
o Alain Locke
o Greenbury Logan
o Joe Louis
o Toussaint L'Ouverture
o Ludacric
o Bernie Mac
o Malcolm X
o Karl Malone
o Moses Malone
o Wynton Marsalis
o Thurgood Marshall
o Willie Mays
o Bob McAdoo
o Henry Cecil Ransom McBay
o Willie McCovey
o Elijah J. McCoy
o Hattie McDaniel
o Floyd McKissick
o Butterfly McQueen
o James Meredith
o Kweisi Mfume
o Cheryl Miller
o Charles Mingus
o Arthur Mitchell
o Joe Morgan
o Thelonious Monk
o Warren Moon
o Archie Moore
o Michael Moorer
o Garrett Augustus Morgan
o Toni Morrison
o Ferdinand "Jelly Roll" Morton
o Mos Def
o Edwin Moses
o Marion Motley
o Robert Russa Moton
o Benjamin Franklin Muhammad
o Elijah Muhammad
o Calvin Murphy
o Eddie Murphy
o Eddie Murray
o Mya
o Nas
o Nelly
o Aaron Neville
o Huey Newton
o Thandie Newton
o Fayard Nicholas
o Jessye Norman
o Eleanor Holmes Norton
o The Notorious B.I.G.
o Barack Obama
o Hakeem Olajuwon
o Shaquille O'Neal
o Outkast
o Jesse Owens
o Master P
o Alan Page
o Satchel Paige
o Charlie "Bird" Parker
o Gordon Parks
o Rosa Parks
o Floyd Patterson
o Antwan Patton (Big Boi)
o Walter Payton
o Calvin Peete
o Ann Petry
o P. B. S. Pinchback
o Jada Pinkett-Smith
o Horace Pippin
o Scottie Pippen
o Leonard Pitts, Jr.
o Homer Plessy

New York City

#590 Jul 21, 2009
o Muddy Waters
o Faye Wattleton
o J. C. Watts
o Damon Wayans
o Keenan Ivory Wayans
o Carl Weathers
o Robert C. Weaver
o Junior Wells
o Ida B. Wells-Barnett
o Cornel West
o Dorothy West
o Kanye West
o Phyllis Wheatley
o Forest Whitaker
o Pernell Whitaker
o Bill White
o Reggie White
o Walter White
o John Edgar Wideman
o Lenny Wilkens
o Dominique Wilkins
o Roy Wilkins
o Daniel Hale Williams
o George Washington Williams
o Jayson Williams
o Peter Williams, Jr.
o Peter Williams, Sr.
o Serena Williams
o Vanessa Williams
o Venus Williams
o Fred Williamson
o John Lee "Sonny Boy" Williamson
o August Wilson
o Cassandra Wilson
o Flip Wilson
o Augusta Christine Fells Savage
o Gale Sayers
o Dred Scott
o Seal
o Bobby Seale
o Myra C. Selby
o Tupac Shakur
o Ntozake Shange
o Fred Shuttlesworth
o Charlie Sifford
o Nina Simone
o O.J. Simpson
o Sinbad
o Robert Smalls
o Bessie Smith
o Emmitt Smith
o Lee Smith
o Ozzie Smith
o Will Smith
o Wesley Snipes
o Joel Elias Spingarn
o Leon Spinks
o Latrell Sprewell
o Willie Stargell
o C. K.(Charles Kenzie) Steele
o William Grant Still
o Carl B. Stokes
o Moorfield Storey
o Lynn Swann
o Howard Swanson
o Sheryl Swoopes
o Henry Tanner
o Lawrence Taylor
o Mary Eliza Church Terrell
o Clarence Thomas
o Frank Thomas
o Isiah Thomas
o Thurman Thomas
o John Thompson
o Wallace Thurman
o Tone-Loc
o Jean Toomer
o Pierre Toussaint
o Virgil Garnett Trice, Jr.
o Sojourner Truth
o Harriet Tubman
o Chris Tucker
o Charles Henry Turner
o Tina Turner
o Nat Turner
o Cicely Tyson
o Mike Tyson

o Sidney Poitier
o Fritz Pollard
o Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.
o Colin Powell
o Mike Powell
o Leontyne Price
o Prince
o Richard Pryor
o Gabriel Prosser
o Kirby Puckett
o Maurice F. Rabb, Jr.
o Gertrude "Ma" Rainey
o Joseph Rainey
o A. Philip Randolph
o Virginia Randolph
o Charles Rangel
o Otis Redding
o Willis Reed
o Gloria Reuben
o Hiram R. Revels
o Butch Reynolds
o Ving Rhames
o Condoleezza Rice
o Jerry Rice
o Pretty Ricky
o Norbert Rillieux
o Oscar Robertson
o Paul Robeson
o David Robinson
o Eddie Robinson
o Frank Robinson
o Holly Robinson-Peete
o Jackie Robinson
o Smokey Robinson
o Sugar Ray Robinson
o Chris Rock
o Dennis Rodman
o Esther Rolle
o Howard E. Rollins, Jr.
o Lil' Romeo
o Diana Ross
o Carl Rowan
o Darius Rucker
o Wilma Rudolph
o Bill Russell
o John Russwurm
o Bayard Rustin
o Busta Rhymes
o Ignatius Sancho
o Barry Sanders
o Deion Sanders

o Wyomia Tyus
o Gene Upshaw
o Luther Vandross
o Gustavus Vassa
o Sarah Vaughan
o Mo Vaughn
o Denmark Vesey
o Dwyane Wade
o Jersey Joe Walcott
o Alice Walker
o Herschel Walker
o Maggie Lena (Mitchell) Walker
o Sarah "Madame C J Walker" Walker
o Thomas "Fats" Waller
o Charlie Ward
o Booker T. Washington
o Denzel Washington
o Dinah Washington
o Harold Washington
o Dave Winfield
o Paul Winfield
o Oprah Winfrey
o Howlin' Wolf
o Stevie Wonder
o Granville T. Woods
o Tiger Woods
o Carter G. Woodson
o Jacqueline Woodson
o Alfre Woodard
o Richard Wright
o Wu-Tang Clan
o Malcolm X
o Andrew Young
o Lester Young
o Roger Arliner Young
o Whitney M. Young, Jr.
o James Van Der Zee
The list still goes on… The contribution of all these African Americans to our society is great.

New York City

#591 Jul 21, 2009
Famous Black African Amer. Mathematicians
Times have witnessed many well-known mathematicians who have come up with interesting new discoveries in the field of mathematics. To know about some of the famous Black mathematicians, read on…
Benjamin Banneker: Born on November 9, 1731, Benjamin Banneker was a Black mathematician, astronomer, clockmaker and publisher. During his childhood years, he was trained in reading and doing basic arithmetic, by his grandmother and a Quaker schoolmaster. When he was capable of helping his parents in working at their farm, he stopped taking formal education. When Banneker was 21 years of age, he saw Andrew Ellicott's pocket watch. Seeing his keen interest in the watch, Ellicott presented it to Banneker. Banneker started examining the watch and it’s working. He designed huge replicas of the watch by calculating the gear assemblies and made a huge striking clock. This invention of Benjamin Banneker served as an accurate timepiece and he earned recognition as a clockmaker. Banneker contributed to the field of astronomy, by devising calculations to predict solar and lunar eclipses.

He is famous for his puzzles in mathematics and trigonometry. His puzzle,'Trigonometry' demonstrates his expertise in logarithms. People still wonder which logarithmic table he might have used. He was instrumental in devising a method of finding the lengths of the sides of an equilateral triangle inscribed in a circle, whose diameter is known. His pioneering discoveries that were to bring a positive change to mathematics make evident the genius in him. He died in 1806 but is remembered as one of the famous Black mathematicians.

Kelly Miller: Born on July 23, 1863, Kelly Miller was a mathematician and also a sociologist, newspaper columnist, author and essayist. He graduated from the Howard University in 1886 and was the first black person to be admitted to Johns Hopkins University. He was a law graduate from the Howard School of Law. In 1890, he was hired as a professor at the Howard University. During his service there, he introduced sociology in the curriculum and gave a new dimension to the classical curriculum during his tenure as a dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. His articles and essays were published in various magazines, newspapers and included in various famous books. He endorsed the concept of a symmetrical development through education, which offered both vocational and intellectual instruction.

New York City

#592 Jul 21, 2009
Elbert Frank Cox: Born on December 5, 1895, Elbert Frank Cox grew up to become the first black person in the world to receive a Ph.D. in mathematics. Since childhood, he exhibited a flair for mathematics and physics. He was also talented in playing violin. He took up a major in mathematics at the Indiana University. He continued his studies, first in the Cornell University and then in the McGill University in Montreal. Being a Black, he had to face difficulties in his pursuit of mathematics, but he rose above them to earn a doctorate in that subject. Cox expanded the work on Euler polynomials and introduced generalized Euler polynomials as also the generalized Boole summation formula and studied several specialized polynomials. From 1925, Cox served the West Virginia State College as a teacher of mathematics and physics. In 1930, he started teaching math at the Howard University. He was an enthusiastic professor and extremely popular among his students. His death in 1969 meant the loss of an excellent teacher and a renowned Black mathematician.

David Blackwell: Born on April 14, 1919, David Blackwell was a Professor Emeritus of Statistics at the University of California. The famous Rao-Blackwell Theorem that deals with transformation of estimators in statistics has been named after this Black mathematician. He was the first African American to make it to the National Academy of Sciences. Since at early age of 16, his love for mathematics kept growing. Accepting the fact that a Black would be allowed to teach only in black colleges, he started applying to various black colleges. He served in the Southern University and then at the Clarke College in Atlanta. In 1946, he became an associate professor in the Howard University. In 1955, he became a professor of statistics at UC, Berkeley. He is among some of the most noted Black mathematicians, times have seen.

J. Earnest Wilkins, Jr.: Born on November 27, 1923, Wilkins was a famous Black mathematicians who entered the University of Chicago aged 13 and completed a B.S in mathematics in four years. Only two years later, he earned a PhD in mathematics from the University of Chicago. He published several papers on a wide range of subjects that included linear differential equations, integrals, differential geometry as also optics and nuclear engineering. Presently, Wilkins serves at the Clark Atlanta University as a Distinguished Professor of applied mathematics and mathematical physics. He finds a place in the list of famous African American mathematicians.

This was an overview of some of the famous Black mathematicians. They have revolutionized the present-day mathematics through their work.

New York City

#593 Jul 21, 2009
The African American community, constituting about 13.4% of the United States population, is no doubt a prominent community in the US. This community has produced some famous leaders who have been guiding the country for a last few decades.

Barack Obama
Barack Obama is the current President of the United States. From a civil rights attorney in Chicago, Barack Obama has come a long way, to become the 44th President of the United States. He was born on 4th August, 1961, in Honolulu, Hawaii. He earned a BA in International Relationships from the Columbia University in 1983, and went on to get a JD, Juris Doctor, from the Harvard Law School in 1991. Obama married Michelle Robinson, from Chicago, on 18th October, 1992. The couple have 2 daughters, Malia and Sasha. Barack Obama's political career started when he succeeded Alice Palmer, as the Senator from Illinois's 13th District, in 1996. Later, he was re-elected in 1998, and again re-elected in 2002. In 2003, when the Democrats regained majority, he was appointed Chairman of Illinois Senate's Health and Human Services Committee. Obama became only the third Senator of African American origin to be elected by popular vote in United States history, when he garnered 70% votes in the 2004 general elections. Barack Obama declared his candidacy for the 2008 Democratic nomination in February 2007. After getting the better of Democrat Hillary Clinton, Obama went on to defeat the Republican candidate John McCain to become the first ever African American President of the United States of America.

Colin Powell
Colin Powell is an American statesman and former General of the United States Army. He was appointed the 65th United States Secretary of State, between the period 2001 and 2005, during the George Bush regime. He was born on 5th April, 1937, in New York, United States. Powell earned a Bachelors degree from the City College of New York and later went on to earn the MBA degree from the George Washington University. Colin Powell was the first person of African American origin to serve as Secretary of the State. Prior to this, he also served as the National Security Advisor, from 1987 to 1989, during the Ronald Reagan regime. Before retirement from the US Army, he also served as the 12th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. A moderate Republican, Powell was unanimously selected by the Senate. Throughout his career, he was admired for his willingness to support the centrist as well as liberal causes.

Condoleezza Rice
Condoleezza Rice is a diplomat, security expert and a professor from the United States. She served as the 66th United States Secretary of State, from 2005 to 2009, thus becoming the first woman of African American origin to serve as the Secretary of State. At the same time, she became only the second woman as well as second African American to hold this position in the US government. Condoleezza Rice was born on 14th November, 1954, in Birmingham, Alabama. She completed her BA in Political Science from the University of Denver, in 1974. She went on to get her Masters degree from the University of Notre Dame, in 1975, and a PhD from the Josef Korbel School of International Studies, affiliated to the University of Denver, in 1981. Initially a Democrat, Condoleezza Rice shifted loyalties to the Republicans in 1982, owing to strong opposition to Democrat President Jimmy Carter's foreign policy. After working as a professor of Political Science at the Stanford University for a brief period, Rice joined the Bush administration. During the regime of George Bush, Rice served as the National Security Advisor, from 2001 to 2005, and then as the Secretary of State till 20th January, 2009.

These were some famous African American leaders who aren't just influencing the politics in their country, but are also influencing the World politics since a long time.

New York City

#594 Jul 21, 2009
African Americans joined the revolutionary war, because the principles underlying the revolution implied the end of slavery and granting of rights for them. American historian Benjamin Quarles, understood the African American community's need for equality and freedom, when he summed it up in the following words, "realizing that loyalty was not to a place or a people, but to a principle". Around 5,000 African Americans served as soldiers in the Continental Army and about 20,000 in the British Army.
African Americans in the American Revolution
African Americans served as soldiers, guides, messengers and spies for both, the Continental Army and the British Army. They proved to be honest and brave soldiers, despite many misgivings on the part of the white Southern Americans, especially about arming them with weapons. Following is a brief of some of the African-American soldiers.
Crispus Attucks
Attucks is considered as the first martyr of the American Revolution. In March, 1770, a fight broke out between the British soldiers and a crowd of American colonists led by an African American, Crispus Attucks. In the attack, a British soldier was struck on the head with a stick, which many believe was Attucks handiwork, as he was seen with a stick in his hand. The struck soldier fired his musket at Crispus Attucks and the crowd surrounding him, killing five people instantaneously. Attucks was buried as a hero in the Granary Burying Ground. He is one the few martyrs of that Boston Massacre who is still remembered for his bravery.
Colonel Louis Cook
Louis Cook fought against the British army and it was George Washington, Commander-in-chief of the Continental Army, who referred to him as "Colonel Louis." He participated in many attacks on the British troops, sometimes leading from the front. In March, 1778 he was sent by General Philip Schuyler to destroy British ships at Niagara. He received his commission from Continental Congress as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Continental Army and was the first and perhaps the only African American to be awarded this highest rank, during the revolution.
Colonel Tye
Tye was an African American slave born as Titus Cornelius and was a soldier in the British army. He was a Loyalist guerrilla leader, known for his tactical leadership skills, which earned him the honorary title of a 'Colonel'. His first recorded military action was the capture of an American captain at the Battle of Monmouth in June 1778. Tye attacked and assassinated many American leaders during the revolutionary war. All through 1779, he took prisoners and freed many slaves, seized food and fuel from the American Continental army. Tye was seriously injured in September 1780, by a musket ball attack and later died because of the unhealed wound. He is most known for his tactical skills that made it difficult for American forces, to capture New York City.
Jack Sisson
Sisson payed an important role in the capture of British General Richard Prescott, in July 1977. He was part of the forty armed Continental soldiers, led by Colonel William Barton, who cut across British controlled waters to sneak up on Prescott. Sisson used his own head to break down Prescott's door and capture him. He served as the pilot for one of the boats in this mission.

New York City

#595 Jul 21, 2009
Thomas Peters
Peters is one of the four founding fathers of Freetown, Sierra Leone. Born as a slave and sold numerous times, he managed to escape North Carolina with the Britishers during the American Revolutionary War. He joined the Black Loyalist Regiment, which was made up of many runaway African American slaves. He rose to the rank of a sergeant and was wounded twice in the battle against the American forces. After the war, Peters and many of his fellow soldiers traveled to Nova Soctia, Canada with the British army. He then traveled to England, to further his cause for settling African Americans in Sierra Leone, West Africa and wanted it declared as a free state. He returned triumphant from London and manged to convince about 3,500 African American to move to Africa. Peters died a free man in 1792, in Freetown. He died of malaria.
African Americans, who fought for the British troops were recognized for their bravery and strength. They were also instrumental in the Continental army's win against the Britishers. Although they were not immediately given their due rights of freedom and equality, it ushered them into an era where they could not be stopped from fighting for their rights.

New York City

#596 Jul 21, 2009
Lynching of African Americans
According to an unofficial finding, between 1836 to 1879, every week at least two African Americans were lynched in the United States. Lynching of African Americans was a barbaric way of treating one's fellow citizens. To know more about it read on... Southern trees bear a strange fruit,
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,
Black body swinging in the Southern breeze,
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.

Strange Fruit, by Abel Meeropol

Lynching was an extreme illegal violent act of punishment by self-appointed vigilantes, often resulting in the death of the accused person. The term lynching has been named after Charles Lynch, a Virginia Justice of the Peace, who would mete out justice to an accused. This supposed act of 'justice' was carried out by and in front of a mob, who would gather souvenirs afterwards.

Lynching was a punishment system and a symbol of domination used by white Americans against the African-American community. It was also used against members of the abolitionist movement and all those who opposed slavery and inequality. The veracity of the crime did not matter and the African-Americans received legal or illegal death sentences more often than other non-white American communities. They were frequently accused of robbery, rape, attempted rape or murders. They were also accused of petty offenses such as looking at a white woman, talking back or not being able to repay interest to a white money lender.

The idea behind lynching was clear and simple. It was meant to strike terror in the hearts of the African American population and it did, mercilessly. There were many victims of lynching including the white editor of the Alton Observer, Elijah Parish Lovejoy who was killed for publishing articles criticizing lynching and advocating the abolition of slavery, on 7th November, 1837.

The Ku Klux Klans were one of the many groups formed to intimidate the African-Americans. This group was first formed in 1865 by some Tennessee veterans of the Confederate Army. The purpose of these groups was to protect the rights and maintain white supremacy in the South. Their iconic white robes, masks, conical hats and use of burning crosses combined with harsh crimes and violent acts, struck fear in many African-Americans, Jews and other minorities. Their defeat in the Civil War further aggravated their anxiety and fear of losing their supremacy.

These groups vehemently resisted the Reconstruction Era between 1865 and 1877 and increased their brutalities, even forcing the freed slaves to work on plantations. Southern conservatives who now were part of the national party, got restless with the groups' excesses and disowned the Klan by 1870. However, that did not stop the lynching, it just become more subtle. It was carried out privately in the prisons where the African-American offenders were held.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ethiopia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ethiopians are NOT Black!!!!! (Feb '12) 23 hr dprain45 2,661
Ethiopian girls are becoming the new somali gir... Wed Lily 4
Silent SNNPR Wed Walelign 1
Addis Abeba (Sep '13) Tue just_find 32
Muslim clan Somalian warefare as a refugee in S... Tue Walelign 2
Poll Was King Solomon of Israel white? (Jun '12) Tue Anonymous 52
why do amhara and tigray people hate each othe... (Jul '13) Sep 26 Anonymous 40
More from around the web