Do all Ethiopians consider themselves...

Do all Ethiopians consider themselves Black or does it vary?

Posted in the Ethiopia Forum

First Prev
of 46
Next Last
Habesha konjo

Brisbane, Australia

#1 Oct 16, 2008
I am trying to explore if the concept of Blackness is more of a Native phenomenon or a foreign concept that has evolved over time. Please do not confuse Black with African or Non-Black with some type of racial division. I am just trying to find out how Ethiopians on average see themselves related to the identity of Black in whichever definition they think the identity Black applies.

There are no right or wrong answers. Just an exploration of perception.

And I also created answers for non ethiopians to answer if you want as well.

If you want to post your personal definition of what Black means or doesn't mean to you that would be great as well.

Thank You

“oooooooo”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#2 Oct 16, 2008
Habesha konjo wrote:
I am trying to explore if the concept of Blackness is more of a Native phenomenon or a foreign concept that has evolved over time. Please do not confuse Black with African or Non-Black with some type of racial division. I am just trying to find out how Ethiopians on average see themselves related to the identity of Black in whichever definition they think the identity Black applies.
There are no right or wrong answers. Just an exploration of perception.
And I also created answers for non ethiopians to answer if you want as well.
If you want to post your personal definition of what Black means or doesn't mean to you that would be great as well.
Thank You
I don't know what you trying to say or to know,but I'll tell you this Ethiopians are black but BEAUTIFUL BLACK. You just say so HABESHA KONJO. Ethiopians the most beautiful black people in the world.AMEN!!!!!!!!!!
PrImO

Arlington, TX

#3 Oct 16, 2008
Mannnn!!!!Opra says something to make you guys feel welcomed and it goes to your heads. Yes there are some very beautiful girls from Ethio but not all are hot and beleive me I know. If your people always think like this then it's just as well that you are beautiful outside because you are very ugly inside. You guys think so highly of your selves that you may one day think that God is below you. You portray your selves as God' gift to humanity. Konjo...ha lol....more like askaYAMe!!!!!like it or not...your nature is very ugly...and your poop dosen't smell like flowers...
Selam

Bothell, WA

#5 Oct 17, 2008
I am ethiopian and i don blieve that We are black NO question but we like to be called ethiopian beacouse black is very broad.

Mannn, what is wrong with you?? Why are you attacking the person?
Selam

Bothell, WA

#6 Oct 17, 2008
I do blieve that we are black

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#7 Oct 19, 2008
I don't know why's there 's such a big commotion on Ethiopian's not considering themselves black ... yes genetically there indigenous black african ...in fact they represent one of the oldest black African population's in Tropical Africa along with the Khoisan's of course ... but culturally they are not Black ... it's the same thing for most african people except South African's and Kenyan's since they have long emotional connection's to America ... we African's see in term's of nationality and tribe ... if you are a Habesha your a Habesha , if you are a Zulu you are a Zulu , if you are a Tutsi you are a Tutsi , if you are a Hausa you are a Hausa , if you are a Masai you are a Masai ... end of the story ... and if not that it's Ethiopian , South African ,Rwandese ,Nigerian , or Kenyan ... us African's usually treat African - American's as their own ethnic group ... Black's ... it's like if Black - American's represent their own ethnic group just like Habesha's and Oromo's do ... so when Ethiopian's say their not black ... their not talking about race ... but fucking tribe /ethnicity and culture ... it like Black - American's saying their not Ethiopian or Malian ... FYI almost all African's have negative view's of Black - American's ... the media feed's them this information ... point blank ... for example my family or just simply the whole Rwandese / Burundian /Nubian community has some form of negative view towards African American's ...I've heard a lot about African American's in my day ... none of them positive or bright ... FYI I'm of Tutsi / Nubian descent !!!

" Don't talk to any of those black children their bad influence ...Why are you dressing like your black... why are you acting black ... you look ghetto like a black boy ... your acting ghetto , this is what you get from hanging out with those black boy's ... why date a black girl , their ugly look at them ... a Rwandese girl is mush better or at least a Burundian ... and if not that we'll settle with a Nubian ... even a Ethiopian ... look at them they don't even know how to talk correct English ... their lazy I tell you those Black American's ...they don't work , they ware gold teeth , they smell , their fat ... they embarrass us all ... it's like those white's picked the worst of us ... when they brought those Hutu's ( Slave ) here "

" Their ugly with big noses and ugly teeth ... their alway's yelling and complaining for everything ... I don't know why all those black's are happy about Obama ... he's not one of them he's Kenyan not black ... if he was black do you think he would have got this far ... all they do is shout racism when those stupid gorilla's have it good ... look how the women dress like prostitute's with their fat butt's ... I'd rather see a Chinese boy on my door step asking for your hand in marriage then a stupid , uneducated American black boy ... they don't even go to collage all they do is hang out on the street's selling drug's ... you know that they don't even marry ...ehhhhh... those men are like rabid dog's ... who said I was black , the last time I checked I was Rwandese ... who said I was black , the last time I checked I was Burundian ... who said I was black , the last time I checked I was Sudanese ( Nubian )...ehhhh... do I look black ... those gorilla's "

Good thing's
" ehhhhh ... wow you look Rwandese are you sure your black ... you need to check into that ... your not like the other black boy's ...ehhhh... maybe your Burundian you should look into that ... she's pretty for a black girl ... maybe she's Nubian she should check into that "

“oooooooo”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#8 Oct 19, 2008
Selam wrote:
I am ethiopian and i don blieve that We are black NO question but we like to be called ethiopian beacouse black is very broad.
Mannn, what is wrong with you?? Why are you attacking the person?
Say,What??????????

“oooooooo”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#9 Oct 19, 2008
Selam wrote:
I do blieve that we are black
Yene konijo make up your mind,please.First and second comment,What's up with that??????????
Fish

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

#10 Oct 19, 2008
Go for it.Narrate about sport, rap songs criticize about color.That's what we are.It needs geological ages for us to wake up and discuss about how we come up with an economic development .Sorry for your silly discussion points.
sisay

Ethiopia

#12 Oct 20, 2008
this is completly a dick heads forum .Why racism we have to be a proud negros
blah

Stellenbosch, South Africa

#13 Oct 21, 2008
Those who are truly Ethiopians have the skin with the darker complexion and we totally proud of that. I always thank GOD for that. In fact, using skin color as an identity based on partiality is not acceptable by Ethiopians. Even as our name "ETHIOPIA" implies we are "people with sun burned face". However, because of the misuse of skin color by the westerns for racial purpose, people don't like to identify themselves with blackness instead we like to consider ourselves as 'brown chocolate'. SHAME. Still we are under colonial influence buddy. Sorry! Being human sucks! Good to be an alien if you wanna join my club.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#14 Oct 25, 2008
Ethiopian's , Nigerian's , Upper Egyptian's , Rwandan 's , Zimbabwean's were all black ... the sole children of Mother Africa ... we are all divine !!!

“Me @ hotmail.com”

Since: May 08

Toronto

#15 Oct 25, 2008
Greggriffin111 wrote:
Ethiopian's , Nigerian's , Upper Egyptian's , Rwandan 's , Zimbabwean's were all black ... the sole children of Mother Africa ... we are all divine !!!
Greg can you remember the thread you were commenting on in earlier in the spring/summer? you put up a lot of good accademic material at that time.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#16 Oct 25, 2008
sabonis15 wrote:
<quoted text>
Greg can you remember the thread you were commenting on in earlier in the spring/summer? you put up a lot of good accademic material at that time.
Do you remember what I was talking ...East African's or the origin of the Ancient Egyptian's ... I 'm all over the place sometimes .

“Me @ hotmail.com”

Since: May 08

Toronto

#17 Oct 25, 2008
Greggriffin111 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you remember what I was talking ...East African's or the origin of the Ancient Egyptian's ... I 'm all over the place sometimes .
East africans.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#18 Oct 26, 2008
sabonis15 wrote:
<quoted text>
East africans.
Go back to the " Ethiopian , Eritrean , Somalian people " thread I posted up some thing's that may help !!!

“Me @ hotmail.com”

Since: May 08

Toronto

#19 Oct 26, 2008
Greggriffin111 wrote:
<quoted text>
Go back to the " Ethiopian , Eritrean , Somalian people " thread I posted up some thing's that may help !!!
Gracias. I also want to publicize it on this thread, since the topic was the same, and you're more an expert than I.
ETHIOS-FRIEND

La Mesa, CA

#20 Oct 26, 2008
According to the terminology, "black", we are all black. Black is another word for "dark skinned" African. When you see most of the inhabitants of Africa, you mainly see the color black or a variation of it i.e. brown, etc. I believe that 'some' may disclaim the terminology 'black' out of ignorance, the ignorance of believing that if you claim that you are "black", you are in actuality denying your culture and losing your identity. Once knowledge is spread and people come to grips with the definition of what "black" means, I believe that most intelligent minded people will accept it, even if for only political correctness. Common sense is that if you live in America, look a certain way and to deny blackness is only to make yourself look as a fool IMO. Saying you are black will not negate the fact that you are from another country. I have black friends from Panama and when describing them, I still call them Panamanian. If from Cuba, cuban, or "that brother from Cuba." See, no identity is lost, only unity is gained.

“Me @ hotmail.com”

Since: May 08

Toronto

#21 Oct 26, 2008
ETHIOS-FRIEND wrote:
According to the terminology, "black", we are all black. Black is another word for "dark skinned" African. When you see most of the inhabitants of Africa, you mainly see the color black or a variation of it i.e. brown, etc. I believe that 'some' may disclaim the terminology 'black' out of ignorance, the ignorance of believing that if you claim that you are "black", you are in actuality denying your culture and losing your identity. Once knowledge is spread and people come to grips with the definition of what "black" means, I believe that most intelligent minded people will accept it, even if for only political correctness. Common sense is that if you live in America, look a certain way and to deny blackness is only to make yourself look as a fool IMO. Saying you are black will not negate the fact that you are from another country. I have black friends from Panama and when describing them, I still call them Panamanian. If from Cuba, cuban, or "that brother from Cuba." See, no identity is lost, only unity is gained.
Don't forget though that the label black is a legacy of colonial rule and the period of both the destruction of africa and the systematic enslavement of west africans. Many liberation theory based scholars attack the term for that very reason, like the bit in Spike Lee's X where Malcom x is shown that the definitions of black and white in the dictionary are linked to all kinds of ideas beyond just the colour (not to mention that I've never seen someone who is literally white ore black). Maybe to expand on the theme, it should be, do E/E people consider themselves to be culturally and politically alligned with broader african issues. And if some say no, don't be surprised, since europeans have found a million reasons to fight in spite of our similarities. Same with people in east asia, or central asia or south America.
ETHIOS-FRIEND

La Mesa, CA

#22 Oct 26, 2008
sabonis15 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget though that the label black is a legacy of colonial rule and the period of both the destruction of africa and the systematic enslavement of west africans. Many liberation theory based scholars attack the term for that very reason, like the bit in Spike Lee's X where Malcom x is shown that the definitions of black and white in the dictionary are linked to all kinds of ideas beyond just the colour (not to mention that I've never seen someone who is literally white ore black). Maybe to expand on the theme, it should be, do E/E people consider themselves to be culturally and politically alligned with broader african issues. And if some say no, don't be surprised, since europeans have found a million reasons to fight in spite of our similarities. Same with people in east asia, or central asia or south America.
I hear what you are saying but at the same time, there is a difference in the biblical definition of darkness and light in comparison to white, black etc. i.e. skin color. In biblical terms, darkness speaks and symbolizes the night, when no man can see, and it is not talking about black I may add. Light is talking about a time when man can see, and is not talking about white. Skin color and geological essences and realisms are not the same. If we want to parallel skin color with these essences that we call night and day, we must approach it from a positive standpoint, i.e., day was meant for work and night for sleep. We must not look at the negative connotations that one may bring to mind when reading Merriam Webster. It was the same God that made us all, whether black or white, he saw that all was good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 46
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ethiopia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ethiopia : 2063 - Should start building Nuclear... Jun 24 Anonymous 5
Is ISRAEL BLACKMAILING the United States of Ame... (Jan '14) Jun 23 Anonymous 29
Ethiopians are NOT Black!!!!! (Feb '12) Jun 23 Anonymous 2,638
Stupid Amharas/Gurage: Shabia won't help you Jun 22 GreaterEthiopia 1
Why do countries dislike Somalis? (Jan '15) Jun 22 Anonymous 102
I'm worried about Walelign Jun 21 Habesha 2
Why aren't ethiopians obsessed with bantus like... (Mar '13) Jun 21 Anonymous 28
More from around the web