Are the Oromo people considered Habesha?

Posted in the Ethiopia Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“King Solomon II”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#1 Sep 8, 2012
According to Wikipedia, "Peoples referred to as "Habesha" today include the Amhara, Tigray-Tigrinya and Tigre ethnic groups of Ethiopia and Eritrea, who are predominantly Oriental Christians and have been since AD 332, with the exception of the Tigre who are predominantly Muslim. The Amhara and Tigray ethnicities combined make up about 33% of Ethiopia's population (ca. 24.6 million Amhara, 5.5 million Tigray), while the Tigrinya and Tigre combined make up 85%(55% plus 30% respectively) of Eritrea's population (ca. 5 of 5.9 million)."

To the Oromo members of Topix, would you agree to the consideration of being labeled Habesha? Yes or no, furthermore could you explain.Thank you I am mainly interested in learning more about the Oromo people.
Oromo sniper-1

Arlington, VA

#2 Sep 8, 2012
no we are not habesha and we never called ourselves habeshas, we willnever callourselve wit that ugly name. we are plain Oromos and our counry is Oromiya with cushetic origins. so ake your habesha crap back and have your fantacy with it in your small perverted darky mind.
one more thing, since you are perverted homo eretus minded immigrant on oromoland, i just advise u to leave peacefully now. trust me time is ending fast and u gonna regret for ever coming to oromoland ilegally!

“King Solomon II”

Location hidden

#3 Sep 9, 2012
TABEL 6 : POPULATION SIZE OF REGIONS BY RELIGION AND PLACE OF RESIDENCE: 2007

Religion Urban + Rural Urban
NO.% NO.%
OROMIA Region
All Persons 27,158,471 100

Orthodox 8,269,813 30.5

Muslim/Islam 12,886,961 47.5

“King Solomon II”

Location hidden

#4 Sep 9, 2012
The following is a summary of the author Gadaa Melbaa,“During the process of colonisation, between 1870 and 1900, the Oromo population was reduced from ten to five millions. This period coincides with the occupation of Oromo land by the Abyssinian emperors Yohannes and Menilek. After colonisation, these emperors and their successors continued to treat Oromo with utmost cruelty. Many were killed by the colonial army and settlers, others died of famine and epidemics of various diseases or were sold off as slaves. Those who remained on the land were reduced to the status of gabbar (a peasant from whom labour and produce is exacted and is a crude form of serfdom).
Haile Selassie consolidated Yohannes and Meniiek's gains and with the use of violence, obstructed the process of natural and historical development of the Oromo society - political, economic and social. In all spheres of life, discrimination, subjugation, repression and exploitation of all forms were applied. Everything possible was done to destroy Oromo identity - culture, language, custom, tradition, name and origin. In short Haile Selassie maintained the general policy of genocide against the Oromo.
The 1974 revolution was brought about by the relentless struggle over several years by, among others, the Oromo peasants. The military junta, headed by Mengistu Haile-Mariam, usurped power and took over the revolution. This regime has continued on the path of emperors Yohannes, Menilek and Haile Selassie in the oppression, subjugation and exploitation of Oromo, the settlement of Abyssinians on Oromo land and the policy of genocide.
Forced to fight against Eritreans, the Somalis and others, many Oromo have fallen in battle. Many others have died on the streets of cities and towns during the so-called "Red Terror" period and in a similar programme that has been expanded in the countryside since then. Massacres in towns and villages coupled with bombing and search and destroy programmes have caused the destruction of human lives, crops, animals and property, have driven Oromo from their land and forced them to seek refuge in neighbouring countries. Not surprisingly, this ruthless oppression and persecution of peoples has resulted in the largest flight of refugees in Africa. A very large proportion of the refugees in the Horn of Africa are Oromo.
In its attempt to oppress and eliminate the essential elements of Oromo culture, the present regime has used cover-up words such as 'development, relief, settlement, villagization and literacy campaign' to mislead the world. In fact most of these programmes and projects have been aimed at displacing Oromo people and denying them freedom, justice, human dignity and peace, thereby hastening the process of Amharization or de-Oromization.
The struggle of the Oromo people, then, is nothing more than an attempt to affirm their own place in history. It seeks equality, human dignity, democracy, freedom and peace. It is not directed against the masses of a particular nation or nationality, nor against individuals, but rather against Ethiopian colonialism led by the Amhara ruling class and the naftanyas (Amhara colonial settlers) and against feudalism and imperialism. Thus it is the Ethiopian colonial system and not the Amhara masses or individuals which is under critical consideration.
Today when nearly all of the African peoples have won independence, the Oromo continue to suffer under the most backward and savage Ethiopian settler colonialism. All genuinely democratic and progressive individuals and groups, including members of the oppressor nation, Amhara, who believe in peace, human dignity and liberty should support the Oromo struggle for liberation.
Although the Oromo nation is one of the largest in Africa, it is forgotten by or still unknown to the majority of the world today. Unfortunately even the name Oromo is unknown to many, and this should not be allowed to continue."

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#5 Sep 9, 2012
Oromos have always been considered Habesha. But after TPLF came to power, inorder to separate them from the rest, they gradually pushed them out. So, Habesha/Abesha began to have a new meaning. After 2005, Habesha has come to mean Amhara, Gurage, Tigre, Argoba and Hadere.

Some TPLFites infact think only Tigre is habesha now.
just stand up

Chicago, IL

#6 Sep 9, 2012
mo, never. a lot of them have been mixed with habesha for the last centuries cuz lets face it, almost all ethnic groups in ethiopia has encountered and mixed with habesha, thats why oromos look no different. but, they are cushitic, so now.
Alex

United States

#7 Sep 9, 2012
LogicMagic wrote:
Oromos have always been considered Habesha. But after TPLF came to power, inorder to separate them from the rest, they gradually pushed them out. So, Habesha/Abesha began to have a new meaning. After 2005, Habesha has come to mean Amhara, Gurage, Tigre, Argoba and Hadere.
Stop insulting Gursage.
Harari

Netherlands

#8 Sep 9, 2012
Please note that the term "Habesha" is misleading term, because it's just a pseudonym, there ain't no such thing as a Habesha people or habesha language in Ethiopia.
Fanuel

Europe

#9 Sep 9, 2012
LogicMagic wrote:
just stick with your own amhara and tigray and leave gurages alone and its harari not hadere.
elias

El Monte, CA

#10 Sep 14, 2012
Oromo is not habesba .never called them selves.the terminilogy commenly used to the people of semetic language speaking amharas and tigre who immigrated from southern arabia .their relatives in arab world still use to the word habesh to identify them.oromo identify them self as cush.oromo are ancient peoples of east with beloved country oromia,have its own flag ,culture and language.on the contarary the habesha peoples are known for their magic,protistution and beggary through out the world.have a good day
Gee 17

Stafford, VA

#11 Sep 14, 2012
elias wrote:
on the contarary the habesha peoples are known for their magic,protistution and beggary through out the world.have a good day
I assume you are talking about the Habesha people in both Eritrea and Ethiopia..Aren't you?
Genuine Ethiopian

Ethiopia

#12 Sep 14, 2012
Habesha, Abesha.......! All Human Beings are Created by Jesus Christ!
What's Wrong With U! Think in Mind!
LONG LIVE ETHIOPIA!
elias

El Monte, CA

#13 Sep 14, 2012
Gee 17 wrote:
<quoted text>
I assume you are talking about the Habesha people in both Eritrea and Ethiopia..Aren't you?
you got it right!
Harari

Netherlands

#14 Sep 14, 2012
elias wrote:
Oromo is not habesba .never called them selves.the terminilogy commenly used to the people of semetic language speaking amharas and tigre who immigrated from southern arabia .their relatives in arab world still use to the word habesh to identify them.oromo identify them self as cush.oromo are ancient peoples of east with beloved country oromia,have its own flag ,culture and language.on the contarary the habesha peoples are known for their magic,protistution and beggary through out the world.have a good day
First and foremost, these Tigrians and Amhara of today look a lot like their ancient Agew ancestors not Arab, they are not Arab and they have nothing in common with Southern Arabian, And secondly, Oromos don't identify themselves as Cush or Cushitic, which has become an internet sensation recently, those identifying themselves as Cush are Oromos refugees in minneapolis.

And by the way, I think Oromo women should absolutely be sterilized permanently because Oromos are lazy stupid parasites, disgusting ugly people, they are not useful at all, Harar in 1940 was the greatest town in Ethiopia, It was filled with beautiful hard working Hararis.

Harar is now overrun by ugly bantu Oromos rats.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3333/580783879...

Gee 17

Stafford, VA

#15 Sep 14, 2012
Harari wrote:
<quoted text>

Wow, what is wrong with you? Last time you were calling them they are your Muslim brothers and sisters, but now you are calling them rats????
Harari

Netherlands

#16 Sep 14, 2012
Gee 17 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, what is wrong with you? Last time you were calling them they are your Muslim brothers and sisters, but now you are calling them rats????
Yes but not anymore, I changed my mind, Oromos are worse than rats.
Harari

Netherlands

#17 Sep 14, 2012
Not only Oromo women but also Oromo men should absolutely be sterilized permanently.
Gee 17

Stafford, VA

#18 Sep 14, 2012
Harari wrote:
Not only Oromo women but also Oromo men should absolutely be sterilized permanently.
Sterilized or not, Oromo men soon will be fully in charge of Harere.
Harari

Netherlands

#19 Sep 14, 2012
Gee 17 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sterilized or not, Oromo men soon will be fully in charge of Harere.
Over our dead body!
cognito

San Jose, CA

#20 Sep 14, 2012
Harari wrote:
<quoted text>
First and foremost, these Tigrians and Amhara of today look a lot like their ancient Agew ancestors not Arab, they are not Arab and they have nothing in common with Southern Arabian, And secondly, Oromos don't identify themselves as Cush or Cushitic, which has become an internet sensation recently, those identifying themselves as Cush are Oromos refugees in minneapolis.
And by the way, I think Oromo women should absolutely be sterilized permanently because Oromos are lazy stupid parasites, disgusting ugly people, they are not useful at all, Harar in 1940 was the greatest town in Ethiopia, It was filled with beautiful hard working Hararis.
You are too stupid to be from Harar, for all I know, you never set your foot in Hararge. If you did, you must be one of those ‘chebude’s sons as from Dorzes, who were ‘metes’ and used to deliver a water on a donkey house to house, when I was a kid growing up in the city of dire dewa…LOL
let us see, prove you are from Adere ethnicity: say something in that language, no excuse whatsoever for those Aderes, even those who grew up in Addis, for that matter anywhere proper in Ethiopia do speak the language!
Your failure to convince Harar Oromos: the way to go about is to establish a ‘theocracy’à la Iran style,
Shouldn’t give you an exercise in a carte blanche, to insult their intelligence. You are one more idiot among many who have tried and failed miserably, for simple fact they won’t buy into that crap! They know they are Muslims and have a respect for all people of the book –‘ahlul ketab’.
It is time to get off your high horse and smell the Oromo coffee &#61514;…being knowledgeable of Islam and Muslim related issue(s) goes beyond uttering ‘Alhamdulillah’, for anyone can utter that word to throw off track, people who otherwise are suspicious that you are NOT even a Muslim to begin with, and doesn’t act like one!
I am waiting for you to disprove me wrong…as the mean time tata!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ethiopia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ethiopia. Thu Zewdi 51
What Music are you listening? Thu Zewdi 3
how do I find out if possible I am part ethiopian? (Oct '12) Mar 4 BeautyIsEverything 23
Will you marry me (in Amharic) (Jan '08) Mar 4 kidist 152
I hate Ethiopians! (Nov '13) Mar 3 PrideSpeaks 46
Ladies Do you prefer Black or White or habesha ... (Mar '13) Mar 2 OgadenPrincess 38
Why do Ethiopians hate Somali and Eritreans so ... (Jun '10) Mar 1 OgadenPrincess 169
More from around the web