The real difference between Ethiopian...

The real difference between Ethiopian and Somali?

Posted in the Ethiopia Forum

First Prev
of 30
Next Last

“ "One Love"”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#1 Oct 1, 2009
Ok for the most part I can tell if someone is Ethiopian, or Somali but What's the real difference between us we can tell apart?? Don't include HIGHT or HAIR because either one of us can be have both. but I'm saying specific facial features??
Somali

Woodbridge, Canada

#2 Oct 1, 2009
Ethiopian is a nationality, not an ethnic group. For example, Oromo's and Amhara's are not part of the same ethnic group but share the same nation.
If you specify a specific ethnic group, then maybe people can explain the difference.
Somali's and Oromo's and Afars are closely related and tend to look similar. While Habesha's usually look different from the rest. That's just my observation.
Either way, we are somewhat related. We do have our issues with each other. It also depends on the proximity, Oromo's and Afar's live the closest to Somali's in terms of settlement. So, there is a definite relation there.

“My Shining Star”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#3 Oct 1, 2009
Ish. You have the very same grandpapa who is speculated to have lived near the Omo River Valley for some vast period of ancient history, so I don't think it even matters at this point.

“ "One Love"”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#4 Oct 1, 2009
Somali wrote:
Ethiopian is a nationality, not an ethnic group. For example, Oromo's and Amhara's are not part of the same ethnic group but share the same nation.
If you specify a specific ethnic group, then maybe people can explain the difference.
Somali's and Oromo's and Afars are closely related and tend to look similar. While Habesha's usually look different from the rest. That's just my observation.
Either way, we are somewhat related. We do have our issues with each other. It also depends on the proximity, Oromo's and Afar's live the closest to Somali's in terms of settlement. So, there is a definite relation there.
Yea I was wrong for that. I meant Habesha,oromo compare to Somali.
ZamZam

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Oct 2, 2009
Oromos don't look Somali, I think Somalis look better than them..although some Oromos look Somali.
ZamZam

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Oct 2, 2009
I just can tell who's Somali from who's other groups. Although some Ethiopians used to ask me if I was Ethiopian, I used to be offended because I didn't know much about Ethiopians as I thought they were not good-looking.
Ethiopian in Exile

Europe

#7 Oct 2, 2009
ZamZam oromo like to mixed because, they dnt like there own. All oromos want to mix with us habashas, and many mixed with exslaves like them! in 100s u wont hear oromo because they r amharized thus habashaized. i hate zoo malis but, not as much as oromos!
Somali

Mississauga, Canada

#8 Oct 2, 2009
Bini Ethio wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea I was wrong for that. I meant Habesha,oromo compare to Somali.
OK, I am confused here. Are Oromo's Habesha or not? Habesha is not even an ethnic group... Oromo's are our blood- relatives, though very distant. I feel that they are like kin.
Somali

Mississauga, Canada

#9 Oct 2, 2009
Princess Lovable S wrote:
Ish. You have the very same grandpapa who is speculated to have lived near the Omo River Valley for some vast period of ancient history, so I don't think it even matters at this point.
It really does matter, Princess. We are 2 separate ethnic groups. Even though we are related, we have gone our separate ways and have split many 1000's of years ago.
habesha person

Fairfax, VA

#10 Oct 2, 2009
Bini Ethio wrote:
Ok for the most part I can tell if someone is Ethiopian, or Somali but What's the real difference between us we can tell apart?? Don't include HIGHT or HAIR because either one of us can be have both. but I'm saying specific facial features??
there are different ethnic groups.. but for the most part somalis are darker skinned than habeshas and more gracile in looks i.e thinner more straighter nose and hair and face.. basically they look more indian while we look more rugged featured like arabs (hooked nose, robust face etc).. I dont know about oromos though.. they seem to have both looks or just look black ie nilotid..
habesha person

Fairfax, VA

#11 Oct 2, 2009
Princess Lovable S wrote:
are you kidding me????? our paternal haplogroups are waaayyyy different. or in non scientific terms.. we had way different ancestors ;).. For the most part they are nearly all e1b1b1 while habeshas carry it at freq. of around 40 or so percent.. Idk about oromos though they are more closely related to them
habesha person

Fairfax, VA

#12 Oct 2, 2009
Somali wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, I am confused here. Are Oromo's Habesha or not? Habesha is not even an ethnic group... Oromo's are our blood- relatives, though very distant. I feel that they are like kin.
no they arent habesha.. Habesha is an ethnic group comprising of both tigirignya and amhara..

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#13 Oct 2, 2009
Ethiopians are more libral and open minded compare to Somalis.

I am not trying to say we are better or less, there are alot of diffrents b/n us.

Location hidden

#14 Oct 2, 2009
The average Somali have softer hair compare to Ethiopians. The average Ethiopians are lighter than Somalis
Somalis are taller than most Ethiopians

Somalis aren't divers like Ethiopians. That is cuz we are made up of different tribes, language, etc...

We don’t stick together like Somalis. U will find so many Ethiopians socializing and becoming friends with people who aren’t Ethiopian. But it’s rare seeing Somalis that have friends who aren’t Somali and if they are, they are probably Muslim
Most Somalis man have more than one wives compare to Ethiopian
Number of house hold in most Somalis house is bigger than Ethiopian
Somalis love to talk about Ethiopians in a bad way….this is almost always true
The average Somali will put Arabs before anyone from Africa….

“Son of Oromo”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#15 Oct 2, 2009
ZamZam wrote:
Oromos don't look Somali, I think Somalis look better than them..although some Oromos look Somali.
Why are you here?
To bash on oromos? What have oromos done to u?
Do u see oromos bashing u all on ur forum?
Well it looks like everybody wants to attack the voiceless.

“Son of Oromo”

Location hidden

#16 Oct 2, 2009
ZamZam wrote:
I just can tell who's Somali from who's other groups. Although some Ethiopians used to ask me if I was Ethiopian, I used to be offended because I didn't know much about Ethiopians as I thought they were not good-looking.
Look at u. Feeling all gushy b/c some ignorant american confused u for an ethiopian. Your mentality is "SHyt the himar are have pure hatred for oromo, why cant i?" Should make since tho b/c you prolly come from the somali-lands that worship himar qumatas.

Location hidden

#17 Oct 2, 2009
kill Neftegna n Woyane wrote:
<quoted text>Why are you here?
To bash on oromos? What have oromos done to u?
Do u see oromos bashing u all on ur forum?
Well it looks like everybody wants to attack the voiceless.
She can be cool but off alot of times lol

“Son of Oromo”

Location hidden

#18 Oct 2, 2009
Somali wrote:
<quoted text>
thanks, so do i.
I personally come from the lines that split oromo and somali lands in eastern ethiopia(literally really). But we are not habasha and dont want to be. Only small pockets of lands such shewa and some wollo( but not real oromo wollo) want to be with amara. Though i think we r not so distant as u might think.

“Son of Oromo”

Location hidden

#19 Oct 2, 2009
Ethiopian in Exile wrote:
ZamZam oromo like to mixed because, they dnt like there own. All oromos want to mix with us habashas, and many mixed with exslaves like them! in 100s u wont hear oromo because they r amharized thus habashaized. i hate zoo malis but, not as much as oromos!
i am beginning to think this is an eri agent. U identity hiding scum reveal urself. If u are a man face me! Stop talking bout us in third person and stop claiming amara b/c all know u r not.

“My Shining Star”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#20 Oct 2, 2009
Somali wrote:
<quoted text>
It really does matter, Princess. We are 2 separate ethnic groups. Even though we are related, we have gone our separate ways and have split many 1000's of years ago.
Ya, but Nigerians still see African Americans as having the same root. I understand that all cultures cannot get along, however.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 30
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ethiopia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ethiopian girls are becoming the new somali gir... 1 hr Walelign 3
Is ISRAEL BLACKMAILING the United States of Ame... (Jan '14) 5 hr Anonymous 33
Isayas, hero if Eritrean Christians 16 hr Anonymous 9
Why do Ethiopians eat Raw Meat (Jan '13) 20 hr Walelign 73
Amara power 20 hr Walelign 6
Ethiopians are NOT Black!!!!! (Feb '12) Sat Anonymous 2,660
Is masterbating a sin? When it comes to Christi... (May '10) Sep 22 Boko Palmach 90
More from around the web