Ethiopian names / amharic meaning
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
getu

Minneapolis, MN

#23 Dec 23, 2009
Leenda wrote:
So it looks like most of the research should be done by me, here, and not expect my friend to have as much information or support in ET. I will keep that in mind. He is young (19) and does not have the support of family in ET so we are attempting by God's grace to get all the guidance and direction we need to help him through this. Sounds like we need great strength of heart to pursue this adventure! Thank you for your help Getu! I am sure I will be back with more questions for you:)
I just remembered a very important organization, who can help you in such matter. Here in my cities, the Lutheran Church does sponsor a lot of people from that part of the horn. When I say a lot, I mean in 1000s. Since churches have a good platform to announce such endeavour, I suggest, you should go to one the bigger church and ask them if they are willing or if they can connect you with some organization> I am sure you will get some good information out of all these. Good luck
Leenda

Renton, WA

#24 Dec 28, 2009
Great suggestion- thank you!
proethio

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

#25 Jan 4, 2010
getu wrote:
<quoted text>
For male..........It is a very unique and a very an usual name. Undoubtedly an an Amhara name. Hence it is that since these people's religion of 1700 years does manifest and come to play in every fact of their life, it is also true in naming of a child.
Invariably , name are given to a child in such a way that it will rhyme with the father's name to give a complete and the intent of naming a child in the first place. After all naming and selecting a name is very important in every traditional or otherwise of a society. In this case, the literal meaning of GENE-NEW" a future continuous tense, meaning 'NOT YET COMPLETED". The parents of this child are expecting a miracle, which will be completed to be a better person in his station in life, either materially or spiritually, which will be fulfilled as it been told in the Old Testament that was completed in the New Testament.
I hope it will help you in understanding the essence of what hope and wishes of his parent was. Or you can give an American name, since he is going to be one among the many blacks such as Leroy or Baba, since forever his is uprooted from environment, despite all the condition of my country
I think there is a difference between GENA-NEW and GENENEW.
getu

Minneapolis, MN

#26 Jan 4, 2010
proethio wrote:
<quoted text>
I think there is a difference between GENA-NEW and GENENEW.
Yes, you are so right
andie

Santa Clara, CA

#27 Feb 24, 2011
hi everyone! my brother's name, who we adopted from ethiopia just 2 years ago, is Abiti. I heard it wasn't a common name in Ethiopia. In fact, more of a nickname. Do you know any meaning behind this name? Thanks.
Alice

Calgary, Canada

#28 Mar 8, 2011
Getu, can you help me with the translation of "Besufekad". My daughter and son in law have recently adopted a little boy with this name (from the AWASH region) and cannot find out what it means. Their other son is Abenazar - which we are told means "this far the Lord has brought me".

I see that there are several well known Ethiopian entertainers with the name Besufekad.

Thanks,
Alice
Gennete

Santa Cruz, Trinidad and Tobago

#29 Aug 21, 2012
what does Buruq Fikir mean in amharic..thanks to whoever answer...selamta
Willy

Ethiopia

#30 Aug 21, 2012
Gennete wrote:
what does Buruq Fikir mean in amharic..thanks to whoever answer...selamta
Hi Gennete! how come your name is Gennete (Paradise) and you ask for translations in to Amharic? Anyways here is the translation if it can help:
Buruk(not buruq)= Blessed
Fikir = Love so if the two are somehow joined Buruk fikir means blessed love.

Thanks!
Zewdu

Ethiopia

#31 Aug 21, 2012
Alice wrote:
Getu, can you help me with the translation of "Besufekad". My daughter and son in law have recently adopted a little boy with this name (from the AWASH region) and cannot find out what it means. Their other son is Abenazar - which we are told means "this far the Lord has brought me".
I see that there are several well known Ethiopian entertainers with the name Besufekad.
Thanks,
Alice
Besufekad= in Gods will; just to imply I got you in Gods will/He permitted me to have you.
Zewdu

Ethiopia

#32 Aug 21, 2012
andie wrote:
hi everyone! my brother's name, who we adopted from ethiopia just 2 years ago, is Abiti. I heard it wasn't a common name in Ethiopia. In fact, more of a nickname. Do you know any meaning behind this name? Thanks.
Abiti=Kid(for males) Most probably with it's origins in the Oromo language.
Jerry

Georgetown, TX

#33 Oct 13, 2012
Does anybody know the meaning of the name Fayo?
Katlova

Nashville, TN

#34 Oct 30, 2012
MY name is kalkidan so you got it right good job! PS I already knew what my name ment i was testin ya
Gelaye

Hamburg, Germany

#36 Jan 16, 2013
Ethiopian, esp. Amharic names have special and important meanings, which are usually given by parents. The name Gena new: is a two word name, and means "he /or it is not yet..." Remember it refers to a male child. There might be several possible meanings: First, the parents are looking forward to have another male child in the future; Second, the name might directly refer to the ambition of the father, who is aspiring to get more children, to obtain more wealth, hope, titles, promotion, etc; Third, the name also might refer to a "good time" (politica), that might not yet come to happen; or it might also refer to the call, judge of God have not yet accomplished, fulfiled, etc. This is a very impressive name and I wish the parents all the best.
kal

Washington, DC

#37 Apr 16, 2014
does any body know what Zerabiruck means? because it's my liitle brother's name and I do not know what it means...?
patrick

Amarillo, TX

#38 Mar 17, 2015
Patrick

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ethiopia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why are african americans always the worlds mos... 6 hr Artan-Arta 2
Any Atheist Ethiopians? Logic Beats Nonsense 6 hr Artan-Arta 2
Ladies Do you prefer Black or White or habesha ... (Mar '13) 7 hr Artan-Arta 46
Ethiopian-Oromo Who Doesn't Support Oromia 7 hr Artan-Arta 2
why does African women love leaking white men's... (Jun '12) 19 hr Abkabato 6
how come ethiopian men and woman do not like ea... (Aug '12) 19 hr Abkabato 103
why do ethiopians hate african americans? (Jul '12) 19 hr Abkabato 62
More from around the web